PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Sox mystery bat yet to come?

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Rumor has it that the Sox are not done revamping their offense and there may be a big bat still to arrive on the South Side. Who will it be?

1. Adrian Gonzalez
2. Jim Thome
3. David Ortiz
4. Prince Fielder
5. Russell Branyan
6. Carlos Delgdo
7. Nick Johnson
8. Jason Giambi
9. Jack Cust
10. Adam Dunn
11. someone else
12. no one

I'd like to add that if you feel that the Sox will get someone not on the list and you vote for "someone else", please tell us who you thnk it will be.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/794/slideshow_79484/display_image.jpg

Crede24Thome25
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Rumor has it that the Sox are not done revamping their offense and there may be a big bat still to arrive on the South Side. Who will it be?

1. Adrian Gonzalez
2. Jim Thome
3. David Ortiz
4. Prince Fielder
5. Russell Branyan
6. Carlos Delgdo
7. Nick Johnson
8. Jason Giambi
9. Jack Cust
10. Adam Dunn
11. someone else
12. no one

I would die for anyone in bold.:smile: besides Branyan and Delgado.

Dibbs
12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Jason Giambi? I am not sure I would watch a game next year if that was the case.

Crede24Thome25
12-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Jason Giambi? I am not sure I would watch a game next year if that was the case.

I agree that would be horrid.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Jeez people. The Sox aren't going to sign Ortiz, Giambi or Sheffield.

rdwj
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I voted Adrian Gonzalez, but there are several names on that list I'd be happy with.

Thome, Ortiz, Giambi or Cust would be a disappointment

dickallen15
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm going to take a crazy guess and say KW makes a blockbuster for Hanley Ramirez. Then adds a LH DH type like Thome or Cust.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I voted for Nick Johnson. He's a FA so he won't cost talent. He's not too expensive. And, he's a lousy first basemen so he should be ready to DH but the Sox could still promise him some PT at first.

The only problem is that he's one of those real high OBP guys that the White Sox are allergic to.

seasontickets
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Aaron Rowand!

Dibbs
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Jeez people. The Sox aren't going to sign Ortiz, Giambi or Sheffield.

I know that. I thought it was ridiculous to include him in the poll.

DaveFeelsRight
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/794/slideshow_79484/display_image.jpgah yes. crazy uncle carl.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I know that. I thought it was ridiculous to include him in the poll.

I shouldn't have singled you out; I've just seen a lot of people panicking about guys the Sox have no chance of (and likely no interest in) signing.

A. Cavatica
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I think Branyan is the only ex-Indian that KW hasn't already signed, so I voted for him.

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Shooter McGavin

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Detroit seems to be giving up right now and are looking for ways to save money.

Miguel Cabrera:
The Tigers owe Cabrera $20M in 2010 as part of the remaining six years and $126M on his deal. Maybe they'd take some expiring contracts, Hudson and/or Jordan Danks. If that were to happen, I'd be very happy.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Sandy Alomar, Jr.! :redneck

Seriously, while I would love Dunn or Gonzalez, I don't think Thome would be as bad an option as people make him out to be.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Miguel Cabrera:
The Tigers owe Cabrera $20M in 2010 as part of the remaining six years and $126M on his deal. Maybe they'd take some expiring contracts, Hudson and/or Jordan Danks. If that were to happen, I'd be very happy.

Why would we give them expiring contracts AND our best prospects? If we did both, the Tigers better be footing at least half of Cabrera's bill. Also, I doubt the Tigers trade Cabrera within the division, even if they are slashing payroll.

SoxNation05
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I can see a Brad Hawpe or a Luke Scott type pick up.

Rockies OF: Hawpe, Seth Smith, Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez

Orioles OF: Scott, Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Nolan Reimold

kittle42
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I voted no one. 50 cents short.

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Why would we give them expiring contracts AND our best prospects? If we did both, the Tigers better be footing at least half of Cabrera's bill. Also, I doubt the Tigers trade Cabrera within the division, even if they are slashing payroll.

We give them the expiring contracts and best prospects because DET is within the division. Of course, the Sox don't go offering that deal immediately. If DET will take one of the two options, then we're golden.

getonbckthr
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Prince Fielder for Hudson, Jordan Danks, Viciedo and another prospect or 2.
----------
Reason: Danks can be mocved because our OF is set for a couple years. Hudson is moveable due to our loaded rotation. Viciedo future is as a 1B/DH/3B Fielder can do 2 of those. Money wise Konerko is off the books next season as is AJ (I would prefer to bring AJ back) and Linebrink in 2 years.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
----------
Reason: Danks can be mocved because our OF is set for a couple years. Hudson is moveable due to our loaded rotation. Viciedo future is as a 1B/DH/3B Fielder can do 2 of those. Money wise Konerko is off the books next season as is AJ (I would prefer to bring AJ back) and Linebrink in 2 years.Eww... your kidding?

That would ruin our system.

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
----------
Reason: Danks can be mocved because our OF is set for a couple years. Hudson is moveable due to our loaded rotation. Viciedo future is as a 1B/DH/3B Fielder can do 2 of those. Money wise Konerko is off the books next season as is AJ (I would prefer to bring AJ back) and Linebrink in 2 years.

I like the idea, but I'm not crazy about trading Danks. Pierre is gone after 2 years, and that's right around when Danks should be ready to come up.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I like the idea, but I'm not crazy about trading Danks. Pierre is gone after 2 years, and that's right around when Danks should be ready to come up.

Jared Mitchell might be close at that point.

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I voted no one. 50 cents short.

Has KW not proven you/this theory wrong enough yet? Jake Peavy is costing a TON of money over the next few years. A hell of a lot more than fifty cents, really.

SoxNation05
12-15-2009, 10:10 PM
If you can get a young, powerful stud you don't worry about a ****ing 23 year old OF who strikes out a lot and lacks power.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
----------

...and what do we do for 1B/DH when Konerko walks? I know Fielder will cover one, but what about the other?

I'd also like to hold on to Hudson. You never know when someone in the rotation could get hurt, and having someone like Hudson ready to step in would make the hit not as hard to take.

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
If you can get a young, powerful stud you don't worry about a ****ing 23 year old OF who strikes out a lot and lacks power.

Touchè.

Crede24Thome25
12-15-2009, 10:19 PM
----------

I'd do this deal in a heart beat:D:

12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
----------

If the brewers are stupid enough to do this, then I would jump all over this

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 10:35 PM
The thing about Prince is that I believe he's a FA after next season. If we were to acquire him, I'd want a deal similar to Halladay and Santana where we get a window to sign him to an extension.

kittle42
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Has KW not proven you/this theory wrong enough yet? Jake Peavy is costing a TON of money over the next few years. A hell of a lot more than fifty cents, really.

As a couple others have said in other threads, I might shut the hell up about this if the Sox can actually add the (probably) one more big bat they need to truly be a favorite in the Central without worrying about a few more million.

Daver
12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Harold Baines is coming out of retirement to DH and platoon in RF.

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Could've sworn it was Rickey Henderson.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 11:15 PM

With Fisk?

Soxfest
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
No to Thome ship has sailed!

WhiteSox5187
12-16-2009, 01:59 AM
With Fisk?

Fisk played LF...I think he also made some spot starts behind the plate.

Sargeant79
12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
...and what do we do for 1B/DH when Konerko walks? I know Fielder will cover one, but what about the other?

You worry about that next offseason. There will be free agents and trades to be made next winter too, just like every year.

Thatguyoverthere
12-16-2009, 10:44 AM
If the brewers are stupid enough to do this, then I would jump all over thisMe too. The brewers need pitching, and it would take a hell of a lot more than Hudson and Jordan Danks to get Fielder. They'd probably want one of our starting pitchers. But if you can get Fielder by only giving up prospects, then you do it. He's a top five hitter in the game.

Flight #24
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
:hurt

Who's a bigger bat than the Hurt?

:KW
"Not on my watch"

:(:

jabrch
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Maybe they'd take some expiring contracts, Hudson and/or Jordan Danks. If that were to happen, I'd be very happy.

Why would we give them expiring contracts AND our best prospects?

What are you guys talking about? This isn't the NBA. Why would they want "expiring contracts"? They want prospects - and top prospects at that. What value is an "expiring contract" to them?

guillen4life13
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM
What are you guys talking about? This isn't the NBA. Why would they want "expiring contracts"? They want prospects - and top prospects at that. What value is an "expiring contract" to them?

Net money savings. Take on their $126M contract and they take on a $12M load for one year in return. They save $8M in that first year while the Sox take that on. It gives Detroit immediate and long term flexibility and money savings. It has nothing to do with a cap.

PalehosePlanet
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't want either, but it will probably be Russell Branyan or Aubrey Huff. Why? besides being left handed bats, they would definitely be the cheapest options.

NLaloosh
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
At this point I'm pretty sure that it will be no one. And, that's ok with me.

BadBobbyJenks
12-16-2009, 01:28 PM
We certainly don't have the ammunition for Adrian Gonzalez.

If we could land any big bat in a deal centered around Jordan Danks, sign me up. He is already ridiculously overrated on this board.

pythons007
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm going to take a crazy guess and say KW makes a blockbuster for Hanley Ramirez. Then adds a LH DH type like Thome or Cust.

Why is this not in teal? Florida would be asking at minimum for our entire farm system. I mean the entire farm system I mean to the point we don't have a single prospect at any level plus one of our starting pitchers!Thats beyond crazy talk! :scratch:

GAsoxfan
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I think it will be Delgado sometime in January. Besides being a full-time DH, I think he's a perfect fit for the Sox. Plus, he fits two of Kenny's criteria for acquiring players:

1) It's a buy-low situation with Delgado coming back from an injury

2) He's a guy Kenny's tried to acquire in the past

BadBobbyJenks
12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Why is this not in teal? Florida would be asking at minimum for our entire farm system. I mean the entire farm system I mean to the point we don't have a single prospect at any level plus one of our starting pitchers!Thats beyond crazy talk! :scratch:

I fail to see the downside of this scenario.:tongue:

UofCSoxFan
12-16-2009, 02:14 PM

If he did that people would be complaining more about the disappointing DH situation or the prospects we had to give up than focusing on getting a top 3 player in baseball.

UofCSoxFan
12-16-2009, 02:19 PM

I would gut our farm system in a minute to get a guy in his low 20s that can hit for power, steal bases, and field with the best of them. Who cares how good your farm system is. The point is to have a good major league team. If you trade say your top 6 prospects, likely 1 at most will make an all-start team, two may be solid players and 3 won't amount to anything. That's a steal for a player like Ramirez. Plus its not like you are trading for a guy that is 35. You have 10 years of Ramirez to rebuild your farm system. This deal wouldn't happen, not because the Sox are afraid it would prevent them from field championship calliber minor league teams, but that the Marlins would laugh at their return.

It's just laughable to me how much stock people on this site put into prospects--to the point that they wouldn't trade for a proven stud that's only a couple years older.

Waysouthsider
12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I think it will be Delgado sometime in January. Besides being a full-time DH, I think he's a perfect fit for the Sox. Plus, he fits two of Kenny's criteria for acquiring players:

I'm thinking Kenny's holding off 'till mid season...but if he does anything, I think it could be Delgado.....right on GA.....

Crede24Thome25
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
It's just laughable to me how much stock people on this site put into prospects--to the point that they wouldn't trade for a proven stud that's only a couple years older.

I agree %100, there's a reason why we have a draft every year.

guillen4life13
12-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I just want to make sure the Sox hold on to Hudson. I want at least one contingency plan in case a SP goes down.

pythons007
12-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I would gut our farm system in a minute to get a guy in his low 20s that can hit for power, steal bases, and field with the best of them. Who cares how good your farm system is. The point is to have a good major league team. If you trade say your top 6 prospects, likely 1 at most will make an all-start team, two may be solid players and 3 won't amount to anything. That's a steal for a player like Ramirez. Plus its not like you are trading for a guy that is 35. You have 10 years of Ramirez to rebuild your farm system. This deal wouldn't happen, not because the Sox are afraid it would prevent them from field championship calliber minor league teams, but that the Marlins would laugh at their return.

I agree %100, there's a reason why we have a draft every year.

Actually I agree with you guys. My response was little bit misunderstood. I would give up the farm to get him but our farm isn't worth a crap. That's why I said we wouldn't have anyone left in any level. Florida would definately laugh at that offer.

"In a very unusual trade, the White Sox have proposed a trade with the Florida Marlins in which they trade their entire farm system in exchange for Hanley Ramirez."

DickAllen72
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
We certainly don't have the ammunition for Adrian Gonzalez.
Beckham, Hudson, Flowers and another prospect or two would probably get it done.

sox1970
12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Beckham, Hudson, Flowers and another prospect or two would probably get it done.

Well, that's not going to happen.

Dibbs
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM

I think the Padres would take Beckham straight up. I am sure Kenny wouldn't.

russ99
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
:hurt

Who's a bigger bat than the Hurt?

I'd kill to see Frank get one last shot with the Sox and hang em up back home.

Probably won't happen though. The sad part is he's probably just as reliable as Andruw Jones at this point...

DaveFeelsRight
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Why does everyone think it's Dunn? Just wondering.

JermaineDye05
12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
What would it take to get Nick Markakis out of Baltimore?

asindc
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
What would it take to get Nick Markakis out of Baltimore?

Angelos' willingness to be run out of town. Seriously, more than it's worth.

JermaineDye05
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Angelos' willingness to be run out of town. Seriously, more than it's worth.

I'm just wondering if the O's desperate need for pitching would allow them to depart with Nick now that Adam Jones has emerged. Though I do hear they have some pretty solid prospects coming up in the next couple of years.

I'm just a big Markakis fan which is why I asked. I don't think it'll happen.

Then again, I'm also a huge Jake Peavy fan and I didn't think there was a chance that'd happen last year. However it was well known that Jake was on the trade market and there is no indication at all that the O's want to depart with Nick.

asindc
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm just wondering if the O's desperate need for pitching would allow them to depart with Nick now that Adam Jones has emerged. Though I do hear they have some pretty solid prospects coming up in the next couple of years.

I'm just a big Markakis fan which is why I asked. I don't think it'll happen.

Then again, I'm also a huge Jake Peavy fan and I didn't think there was a chance that'd happen last year. However it was well known that Jake was on the trade market and there is no indication at all that the O's want to depart with Nick.

Baltimore's organizational philosophy seems to be to hold on to the up and coming everyday players while trying to get their pitching back in shape. Other than Roberts, Markakis is by far the most popular O's player, so if they traded him for merely a reasonably even exchange in talent, the fan base would revolt. I would say they are not desperate, but if you want to overpay to get him, they will listen.

Craig Grebeck
12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Markakis had a pretty blah year in 2009, and I don't see the Orioles moving him after such a year. If I'm dealing with the O's, I'm offering someone like Hynick for Luke Scott. He's no world-beater, but as a platoon option or a DH, he's a hell of a lot better than Kotsay.

cards press box
12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Markakis had a pretty blah year in 2009, and I don't see the Orioles moving him after such a year. If I'm dealing with the O's, I'm offering someone like Hynick for Luke Scott. He's no world-beater, but as a platoon option or a DH, he's a hell of a lot better than Kotsay.

Luke Scott is a good call. I don't know if the Orioles are looking to trade Scott but, as stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottlu01.shtml?redir) show, he would provide some lefty pop.

Craig Grebeck
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Luke Scott is a good call. I don't know if the Orioles are looking to trade Scott but, as stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottlu01.shtml?redir) show, he would provide some lefty pop.
I wouldn't be surprised. Scott also just called out the organization a little bit. It probably wasn't his smartest move, but I'm sure he just wants to get the hell out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles were intent on going with an OF of Pie/Jones/Markakis next year, with Reimold at DH. It won't compete with the rest of the AL East, but they won't be so bad.

wulfy
12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Why does everyone think it's Dunn? Just wondering.

I voted for Dunn because:

1) He's on a one year deal for a team that is a lot further away than one year from competiting.
2) Hid $12MM salary has to be cholking the Nationals and they may be motivated to move him for this reason alone.
3) He's the ideal fit who can hit mid-40s in the Cell. LH power, high on base - the risk/reward on strikeouts is worth it to me.
4) Plus Dunn has a Top 5 nickname in The Big Donkey. Only the self-named Big Puma in Houston is clearly better, IMHO. Also like Kung Fu Panda for Pablo Sandoval.

asindc
12-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Markakis played hurt for the last 1/2 of the season, so I would not put too much stock in his 2008 stats.

NLaloosh
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I still say that Nick Johnson would be the best fit for this year and beyond. The guy gets on base about 42% of the time.

The Sox could bat him allmost anywhere with the lineup they have and he'll score a ton. They could bat him 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

The Sox desperately need a high OBP guy. Another thing they'll miss about Thome.

It's been reported that he's only looking for a two year deal but the Giants and Mariners are only offering one.

He'd be worth a 2 year $ 10 mil. deal.

NLaloosh
12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm curious as to why so many people feel that Adam Dunn is going to b e dealt. Can anyone tell me why it appears this way because I haven't heard anything indicating that the National have any desire at all to trade him.

KRS1
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I still say that Nick Johnson would be the best fit for this year and beyond. The guy gets on base about 42% of the time.

I want Nick too, but with the Yanks, Red Sox, Mariners and Giants all showing interest, I think he's bound to get paid big by one fo those free spenders.

Mohoney
12-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Brandon Hynick for Luke Scott? Why would the O's do that?

Craig Grebeck
12-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Brandon Hynick for Luke Scott? Why would the O's do that?
Luke's a 30+ year old corner outfielder who will be entering arbitration and has posted an OPS around .800. I think his value to the Sox far outstrips his value to the O's.

rwcescato
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Vlad Guerero

Tragg
12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
How did that philosophy work out for the Tigers? They did exactly what you suggest.
How many playoff appearances have they made since they did that?
Trade everything for Ramirez; for Halliday; for Burnett ----- uh oh. We don't win squat if we do any of those things.
Prospects are a currency, at the very least - use it wisely.

veeter
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/794/slideshow_79484/display_image.jpgThanks for cracking me up. I love Carl.

slavko
12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd bet any and all of you a root beer that our front office has already discussed Milton Bradley among themselves if the Cubs pick up most of his bucks.

Foulke You
12-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm curious as to why so many people feel that Adam Dunn is going to b e dealt. Can anyone tell me why it appears this way because I haven't heard anything indicating that the National have any desire at all to trade him.
I think it is because the Nationals are a bad team in total rebuild mode and Dunn is an expensive player on the last year of his contract. Dunn being there or not being there isn't going to prevent them from losing 90+ games this year. My feeling is that Dunn will be their prized trade chip near the deadline and not be dealt now. Teams are in the business of selling hope to their fans in April and if you deal your best hitter before the season even starts, it makes it harder to sell tickets. The Nationals will likely wait until at least June when they are double digit games back in the standings before dealing Dunn. It's an easier sell to your fans.

kittle42
12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd bet any and all of you a root beer that our front office has already discussed Milton Bradley among themselves if the Cubs pick up most of his bucks.

In my opinion, better than the current gaping hole at DH.

pythons007
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Has Gary Sheffield called it quits? Wasn't this one of KW guys that he wanted? The dude can still swing the bat, but I wouldn't want two players like that on the team (the other being Andruw Jones).

DirtySox
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
In my opinion, better than the current gaping hole at DH.

I wouldn't be against it either.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Tragg:

I don't have my decade winning seasons / playoff appearance notes right in front of me so this may be off but if memory serves, Detroit has had 2 (or maybe 3) winning seasons in the past few years including getting to the World Series.

Considering they were losing, 90, 100 or more games a year, before that, and were considered a joke in MLB, I'd say their organization was pretty happy with what they did.

I know there fans were and that's the bottom line isn't it?

Prospects may occasionally blow up in your face if you deal them but the numbers still completely show that prospects RARELY even get to the big leagues, let alone make an impact (Baseball America study of the minor leagues).

I'll trade a dozen of them if I have to, to get proven guys who have had success in the toughest league in the world, the major leagues.

You can't put a price on that either.

Lip

pythons007
12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Tragg:

I don't have my decade winning seasons / playoff appearance notes right in front of me so this may be off but if memory serves, Detroit has made 2 (or maybe 3) playoff apopearances in the past few years including getting to the World Series.

Considering they were losing, 90, 100 or more games a year, before that, and we're considered a joke in MLB, I'd say their organization was pretty happy with what they did.

I know there fans were and that's the bottom line isn't it?

Prospects may occasionally blow up in your face if you deal them but the numbers still completely show that prospects RARELY even get to the big leagues, let alone make an impact (Baseball America study of the minor leagues).

I'll trade a dozen of them if I have to, to get proven guys who have had success in the toughest league in the world, the major leagues.

You can't put a price on that either.

Lip

Lip that was well put. I read somewhere on here today by someone who called prospects a form of currency, spend them wisely. I think that is exactly what KW has done throughout his tenor here.

khan
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Considering they were losing, 90, 100 or more games a year, before that, and we're considered a joke in MLB, I'd say their organization was pretty happy with what they did.

Why do you state that our White Sox are considered a joke in MLB? :scratch:

[EDIT] Or do you mean that SOX fans are considered a joke in MLB?

I'm a bit turned around here.

Zisk77
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Discussed most definately...but I bet the consenus was no way.

Zisk77
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Why do you state that our White Sox are considered a joke in MLB? :scratch:

[EDIT] Or do you mean that SOX fans are considered a joke in MLB?

I'm a bit turned around here.

I think its an obvious typo and should read were, referring to the Tigers who were very much a laughing stock.

So Lip get a citation from the grammar police.:redneck

khan
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I think its an obvious typo and should read were, referring to the Tigers who were very much a laughing stock.

So Lip get a citation from the grammar police.:redneck

No, I'm not the grammar police. But Lip is the type of writer that one wouldn't even think that he'd make such a rookie mistake.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Khan:

It happens to the best...my apologies. I'll correct this.

Lip

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I want Nick too, but with the Yanks, Red Sox, Mariners and Giants all showing interest, I think he's bound to get paid big by one fo those free spenders.

On MLBTR today, it said the Yanks have interest, but want to give him a one year deal. He's searching for a 2 year deal, which we could offer to him. I think we will probably sign Jack Cust, but I want Nick Johnson and also think he's a good fit with his OBP.

rowand33
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Branyan hit under .200 after the break last year (his break out season). He still clubbed out homers, but I wouldn't want him in the middle of the lineup.

Cust can't hit lefties and is a sub-.240 career hitter.

We don't want either of these guys.

Brewski
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Khan:

It happens to the best...my apologies. I'll correct this.

Lip

No apologies needed. Homonyms can be a bear.

soxinem1
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Looks like Johnson comes off the list, as it looks like he is about to sign with NYY.

Cashman always liked him and didn't really want to trade him. He probably thinks he can hit at least 25 HR in pinstripes.

johnnyg83
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Cashman always liked him and didn't really want to trade him. He probably thinks he can hit at least 25 HR in pinstripes.

He might be able to in the new Yankee Stadium.

gr8mexico
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
This could be true and maybe the White Sox are holding out. Hoping
that the Cubs pick up almost all his contract and take Scott Linebrink.

JermaineDye05
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
This could be true and maybe the White Sox are holding out. Hoping
that the Cubs pick up almost all his contract and take Scott Linebrink.

If the Sox got Milton Bradley, I would not want to be KW at SoxFest.

Medford Bobby
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Vlad Guerero
BIBGO!! Wow, after 75 posts in someone finally mentions,

http://brady4heisman.com/images/wtf3.jpg

jabrch
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
If the Sox got Milton Bradley, I would not want to be KW at SoxFest.

I would NEVER want to be KW at Soxfest. The douchebags come out en mass.

kaufsox
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM

that is an excellent point, KW has a habit of going after the same players year after year (even if they get over the hill in the process) sadly, I don't think there will be any additions the rest of year.

gr8mexico
12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
It looks like KW is going to wait and see what's left.
Too many options not enough DH spots for some of these guys left.

SOXSINCE'70
12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I voted for "someone else". I've heard the name Vladmir Guerrerro bandied about, but I'll believe it when Kenny says it.Almost every A.L. team is interested in Vlad,including the Twinkies.Of course this is under the "rumor has it" category, so take this post with a grain of salt.

JermaineDye05
12-17-2009, 09:59 PM
If the O's get Matt Holliday then I'm seriously crossing my fingers and hoping it's Nick Markakis. He'd be a perfect fit for the Sox and could also fit into the rotating DH theory. Ozzie could do an outfield with Quentin/Rios/Markakis one day with Pierre as the DH and not have to worry about Juan's weak arm or he could do an outfield of Pierre/Rios/Markakis if Carlos' legs need a rest. Plus, his homerun totals would shoot up playing in the Cell.

Now, once again, I would like to reiterate that I don't think Nick is going anywhere and I have nothing to base this theory off of. This is just a Markakis fan hoping to see him brought to the south side.

It worked for Jake Peavy... :cool:

DSpivack
12-18-2009, 01:47 AM
If the O's get Matt Holliday then I'm seriously crossing my fingers and hoping it's Nick Markakis. He'd be a perfect fit for the Sox and could also fit into the rotating DH theory. Ozzie could do an outfield with Quentin/Rios/Markakis one day with Pierre as the DH and not have to worry about Juan's weak arm or he could do an outfield of Pierre/Rios/Markakis if Carlos' legs need a rest. Plus, his homerun totals would shoot up playing in the Cell.

Now, once again, I would like to reiterate that I don't think Nick is going anywhere and I have nothing to base this theory off of. This is just a Markakis fan hoping to see him brought to the south side.

It worked for Jake Peavy... :cool:

Yep, Markakis is going nowhere. Even if they sign Holliday, which would be shocking to say the least, O's fans will still riot if they trade Markakis. He's pretty much the most beloved Oriole these days behind/next to Brian Roberts.

JermaineDye05
12-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Yep, Markakis is going nowhere. Even if they sign Holliday, which would be shocking to say the least, O's fans will still riot if they trade Markakis. He's pretty much the most beloved Oriole these days behind/next to Brian Roberts.

Funny, I would think Adam Jones would have that honor. Then again, he did just break out this past season and Markakis and Roberts have been good for a while.

DSpivack
12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Funny, I would think Adam Jones would have that honor. Then again, he did just break out this past season and Markakis and Roberts have been good for a while.

Orioles draft pick, more of a fan favorite type than is newcomer Jones, at least so far. Markakis and Roberts seemed to dominate the current jerseys in the few games I saw there in the last couple years.

34 Inch Stick
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I would NEVER want to be KW at Soxfest. The douchebags come out en mass.

I would never want to be anyone at Soxfest for the same reason.

I'm shocked they (and the rest of the sports world) have tricked their fans to pay to attend something that is a promotional event for the team. They should be paying fans to attend.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I would never want to be anyone at Soxfest for the same reason.

I'm shocked they (and the rest of the sports world) have tricked their fans to pay to attend something that is a promotional event for the team. They should be paying fans to attend.

I so agree.

I love the Sox because they play baseball. Watching them play baseball is all I care about. Not some silly convention full of lunatics looking to stampede people for stupid autographs.

I find these fan conventions as silly as people siting out on a cold Thursday night in November for doors to open on a Black Friday.

Sargeant79
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I so agree.

I love the Sox because they play baseball. Watching them play baseball is all I care about. Not some silly convention full of lunatics looking to stampede people for stupid autographs.

I find these fan conventions as silly as people siting out on a cold Thursday night in November for doors to open on a Black Sunday.

I'm pretty much with you there too. Some people love that kind of stuff, and that's great if they do. But I've never really been into getting autographs and meeting famous people. To me, the only thing that would be interesting would be the Q&A forum.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty much with you there too. Some people love that kind of stuff, and that's great if they do. But I've never really been into getting autographs and meeting famous people. To me, the only thing that would be interesting would be the Q&A forum.

Q&As would be interesting, but even those get stacked with people who ask just about the dumbest questions one can think of.

JermaineDye05
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM

This is the only reason I go. The autographs are nice and all but not something I'd pay so much for. I enjoy getting the chance to talk to Kenny and other players. Especially Kenny, just to see if you can get a feel for what next player he's looking at.

I'm rather pissed because I just missed the mic at last years convention by two people. My question was of a facetious quality, but I wanted to see what Kenny's reaction would be:

"Knowing that you are always under the radar and that always the least expected move is the one that happens, when do you plan on bringing Jake Peavy to the South Side?"

This was in the midst of the "Jake Peavy going to the Cubs" mania. Knowing that Kenny asked about Jake in 2008, I'm really curious as to what his response would have been. I consider it a missed opportunity.

JermaineDye05
12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Q&As would be interesting, but even those get stacked with people who ask just about the dumbest questions one can think of.

If I had a nickel for every time someone asked JD what it was like to get the GW single at game 4.

I've only been to 1 Sox Fest after the World Series and that was last years. Still there were a ton of questions like that.

Granted, they are kids and I don't blame them. The more annoying ones are the fans that are just there to complain. Why the **** are you there if you just want to give Kenny and/or players a hard time? Put your money to better use.

JermaineDye05
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Back to the topic at hand...

I like to think that Kenny is under the radar again, searching for a big bat. Just a power bat that can guarantee us AT LEAST 35 HR for next year, can put us over the hump.

By "over the hump" I don't mean division. I'm talking about the whole damn thing.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Back to the topic at hand...

I like to think that Kenny is under the radar again, searching for a big bat. Just a power bat that can guarantee us AT LEAST 35 HR for next year, can put us over the hump.

By "over the hump" I don't mean division. I'm talking about the whole damn thing.

The sea is very calm, I expect a tidal wave here soon.

DonnieDarko
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I dunno. I get the feeling that Kenny Williams is pretty much done this offseason, actually. I don't think that we're getting that elusive power bat that can also play the field.

BadBobbyJenks
12-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Nick Johnson just signed with the Yanks for 5 million FYI.

LoveYourSuit
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Nick Johnson just signed with the Yanks for 5 million FYI.

They can have him. OBP% does not drive runs in, we need a run producing threat that can hit the ball out badly.

NLaloosh
12-18-2009, 06:14 PM
They can have him. OBP% does not drive runs in, we need a run producing threat that can hit the ball out badly.

Yeah, who needs all those guys clogging up the bases.

I think Nick would've worked out great for the long term as well. They wouldn't have any need to bring Konerko back. Nick's only 31 and is a pretty decent fielder.

Oh, well.

Zisk77
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
From whats available, I'm beginning to think the best course of action might be to sign DeRosa, make TCQ the dH and then acquire one of the big bats that will become available at the deadline if needed.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd very much like to sign DeRosa.

Lip

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I think we should've traded Getz and Fields for something of more value and signed DeRosa in the first place.

LoveYourSuit
12-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I think we should've traded Getz and Fields for something of more value and signed DeRosa in the first place.

Maybe we over-valued Getz and Fields :shrug:

NLaloosh
12-19-2009, 03:07 AM

Lip

I can't see that. I like De Rosa and he's a good clubhouse guy but he's looking for way too much money, firstly.

The Cardinals haven't come close to signing him and they NEED him.

The Sox don't need him with the roster they have now. They need a left handed bat. He'll be 35 and his OBP dropped to .319 last year.

I wouldn't give him anything like the kind of money that he's looking for.

Plus, he's greatest value would be at 2B or 3B. He isn't going to play there on the Sox. It's just not a good fit right now.

NLaloosh
12-19-2009, 03:19 AM
At this point I don't think that the Sox will add anyone to start the season.

Or, Kenny could be waiting to see if a real bargain falls in his lap. In that case I think we'd be looking at Huff, Branyan or Delgado.

Although I doubt that Delgado would want to come here or that he would be that cheap.

Danielgosox38
12-19-2009, 06:34 AM
It would be beyond idiotic and irresponsible for the Sox to start the season without a DH, with as amazing of a pitching staff as we have. We have a legit chance to go to the world series.... IF we get a DH.

TDog
12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
It would be beyond idiotic and irresponsible for the Sox to start the season without a DH, with as amazing of a pitching staff as we have. We have a legit chance to go to the world series.... IF we get a DH.

The White Sox have Quentin, who could be an excellent designated hitter. He would have DHed more last year if Thome hadn't been on the team so deep into the season. And Quentin doesn't figure to be the regular leftfielder in 2010.

It would be beyond idiotic to sign someone with abysmal defensive skills who can be counted on to hit 20 home runs while striking out in a third of his plate appearances and hitting less than .240.

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Maybe we over-valued Getz and Fields :shrug:

Even so, what does that have to do with my post?

oeo
12-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Even so, what does that have to do with my post?

Could they have gotten anything more than someone like Teahen? Doubtful.

SoxNation05
12-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Could they have gotten anything more than someone like Teahen? Doubtful.

Teahen is a marginal player and the money we wasted on him alone made that trade a bad one.

kaufsox
12-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Teahen is a marginal player and the money we wasted on him alone made that trade a bad one.

What more did you expect from Getz and Fields? Neither one is as good as Teahen, damning with faint praise I know, but I'm guessing the market for those two was pretty minimal.

DickAllen72
12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I can see a Brad Hawpe or a Luke Scott type pick up.

Rockies OF: Hawpe, Seth Smith, Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez

Orioles OF: Scott, Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Nolan Reimold
I was just thinking about Luke Scott today as a possibility.

Anyone have any idea what it would take to get him?

Scott alternating with Pierre and Quentin at DH allows Pierre to keep his legs fresh and helps Quentin stay healthy (hopefully) while keeping them all in the lineup. It sure beats relying on Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel to provide production from the DH slot.

hi im skot
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Lip

O-VER-RATED *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

BadBobbyJenks
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Lip

9 Million a year for a super utility player, where do I sign up!

RowanDye
12-22-2009, 01:15 AM

Teahan > DeRosa

They are similar players except Teahan is 6 yrs. younger and less compensated.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Bad Bobby:

You think he's going to get that amount now?

Maybe... but I still love his grit and his desire to win. The Sox clubhouse sorely lacked that fire the past few years.

Lip

doublem23
12-22-2009, 12:45 PM
9 Million a year for a super utility player, where do I sign up!

We'd be back in the AL lead in grindiness, though.

JohnTucker0814
12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Bad Bobby:

You think he's going to get that amount now?

Maybe... but I still love his grit and his desire to win. The Sox clubhouse sorely lacked that fire the past few years.

Lip

I think Peavy has enough grit and desire to win! I feel like most of the new guys that we've acquired are here for the right reasons... to win! Peavy, Putz and Pierre are going to bring some new life to this team. Plus, I'm pretty sure A.J., Burls and Konerko are driven by winning as well.

BleacherBandit
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Can I get a percentage chance that the Sox will get Dunn? I think he's the perfect player for the Sox. Who would the Sox need to give up? Isn't Dunn guaranteed $10 million this year? Is that an OK price for the Sox? I didn't think KW said he had that much money to throw around.

Zisk77
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Can I get a percentage chance that the Sox will get Dunn? I think he's the perfect player for the Sox. Who would the Sox need to give up? Isn't Dunn guaranteed $10 million this year? Is that an OK price for the Sox? I didn't think KW said he had that much money to throw around.

In the off season: 2.5%
At trade deadline (provided we haven't acquired a big bat by then) 33%