PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a minor league team changes affiliation?

downstairs
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
When a minor league team changes affiliation- what happens with the players? Does the new team get all of the players? Do they switch out an entire team? How about managers and coaches?

goofymsfan
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
When a minor league team changes affiliation- what happens with the players? Does the new team get all of the players? Do they switch out an entire team? How about managers and coaches?

The players belong to the MLB team so players/coaches go to the new affiliation. Front office staff, uniforms, etc stay with the old affiliation.

TornLabrum
12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
The players belong to the MLB team so players/coaches go to the new affiliation. Front office staff, uniforms, etc stay with the old affiliation.

Unless the uniforms are minor league versions of the parent club's uniform (like the Peoria Chiefs).

DumpJerry
12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Unless the uniforms are minor league versions of the parent club's uniform (like the Peoria Chiefs).
This is why the Great Falls White Sox changed their name a couple of years back to the Voyageurs.

goofymsfan
12-18-2009, 09:23 PM
This is why the Great Falls White Sox changed their name a couple of years back to the Voyageurs.

They also changed the name so they didn't have to pay a licensing fee. I liked the GF White Sox logo with the gusting cloud. Don't mind the new logo either. My Voyagers Cap is one I wear fairly regularly. I was sad when the Dodgers ended their affiliation after 19 years, but was excited when it was replaced by the White Sox.

DSpivack
12-18-2009, 11:00 PM

I've always preferred minor league teams that keep their own names, instead of adopting that of their parent organization. Seems more creative. I was dissapointed when the Winston-Salem Warthogs became the Dash, I loved that old nickname and logo.

doublem23
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Stupid Cubs ruined everything, I loved the old Cardinals-inspired Chiefs logo.

http://product.images.fansedge.com/64-03/64-03835-P.jpg

Way better than their current dalmatian/firefighter theme.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_images/786/201520786.jpg

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2009, 03:36 AM

I go to 5-10 Kane County Cougars games every year, and they are now on their 3rd MLB affiliation over their (appx) 20 year history. They started out affiliated with the Orioles, then became the Class A team of the Marlins, and now, for the last 3 or 4 years, have been the affiliate of the A's. Each time the players & coachs were swept out and an entirely new crew moved in.

It reminds me of a Seinfeld joke where you aren't rooting for players, you're rooting for shirts, as the players can come and go but the shirts remain.

SMO
:gulp: