PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking...

NLaloosh
12-19-2009, 07:23 AM
It's been rumored that the Brewers will not be able to afford to retain Prince Fielder for the long term and might trade him this year.

He's signed for $ 10.5 this year and then arbitration eligible. What if the Sox, now, were to offer up Konerko,signed for $ 12 mil for one year, along with Viciedo, Hudson and Morel?

The Brewers will have a tough time competing this year. But, do have a lot of young talent tO compete seriously in 2011. If they got Konerko to take Fielder's place they would obviously lose production but still have a decent first basemen for this season. Then, in 2011 Viciedo could be their first baseman of the future.

Also, the Brewers need starting pitching and Hudson could be ready to step in and be successful for them this year. Another prospect or two like a Morel might make the deal good for Milwaukee.

Just something to kick around during this slow period. Thoughts?

voodoochile
12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Why would Konerko agree to that trade?

soltrain21
12-19-2009, 09:24 AM
It's been rumored that the Brewers will not be able to afford to retain Prince Fielder for the long term and might trade him this year.

He's signed for $ 10.5 this year and then arbitration eligible. What if the Sox, now, were to offer up Konerko,signed for $ 12 mil for one year, along with Viciedo, Hudson and Morel?

The Brewers will have a tough time competing this year. But, do have a lot of young talent tO compete seriously in 2011. If they got Konerko to take Fielder's place they would obviously lose production but still have a decent first basemen for this season. Then, in 2011 Viciedo could be their first baseman of the future.

Also, the Brewers need starting pitching and Hudson could be ready to step in and be successful for them this year. Another prospect or two like a Morel might make the deal good for Milwaukee.

Just something to kick around during this slow period. Thoughts?

What makes you think that? That division sucks. Especially if the Cardinals don't resign Holliday.

cws05champ
12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I love Prince, but the Brewers would probably start with John Danks and then go from there. they want pitching, not a 34yr old 1B for one season.

NLaloosh
12-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Well, my thinking is this:

If the Brewers trade Prince now I don't believe that they have an immediate replacement that can provide what Konerko can. He costs about the same as Prince this year but obviously not as good.

So, the Sox have to include some good young inexpensive talent. If they include Viciedo he should be ready to be their first baseman of the future at a very reasonable cost.

Yes, they do need pitching. Which is why the Sox would have to include Hudson who would probably be a very solid starting pitcher right now in the NL. This improves the Brewers chances to compete this year.

I believE the Sox would have to sweeten the deal with a couple of fadditional solid but not elite prospects. But, I think that it's feasible that the Sox could get it done.

I'm thinking about going this route because I THINK that the Sox could get Fielder for less in prospects than it would take to get Gonzalez and I think they might have less competition.

It just seems to me that a deal could be worked out. Why would Konerko agree to it? I think Paulie would waive his NTC if asked.

veeter
12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I think the Sox would be giving up too much in your proposal.

cards press box
12-19-2009, 10:13 AM

I don't think that Konerko would agree to that trade. In any event, I don't like that proposed trade from the Sox point of view.

In the last two amateur drafts, the Sox have done a lot to re-stock what was a shallow farm system. At this point, the Sox have a strong team for 2010 with a great chance to win the AL Central. I'd like to see the Sox add a lefty bat and I think they will when the market comes back to them. Consequently, there is no reason to make a trade that would remove not only Konerko from the major league roster but also the best overall prospect and best pitching prospect (Hudson), the best third base prospect (Morel) and perhaps the best power hitting prospect (Viciedo) from the farm system.

As for Fielder, does he become a free agent around the same time that Ryan Howard and Albert Pujols become free agents? As the Yankees already have Mark Teixeira and will have a bunch of potential DH's (Posada, Jeter, A-Rod) by then, there might actually be a fair, non-Yankee driven market for the services of these top flight first basemen.

In sum, I would not gut the Sox farm system to deal for Fielder now. If the Sox want to add Fielder (or Howard or Pujols), I would see how the market develops in free agency.

BadBobbyJenks
12-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah that pretty much ends this debate.

DumpJerry
12-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking Konerko is a 10/5 player who lives in Arizona during the offseason and has indicated he might be open to a trade to a team near his home.

MUsoxfan
12-19-2009, 01:06 PM
There are 3 teams that Konerko would accept a trade to: ARZ/LAD/LAA

twinsuck
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
How did I know this thread would be about Prince Fielder? :D:

sullythered
12-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Not bloody likely.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2009, 01:15 AM
The title of this thread reminds me of a line in the movie Twelve O'Clock High: "I was thinking, which is something a man should not do."

JohnTucker0814
12-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I would give up any combination of our minor leaguers to acquire either Fielder or Gonzalez. Then you can rotate Paul through the DH.

Hudson, Morel, Flowers, Viciedo, Jor. Danks... take them all!

DumpJerry
12-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I am very happy that Kenny does not use WSI as some sort of advisory council.

JohnTucker0814
12-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I am very happy that Kenny does not use WSI as some sort of advisory council.

So you'd prefer that he don't try to win a WS while he has the opportunity to do so? What good are those prospects in 2-3 years if we don't have any other pieces to go along with them. There is no guarantee that any of those prospects are even going to be average MLB players. You KNOW Prince Fielder and Adrian Gonzales are already superstar caliber players. Why would you NOT trade away any minor league players for them? The only way you don't trade away your minor league players is if you have players like Clayton Kershaw, Justin Upton, Tim Lincecum, Evan Longoria...etc. NONE OF OUR MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS HAVE THE SURE FIRE POTENTIAL TO BE SUPERSTARS!