PDA

View Full Version : You've heard it before, it makes more sense now than ever before...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2009, 12:16 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/SahJM5q7WtI/AAAAAAAAJJs/3ayZ2ysRqEA/s320/adam+dunn.jpg
(I chose that pic because I thought it's kind've funny; if Adam Dunn is known for one thing, it's definitely bunting.)

This man makes sense for our White Sox now more than ever. Before I continue, let's quickly recap his last 6 years worth of numbers...
2004: 46 HR, 102 RBI, .388 OBP, .956 OPS
2005: 40 HR, 101 RBI, .387 OBP, .927 OPS
2006: 40 HR, 92 RBI, .365 OBP, .855 OPS
2007: 40 HR, 106 RBI, .386 OBP, .940 OPS
2008: 40 HR, 100 RBI, .386 OBP, .898 OPS
2009: 38 HR, 105 RBI, .398 OBP, .928 OPS

We've knocked this name around before around these parts of town, and I know this is probably the worst time to mention his name considering a report is out stating that Dunn won't be moved anytime soon (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/odds-ends-uggla-dunn-damon.html), but it's hard to ignore the thought.

He may not be available now, as the Nats are trying to fool themselves into being even an "average" ballclub, chances are as the season progresses and his current team starts (quickly) slipping into patheticness, he will become available. He will be owed $12m in 2010 and then becomes a free agent which means he should be available for a prospect or two in June or July.

Look at this lineup:
1) Pierre - LF
2) Teahen - 3B
3) Quentin - RF
4) Dunn - DH
5) Konerko - 1B
6) Pierzynski - C
7) Beckham - 2B
8) Rios - CF
9) Ramirez - SS

I'd be pretty happy with that. :bandance:

I_Liked_Manuel
12-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Agreed. There's only one number that matters - 200. We've gotta hit it this year.

delben91
12-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Agreed. There's only one number that matters - 200. We've gotta hit it this year.

Really? That's pretty cool. Here I thought wins and losses mattered, but those are out this season? Phew.

DumpJerry
12-18-2009, 06:36 AM
With 162 games scheduled during the regular season, 200 wins is not possible.

gr8mexico
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM

He may not be available now, as the Nats are trying to fool themselves into being even an "average" ballclub, chances are as the season progresses and his current team starts (quickly) slipping into patheticness, he will become available. He will be owed $12m in 2010 and then becomes a free agent which means he should be available for a prospect or two in June or July.
Why would they just give him up for a prospect or two, They can just offer him arbitration and if he doesn't sign they would get 2 first round picks. Its going to cost more then just a prospect or two

Tragg
12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
They can just offer him arbitration and if he doesn't sign they would get 2 first round picks. Its going to cost more then just a prospect or two
And teams are a lot less willing to pay big prices for 1/2 seaons rents these days.
It's hard to find an equilibrium price so to speak, because of the 2 FRDs autmatically awarded.

34 Inch Stick
12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Beckham isn't hitting 7th even in your fantasy world.

I_Liked_Manuel
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Really? That's pretty cool. Here I thought wins and losses mattered, but those are out this season? Phew.

Wins/losses? Those are irrelevant.

Let's hit some taters.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Beckham isn't hitting 7th even in your fantasy world.

Clearly this is my fantasy world and CLEARLY he's hitting 7th. You can disagree, but I don't want to put any pressure on the kid.

He had a very impressive start to his career last year but let's not forget how young he is. And by having him in the lower third of the lineup, he'll have extra hot fire under his ass to make sure he doesn't forget that this is just his 2nd year and that he still hasn't proven much (although he seems like the kind of guy that doesn't need any extra motivation, still, Ozzie doesn't hand anything to anyone).

pmck003
12-18-2009, 10:45 AM

I'm guessing .200 for the decade in WS wins

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm guessing .200 for the decade in WS wins

That would be 1.000 since we are starting a new decade. :wink:

And that would be frickin' phenomenal.

