PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox bring Dye or Thome back as DH?

Danielgosox38
12-20-2009, 05:39 AM
If the Sox don't sign a DH, I think they should re-sign either Dye or Thome. Just because Dye had a terrible second half of season, doesn't mean that he is finished. What do you think? And which would you rather have back?

guillen4life13
12-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Depending on the price, they could do much worse than Dye.

Lillian
12-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Neither player is likely to be brought back. However, if one were to return it would be Thome. Assuming that his second half collapse last season was an aberration, Dye is probably going to be more productive at this stage in his career. However the Sox simply do not need another right handed hitter. Therefore Thome is the better fit.

Danielgosox38
12-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Neither player is likely to be brought back. However, if one were to return it would be Thome. Assuming that his second half collapse last season was an aberration, Dye is probably going to be more productive at this stage in his career. However the Sox simply do not need another right handed hitter. Therefore Thome is the better fit.

If KW doesn't pick up anyone else, I rather have Dye or Thome than the rotating DH anyday of the week.

Chez
12-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I think Dye will find work elsewhere -- though it may not be until right before Spring Training. Thome is more likely to be available at the right price. I would prefer the Sox to find a more athletic alternative than Thome. Big Jim is working out everyday at my health club in Willowbrook.

voodoochile
12-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Vlad is another option and I am sure there are others. Aging sluggers who are mostly or entirely DH material are going to be available after the new year. KW can afford to wait and see how the market shakes out a bit and then land someone for a small base plus incentives to give the Sox something more concrete than the current flexibility affords.

RedPinStripes
12-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Vlad is another option and I am sure there are others. Aging sluggers who are mostly or entirely DH material are going to be available after the new year. KW can afford to wait and see how the market shakes out a bit and then land someone for a small base plus incentives to give the Sox something more concrete than the current flexibility affords.

Vlad is the only option I want as a full time DH. Other then him, I like the direction they're going. I always liked the idea of using the DH to rest guys instead of having a softball player there who can't run or play the field when you need him to.

Danielgosox38
12-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Vlad is the only option I want as a full time DH. Other then him, I like the direction they're going. I always liked the idea of using the DH to rest guys instead of having a softball player there who can't run or play the field when you need him to.

I agree, but the problem is the people they want to rotate DH probably aren't capable of giving us the kind of consistent production that we need.

russ99
12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree, but the problem is the people they want to rotate DH probably aren't capable of giving us the kind of consistent production that we need.

The problem with acquiring someone like that now, is that those players are very expensive either in dollars, talent or both.

If Kenny went with what we have now (with the one addition of a backup catcher) and didn't cut salary, I'd be very happy with the overall roster.

That said, I still expect Kenny to add one more name into the Spring RF/DH mix in mid-late January.

He'd also certainly address the DH spot during the season if it became obvious that the production is lacking.

BleacherBandit
12-20-2009, 01:37 PM

That's what I want too, but I think you need a player that fits the profile of a "slugger" but that can still play the field. Maybe someone like Adam Dunn. I know he plays a sub-par right field, but he'll be DH'ing for us primarily, right? However, I do know that Dunn is a very, very, big long-shot, so don't call me out on that!

oeo
12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
If you want a rotating DH, then bring in a capable right fielder. As of now, this lineup isn't scaring anyone.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
If you want a rotating DH, then bring in a capable right fielder. As of now, this lineup isn't scaring anyone.

I think Quentin is a capable RF, but I also understand what you are saying.

If the Sox had another RF, he could share the DH role with Quentin, in order to protect both players.

While Dunn would be OK, I don't think the Sox have to acquire a prototypical "slugger." I would be content with a LH hitter who hits a consistent .300 with 25 homers and 35 doubles.

Redus Redux
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Thome can only play in the AL, and he'll want to play for a team that will give him at-bats and a chance to win. There likely arent many suitors at all.

Unless the Sox are absolutely tired of having him, he'll be here for cheap.

voodoochile
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I think Quentin is a capable RF, but I also understand what you are saying.

If the Sox had another RF, he could share the DH role with Quentin, in order to protect both players.

While Dunn would be OK, I don't think the Sox have to acquire a prototypical "slugger." I would be content with a LH hitter who hits a consistent .300 with 25 homers and 35 doubles.

Oh you'd be content with that would you? I think I'd pass out from hyperventilating in anticipation personally...:tongue:

MikeW
12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I would like to see Jermaine come back on a much cheaper salary. I'm not convinced that he is done yet.

thomas35forever
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd rather not take a chance on Jermaine. The way he dropped off in the second half last year is likely a warning sign that his best days are behind him (though that would have been the case anyway). I wouldn't mind seeing Thome come back, but separate him from Konerko in the lineup. If the team is trying to avoid one base-clogger hitting after another, that's the approach they need to take.

tstrike2000
12-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Perhaps look at Dye or Thome as fallback options, but if KW waits till that point, they'll probably will have signed with other teams. Hopefully, he'll find someone else before then.

beasly213
12-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd prefer JD over Thome. I think Dye has had bad second halfs the last couple years partially due to fatigue. I think having him part time DH/play RF (Which he has said he wants to do) should help him with that.

MARTINMVP
12-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I see more of an upside with Thomse for DH rather than Dye. I guess we'll see what happens.

Lip Man 1
12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Neither thank you.

You don't publicly talk about heading in a different direction, and reshape your 25 man roster to accelerate that process than bring the guys who you dumped back.

Lip

chisox77
12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Neither thank you.

You don't publicly talk about heading in a different direction, and reshape your 25 man roster to accelerate that process than bring the guys who you dumped back.

Lip

I agree with this.

JD and Thome were very productive players for the White Sox, but a different direction is needed.

tm1119
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I think its pretty obvious that we need a LH hitter. We cant possibly have Beckham, TCQ, Rios, PK, and Alexei hitting in the middle of our lineup without a LH hitter to break that up. I wouldnt mind Delgado or Blalock as DH options. Delgado would be primarily be the DH with an occasional spot start at 1B to give PK some rest at DH. Blalock could play some 3B with Teahen moving to RF to give Quentin rest at DH. Blalock could also play 1B when needed. After those 2 the only options I see are Huff, Thome, Cust and Branyan(in that order) in the FA pool. All of those are probably platoon players though. Ideally I would like to pick up a LH power hitter in a trade for a couple of prospects not named Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, Mitchell, or Morell.

Scottiehaswheels
12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Sign Dye to a April-June contract and Thome to a July-Oct one. :smile:

Shoeless
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Sign Dye to a April-June contract and Thome to a July-Oct one. :smile:

While we're at it, let's trade Alexei for April only

Hitmen77
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
If KW doesn't pick up anyone else, I rather have Dye or Thome than the rotating DH anyday of the week.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. Yes, I'd like to see KW do better at DH than bringing either of these guys back. But, if the plan is to get no one else and go with Kotsay/Jones rotated into the every day lineup to fill the DH spot then absolutely I'd rather have them bring back at least Thome that go with that dreadful plan.

Domeshot17
12-21-2009, 01:12 AM
The problem is the White Sox lineup isn't good, and we need the DH to also be an important offensive player. You can live with a rotating DH if your lineup is strong 1-8, but it has to really be strong, not a whole bunch of question marks. The White Sox currently have a need for a RF or a DH, and also have a need for an RBI producing slugger.

How anyone can be in favor of a Kotsay/Andruw/Vizquel DH situation is beyond me. Its the same as the people who said the Bears don't need to add to the O line or WR when they got Cutler. We have the Starting Rotation to be sick, totally sick. But it won't mean anything if we lose a lot of games 3-2. We have plenty of complimentary players like Rios and Alexei and AJ etc. We have a slightly above average lead off man and a solid 2 hitter in Beckham. However the only hitter on the team likely to hit over 30 homers is Quentin and he hasn't had 1 full time healthy season in his career. The Whitesox absolutely need to add someone who can hit 25-30 homers, drive in 100 rbis and hit in the 3-4-5 spot of the order.

Danielgosox38
12-21-2009, 02:43 AM
The problem is the White Sox lineup isn't good, and we need the DH to also be an important offensive player. You can live with a rotating DH if your lineup is strong 1-8, but it has to really be strong, not a whole bunch of question marks. The White Sox currently have a need for a RF or a DH, and also have a need for an RBI producing slugger.

How anyone can be in favor of a Kotsay/Andruw/Vizquel DH situation is beyond me. Its the same as the people who said the Bears don't need to add to the O line or WR when they got Cutler. We have the Starting Rotation to be sick, totally sick. But it won't mean anything if we lose a lot of games 3-2. We have plenty of complimentary players like Rios and Alexei and AJ etc. We have a slightly above average lead off man and a solid 2 hitter in Beckham. However the only hitter on the team likely to hit over 30 homers is Quentin and he hasn't had 1 full time healthy season in his career. The Whitesox absolutely need to add someone who can hit 25-30 homers, drive in 100 rbis and hit in the 3-4-5 spot of the order.

I agree. If we start the season with a rotating DH of Kotsay/Vizquel/Jones, we are probably toast. I am shocked more people here aren't concerned about this.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-21-2009, 03:06 AM
You know. Dunn would we perfect for a World Series push... but Thome would make me very happy too. We need someone AMAZING, or someone left handed. Get Thome. Dye is a better all around player, but last year scared me (+ RH).

I think Thome would be a great addition... 2 yr deal, something REAL cheap... let him get 600HRs. :smile:

khan
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM

I also agree with this. Last season, the SOX didn't have a single hitter with an OPS > .850, nor a single 30+ HR hitter, if memory serves. The twins had 3 such hitters, and one more that was close to these thresholds. The Yankees had several >.850 OPS hitters. In fact, every team in the playoffs had more than one >.850 OPS type hitters. Little wonder, then, that the SOX did NOT make the playoffs, despite enjoying relatively solid pitching.

The SOX NEED some thunder to go along with the lightning Pierre provides. If this means bringing back Dye or Thome, so be it. But a weak-sauce, rotating-DH, NL-type lineup won't cut it in the big boy AL.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I never said I was in favor of a rotating DH but that's what Ozzie wants...and has publicly said so, and Kenny continues to say the Sox have no money.

Anyone who wants to donate 20 million to the Sox, "let's get a DH fund..." feel free to. I'm sure Kenny would appreciate it.

Lip

kaufsox
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I never said I was in favor of a rotating DH but that's what Ozzie wants...and has publicly said so, and Kenny continues to say the Sox have no money.

Anyone who wants to donate 20 million to the Sox, "let's get a DH fund..." feel free to. I'm sure Kenny would appreciate it.

Lip

Don't know where the 20mil figure came from, but I don't think it will cost that much. I forget where I read the article, but someone made the great point that the slugger market is kind of saturated right now and the closer we get to the start of the season, the better deals (as far as the teams are concerned) will be out there. Long way to until April.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Kauf:

I assume you didn't want a player just for a single year. Hence the 20 million figure for a multi year deal, perhaps 3 or 4 years.

Lip

khan
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Kauf:

I assume you didn't want a player just for a single year. Hence the 20 million figure for a multi year deal, perhaps 3 or 4 years.

Lip
Weren't you the guy who was lauding Detroit for their previously-profligate spending? Didn't you post, "you have to spend money to make money?" [Or at least, words to that effect?]

And now, you're suggesting that a DH might be out of the SOX's budget, even a rent-a-player like Dye or Thome? To borrow a phrase from a certain coach:

Who you crappin'?

[EDIT] And again, this isn't an attack on you. But I'm of the opinion that the SOX could win the whole thing, IF they upgrade the offense a bit. Yes, we've all seen what KW/Ozzie have said to the media. But it has been shown over the course of their tenures that what they say does not equal what they mean or what they truly want for this team.

Hitmen77
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Kauf:

Lip

I doubt that Thome or Dye are going to get a $20 million deal.

areilly
12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
The Sox, in a roundabout way, already have brought back Jermaine Dye. His name is Andruw Jones.

soxguy
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Dye sucked last year...he is done, and Thome wil just perpetuate the softball team mentality that we have had here for the past 4 years. Give me speed, and manufactured runs any day...NO MORE SOFTBALL

kaufsox
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Kauf:

Lip

Actually I was thinking two years, or (and I'm not clear how this all works, really) one year and an option year. Now would Dye or Thome take such a deal, probably not. However, come late March I think there might be a player or two ready to deal.

kaufsox
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
The Sox, in a roundabout way, already have brought back Jermaine Dye. His name is Andruw Jones.

that is just awesome :D:

NLaloosh
12-22-2009, 05:18 AM

Agreed.

NLaloosh
12-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Dye sucked last year...he is done, and Thome wil just perpetuate the softball team mentality that we have had here for the past 4 years. Give me speed, and manufactured runs any day...NO MORE SOFTBALL

Agreed.

As soon as the Sox add what most people are arguing for ( a big slow left handed lumberjack) to the lineup we'll start to hear new complaints.

'' There's no speed off the bench! Who is going to pinch run late in games? This is a softball team again! Why can't we play like the Twins? Teams are all about speed and defense now, why are the Sox playing an outdated game? We can't manufacture runs! All we do is wait for a three-run homer. etc. etc. etc. "

Craig Grebeck
12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Agreed.

As soon as the Sox add what most people are arguing for ( a big slow left handed lumberjack) to the lineup we'll start to hear new complaints.

'' There's no speed off the bench! Who is going to pinch run late in games? This is a softball team again! Why can't we play like the Twins? Teams are all about speed and defense now, why are the Sox playing an outdated game? We can't manufacture runs! All we do is wait for a three-run homer. etc. etc. etc. "
And those people would be idiots for complaining. Using the rotating DH is a pitiful idea.

Hitmen77
12-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Agreed.

The question on this thread isn't whether Thome or Dye would be the best DH for us. It's whether we should try to bring one of those guys back if the Sox are otherwise going to get nobody else and go with Kotsay/Jones in our everyday lineup.

No doubt the Sox would be better off getting a bona fide power hitter who is younger than Thome or Dye. But I'd take my chances with Thome again if the Sox are otherwise going to go with no new additions to the team and playing Kotsay or Jones every day.

I think Jones is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even last the entire season without being DFA'd. Kotsay is a great addition to our team, but not if we're relying him to be an everyday player in the heart of our lineup. Dye may be finished too, but at least he's only about 1/2 season removed from playing well.

I know KW has already said he doesn't want a DH-only (Thome). But Thome may be our best option if the Sox are indeed bumping up to their salary ceiling. I doubt he's going to command much money (which AL team is going to spend a ton to sign him?) and he said he wants to come back here.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Khan:

Reread my post please....that's what Kenny's saying, that doesn't mean I believe it.

I think you overreacted just a tad there.

:D:

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Hitmen:

No they won't.

I'm assuming you want a good DH so the Sox will probably have to spend a good amount of money to get one on a multi-year deal.

Lip

khan
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Khan:

Reread my post please....that's what Kenny's saying, that doesn't mean I believe it.

I think you overreacted just a tad there.

:D:

Lip
Lip, that may be, but citing a "20 million DH fund" is a bit hyperbolic as well, don't you think?

It probably won't take that much to bring in a reasonable source of power for this team, and this team has little history [since Belle] of making such a purchase. I could be wrong, but in looking at the makeup of this team, a multiyear-contracted DH isn't necessarily what this team needs to compete in 2010.

stevemcstud
12-22-2009, 01:18 PM
If Matsui got $6.5 Million what can Thome really command? $3 Million? $2 Million guaranteed + $2 Million in incentives?

If Thome would come back for $3 Million I am all for it.

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
If Matsui got $6.5 Million what can Thome really command? $3 Million? $2 Million guaranteed + $2 Million in incentives?

If Thome would come back for $3 Million I am all for it.

I think something like that might happen, but not until mid-March. I think the team is going to give Jones a chance first and if he indeed looks washed up, they'll look for someone, but right now the plan is to hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

NLaloosh
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM
The question on this thread isn't whether Thome or Dye would be the best DH for us. It's whether we should try to bring one of those guys back if the Sox are otherwise going to get nobody else and go with Kotsay/Jones in our everyday lineup.

No doubt the Sox would be better off getting a bona fide power hitter who is younger than Thome or Dye. But I'd take my chances with Thome again if the Sox are otherwise going to go with no new additions to the team and playing Kotsay or Jones every day.

I think Jones is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even last the entire season without being DFA'd. Kotsay is a great addition to our team, but not if we're relying him to be an everyday player in the heart of our lineup. Dye may be finished too, but at least he's only about 1/2 season removed from playing well.

I know KW has already said he doesn't want a DH-only (Thome). But Thome may be our best option if the Sox are indeed bumping up to their salary ceiling. I doubt he's going to command much money (which AL team is going to spend a ton to sign him?) and he said he wants to come back here.

What you're missing is that if the Sox add another hitter then that means that there is no room on the bench for a Nix/ Lillibridge type of player.

So, when the team needs a pinchrunner late in games who are they going to send in ? Vizquel? Or, Jones or Kotsay?

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Khan:

My point was in reference to some who were saying they need a DH. OK, if you want a good one you're probably going to have to offer a multi year deal, three or four years for example, for a good one could add up to an 18-20 million dollar price tage.

Now if you want to try to get one for a single year like Vlad, maybe you get him for two or three million but long term that doesn't solve the issue does it?

I agree with those who say this team needs a big RBI guy in the middle of the lineup, you can go the DH route to get it or you can go the route of getting a good corner outfielder and moving Carlos to DH.

Given what Ozzie has said though getting a DH may not be in their plans.

Lip

petekat
12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Jones can still play the field. Sox are clearly not better if they are relying him as a primary DH. Agree with others that Dye still has a lot left in the tank, and he can also occasionally fill in at 1b or OF in a pinch, whereas Jimbo is only a DH/PH. It was painful seeing him with the Dodgers, relegated to 2 Abs a week. Actually, wasn't there talk about converting Dye to 1b? Nice security if they ultimately succeed in getting the Halos to overpay for Paulie.

I think something like that might happen, but not until mid-March. I think the team is going to give Jones a chance first and if he indeed looks washed up, they'll look for someone, but right now the plan is to hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Jones can still play the field. Sox are clearly not better if they are relying him as a primary DH. Agree with others that Dye still has a lot left in the tank, and he can also occasionally fill in at 1b or OF in a pinch, whereas Jimbo is only a DH/PH. It was painful seeing him with the Dodgers, relegated to 2 Abs a week. Actually, wasn't there talk about converting Dye to 1b? Nice security if they ultimately succeed in getting the Halos to overpay for Paulie.

If Jones can hit and play the field then Quentin can be the DH or they can go rotating DH as has been discussed with Quentin, Jones, PK and even Pierre getting the chance to act as DH on a regular basis. The fact remains that whether the Sox need to add a bat comes down to if Jones can hit close to his career averages. If so then they are fine, if not then they need to add a bat, but I don't see the Sox rushing to sign anyone until at least a few weeks into ST to give them a chance to see how Jones comes to camp and how her performs once there.

Heck, given his career splits, Nix could be the DH against LHP...:o:

Hitmen77
12-22-2009, 09:56 PM
What you're missing is that if the Sox add another hitter then that means that there is no room on the bench for a Nix/ Lillibridge type of player.

So, when the team needs a pinchrunner late in games who are they going to send in ? Vizquel? Or, Jones or Kotsay?

If we're going with Kotsay and Jones as our everyday DH because we must make sure Brent Lillibridge has a spot on our roster, then we're in for a long season.

petekat
12-22-2009, 11:42 PM
See Kenny's reasoning here to keep Quentin fresh, but am fearful of Ozzie rotating everyone around at DH--hope he doesn't do that just for the sake of doing it. Isn't the point of declaring Teahen an everyday 3b, allowing him to settle down by growing comfortable in one position? See the D continuing to be soft and if people are constantly shifting around. Hopefully Kenny will be able to disabuse Ozzie of this notion---think it's pretty apparent that Kenny's preference is to bring back Dye/Thome on the cheap. I'm actually quite bullish on Andruw, the Sox really dodged a bullet by not grabbim him or Aarow at the inflated rates. Leave it to Kenny to get him on the cheap when he's motivated

If Jones can hit and play the field then Quentin can be the DH or they can go rotating DH as has been discussed with Quentin, Jones, PK and even Pierre getting the chance to act as DH on a regular basis. The fact remains that whether the Sox need to add a bat comes down to if Jones can hit close to his career averages. If so then they are fine, if not then they need to add a bat, but I don't see the Sox rushing to sign anyone until at least a few weeks into ST to give them a chance to see how Jones comes to camp and how her performs once there.

Heck, given his career splits, Nix could be the DH against LHP...:o:

NLaloosh
12-23-2009, 01:20 AM
If we're going with Kotsay and Jones as our everyday DH because we must make sure Brent Lillibridge has a spot on our roster, then we're in for a long season.

You didn't answer my question. Where is the speed off the bench? Who would pinch run late in a close game?

khan
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Khan:

My point was in reference to some who were saying they need a DH. OK, if you want a good one you're probably going to have to offer a multi year deal, three or four years for example, for a good one could add up to an 18-20 million dollar price tage.

Now if you want to try to get one for a single year like Vlad, maybe you get him for two or three million but long term that doesn't solve the issue does it?
Honestly, do you have any inkling that KW is worried about ANY season beyond 2010? With the starting rotation, should the fans give a rip about any season beyond 2010? And anyway, with Konerko and AJ coming off the payroll, there will be a chance to spend the "20 million DH fund" in time for 2011. Or perhaps Flowers or Viciedo develop in time for 2011. Or perhaps KW swindles another team for a youngster in time for 2011. Or perhaps the SOX draft a power hitter.

In sum, why should SOX fans concern themselves with a "long term" solution? A shorter-term solution will be more cost-effective and more appropriate for this team.

I posit that the SOX have a REAL CHANCE of contending for their 2nd World Series this Century, IF they add a bit of power, and a few other things happen. If they choose to wait until the trade deadline, that reduces their chances of contending and winning it all.

I agree with those who say this team needs a big RBI guy in the middle of the lineup, you can go the DH route to get it or you can go the route of getting a good corner outfielder and moving Carlos to DH.
Agreed. But a >.850 OPS with 30+ HR for JUST 2010 shouldn't cost a team "20 million," unless your team's GM is a mouth breather like Hendry.

Given what Ozzie has said though getting a DH may not be in their plans.
Then KW will have constructed [another] flawed team, and may waste the extremely high potential of the starting rotation that he's assembled.