PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Pods Appreciation Thread

ode to veeck
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Now that the Sox have picked up a bona fide leadoff that is not Scotty Pods, it's pretty much in concrete he won't really be back on the south side; all negotations between him and the Sox on a new contract last couple of months amounted to nil. Hope he gets picked up somewhere.

Thanks for the memories.

BadBobbyJenks
12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I will always have my 2005 World Series bobblehead of Scotty Pods and think back of him fondly.

Go get that money in Kansas City.

pythons007
12-16-2009, 01:13 PM
He definately showed last year that he has a lot left in the tank. He'll get picked up somewhere for sure.

tstrike2000
12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks to Scott for what's he done for us and best of luck to Pods in his future endeavors.

Waysouthsider
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I sure hope he does well.....good luck to Pods....as long as he doesn't end up with the Tigers....! :?:

It's Dankerific
12-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I hope he's also thanking us for giving him a chance when he was basically DONE.

KenBerryGrab
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for bailing out the bullpen with that WS Game 2 gamewinner!

ilsox7
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
He definately showed last year that he has a lot left in the tank. He'll get picked up somewhere for sure.

Picked up then picked off. :cool:

kittle42
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I hope he's also thanking us for giving him a chance when he was basically DONE.

No kidding. He should have a Chicago White Sox Appreciation Thread on his site!

WSox597
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I'll probably never forget the WS home run. An awesome moment for a non-power hitter.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the memories, Pods. Good luck, unless you land with the Twins. LOL

SI1020
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Why should it be a one way street? They bailed him off his couch and he came through for them. I'd say for all his faults he was one bright spot in a very dismal season. Man the way we eat our own and throw ex players under the bus around here. Good luck Pods where ever you end up. He's one of the main reasons I actually got to experience a WS winner in my lifetime. Something I was pretty sure was never going to happen.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe it's a case of deja vu but haven't we done this before? :scratch:

spawn
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Yep (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94807).

VeeckAsInWreck
12-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Yep (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94807).

It was funny reading through that thread. Funny how much people wanted Ryan Freel on this site.

#1swisher
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll wait until it *official*:angry:

nsolo
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I'll probably never forget the WS home run. An awesome moment for a non-power hitter.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the memories, Pods. Good luck, unless you land with the Twins. LOL

What you said. Not too ashamed to say that I cried due to that home run. It was a magical thing that to me, solidified by belief that we were going to take the series. Good karma.

I only saw it on tv, but I heard it was a true electric and surreal experience at the Cell.

Thank you Scotty.

Mohoney
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
No kidding. He should have a Chicago White Sox Appreciation Thread on his site!

Why? He more than held up his end of the bargain.

ChiSoxGirl
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I'll wait until it *official*:angry:

Me, too! I just can't bring myself to say goodbye until it's official. :whiner:

chisox77
12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
A player who was never considered a top prospect, and who never excelled to the point of impressing anyone, anywhere . . .

A player with some talent, yet more grit and desire . . .

A player who blossomed just short of 30 . . .

A player who easily could have spent all of his professional career in AA or AAA ball . . .

A player with modest size, great strength, and incredible intensity . . .

Here's to Scotty Pods, key player on a World Series Championship team in Chicago, a write-in all star, a WS game ending home-run hitter, a comeback player who hit over .300 at age 35.

What a career he has had . . . with all of his faults, he amounted to something special, somehow, someway. Scotty will always be talked about and remembered.

Thank you, #22.

esbrechtel
12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the Memories Pods! Thanks for the Walk off HR in 05! Also thanks for the spark you created last season. Congrats on proving you can still be a contributor and good luck in your future!

ChiSoxGirl
12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
A player who was never considered a top prospect, and who never excelled to the point of impressing anyone, anywhere . . .

A player who easily could have spent all of his professional career in AA or AAA ball . . .

Here's to Scotty Pods, key player on a World Series Championship team in Chicago, a write-in all star, a WS game ending home-run hitter, a comeback player who hit over .300 at age 35.

What a career he has had . . . with all of his faults, he amounted to something special, somehow, someway. Scotty will always be talked about and remembered.

Thank you, #22.

:worship: This!

I sad earlier that I'm not posting in this thread until it's totally official, but technically all I'm doing is completely agreeing with another poster. I'm saving my own personal thoughts on the subject until Pods signs elsewhere.

ode to veeck
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM

It was premature ...

ode to veeck
12-16-2009, 08:50 PM

He more than did that with the stellar year he turned in, especially given the lackluster year for the Sox, he was a highlight of 2009

soltrain21
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I sure hope he does well.....good luck to Pods....as long as he doesn't end up with the Tigers....! :?:

Yeah, it'd really suck to watch Mark pick him off three times in one game.

october23sp
12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
:whiner:I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rdy2PlayBall
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Nice season in 2009? :dunno:

The rules are we can only appreciate what he has done this time around. Won a bunch of games, got picked off a bunch of times. He was the MVP of a bad White Sox team. Favorite player until Beckham's burst last year... but we can't be thanking him for '05 anymore. This is one year Pods. We can't talk about the few years Pods.

No player's name was more fun to yell than "SCOTTY PODS!" ... with a funny voice. Good times. :cool:''
I hope he get's a big contract somewhere. The guy has gone through so much and is a great guy. He deserves a good 80mil from some other team.

ChiSoxGirl
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
:whiner:I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

GlassSox
12-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Thank you, #22.

Amen!

It's Dankerific
12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
He more than did that with the stellar year he turned in, especially given the lackluster year for the Sox, he was a highlight of 2009

I think he owed us more loyalty in regards to $$$. Thats why I'm not so praiseful.

I also think the perfect game was the highlight of 2009.

soltrain21
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice season in 2009? :dunno:

The rules are we can only appreciate what he has done this time around. Won a bunch of games, got picked off a bunch of times. He was the MVP of a bad White Sox team. Favorite player until Beckham's burst last year... but we can't be thanking him for '05 anymore. This is one year Pods. We can't talk about the few years Pods.

No player's name was more fun to yell than "SCOTTY PODS!" ... with a funny voice. Good times. :cool:''
I hope he get's a big contract somewhere. The guy has gone through so much and is a great guy. He deserves a good 80mil from some other team.

What exactly has Scott Podsednik gone through?

october23sp
12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
He didn't do it this go around but he did it. On my birthday. My all time favorite baseball player.
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/daniel_habib/10/24/podsednik.game2/t1_pods.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHihInfyjQgQNF_pSoLOJ_FDcx5ww

soxfanreggie
12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks Scotty Pods for the memories. You will go down in White Sox history as an important piece of our 2005 run. I hope you have a good season next year, except against us.

SoxFan1979
12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Why should it be a one way street? They bailed him off his couch and he came through for them. I'd say for all his faults he was one bright spot in a very dismal season. Man the way we eat our own and throw ex players under the bus around here. Good luck Pods where ever you end up. He's one of the main reasons I actually got to experience a WS winner in my lifetime. Something I was pretty sure was never going to happen.

100% agreed. Gook luck to Scotty Pods. He deserves a nice contract.

LoveYourSuit
12-16-2009, 11:37 PM
This is starting to remind of the retirement of the Harold Baines #3.

Domeshot17
12-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Nice guy, good for the team. Played his ass off for us last year. It really wouldn't shock me if he went on to have a better year than Pierre. But what can you do. I don't think he owed the Sox any loyalty with the money. From what it sounds like is he just wanted a 2 year deal. Not unreasonable at all. Thanks for being one of the few players who actually appeared to give a damn last year. Easily the team MVP

kittle42
12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
This is starting to remind of the retirement of the Harold Baines #3.

Ha, no kidding.

slavko
12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
We might see you back here real soon as the LHDH.

Rohan
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
We might see you back here real soon as the LHDH.

Yeah... :scratch:

Thanks for giving it your best 95% of the time. And thanks again for the ring.

slavko
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah... :scratch:

Thanks for giving it your best 95% of the time. And thanks again for the ring.

Shoulda tealed it. Gonna go back and do it.

Steelrod
12-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm gonna miss Mrs. Pods most of all!

kittle42
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm gonna miss Mrs. Pods most of all!

Somebody had to go there, of course.

tstrike2000
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice guy, good for the team. Played his ass off for us last year. It really wouldn't shock me if he went on to have a better year than Pierre. But what can you do. I don't think he owed the Sox any loyalty with the money. From what it sounds like is he just wanted a 2 year deal. Not unreasonable at all. Thanks for being one of the few players who actually appeared to give a damn last year. Easily the team MVP

I don't know if I'd go that far, especially looking at his career stats.

thomas35forever
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for coming back, Scott. You made it worth watching you.

tstrike2000
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Good luck in KC.

gobears1987
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
There is a comment that's so tempting to make... Oh I avoided it.

Seriously though, thanks for giving us some excitement after returning to us in May. I don't think this team would've been in contention through July without you.

DeuceUnit
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you for making Game 2 of the World Series the most exciting event I have ever attended in my life!!

#1swisher
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
You were the only player in '09 who gave 100% every game. You made the 2009 WS Season enjoyable to watch for me.:cool:
If Ozzie hadn't changed you to lf and DWise in cf to make "the catch" I know you would have made it effortlessly. I'll always remember this when thinking/speaking of MBs' perfect game.

Good Luck in KC ,stay strong :gulp:

asindc
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's to Pods:gulp:, who brought an element of speed to the Sox when it was most needed. Goes without saying, but I will say it anyway: 2005 would not have happened without you.

ode to veeck
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Can you imagine how bad the '09 Sox woulda been without Scotty Pods? I can't even start to think about it (it would hurt too much).

ChiSoxGal85
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm really gonna miss you, Pods. :(: Thanks for kicking some butt last season; the Sox needed you and you came through. And also big time thanks for your 2005 contributions. WS Game 2 was the most exciting baseball game EVER, in my book. :tiphat:

Good luck in KC.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
If Ozzie hadn't changed you to lf and DWise in cf to make "the catch" I know you would have made it effortlessly.

Let's not get crazy here. I love Pods too and appreciate everything he's done. But he wouldn't have made that play.

Anyway, I wish Pods the best in KC and hope he doesn't come back to hurt us too much.

Thome25
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Thank you for everything Pods!!!.....You will be missed. Thank you for the HR VS Boston and the HR in game 2 of the WS in 2005.:gulp::bandance::):D:

WTS.....is KC trying to become the "Kansas City White Sox"?:D:

DumpJerry
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
You were the only player in '09 who gave 100% every game. You made the 2009 WS Season enjoyable to watch for me.:cool:
If Ozzie hadn't changed you to lf and DWise in cf to make "the catch" I know you would have made it effortlessly. I'll always remember this when thinking/speaking of MBs' perfect game.

The only one who gave 100%? You better hope AJ does not have your home address.

Pods would have made The Catch "effortlessly?" I recall a couple of days earlier when he was trying to play Center, he allowed Carl Crawford get an inside the park home run off him as he played Velcro Man on the wall.......

Yes, he was a good player, but he was no Aaron Rowand.

CLR01
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Christ, we're still talking about this bum? :rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

More than likely the ball would have hit his coconut and gone over the fence.

SephClone89
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The only one who gave 100%? You better hope AJ does not have your home address.

Pods would have made The Catch "effortlessly?" I recall a couple of days earlier when he was trying to play Center, he allowed Carl Crawford get an inside the park home run off him as he played Velcro Man on the wall.......

Yes, he was a good player, but he was no Aaron Rowand.

I was at that game. Ugh. I'd like an explanation from #1swisher as to how he would have made that catch at all, let alone "effortlessly".

Lip Man 1
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I appreciate what Scott did in his time with the Sox but it was clear he was never the same player after the groin injury.

A reduced efficiency on the bases really dropped his value given his defensive shortcomings.

Lip

Noneck
01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
He was a spark plug when he wasn't hurt. I just wish he worked harder on and got more instruction for his defensive skills. A glass arm he was born with but the rest of his defensive inefficiencies should have been rectified. This was not a big lumbering guy like Carlos Lee, he was born with speed and never learned how to use it in the field.

I'll still miss the Pod and will always have some fond memories of him.

Waysouthsider
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Good luck to Pods....thanks for the memories!

Dibbs
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
In what seems to be the ninth goodbye thread for Scotty, thanks for the moderately successful 2009. Of course, we were always grateful for 2005.

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
In what seems to be the ninth goodbye thread for Scotty, thanks for the moderately successful 2009. Of course, we were always grateful for 2005.

Agreed. One would think Babe Ruth was moving on.

Imagine if the internet was around back then.

doublem23
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I appreciate what Scott did in his time with the Sox but it was clear he was never the same player after the groin injury.

A reduced efficiency on the bases really dropped his value given his defensive shortcomings.

Lip

:rolleyes:

Nice backhanded compliment.

ode to veeck
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Christ, we're still talking about this bum? :rolleyes:

no wonder you're banned :redneck

ode to veeck
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
:rolleyes:

Nice backhanded compliment.

Sadly, that's as good as you can get out of our favorite "glass not even half full" guy

soxfanreggie
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
All the best in KC Scotty Pods. I wouldn't mind seeing you have some great games against the Twins, Tigers, and Indians. If you give the Royals a good season, you could be one of the best values of the year. KC could have a starting CF that can hit leadoff for two seasons at a cost under $4 million total.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Not sure I understand the difficulty...Pods played hard, no question but was he or was he not the same player after the groin injury?

Yes or no.

It appeared to affect him on the bases and he was a butcher in the outfield. You can live with that if he's stealing 60 bases a year...I'm not so sure you can when he's stealing 30-35, getting thrown out a lot and dropping balls in the outfield.

I appreciated what he brought to the table but I'm not all sentimental remembering 2005 like some...that was four years ago...a lifetime in major league baseball.

The 2010 season will be here soon and the Sox needed better overall play. Couple that with Pods desire for a multiyear deal and it is what it is, as Kenny is fond of saying.

Lip

hawkjt
01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I was saying the last few months that the Sox should re-sign Pods for two years at about 2 million/yr, and of course Pods and his agent did blow themsellves out of the picture by trying to go for a ton of money in a soft market. Then, the sox got Juan, who I thought was a good move considering the constraints and lack of lead-off guys...and now Pods signs with KC for 1.75 million next year with a club option ..essentially a one year deal for 1.75 million? Wow.

And all these fans wanted the sox to sign figgins,who commanded 36 million,over a Pods at 1.75 million..sorry, but figgins is not worth the difference.

So, moral of the story, is that if Pods really wanted to be a Sox,he would not have let his agent ask for the moon..there is no way that even a biased agent could have really thought that Pods was going to get 7-8 million on a multiple year deal...and yet, I will hate seeing Pods lead off for KC against the Sox 19 times next year. He will hurt us, as he showed that he is a clutch hitter this year(best ba with runners in scoring position and with two out with risp on the team)...and we will be cursing him.

I am ok with Juan, and once that was done, no way that Pods returns,but just wish he had gone to the Giants or maybe the Padres...anywhere but the AL Central. But, for all his critics, they will get a chance to point out how bad he is next year vs the Sox...we will see if he is as bad in an opposing teams uni as they thought he was in a Sox uni. He will steal bases at will vs AJ and the Sox...yet he is a ''horrible '' base-runner.

ode to veeck
01-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Not sure I understand the difficulty...Pods played hard, no question but was he or was he not the same player after the groin injury?

Yes or no.

It appeared to affect him on the bases and he was a butcher in the outfield. You can live with that if he's stealing 60 bases a year...I'm not so sure you can when he's stealing 30-35, getting thrown out a lot and dropping balls in the outfield.

I appreciated what he brought to the table but I'm not all sentimental remembering 2005 like some...that was four years ago...a lifetime in major league baseball.

The 2010 season will be here soon and the Sox needed better overall play. Couple that with Pods desire for a multiyear deal and it is what it is, as Kenny is fond of saying.

Lip

With no better option for a lead off I can handle Pods as a butcher in the outfield even at 30-35 bases per year, becoming less valuable as Sox added more speed on paths last year. I will miss Getz on the paths, he could steal at will at times (like Pods could in early '05). Having some defensive replacements for late games helped add to Pods as a compliment. Of course, we have a whole new lead off situation heading into tewenty ten.