BadBobbyJenks
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Teahen hitting 2nd and Beckham hitting 7th:upsidehead:

But I agree Dunn is everything we are missing right now. A team with Kotsay and Andruw Jones splitting time at DH does not score a lot of runs.

guillen4life13
12-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Teahen hitting 2nd and Beckham hitting 7th:upsidehead:

But I agree Dunn is everything we are missing right now. A team with Kotsay and Andruw Jones splitting time at DH does not score a lot of runs.

Many of you seem to think that even with Andruw Jones playing at his recent level, he is a black hole in the lineup.

Put him in for a full season's worth of AB's and he gives you 20+ HR, 80+ RBI, and very solid OF defense to boot. Given the cost differential, I think I'd rather go into the season with the current roster plus an additional LH reliever and backup catcher. DH Pierre or Quentin and put Jones in a corner OF slot. Let the team play a little bit to show what it's real weaknesses and needs are. Address them in June or July when the asking prices are lower and the needs have clearly defined themselves.

If I'm KW, I'm not giving any worthwhile prospects to the Nats for Dunn unless they're paying at least half his salary. While I like what he brings to the table, I think the Sox need to address their real needs right now. Top priorities ought to be a good backup C and a good LOOGY or otherwise dependable LH relief pitcher. They can't go into the season with Williams as the only LH in the pen other than Thornton.

southside rocks
12-19-2009, 09:03 AM
With 162 games scheduled during the regular season, 200 wins is not possible.

What a dark cloud you are! Why don't we wait until the season starts before we assume that this team can't win 38 more games than are on the schedule!

Ranger
12-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Many of you seem to think that even with Andruw Jones playing at his recent level, he is a black hole in the lineup.

Put him in for a full season's worth of AB's and he gives you 20+ HR, 80+ RBI, and very solid OF defense to boot. Given the cost differential, I think I'd rather go into the season with the current roster plus an additional LH reliever and backup catcher. DH Pierre or Quentin and put Jones in a corner OF slot. Let the team play a little bit to show what it's real weaknesses and needs are. Address them in June or July when the asking prices are lower and the needs have clearly defined themselves.

If I'm KW, I'm not giving any worthwhile prospects to the Nats for Dunn unless they're paying at least half his salary. While I like what he brings to the table, I think the Sox need to address their real needs right now. Top priorities ought to be a good backup C and a good LOOGY or otherwise dependable LH relief pitcher. They can't go into the season with Williams as the only LH in the pen other than Thornton.

Sure they can. Another lefty reliever is not the top priority as far as I'm concerned. Another hitter would most definitely have the greatest impact on next season, and therefore, should be their greatest need.

doublem23
12-20-2009, 02:15 PM

1) Andruw Jones is not an everyday player.

2) Prices will go up as the season moves on.

3) Why wouldn't the Sox want to go into the year with the best team possible and try and jump out to an early lead in the division, instead of playing most of the season neck-and-neck with the rest of the division.

JermaineDye05
12-20-2009, 02:41 PM
1) Andruw Jones is not an everyday player.

2) Prices will go up as the season moves on.

3) Why wouldn't the Sox want to go into the year with the best team possible and try and jump out to an early lead in the division, instead of playing most of the season neck-and-neck with the rest of the division.

Also, he is not "very solid" defensively. Jones' weight issues over the past couple of seasons have kept him out of the outfield. His FP may be good but I believe his range has dropped drastically.

Unless Andruw comes into camp after losing a great deal of weight and if he's in the best shape of his career, or at least best in since he was last with the Braves. Then I figure he will simply be used primarily as a DH off the bench for the Sox.

For Andruw to be starter with the Sox, (IMO) he'd have to have a hell of a spring training (though these can be misleading, see Wilson Betemit last year and BA every year).

BadBobbyJenks
12-21-2009, 06:00 AM

He might have hit below the mendoza line in a full season. :bandance: