PDA

View Full Version : Sox close to making another deal??

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
http://twitter.com/SoxNet/status/6702852749

I wonder who we might be getting. Any ideas?

Rohan
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Middle of the order... That could be a DH.

oeo
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Consider the source...SoxNet may have gotten the quickest bad reputation ever.

Rohan
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
SoxNet may have gotten the quickest bad reputation ever.

How so? I know nothing about SoxNet. I don't even know what it is.

oeo
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
How so? I know nothing about SoxNet. I don't even know what it is.

Posting crazy rumors, like the three-way deal for Adrian Gonzalez. SoxNet is like Bruce Levine, Joe Cowley, etc. You see them post a rumor, and you want someone reputable to report it before you believe it.

It's a blog on Chicago Now.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Posting crazy rumors, like the three-way deal for Adrian Gonzalez. SoxNet is like Bruce Levine, Joe Cowley, etc. You see them post a rumor, and you want someone reputable to report it before you believe it.

It's a blog on Chicago Now.Eh. I am not jumping with joy yet, but I won't discount this info. They posted from a supposed source that The Sox had "preliminary discussions" about getting Gonzales. Anyone who knows how KW works shouldn't be surprised by that at all. They never said it was a done deal or close. I have no reason to doubt them yet. Their "bad rep" has been provided by Cowley, who threw a hissy fit after he found out bloggers could do a better job than he does. He spent the next couple of weeks mocking them, and making himself look like even more of a clown.

sox1970
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Anyone else tired of cryptic messages about trades? Either name names, or shut up.

DumpJerry
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Anyone else tired of cryptic messages about trades? Either name names, or shut up.
...or don't read these threads?:shrug:

dickallen15
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Consider the source...SoxNet may have gotten the quickest bad reputation ever.

Its the guys who run Soxtalk.com. They have some sources and have broken plenty of White Sox news. They don't make stuff up.

sox1970
12-15-2009, 02:58 PM
...or don't read these threads?:shrug:

I'll read the threads to see what's going on. It's the twitter messages from obscure sites that don't have any details that I have the problem with.

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UTorHoq-aWQ/R1GFcFgtdFI/AAAAAAAABtY/iZYOkPZ46J4/s400/ls8.jpg

"Yeah, and Grizzly Adams had a beard."

Jimmy Piersall
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UTorHoq-aWQ/R1GFcFgtdFI/AAAAAAAABtY/iZYOkPZ46J4/s400/ls8.jpg

Shooter McGavin coming our way ?

whitem0nkey
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll read the threads to see what's going on. It's the twitter messages from obscure sites that don't have any details that I have the problem with.

you should stay out of "Whats the score" and just go to the "baseball discussion", this will save you the grief of speculatory topics.

Whats the score; runaway rumors and lots of Lovable Loser laments. Check your brain at the door, and "Hey dude, what's the score?

HTH

spawn
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Its the guys who run Soxtalk.com. They have some sources and have broken plenty of White Sox news. They don't make stuff up.
Exactly. Some guy there actually posted Putz would be signed by the end of the wek last week. He was right. Another source there also called the Vizquel and Jones signings, although with Jones, he said the signing was for a low risk, high reward player. I wouldn't discount them.

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
According to Soxnet. It will be a huge bat for the middle of the lineup.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

"Grizzly Adams did have a beard."

DumpJerry
12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
According to Soxnet. It will be a huge bat for the middle of the lineup.
:thome:
I can't imagine who that could be. Not little 'ole me.....

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
As much as I love Adrian Goznalez, something tells me he's heading to the Sawx now that Clay Buccholz should be available.

IF the rumor is true and IF it is a "huge" bat, then you can get much huger than this:

http://www.sheboyganfalls.k12.wi.us/students/hogue12/12jjhand/images/070924_Prince-Fielder_vlg_9p.widec%5B1%5D.jpg

We'd have to be giving up a **** ton though. I can't imagine we'd get him without moving Danks (John) or Floyd.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
As much as I love Adrian Goznalez, something tells me he's heading to the Sawx now that Clay Buccholz should be available.

IF the rumor is true and IF it is a "huge" bat, then you can get much huger than this:

http://www.sheboyganfalls.k12.wi.us/students/hogue12/12jjhand/images/070924_Prince-Fielder_vlg_9p.widec%5B1%5D.jpg

We'd have to be giving up a **** ton though. I can't imagine we'd get him without moving Danks (John) or Floyd.

Want.

asindc
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Then no thank you. I think the 2010 team's success is predicated on the starting rotation pitching a lot of quality innings. I don't want to see that broken up at all, unless Pujols comes back in the deal.

Chrisaway
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Such a mighty wallop.

gr8mexico
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Lets just hope we dont have to pay him by the LBS :tongue:

chunk
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM

If there's one team that will have to pay an absolute premium for Gonzalez, it's going to be the Red Sox. Hoyer knows the absolute ins and outs of that system and will get maximum value. In fact, if he doesn't, I'd be willing to bet accusations of collusion would be levied pretty quickly. Buchholz wouldn't be nearly enough.

Danielgosox38
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I really wouldn't mind if it's Thome. We need a lefty DH, and I think Thome would come back here for cheap.

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I wonder if it could be Adam Dunn

Danielgosox38
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I wonder if it could be Adam Dunn

I would really really love that.

sox1970
12-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Dunn would be nice, but I question whether they'd bring on a player making 12 million in 2010.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Lyle Overbay might be a possibility.

decolores9628
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Vlad?

GAsoxfan
12-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Dunn would be nice, but I question whether they'd bring on a player making 12 million in 2010.

Not to mention they'd probably have to give up Hudson plus some additional prospects.

Danielgosox38
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Vlad?

He isn't a lefty, but I still wouldn't mind this at all.

Scottiehaswheels
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm gonna go off the wall and guess Big Pappi.

Danielgosox38
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Would the Red Sox give up on him just yet?

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Lyle Overbay might be a possibility.

No.

Vlad?

Please, no.

GOD, no.

DumpJerry
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Vlad is washed up. Minnie Minoso could do a better job today with a bat.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Not to mention they'd probably have to give up Hudson plus some additional prospects.

Prospects are going to be given up either way if they are making a trade. The cost will be significantly less acquiring Dunn who has a 1 year deal as opposed to someone like Adrian or Prince who have longer deals and are more valuable.

Scottiehaswheels
12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
No.

Please, no.

GOD, no.LOL I'm just guessing... He's got one year left on his deal and Red Sox probably need to clean up some room on payroll/roster with these latest moves. Making 13 mil next year... I'd be willing to bet the Red Sox would be willing to eat 10 mil of that.

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
LOL I'm just guessing... He's got one year left on his deal and Red Sox probably need to clean up some room on payroll/roster with these latest moves. Making 13 mil next year... I'd be willing to bet the Red Sox would be willing to eat 10 mil of that.

I understand the logic, but I don't want a washed-up, dog-faced steroid freak on my team.

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Nick Johnson would be a great fit for the Sox

spawn
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
No.

Please, no.

GOD, no.
Classic. :rolling:

Scottiehaswheels
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I understand the logic, but I don't want a washed-up, dog-faced steroid freak on my team.Ha nor do I...

Heffalump
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Please. The guy has never had more than 77 rbi's or 23 hr. You want to put him as the "big bat" in the middle of the lineup?

Blah.

Domeshot17
12-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Nick Johnson is not a good fit for the White Sox, at all. He has never driven in 80 runs in his career or hit 25 homers. I know everyone loves this bull**** idea that you can win without any power, but you can't. The Sox need someone in the middle who is going to knock in runs. Johnson is a fine OBP guy, but for the 1 opening we have, he needs to be able to do something other than draw a walk.

decolores9628
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Matt Holliday! I really hope neither pink or teal is needed.

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Nick Johnson is not a good fit for the White Sox, at all. He has never driven in 80 runs in his career or hit 25 homers. I know everyone loves this bull**** idea that you can win without any power, but you can't. The Sox need someone in the middle who is going to knock in runs. Johnson is a fine OBP guy, but for the 1 opening we have, he needs to be able to do something other than draw a walk.

The Sox have 6 guys in the lineup that can hit 20 plus home runs.

Konerko
Rios
Q
Beckham
Teahen
Alexei

The 03 Marlins didn't have a lot of power guys in their championship lineup. The Twins seem to win a lot with not a lot of power guys in their lineup.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it was ignored because I made the mistake of putting it next to a more controversial comment that I had also posted.

My question is why people would want the Sox to sign Vlad. I'm not being sarcastic either. I'm wondering if there are reasons that I haven't considered. I ask because it seems as though anything that he can do, JD would do better. With Matsui getting 1 yr/6.5 mil, I can't imagine JD would be more expensive. I realize that the Sox now have a hefty payroll, but Vlad doesn't make sense at all with the current options on the market.

Heffalump
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it was ignored because I made the mistake of putting it next to a more controversial comment that I had also posted.

My question is why people would want the Sox to sign Vlad? I'm not being sarcastic either. I'm wondering if there are reasons that I haven't considered. I ask because it seems as though anything that he can do, JD would do better. With Matsui getting 1 yr/6.5 mil, I can't imagine JD would be more expensive. I realize that the Sox now have a hefty payroll, but Vlad doesn't make sense at all with the current options on the market.

Yep, throw him in the "we love nick johnson" pile of bad ideas from people who are not KW.

Domeshot17
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Konerko
Rios
Q
Beckham
Teahen
Alexei

The 03 Marlins didn't have a lot of power guys in their championship lineup. The Twins seem to win a lot with a lot of power guys in their lineup.

(1) Out of those 6 how many are a lock? Konerko? The rest we have no idea on. Quentin if he is healthy but at what, a 240-250 average?

(2) The twins DO have a lot of power in their lineup. 2 guys over 30 homers, 2 guys at 28 homers, 2 guys over 100 rbis, 2 guys 94 rbis or higher.

Out of those guys you listed with the Sox, how many can hit 30 homers? Heck, truth is theres a better chance than not the Sox currently don't have a 30 homer hitter.

Nick Johnson is a terrible fit.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Konerko
Rios
Q
Beckham
Teahen
Alexei

The 03 Marlins didn't have a lot of power guys in their championship lineup. The Twins seem to win a lot with a lot of power guys in their lineup.

I think you mean "without"...

Boondock Saint
12-15-2009, 04:16 PM

My question is why people would want the Sox to sign Vlad? I'm not being sarcastic either. I'm wondering if there are reasons that I haven't considered. I ask because it seems as though anything that he can do, JD would do better. With Matsui getting 1 yr/6.5 mil, I can't imagine JD would be more expensive. I realize that the Sox now have a hefty payroll, but Vlad doesn't make sense at all with the current options on the market.

Not only this, but it's already been said that KW won't sign a pure DH, and that's exactly what Vlad is now. Hell, Vlad's so beat up, that he'll probably need to rest a couple days a week even as a DH!

TheOldRoman
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
The guy who posted that on Soxnet just revised it. He said it was a typo, and should have read "closing in on" a deal, instead of "close to".

GAsoxfan
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Prospects are going to be given up either way if they are making a trade. The cost will be significantly less acquiring Dunn who has a 1 year deal as opposed to someone like Adrian or Prince who have longer deals and are more valuable.

Yeah, I know. Personally, I'd rather see them sign a free agent to DH rather than give away the few legit MLB prospects they have.

If they were going to trade however, I'd rather give up more for several years of control rather than less for one year of Dunn.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
(1) Out of those 6 how many are a lock? Konerko? The rest we have no idea on. Quentin if he is healthy but at what, a 240-250 average?

(2) The twins DO have a lot of power in their lineup. 2 guys over 30 homers, 2 guys at 28 homers, 2 guys over 100 rbis, 2 guys 94 rbis or higher.

Out of those guys you listed with the Sox, how many can hit 30 homers? Heck, truth is theres a better chance than not the Sox currently don't have a 30 homer hitter.

I'm definitely someone who has been preaching about the need for pitching and a balanced line-up, but now that those needs are met, I do believe the Sox need one more run producer in the order. That said, I would really like it if they targeted someone that didn't K a whole lot. I realize that goes against the idea of power hitter (minus 1993 Frank Thomas), but I really think the Sox have been hampered by too many Ks over the past years. I also am not sure Teahen will help the situation. Furthermore, I don't even know if there are many options out there as to guys who don't K a lot. Maybe some of those more statistically inclined could help me out (even you Grebeck... although I'd guess we'd start arguing over whether or not it even matters if the guys K a lot).

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Without looking at the 03 Marlins stats. I believe they only had 1 or maybe two guys that had over 30 home runs.

I believe Konerko & Q are locks to have 30 plus home runs

Rios & Beckham around 25.

dickallen15
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM

My question is why people would want the Sox to sign Vlad. I'm not being sarcastic either. I'm wondering if there are reasons that I haven't considered. I ask because it seems as though anything that he can do, JD would do better. With Matsui getting 1 yr/6.5 mil, I can't imagine JD would be more expensive. I realize that the Sox now have a hefty payroll, but Vlad doesn't make sense at all with the current options on the market.
JD has already said he doesn't want to DH. Some guys have a tough time adjusting to being a DH. If a guy refuses to be one, he's probably a guy that wouldn't do well there. Vlad has DHed. I don't know how Vlad is physically, but he was much better the second half of last year than the first half. Perhaps he's not done, and perhaps he can play the field on occassion. I really hope the Sox don't change DH's game to game. With the troubles some have with the adjustment, it would be better IMO to have a guy that would DH most of the time. It would be a bonus if he could play the field on occassion.

Corlose 15
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM

I think Quentin hits 20 HR whether he's healthy or not. He hit 21 last year and clearly wasn't healthy. If he's healthy he puts up a .280-.300 average and a high 3 OBP.

That said, you're right. I want Nick Johnson nowhere near this team.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
(1) Out of those 6 how many are a lock? Konerko? The rest we have no idea on. Quentin if he is healthy but at what, a 240-250 average?I have no idea what would make you think that. He was injured last year, and he had struggled to find his stroke at the beginning of the year after the wrist surgery. For as much as he struggled, he still hit .236. He hit .288 in 08 with 36 homers. And this wasn't a fluke. This is the type of talent he has always had. Questioning if he can stay healthy is one thing (although his injuries have been unrelated and flukish), but claiming he would have to swing for the fences and hit .250 to get to 30 homers is asinine.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Not only this, but it's already been said that KW won't sign a pure DH, and that's exactly what Vlad is now. Hell, Vlad's so beat up, that he'll probably need to rest a couple days a week even as a DH!

Right. I guess I left that out because I've learned over the years to not trust anything KW says (even moreso in the off-season). That said, I have no reason to not believe this quote in particular. I think it's a good idea the Sox move in the direction... assuming there aren't obvious choices who can only DH.

The guy who posted that on Soxnet just revised it. He said it was a typo, and should have read "closing in on" a deal, instead of "close to".

Ugh. I don't even know if that changes anything (at least in how I read/took it), but I'm sure this will lead back to ppl arguing again over whether this site is reliable.

decolores9628
12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Without looking at the 03 Marlins stats. I believe they only had 1 or maybe two guys that had over 30 home runs.

Derrek Lee and Mike Lowell had over 30 HRs.

Only Lowell had more than 100 RBIs (105)

Only Lee (92), Encarnacion (94), and Lowell had over 90 RBIs

TheOldRoman
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Ugh. I don't even know if that changes anything (at least in how I read/took it), but I'm sure this will lead back to ppl arguing again over whether this site is reliable.I guess "closing in on" means KW has focused on a particular player and is working on getting him. He didn't want to imply that it was really close or could happen any minute.

dickallen15

Konerko
Rios
Q
Beckham
Teahen
Alexei

The 03 Marlins didn't have a lot of power guys in their championship lineup. The Twins seem to win a lot with not a lot of power guys in their lineup.

The White Sox are going to need to hit home runs. All those guys reaching 20 is a reach. Their team OBP isn't going to be the greatest. Pierre, although it was pretty good in 2009, probably will be in the .330 range. Teahan doesn't get on much. Team speed is OK, not outstanding. They need some power.

Heffalump

How is Konerko a lock? He hasn't hit 30 in three years?

And Quentin is a lock? He had one big season and is prone to injuries

Rios and Beckham are locks for 25? How so?

I guess we have a big difference in how we understand the word "lock"

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
How is Konerko a lock? He hasn't hit 30 in three years?

And Quentin is a lock? He had one big season and is prone to injuries

Rios and Beckham are locks for 25? How so?

I guess we have a big difference in how we understand the word "lock"

I believe Konerko had over 30 HR's in 07. 23 Hr's in an offseason in 08 while 28 last year.

Q will have a MVP season for the Sox next season. A full year of Beckham he should have around 25.

I see a rebound season for Rios.

Domeshot17
12-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I have no idea what would make you think that. He was injured last year, and he had struggled to find his stroke at the beginning of the year after the wrist surgery. For as much as he struggled, he still hit .236. He hit .288 in 08 with 36 homers. And this wasn't a fluke. This is the type of talent he has always had. Questioning if he can stay healthy is one thing (although his injuries have been unrelated and flukish), but claiming he would have to swing for the fences and hit .250 to get to 30 homers is asinine.

My point was, even when he was back and healthy at the end of the year his average was low. I guess I think he can be a .270 hitter with everything going right, I just don't see him hitting near .300 again, but thats me, hopefully I am wrong.

As for Rockabilly, I can't argue with hope. But Konerko at his age, I don't see how after a 28 homer healthy season you can claim hes a 30 homer lock. Quentin if healthy ill give you is a liklihood. Rios hit 17 homers last year and has NEVER hit 25 in his career. He has only cleared 20 once. Beckham, if given a 540 at bat season, would have projected to 20 homers even last year.

Here is the point: With Rios-Teahen-Beckham we covered the gap hitters. All those guys don't have a ton of raw home run power, but they can hit 40 doubles in a year. Thats a GREAT thing to have but you can't (1) make it something its not and (2) think because you have it you can ignore other holes.

Dunn is the ideal fit, a high power high OBP guy. After him I don't know. But I look at the Yanks, the Red Sox, they both have rotations just as good as ours. If we are going to compete with them, we need to get this team to score some runs.

Domeshot17
12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
I believe Konerko had over 30 HR's in 07. 23 Hr's in an offseason in 08 while 28 last year.

Q will have a MVP season for the Sox next season. A full year of Beckham he should have around 25.

I see a rebound season for Rios.

Like I said, A full year of Beckham last year was 20 home runs. He could jump to 25, he could end up hitting 18. He is probably going to end up a lot like Rios, a doubles hitter with some power.

With Rios, look at his career Stats. You aren't calling for a rebound season, you are calling for a career year.

Corlose 15
The White Sox are going to need to hit home runs. All those guys reaching 20 is a reach. Their team OBP isn't going to be the greatest. Pierre, although it was pretty good in 2009, probably will be in the .330 range. Teahan doesn't get on much. Team speed is OK, not outstanding. They need some power.

Outside of Teahen, none of those guys hitting 20 HR would be a reach. Rios hit 17 last year in the worst year of his career. Beckham hit 14 in 103 games. Quentin hit 21 in an injury riddled year, and Ramirez hit 21 his first season. Other than 2008 when he was hurt and played in 122 games, Konerko hasn't hit fewer than 20 HR since his disastrous 2003 season, and he still made it to 19 that year.

Rockabilly
My point was, even when he was back and healthy at the end of the year his average was low. I guess I think he can be a .270 hitter with everything going right, I just don't see him hitting near .300 again, but thats me, hopefully I am wrong.

As for Rockabilly, I can't argue with hope. But Konerko at his age, I don't see how after a 28 homer healthy season you can claim hes a 30 homer lock. Quentin if healthy ill give you is a liklihood. Rios hit 17 homers last year and has NEVER hit 25 in his career. He has only cleared 20 once. Beckham, if given a 540 at bat season, would have projected to 20 homers even last year.

Here is the point: With Rios-Teahen-Beckham we covered the gap hitters. All those guys don't have a ton of raw home run power, but they can hit 40 doubles in a year. Thats a GREAT thing to have but you can't (1) make it something its not and (2) think because you have it you can ignore other holes.

Dunn is the ideal fit, a high power high OBP guy. After him I don't know. But I look at the Yanks, the Red Sox, they both have rotations just as good as ours. If we are going to compete with them, we need to get this team to score some runs.

I would love to see Dunn on the Sox but don't think KW is going to add 12M to this roster.

As far as Rios goes. I see him hitting the 25 hr's because of our ball park

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
JD has already said he doesn't want to DH. Some guys have a tough time adjusting to being a DH. If a guy refuses to be one, he's probably a guy that wouldn't do well there.

I don't think this is a reason to rule him out though (besides the fact that I would think the Sox are in the market for a LH bat). I'm sure that JD prefers to play the field, but I'm sure he also realizes that it can lengthen his career AND that he tanked in the 2nd half of last season. And to clarify your comment, I'm pretty sure that he said he didn't want to be a full-time DH (or along those lines) because he can still play the field. I don't believe that if the Sox signed him, he would be a full-time DH. It makes all the sense in the world if he's on the roster, that there's a constant shuffling between he and TCQ (and maybe even with Rios and Pierre) due to the fact that both have injury/"old-man" concerns.

That said, this doesn't make sense for the Sox seeing as they need a LH bat in the middle of the order, AND they already have Andreu (how the hell does he spell his first name?) Jones who would provide similar features (obviously not as well) to the line-up as Dye.

This is why I really wish I knew the reasons that the Sox didn't get Matsui. He seems to fill everything the Sox are looking for, and at a seemingly decent market price. He gives: a LH bat, a power/middle-of-the-line-up bat, and can play defense (in the OF too). I mean I would think something like 2 yr/10-12 mil would have been better than the 1 yr deal that the Angels gave him. We'll probably never know why it didn't happen, but it would have given the Sox their (seemingly) final missing piece (unless the Sox deal Konerko for Gonzalez and then sign JD with the extra money).

voodoochile
12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Vlad is washed up. Minnie Minoso could do a better job today with a bat.

What? Last year while struggling with injuries he posted an OPS of .794. The prior year he was close to .900 and all the years coming up to that he was well over it. He'll only be 35 in February too...

Corlose 15
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
What? Last year while struggling with injuries he posted an OPS of .794. The prior year he was close to .900 and all the years coming up to that he was well over it. He'll only be 35 in February too...

Based on what I've heard he can barely move anymore.

chaotic8512
12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
That said, this doesn't make sense for the Sox seeing as they need a LH bat in the middle of the order, AND they already have Andreu (how the hell does he spell his first name?) Jones who would provide similar features (obviously not as well) to the line-up as Dye.

It's Andruw. And yeah, it's got to be a left-handed bat, regardless. Thome, Delgado, Dunn in a trade...

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Based on what I've heard he can barely move anymore.

This is what I've heard too... but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure my only sources have been WSI.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
It's Andruw. And yeah, it's got to be a left-handed bat, regardless. Thome, Delgado, Dunn in a trade...

I'll go ahead and disagree with the Dunn hope (don't like the K's), but (thread hijack) that's a sweet sig. As a young kid, those were definitely my top two teams. Can't beat Charlie Ward and Warrick Dunn in the backfield... boy they were good. Plus, the national championship game where they faced-off against Tommy Frasier and Nebraska was awesome.

Flight #24
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I guess "closing in on" means KW has focused on a particular player and is working on getting him. He didn't want to imply that it was really close or could happen any minute.

If history is any guide, then KW will either make the big trade for Gonzalez now.......or make a minor trade and acquire him in about 10 years.

kittle42
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
If history is any guide, then KW will either make the big trade for Gonzalez now.......or make a minor trade and acquire him in about 10 years.

Probably the latter. "We've had our eyes on this guy for a long time."

12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Adam Dunn Please

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I see Adam Dunn being a remote possibility. Trading for guys with relatively high salaries, especially when it's a one year rental, is not KW's MO, unless he can lock Dunn up for a few more years.

I'm going to have to play wait and see on this. I have no idea who it could be.

Zisk77
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Well if we are speculating, how about Carlos Beltran.

awhile ago a rumor emerged that the mets might be looking to deal him and might have interest in Linebrink :scratch:. Prospects + linebrink Maybe some more Money to us to Beltran. beltran Cf, Rios Rf, TcQ DH...not that I think thats going to happen, but who knows.

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Well if we are speculating, how about Carlos Beltran.

awhile ago a rumor emerged that the mets might be looking to deal him and might have interest in Linebrink :scratch:. Prospects + linebrink Maybe some more Money to us to Beltran. beltran Cf, Rios Rf, TcQ DH...not that I think thats going to happen, but who knows.

Not without the Mets taking some of that $18.5M Beltran is due each of the next two seasons.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Not without the Mets taking some of that $18.5M Beltran is due each of the next two seasons.

I think that's what he was saying...

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2009, 06:01 PM

Maybe because he's one of the best players in the history of baseball? That in his absolutely "horrendous" 2009 year he still hit .295. By far the lowest avg. of his career?
That at age 35 (in Feb) he still might have something left in the tank and certainly something to prove?

I'm not saying to sign Vlad, or not sign him, but my God the way some of you are overreacting and talking **** about him you'd think he was Chris Snopek reincarnate.

Craig Grebeck
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Maybe because he's one of the best players in the history of baseball? That in his absolutely "horrendous" 2009 year he still hit .295. By far the lowest avg. of his career?
That at age 35 (in Feb) he still might have something left in the tank and certainly something to prove?

I'm not saying to sign Vlad, or not sign him, but my God the way some of you are overreacting and talking **** about him you'd think he was Chris Snopek reincarnate.
We have enough guys that are looking to rebound. We already had a terrible fielding and quickly aging outfielder in JD.

Danielgosox38
12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/12/juan_pierre_trade.html

Read the first entry, it is under "acquiring another bat". Apparently Ozzie is content with where they are, and would like a rotating DH with what they have. Hopefully Kenny isn't listening to his nonsense.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
We have enough guys that are looking to rebound. We already had a terrible fielding and quickly aging outfielder in JD.

I know, and I agree. I'm just defending Vlad because I'm flummoxed at all the nasty shots he's taking form people in this thread.

I do think he'll have a good year DHing for someone though.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/12/juan_pierre_trade.html

Read the first entry, it is under "acquiring another bat". Apparently Ozzie is content with where they are, and would like a rotating DH with what they have. Hopefully Kenny isn't listening to his nonsense.

Yea. I read that a bit ago. I think it's garbage. It's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I'm not going to put much stock into it yet, as I think Kenny is still going to bring in a big bat.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM

What the ****? I would "fix your post", but I've been informed that it's frowned upon. Maybe something crawled up you and died, but I haven't "overreacted" or "talked ****" about him at all. I merely thought that with reports of what I heard about his current health (the Angels wouldn't even re-sign him to DH), JD would be a more suitable replacement being able to still play the field (again, I've been told that Vlad is probably beyond that stage of his career) and the fact that JD would probably (I'm assuming) give the Sox a slight discount comparatively to other teams in search of his services.

My post was to genuinely ask questions as to why Vlad would be a better option than JD. Apparently you missed the sentiment behind it (even though I specifically put that I was not being sarcastic). My apologies.... I'll try to be more clear in the future.

Finally, I would argue that Vlad is not "one of the best players in the history of baseball", although he has been extremely good for a long period of time.

Pablo_Honey
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
My post was to genuinely ask questions as to why Vlad would be a better option than JD.
It's quite simple really. Vlad showed he can still hit. JD didn't. There is a reason why DH stands for Designated HITTER. JD may be more durable and come with a discount, but you can't deny that JD's bat was nowhere near Vlad's last season. 9 times out of 10, I'd take a risk in signing Vlad and hope he remains healthy.

EDIT: Okay, that was a bad, biased post. My bad. JD had the power numbers going for him despite the second half tanking. Also, I realize I can't compare the numers the two put up last season since Vlad only played 100 games. Still, I'd be more confident in Vlad's bat than JD's.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
What the ****? I would "fix your post", but I've been informed that it's frowned upon. Maybe something crawled up you and died, but I haven't "overreacted" or "talked ****" about him at all. I merely thought that with reports of what I heard about his current health (the Angels wouldn't even re-sign him to DH), JD would be a more suitable replacement being able to still play the field (again, I've been told that Vlad is probably beyond that stage of his career) and the fact that JD would probably (I'm assuming) give the Sox a slight discount comparatively to other teams in search of his services.

My post was to genuinely ask questions as to why Vlad would be a better option than JD. Apparently you missed the sentiment behind my post.

Finally, I would argue that Vlad is not "one of the best players in the history of baseball", although he has been extremely good for a long period of time.

Sorry if I made it seem like I was aiming my reply to you and only you. I was speaking in general about the negative talk regarding Vlad; didn't mean to make it seem like you did the blasting. My bad.

As far JD goes: Maybe he'll change his tune over the next month but he was looking for 3 years.

I think we should go in a different direction.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Well, if we're trading foa big bat then we must be giving up some good talent. Who are the Sox gonna trade?

soxinem1
12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

This is not Shooter's tour!!:smile:

soxinem1
12-15-2009, 06:38 PM

I see where you are coming from, but there are a LOT of 'IF' players on this roster.

With three starters, two relievers, and several position players in this category, not to mention Beckham surviving a sophmore jinx, and Pierre getting adjusted to a new league, so adding another one is a little much to roll the dide on.

VMSNS
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Well, if we're trading foa big bat then we must be giving up some good talent. Who are the Sox gonna trade?

Kenny put Konerko on waivers last season, so I'd assume he is on the block, along with Jenks, Linebrink, and possibly Quentin.

Daver
12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Kenny put Konerko on waivers last season, so I'd assume he is on the block, along with Jenks, Linebrink, and possibly Quentin.

If I had to hazard a guess, every player on the roster was put on waivers last year at the deadline, it is pretty much SOP.

BadBobbyJenks
12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Adam Dunn is the perfect fit here.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Could the Sox get a huge bat for the middle of the lineup for Konerko, Jenks, Linebrink and Quentin?

Pablo_Honey
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Could the Sox get a huge bat for the middle of the lineup for Konerko, Jenks, Linebrink and Quentin?
Eh, negative. The first three are making a lot of money compared to the numbers they are putting up. If they are moved, it would be a pure salary-dumping. And the last one has nagging feet injuries and a rich injury history to go along with that. The only feasible thing to do is to keep him and see what he can do before giving up on him.

oeo
12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Eh, negative. The first three are making a lot of money compared to the numbers they are putting up. If they are moved, it would be a pure salary-dumping. And the last one has nagging feet injuries and a rich injury history to go along with that. The only feasible thing to do is to keep him and see what he can do before giving up on him.

How is his foot injury considered nagging? And he really doesn't have a long injury history. His injury problems just started a few years ago with his shoulder. He was completely healthy in 2008 until he hit his bat. That's two, count them, two injuries, one of them which was a shoulder injury. Sounds kind of fluky to me.

Sam Spade
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
How is his foot injury considered nagging? And he really doesn't have a long injury history. His injury problems just started a few years ago with his shoulder. He was completely healthy in 2008 until he hit his bat. That's two, count them, two injuries, one of them which was a shoulder injury. Sounds kind of fluky to me.

I don't think his foot injury will ever go away. Its something that once people have, they have to live with, for the rest of their lives. My mother and uncle both have it. There is surgery available, but even that is no guarantee.

Of course, you have a point if you are implying that it didn't keep him out of baseball in the second half of the year, but it may do that in the future at some point.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Sox acquiring abig bat ? Maybe it's Nick Swisher?

Jermaine Dye?

Carlos Lee?

Jim Thome?

oeo
12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think his foot injury will ever go away. Its something that once people have, they have to live with, for the rest of their lives. My mother and uncle both have it. There is surgery available, but even that is no guarantee.

Of course, you have a point if you are implying that it didn't keep him out of baseball in the second half of the year, but it may do that in the future at some point.

Okay, and do you know how bad Quentin's is? It can't be that bad considering he was moving around pretty well by the end of the year.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
The only big bats that I can think of that even might be available are Prince Fielder, Adrain Gonzalez or David Ortiz.

Konerko for Ortiz might make sense.

Fielder would be great but Konerko would have to be moved.

Gonzalez would cost the farm.

Craig Grebeck
12-15-2009, 07:18 PM
The only big bats that I can think of that even might be available are Prince Fielder, Adrain Gonzalez or David Ortiz.

Fielder isn't coming here, but why on earth would Konerko have to be moved?

Sam Spade
Okay, and do you know how bad Quentin's is? It can't be that bad considering he was moving around pretty well by the end of the year.
Right now, apparently not that bad, but it could easily get worse at any time. There are exercises and therapy I'm sure he utilizes to prevent that, but obviously its not something that will ever be completely under his control.

NardiWasHere
Dunn at 13mil? That's not bad at all if you can shed Jenks' salary.

With this starting staff, you can't half ass it. There is a legit shot for this team... a few million more shouldn't stop them from making a move that would put them over the hump like that.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Dunn at 13mil? That's not bad at all if you can shed Jenks' salary.

With this starting staff, you can't half ass it. There is a legit shot for this team... a few million more shouldn't stop them from making a move that would put them over the hump like that.

Why would the Nationals want to trade Dunn? And, who would the So xgive up? And, where would he play?

Sam Spade
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
So I guess what I am saying is, I'm obviously no doctor, but if the information I have gathered is correct, calling Carlos's affliction a "nagging injury" is accurate. I fully expect him to miss more time due to this condition. I hate to say that, because I absolutely love to watch him play when he is healthy.

russ99
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM

I'd think Quentin would bring the best return, but all would likely bring in close to MLB prospects, and not name players.

But the reason Kenny would make those moves is to clear payroll for another deal to get the big bat, but we'd need to deal a name prospect, like Danks, Flowers or Hudson.

Of the three, I'd think Flowers would bring the most back, and we have other catching prospects in the system, but none with his quality of hitting skills.

chunk
12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
So I guess what I am saying is, I'm obviously no doctor, but if the information I have gathered is correct, calling Carlos's affliction a "nagging injury" is accurate. I fully expect him to miss more time due to this condition. I hate to say that, because I absolutely love to watch him play when he is healthy.

Plantar fasciitis certainly lingers, but for how long, who knows. My concern about Quentin's injuries is he seems to be the type that will try to play through the pain to his own detriment.

NardiWasHere
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Why would the Nationals want to trade Dunn? And, who would the So xgive up? And, where would he play?

I thought he was rumored to be available.

I'd give up any combination of players in the farm.

He's a perfect DH. I can understand if you say the Sox don't have the players to trade for him. I can understand if you say the Nats don't want to deal him. But, my god, he's a perfect fit. They need a DH and that's what he is. (Lefty too)

soltrain21
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM

What?

johnnyg83
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Why would the nats want him? They're way more than a year away from contending ... He's expensive for their team and the phillies are loaded.

dickallen15
12-15-2009, 07:55 PM

I had it about 5 years ago, real bad. It lasted for about 3 months. It never came back.

Sam Spade
12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I had it about 5 years ago, real bad. It lasted for about 3 months. It never came back.

Hopefully the same thing happens to Carlos. The two people I know who have it have had it for a few years each.

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
What?

Playstation.

Corlose 15
12-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Yep. I believe that for most people, with the proper therapy and splints, and correct body mechanics that it should go away after a few months. If there is some degeneration it may be more of a problem.

Either way, Sam Spade's family cases and Carlos Quentin's case aren't related in any way. :smile:

oeo
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Playstation.

Who makes that move on Playstation? Maybe the Red Sox. Ortiz was a roider, he's done.

Zisk77
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I thought he was rumored to be available.

I'd give up any combination of players in the farm.

He's a perfect DH. I can understand if you say the Sox don't have the players to trade for him. I can understand if you say the Nats don't want to deal him. But, my god, he's a perfect fit. They need a DH and that's what he is. (Lefty too)

Dunn hits hr's, walks, and K's. He is hardly a perfect DH. He is a premier power hitter however. Miguel Cabrera is a perfect DH, too bad Detroit has him play 1b.

guillen4life13
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I had PF and it still occasionally flares up. I started having the problem when I was 10 or 11. It's very painful.

I find that if I'm doing a lot of standing or walking (especially on uneven surfaces or cobblestone paths), it flares up again (found this out when I worked at Oberweis and would be standing for 4-6 hours a day at work).

The less standing Quentin has to do, the less pain he's gonna feel, if he's anything like me.

Sam Spade
12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I had PF and it still occasionally flares up. I started having the problem when I was 10 or 11. It's very painful.

I find that if I'm doing a lot of standing or walking (especially on uneven surfaces or cobblestone paths), it flares up again (found this out when I worked at Oberweis and would be standing for 4-6 hours a day at work).

The less standing Quentin has to do, the less pain he's gonna feel, if he's anything like me.
I think lifestyle is extremely important when evaluating PF. I'm not sure if this will work in CQ's favor or against him. On one hand, he doesn't necessarily have to be on his feet too much. Alternatively, when he is on his feet, he can be really hard on them. I think some people here are being a bit too positive regarding the likelihood of this effecting CQ's playing time, and I'm probably being a little too negative.

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091215&content_id=7814082&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Whitesox.com is calling SoxNet's bluff.

FielderJones
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091215&content_id=7814082&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Just Kenny under the radar again.

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Just Kenny under the radar again.

I'm not buying it either. This team desperately needs some thump and Kenny knows that.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Isn't the 40-man roster at 39, not 40?

getonbckthr
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Thats called Kenny sees something he wants but the price is a bit steep in a trade.

cws05champ
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Isn't the 40-man roster at 39, not 40?

It's at 39 if Jon Link is indeed in the deal, as he was on the 40 man. As of right now they have Juan Pierre and Link on the roster.

Sam Spade
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Kenny wants to add a LH bat, ozzie doesn't. A frustrating article, but its probably just talk to keep sox fans from being restless if nothing happens.

Domeshot17
12-15-2009, 11:15 PM
This is why I can't really like Ozzie as a manager. He thinks if he can run out a team of 9 guys just like him they would win a title. Kotsay as a full time DH is terrible. Jones as a full time DH is terrible. Nix as a full time anything is Terrible. Vizquel at DH?!?! The combination of the 4? Every game will be getawayday.

Baron
12-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Kenny wants to add a LH bat, ozzie doesn't. A frustrating article, but its probably just talk to keep sox fans from being restless if nothing happens.

Kenny gets what Kenny wants.....Were going to get someone.

WhiteSoxOnly
12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Kenny gets what Kenny wants.....Were going to get someone.

Me thinks the same.Kenny just wants everybody off the trail until he pulls something off.Damned nosy bloggers screwing things up !

VMSNS
12-15-2009, 11:40 PM
The idea of Jones, Kotsay, Nix, or Vizquel at DH makes me sad. I hope Kenny can get someone decent.

JermaineDye05
12-15-2009, 11:45 PM
The idea of Jones, Kotsay, Nix, or Vizquel at DH makes me sad. I hope Kenny can get someone decent.

Nix on the 25-man roster makes me sad.

Brian26
12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Ozzie keeps going back to the day in 2005 when he started Timo Perez at leadoff as the DH vs. Boston, and Timo had a better game that day than David Ortiz.

Over the course of 162 games, I'd rather have Adam Dunn than Timo.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry if I made it seem like I was aiming my reply to you and only you. I was speaking in general about the negative talk regarding Vlad; didn't mean to make it seem like you did the blasting. My bad.

As far JD goes: Maybe he'll change his tune over the next month but he was looking for 3 years.

I think we should go in a different direction.

:thumbsup:. I agree. 3 years is not the way to go.

cards press box
12-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Not even eleven days ago, KW told (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/12/nothing_forced_for_no_1_hitter.html) the press that 90% of the teams don't have a classic leadoff man but have been successful. Fast forward eleven days and the Sox trade for Juan Pierre.

It is possible that the Sox will have a rotating DH which, in effect, would be a way to keep the bats of everyday players like Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin, Juan Pierre, Alex Rios and perhaps others such as Alexei Ramirez in the lineup while giving them a day off in the field. On the other hand, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the Sox acquire a strong lefty bat and keep 11 pitchers on the roster.

Taliesinrk
12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Ozzie keeps going back to the day in 2005 when he started Timo Perez at leadoff as the DH vs. Boston, and Timo had a better game that day than David Ortiz.

That's why Ozzie is the manager and you're not!

gr8mexico
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Tomorrow is Wednesday so lets all make sure we stay close to a computer.

parlaycard
12-16-2009, 12:21 AM

Because he makes a lot of money and although he had a damn good season last year they still finished in last place.

Whats the difference to the Nationals whether they have Dunn or not? 60 wins without him and a lot of extra cash, or 70 wins tops with him. Last place is last place.

He would play DH. I dont think you's have to give up a lot for him. Hopefully not Hudson or Flowers. But getting Dunn might put the Sox over the top.

Scottiehaswheels
12-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Thats called Kenny sees something he wants but the price is a bit steep in a trade.Or the trade is dependent upon another trade being executed. Say Mike Lowell and his thumb issue with the Ranger deal....

asindc
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM

In case some have missed Ozzie's point, he was talking about any given single game, meaning that there is no need to throw a hissy fit about Timo Perez spot starting at DH a game here or there unless you have someone like David Ortiz or Adam Dunn on your roster and he a) is not injured; b) is not playing another position that day; or c) is not resting that day. I know that some who are being critical are just being snarky and not literal, but just in case that is not true for someone I'll say this: There is nothing in Ozzie's track record that remotely suggests that he would rather have Timo Perez as a DH than either David Ortiz or Adam Dunn. If you think otherwise, please tell the rest of us why.

asindc
12-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Because he makes a lot of money and although he had a damn good season last year they still finished in last place.

Whats the difference to the Nationals whether they have Dunn or not? 60 wins without him and a lot of extra cash, or 70 wins tops with him. Last place is last place.

He would play DH. I dont think you's have to give up a lot for him. Hopefully not Hudson or Flowers. But getting Dunn might put the Sox over the top.

Adam Dunn is not going to be traded before the trade deadline unless someone overpays for him. The Nats don't want to trade him, so the talks would have to be initiated by another team and they would have to put a better than reasonable offer on the table at this point. The main reason why he is not on the trading block now is that the Nats are trying to rebuild their credibility with the fan base.

russ99
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Tomorrow is Wednesday so lets all make sure we stay close to a computer.

Doubtful this happens this week, or even before the new year.

I think Kenny will add someone with pop into the mix at DH, but in January when guys like Dye, Thome, Delgado, Vlad, etc. are desperate for a spring job and will sign for $1M-2M 1 year deals.

The bigger question, since we're around $105M in payroll, is will Kenny cut a big salary?

The Dude
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM

**** what Ozzie wants...he's not the GM for a reason. If he were, god help us all! I really hope we can add just one more bat. If so, I feel very confident for a solid division run:gulp:

GAsoxfan
12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Dunn will be a Type A free agent next year, so any team will have to give up prospects of more value than two early picks. The Sox might be able to get him without giving up either of those two, but I doubt it.

pythons007
12-16-2009, 09:59 AM
**** what Ozzie wants...he's not the GM for a reason. If he were, god help us all! I really hope we can add just one more bat. If so, I feel very confident for a solid division run:gulp:

If Ozzie were a GM, you would see an exact replica of the Twins team! It might be like the bizarro Twins. UH OH!

Craig Grebeck
12-16-2009, 10:14 AM
If Ozzie were a GM, you would see an exact replica of the Twins team! It might be like the bizarro Twins. UH OH!
I wouldn't mind that at this point. They have a very powerful lineup.

Sargeant79
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Not even eleven days ago, KW told (http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/12/nothing_forced_for_no_1_hitter.html) the press that 90% of the teams don't have a classic leadoff man but have been successful. Fast forward eleven days and the Sox trade for Juan Pierre.

Great example. I really don't understand why anyone pays any attention to what Kenny and Ozzie say in the offseason. It usually means nothing.

The Dude
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM

I highly doubt Ozzie could EVER pull off being a GM. Sounds worse than giving Hawk another shot at it! :o: