PDA

View Full Version : Travis Snider

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 10:27 PM
It has been rumored the the Blue Jays rookie GM, Alex Anthopoulos, has been accepting trade requests for Travis Snider. I think sending them an offer for the youngster would be a great idea for our Sox.

Positives:
-He will turn 22 right before opening day.
-Beautiful swing, hands off.
-Strong arm in right I have seen it ranked up to 72.
-Power to all fields.
-Not a big difference between his performace against RHPs and LHPs.
-Cheap contract.
-The head of the Toronto's farm calls him "very mature" and says "he has what it takes to be a MLB player"

Negatives:
-Stocky build, conditioning.
-Former knee issues.
-Slower on the base paths.

I would love to scoop this guy up for maybe Flowers and Danks? I think he cant split time in right and at a DH and Keith Law says he may project as a first baseman so he could take over for PK.

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
RF/DH Quentin
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
CF Rios
RF/DH Snider
SS Ramirez
3B Teahen

DirtySox
12-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I am a huge fan of Snider, but he is absolutely brutal in the field. The power is legit though. I wouldn't mind him on the Sox, but Flowers + JorDanks seems a bit steep. Maybe Morel and JorDanks? (Though I think there is little chance Kenny goes after Snider.)

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I am a huge fan of Snider, but he is absolutely brutal in the field. The power is legit though. I wouldn't mind him on the Sox, but Flowers + JorDanks seems a bit steep. Maybe Morel and JorDanks? (Though I think there is little chance Kenny goes after Snider.)

I don't know he is a powerful force and he's ready to go. We have overrated Danks and Flowers doesn't have a position yet. While he can rake, you have to give to get.

DirtySox
12-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't know he is a powerful force and he's ready to go. We have over rated Danks and Flowers doesn't have a position yet. While he can rake, you have to give to get.

I agree that Danks is overrated, but by all accounts Flowers has improved and will be suitable at Catcher and will fill an immediate need after this season. He has far more value than Snider who is a power bat with little defensive value as it currently stands.

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree that Danks is overrated, but by all accounts Flowers has improved and will be suitable at Catcher and will fill an immediate need after this season. He has far more value than Snider who is a power bat with little defensive value as it currently stands.

There is no way Flowers is anywhere near the player Snider is. Even if you say Flowers is the better fielder, he needs to field well as a catcher. Snider is immobile but he brings a great arm to a position you need a great arm. You need defense behind the plate but you can afford to have a slight liability in the corners.

Either way, Snider is in another league of hitters. He is a former top 10 prospect and has so much more power and run producing ability. Flowers is a very good hitter as a catcher but if he were a righr fielder he is a much lesser prospect.

tm1119
12-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Flowers doesnt have far more value than Snider, and Flowers hasnt proved to be a suitable MLB catcher yet simply because he hasnt caught MLB pitching for a significant amount of time yet. Flowers and Snider are close, but just because BA ranked him in the top 10 last season is going to give him the edge. Not to mention the Jays just acquired a nice catching prospect from the Phillies for Halladay.

Something just screams red flag for me here though. Why is a rebuilding team trying to trade their best prospect? They either know something that they dont want anybody else to find out until after they trade him, or they wont trade him unless they get a kings ransom for him. Either way I dont think we are actually going to trade for Snider.

DirtySox
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Agree to disagree.

Either way, there is little chance that Kenny is going to gamble on a prospect and his growing pains to provide this team with the power bat it so desperately needs. Almost certainly a more proven commodity will be signed for that job.

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Agree to disagree.

Either way, there is little chance that Kenny is going to gamble on a prospect and his growing pains to provide this team with the power bat it so desperately needs. Almost certainly a more proven commodity will be signed for that job.

With the talk of late I just hope we bring someone in. Snider is a stud and while i doubt it heavily, I'd love to see it.

Jpgr91
12-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Snider spent a good amount of time last year in the Minors. He was also a platoon player, sitting against most lefties. He did not see regular playing time until the end of the year. I would be opposed to trading a few "top" prospects for 1 "elite" prospect. I think the Sox would be better served trading their prospects for established MLB talent.

voodoochile
12-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Snider spent a good amount of time last year in the Minors. He was also a platoon player, sitting against most lefties. He did not see regular playing time until the end of the year. I would be opposed to trading a few "top" prospects for 1 "elite" prospect. I think the Sox would be better served trading their prospects for established MLB talent.

I don't know the guy other than buy his stats and by this thread, but his stats are underwhelming so far. Maybe he's all that and a two pound bag of Doritos but given the reports of poor defense and possibly a knee injury and then add in his high K low BB totals so far and trading a bunch of top tier prospects sounds questionable, IMO.

Is he as highly touted as Quentin was? The Sox got Quentin for an A-ball slugger.

Jpgr91
12-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know the guy other than buy his stats and by this thread, but his stats are underwhelming so far. Maybe he's all that and a two pound bag of Doritos but given the reports of poor defense and possibly a knee injury and then add in his high K low BB totals so far and trading a bunch of top tier prospects sounds questionable, IMO.

Is he as highly touted as Quentin was? The Sox got Quentin for an A-ball slugger.

Prior to the season a lot of people were referring to Snider as the best pure hitting prospect in Baseball. I think he got pushed aside it TOR because not only does he have brutal defense but he is brutal against LHP (they only allowed him to have 50 PA vrs LHP last season, most of which came near the end of the year). The biggest difference between Quentin and Snider is that Quentin lost a lot of his "Elite Prospect" luster due to his injury history so the Sox were able to buy low on him.

SoxNation05
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Prior to the season a lot of people were referring to Snider as the best pure hitting prospect in Baseball. I think he got pushed aside it TOR because not only does he have brutal defense but he is brutal against LHP (they only allowed him to have 50 PA vrs LHP last season, most of which came near the end of the year). The biggest difference between Quentin and Snider is that Quentin lost a lot of his "Elite Prospect" luster due to his injury history so the Sox were able to buy low on him.

Exactly.

Huisj
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I went to quite a few Lugnuts games when Snider played here in Lansing a few years ago as a 19 year old in single A ball. His swing was sweet and he drove in runs like crazy. But no, he's not a mobile fielder at all.

MeteorsSox4367
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Could the Sox give them Rios back?

JermaineDye05
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Could the Sox give them Rios back?

No.

Mark my words, White Sox fans are going to love Alex Rios when the 2010 season comes to a close.

guillensdisciple
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
No.

Mark my words, White Sox fans are going to love Alex Rios when the 2010 season comes to a close.

I agree with you 100 percent.

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
No.

I agree too... look at Rios' numbers for the previous years before last year.

2008: 91 runs 15 hr 79 rbi 32 sb .291 ave .337 ob%
2007: 114 runs 24 hr 85 rbi 17 sb .297 ave .354 ob%
2006: 68 runs 17 hr 82 rbi 15 sb .302 ave .349 ob%

To me he looks like he should be batting in the 3rd hole in our line-up. If he puts up that average, with his speed the top 3 of Pierre, Beckham, Rios could be amazing!

1. Pierre LF
2. Beckham 2B
3. Rios CF
4. Quentin RF/DH
5. Konerko 1B
6. Ramirez SS
7. Pierzynski C
8. Jones/Kotsay DH/RF
9. Teahen 3B

The only problem I see with the line-up is when Kotsay plays, you could have 4 left handed hitters in a row, but those left handed hitters don't deserve to be moved up higher in the order. With Pierre, Beckham and Rios ahead of TCQ, he'd have sooooo many RBI chances it would be ridiculous!

MeteorsSox4367
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
No.

I hope you're right. If Rios helps the Sox win the division and hopefully more, I'll gladly cheer as loudly as possible for him.

tm1119
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
The Blue Jays essentially gave us Rios for free. Why the hell would they want him back?

JermaineDye05
12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
The Blue Jays essentially gave us Rios for free. Why the hell would they want him back?

Agreed.

Even if Rios plays up to his expectations, I don't think the Jays would want him back. His deal was a salary dumb.

Now, if Alex does play to his potential. I'm sure JP is going to be wishing that he had squeezed a few prospects out of us.

Zisk77
12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree too... look at Rios' numbers for the previous years before last year.

2008: 91 runs 15 hr 79 rbi 32 sb .291 ave .337 ob%
2007: 114 runs 24 hr 85 rbi 17 sb .297 ave .354 ob%
2006: 68 runs 17 hr 82 rbi 15 sb .302 ave .349 ob%

To me he looks like he should be batting in the 3rd hole in our line-up. If he puts up that average, with his speed the top 3 of Pierre, Beckham, Rios could be amazing!

1. Pierre LF
2. Beckham 2B
3. Rios CF
4. Quentin RF/DH
5. Konerko 1B
6. Ramirez SS
7. Pierzynski C
8. Jones/Kotsay DH/RF
9. Teahen 3B

The only problem I see with the line-up is when Kotsay plays, you could have 4 left handed hitters in a row, but those left handed hitters don't deserve to be moved up higher in the order. With Pierre, Beckham and Rios ahead of TCQ, he'd have sooooo many RBI chances it would be ridiculous!

Ozzie will stagger the line-up left-right -left. i doubt Rios will start out batting 3rd. Example of an order.

Pierre
Beckham
TCQ
Konerko
A.J
Rios
Kotsay
Ramirez
Teahen

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Ozzie will stagger the line-up left-right -left. i doubt Rios will start out batting 3rd. Example of an order.

Pierre
Beckham
Ramirez
TCQ
Rios
A.J.
Konerko
Teahen
Kotsay

I know Ozzie will stagger the line-up but I think it makes our line-up worse! It would also be nice to have our speed guys batting together. The line-up I did has 2 lefties, but honestly if another team brings in a tough lefty reliever, we should be pinch hitting for both Teahen and Kotsay anyways. So does it really matter if they hit back to back? IMO Pierre, Beckham, Ramirez, TCQ & Rios are our 5 best hitters. They should be the first 5 hitters of the game.

Zisk77
12-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I know Ozzie will stagger the line-up but I think it makes our line-up worse! It would also be nice to have our speed guys batting together. The line-up I did has 2 lefties, but honestly if another team brings in a tough lefty reliever, we should be pinch hitting for both Teahen and Kotsay anyways. So does it really matter if they hit back to back? IMO Pierre, Beckham, Ramirez, TCQ & Rios are our 5 best hitters. They should be the first 5 hitters of the game.

That was just an an example of a line-up. I imagine their will be lots of different line-ups.

i don't think you initially bat Rios high in the order. let him gain confidence and start hitting well before he bats in the top 5.

Since Beckham is learning a new position I would leave him where he's comfortable before eventually moving him to 3rd.

if you have a fast 9 hitter than you will have a block of speed as the line-up turns over.

You don't worry about if they bring in a staggered line-up in because A. you are probably winning as you knocked the strarter out. B. You can always pinch hit nix,vizquel, or Jones. C. our lefties aren't exactly helpless against lefty pitching D. if its a loogy he will just face one batter or have to face a righty oranother pitching change.

eventually are line-up could look like this assuming we don't acquire a big bat (which I expect we will).

Pierre
Teahen
Beckham
TCG
Rios
Konerko
AJ
Ramirez
Kotsay

Lots of flexibility though considering:

Pierre can hit 1 or 9 (Vizquel start or acquire a lead-off type at deadline
Teahen 2,5,6,7,8,9
Beckham 2,3,5
TCQ 3,4,5
Rios, 2,3,5,6,7,8,9,
Konerko 3-6
AJ 2-9
Ramirez 2-9
Kotsay 1 (in the past) 2, 5,6,7,8,9

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I think batting Ramirez in the 8 hole would be a mistake. He is too much of an RBI producer and doesn't strike out a lot (66 last year)... he should be batting in run producing areas... Swap Teahen and Ramirez!

tm1119
12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Assuming the roster stays the same I would put the lineup like this:

LF-Pierre
2B- Beckham
RF- Quentin
1b- PK
CF- Rios
C- AJ
SS- Alexei
DH- Jones/Kotsay
3B- Teahen

Zisk77
12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I think batting Ramirez in the 8 hole would be a mistake. He is too much of an RBI producer and doesn't strike out a lot (66 last year)... he should be batting in run producing areas... Swap Teahen and Ramirez!

Well sure, it will be all bases on how their hitting at the moment. remember Alexie struggles right out of the gate each year which is why I had him batting so low. By July he'll probablt be our best hitter. Alexie can easily be a top 5 guy.

oeo
12-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I hope you're right. If Rios helps the Sox win the division and hopefully more, I'll gladly cheer as loudly as possible for him.

I think Rios just needs a kick in the butt. It sounded like it was a more lax clubhouse in Toronto, but Ozzie isn't going to stand for his players being lazy.

Ranger
01-02-2010, 12:46 AM

I don't think we should automatically assume that Mark Teahen is such a weak hitter that they'll need to have somebody else bat for him late in the game. His numbers over the last few years haven't been significantly worse against lefties than they have against righties.

jabrch
01-02-2010, 01:42 AM
I think Rios just needs a kick in the butt. It sounded like it was a more lax clubhouse in Toronto, but Ozzie isn't going to stand for his players being lazy.

I'm guessing that was what KW, JR and OG were all thinking when they committed to him by making the waiver claim. That would be awesome if it were the case.

LoveYourSuit
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Assuming the roster stays the same I would put the lineup like this:

LF-Pierre
2B- Beckham
RF- Quentin
1b- PK
CF- Rios
C- AJ
SS- Alexei
DH- Jones/Kotsay
3B- Teahen

I look at that line-up there and boy we better hope our pitching is going to be as good as advertised.

We are still a 30 HR 90+RBI guy short in that middle of the order.

If Kotsay has to fill in for more than 120 games this year as as a starter because Jones is a complete bust, 2010 will become another disaster of a baseball season for us.

Metalthrasher442
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I look at that line-up there and boy we better hope our pitching is going to be as good as advertised.

We are still a 30 HR 90+RBI guy short in that middle of the order.

If Kotsay has to fill in for more than 120 games this year as as a starter because Jones is a complete bust, 2010 will become another disaster of a baseball season for us.

Yeah well a lot of things can happen and a lot of things will happen so we really need to wait and see.

And touching on a few posts before I really see no way that Pierre doesn't leave off extremely consistantly. He pretty much has the only solidified position in the line up.

Tragg
01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Kotsay wouldn't be the first mediocre/bad hitter that Guillen thinks is good. Until I see a real hitter signed, what you describe is a real risk.