ChiSoxGirl
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: One crying emoticon in memory of each year he spent with the Sox.

My heart is breaking today because now I know, for sure, that it's over; he'll never wear a Sox uniform again.

SI1020
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
As I stated on another thread I do not agree that Podsednik was a butcher in the field. A great ouffielder? Of course not and his speed allowed him to chase down some of his mistakes. A lousy throwing arm. Alex Rios is supposed to be this super duper defensive outfielder and he made me cringe at times last year. Rating players defensively seems to be a highly contentious issue. I seem to rarely agree with assessments of individual players defensive abilities around here.

guillensdisciple
01-09-2010, 04:13 PM
You did bring some life into an otherwise lifeless White Sox offense when you were acquired. Pods, nice comeback year and I wish you the best of luck this year.

Save McCuddy's
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
PECOTA, Boers and Bernstein and often I will cast aspersions your way, but I will forever be in your debt for the magic you contributed to in 2005. Game 2 of the WS could have been a colossal flop had you not walked us off. Best of luck and beat the Twins as often as possible.

hawkjt
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Speaking of B & B, who hate Pods, and said he would suck from day one last year...and refused to acknowledge that he did not suck...they just implied very clearly that Pods was juicing or HGHing last year...asshats.:angry:

mantis1212
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Yes or no.

Lip

It boggles my mind how a player can get ripped on so much after leading the team in hits, batting average, and SB while coming in 2nd in OBP, 3rd in runs scored and making close to the league minimum. Yes, he got picked off WAY too much and was a butcher in the field, but it seemed he was involved in every single offensive rally the team had this year.

I thought his play was huge last year, and it had nothing to do with 2005.

Lip Man 1
01-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Mantis:

He was a major surprise, no question. But could he do it again? Or how about stay healthy for back to back seasons?

Given his apparent contract demands, I don't blame the Sox for looking elsewhere. That doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate what he did...it's business. As stated earlier in the thread some are reacting like this will make or break the Sox in 2010 and I don't think that's the case.

And the odds of him producing again given what he was asking for to me, didn't look good.

Lip

mantis1212
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Mantis:

He was a major surprise, no question. But could he do it again? Or how about stay healthy for back to back seasons?

Given his apparent contract demands, I don't blame the Sox for looking elsewhere. That doesn't mean I don't like him or don't appreciate what he did...it's business. As stated earlier in the thread some are reacting like this will make or break the Sox in 2010 and I don't think that's the case.

And the odds of him producing again given what he was asking for to me, didn't look good.

Lip

I'm not arguing that he should have come back, in fact I don't think he's going to repeat his good play and I like the Juan Pierre move.

I was just acknowledging that he gets knocked all time whether its here or on the radio, and when you say the sox needed "better overall play" I assume you mean better than what he did in 2009.

spawn
01-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not arguing that he should have come back, in fact I don't think he's going to repeat his good play and I like the Juan Pierre move.

I was just acknowledging that he gets knocked all time whether its here or on the radio, and when you say the sox needed "better overall play" I assume you mean better than what he did in 2009.
He had a good year last season, and the Sox were lucky to have him. The reason he gets knocked around here, though, is because he made numerous base running blunders (how do you get picked off of 3rd base?), and wasn't all that great defensively either.

Daver
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
and wasn't all that great defensively either.

Neither was the rest of the team.

ode to veeck
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Neither was the rest of the team.

It really went downhill after we gave up all world Brian Anderson. Seriously, though, the defensive was very inconsistent most everywhere much of the season.

hawkjt
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
He had a good year last season, and the Sox were lucky to have him. The reason he gets knocked around here, though, is because he made numerous base running blunders (how do you get picked off of 3rd base?), and wasn't all that great defensively either.

What bugged me is that everyone loved figgins, but he led the league in getting pick off and in getting caught stealing...plus he had horrible numbers in the playoffs over 30+ games...Pods playoff numbers dwarfed figgins who choked big time at crunch time.