PDA

View Full Version : Remaining candidates for DH?

Harry Chappas
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Assuming we don't move TCQ to DH, with Hideki going to Anaheim, who are the viable candidates for the Sox? I don't follow free agency that closely, but I've seen Cust's name thrown out there. Are there any others that KW is sniffing around?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Assuming we don't move TCQ to DH, with Hideki going to Anaheim, who are the viable candidates for the Sox? I don't follow free agency that closely, but I've seen Cust's name thrown out there. Are there any others that KW is sniffing around?

Cust
Thome
Crap

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I rather see the Sox pick up another outfielder like Upton and move Q to the DH role.

balke
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Delgado, Thome, Nick Johnson, Derosa, Tejada, Gomes, Holliday, Sheffield, Randy Winn, Bay, Damon, Ankiel, Nady, Mike Sweeney, Blalock, Vlad, Giambi, Huff.

As far as a semblance of power this is all I see on the free agent list.

Rockabilly
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Delgado, Thome, Nick Johnson, Derosa, Tejada, Gomes, Holliday, Sheffield, Randy Winn, Bay, Damon, Ankiel, Nady, Mike Sweeney, Blalock, Vlad, Giambi, Huff.

As far as a semblance of power this is all I see on the free agent list.

I would add Dye to the list.

balke
12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah I forgot Dye and possibly Kearns Brian Giles or Jenkins.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Russell Branyan.

balke
12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Russell Branyan.

Haha- whoa I had no idea he hit 31 hr last year. That's pretty random.

beasly213
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Dye has already said he does not want to be a full time DH. However we could split time between him and TCQ so Dye gets some time in the field as well.

Sargeant79
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure any of the guys mentioned in this thread are plan A, but there's a good chance we'll wind up with one of them. It wouldn't surprise me to see a trade made though.

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Haha- whoa I had no idea he hit 31 hr last year. That's pretty random.

Branyan had a great year last year and he can play 1B, 3B, LF and RF.

He wouldn't be a bad pickup and he's used to being platooned and coming off the bench.

soxinem1
12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I think Delgado is the best bounceback candidate of the group.

jej254
12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Jacobs and Glaus too.

gr8mexico
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I think Delgado is the best bounceback candidate of the group.
I agree and he might be the best LH bat left.

beasly213
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
If Thome wants to take a one year deal. I say we bring him back. I was never a huge fan of him but he may be the best option out there.

soltrain21
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Delgado had a great 2008, and was having a great 2009 until he got hurt. It's Delgado or bust, really.

Zisk77
12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
DeRosa Rf TCQ dH

Or

Vlad

or

Thome, Dye, Delgado, Blalock, Nady.

or stand pat Platoon Kotsay/Jones TCQ to DH

asindc
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I like Delgado, Nick Johnson (I'm also willing to give up a few HR for the high OBP), or Dye if he can be convinced to DH 85-90% of the time.

Rohan
12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Branyan had a great year last year and he can play 1B, 3B, LF and RF.

He wouldn't be a bad pickup and he's used to being platooned and coming off the bench.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't know how much we have left. But I have a feeling part of the reason The Dodgers picked up half of Pierre's salary over the next two years is because we couldn't really have done it without them doing so.

I would love LOVE to see Mr. Branyan on the Sox though. His power more than makes up for the strikeouts.

Marqhead
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't know how much we have left. But I have a feeling part of the reason The Dodgers picked up half of Pierre's salary over the next two years is because we couldn't really have done it without them doing so.

I would love LOVE to see Mr. Branyan on the Sox though. His power more than makes up for the strikeouts.

Nothing about Branyan excites me. He's a career .234 hitter who had a break out year. Someone is going to vastly overpay for him, looks like the Mariners are smart enough not to.

Rohan
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Nothing about Branyan excites me. He's a career .234 hitter who had a break out year. Someone is going to vastly overpay for him, looks like the Mariners are smart enough not to.

I didn't realize he had such a low career average. But Crede's career average wasn't pretty either when the Twins picked him up. We can't look at career averages when there's a player who's just finding his groove.

If a bat has pop then it has pop. When looking at free agents, I think it's more important to look at players potential. And I'd say Russel Branyan has a lot.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2009, 02:11 PM
DeRosa Rf TCQ dH

Or

Vlad

or

No...that won't work. In an ideal world I would like to see a guy with a high average and power be our DH (not one of these guys who hits .230 and has a high OBP with lots of HRs), but this is not an ideal world. I wouldn't mind seeing Thome back here.

GAsoxfan
12-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I like Delgado, Nick Johnson (I'm also willing to give up a few HR for the high OBP), or Dye if he can be convinced to DH 85-90% of the time.

Those are my top two choices too. After that, the rest are pretty interchangeable.

oeo
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Try to get another outfielder and move Quentin to DH. Improves our defense, as well, since Quentin won't be in RF.

I don't think Thome is going to be an option, they want someone who can play a defensive position, as well.

Marqhead
12-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I didn't realize he had such a low career average. But Crede's career average wasn't pretty either when the Twins picked him up. We can't look at career averages when there's a player who's just finding his groove.

If a bat has pop then it has pop. When looking at free agents, I think it's more important to look at players potential. And I'd say Russel Branyan has a lot.

He's been in the league for 11 years! 9 different teams! I just don't want us overpaying for him.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM

I'll refrain from commenting further (due to the politics rules here), but if the Sox sign Delgado, I certainly will never root for him, and would consider not attending games as long as he is in uniform. At the very least, I'd certainly consider scaling back the amount of games that I do attend.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
DeRosa Rf TCQ dH

Or

Vlad

or

The last I read, DeRosa is looking for 3/27 in terms of his contract. He is not worth that and we certainly won't offer any where near that amount.

Branyan, however, was having trouble getting a 2nd year from Seattle. Seattle was offering in the neighborhood of 1/3 and Branyan wanted 2/7 or thereabouts. Don't know if that's still the case. (Wish I could remember where I read that.)

soltrain21
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll refrain from commenting further (due to the politics rules here), but if the Sox sign Delgado, I certainly will never root for him, and would consider not attending games as long as he is in uniform. At the very least, I'd certainly consider scaling back the amount of games that I do attend.

Because of differing beliefs when it comes to the anthem? That doesn't bother me. We are all entitled to different views.

DSpivack
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
What about Vlad? I like him or Delgado to DH, assuming they'd be affordable.

Rohan
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM

I remember something about Ken Griffey Jr being told that he had to stand at attention during the National Anthem. I'm not sure if that was Kenny's rule or Ozzie's. But I am pretty sure that Delgado would be held to a similar standard.

FielderJones
12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

I'll offset that by attending extra games if the Sox sign Delgado.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Because of differing beliefs when it comes to the anthem? That doesn't bother me. We are all entitled to different views.

There's no way this conversation leads anywhere that doesn't violate the rules, so I'm not taking the bait here.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM

He's an injury risk and looks like he needs a walker every time he runs. I think I would rather have a Thome or Delgado as I'm pretty sure that Vlad is more or less done.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM

I'll offset it by attending extra Sox games regardless of who they sign! :cool:

Well...assuming I can get tickets!

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Wouldn't the Sox just sign Dye rather than Vlad? Either way, I think the Sox are most likely looking for a LH bat over those options... who knows though?

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Also, if Matsui is "only" getting 1 yr/6.5 mil., I wonder if the Sox thought that was too much for them... doesn't seem like that's a whole lot comparatively.

jej254
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM

And the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a drama series goes to........

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
And the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a drama series goes to........

I guess that was a joke.... the good news is that we won't have to worry about you taking any of the comedy awards.

gr8mexico
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm sure the White Sox wont miss you.
But before making judments on Delgado make sure you read the reasons why he did it.
BTW It wasn't the National Anthem that he didn't stand up for.

Taliesinrk
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm sure the White Sox wont miss you.
But before making judments on Delgado make sure you read the reasons why he did it.
BTW It wasn't the National Anthem that he didn't stand up for.

I didn't mean to imply that it was.

12-15-2009, 03:06 PM

I like this

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
i guess that was a joke.... The good news is that we won't have to worry about you taking any of the comedy awards.

boom! Roasted!

hi im skot
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/7132/941601-874903_justyouropinion_super_super.jpg

soxfan43
12-15-2009, 07:38 PM

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Delgado reject a trade here in 03 or 04 after Frank got hurt?

NLaloosh
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Delgado reject a trade here in 03 or 04 after Frank got hurt?

Yes, I think you are misremembering right.

soltrain21
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Who cares? Peavy did that once, too.

russ99
12-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Overall I feel much better about the Sox lineup with Pierre at the top.

In a pinch, Jones/Kotsay can platoon at DH, but I doubt Kenny's done.

He should take his time, since he can probably bring in someone decent to add to the mix for 1-2M tops in mid-January.

Unless, of course, Dunn is available. :D:

seasontickets
12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't see any better option than Big Jimmy, for better or worse.

tm1119
12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
How bad of an idea would it be to sign another hitter along the lines of Crisp or Winn? I know ideally we need more power, but I feel like a lot of the options being discussed in this thread are pretty bad. No sense in bringing in a bad hitter just because he may be able to hit 30 hrs.

A lineup like this would certainly give us a much improved D, and give Quentin a chance to DH and be healthy for a full season. But would we be able to score enough? What are the possibilities a lineup like this could hit well enough to take us into the playoffs and beyond? Im thinking we could sneak into the playoffs given our weak division, but I doubt we could actually contend for a championship.

Pierre- LF
Beckham- 2B
Quentin- DH
PK- 1B
AJ- C
Rios- RF
Alexei- SS
Teahen- 3B
Crisp- CF

gr8mexico
12-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I think the Sox should really consider trading for Adrian Gonzalez.
They're going to need a 1B after the 2010 season and He provides the LH bat they need.
If the Sox have to trade Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Quentin , Jordan Danks , or Dan Hudson they should pull the trigger.
The Sox could replace Alexei Ramirez with Felipez Lopez

1. Juan Pierre LF
2. Felipe Lopez 2B (Switch Hitter)
3. Carlos Quentin RF
4. Adrian Gonzalez 1B
5. Paul Konerko DH
6. Gordon Beckham SS
7. A.J C
8. Alex Rios CF
9. Mark Teahen 3B

Zisk77
12-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Thinking outside the box, maybe we sign DeRosa and play him in RF. Move TCQ to DH. Then If/when we need more power we can trade for the always avaialable bat at the deadline and probably give up less prospects. Since DeRosa can play almost anywhere you can just move him around the line=up giving off days to people keeping them fresh.

The Aam Dunn lovers should like this as he is likely to be one of these available bats.

jej254
12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Abrey Huff. Its not a popular choice, but he is a lefty with some power. He can also play 3b,1b and rf. I hate to waste a roster spot for someone who cant play in the field like Thome.

Lillian
12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it more likely belongs in this discussion:

This entire issue of a left handed power hitter may not be as important as some of us have assumed. It would be critical if our right handed hitters, especially the power bats, struggled vs. right handed pitching. However that is not the case. Judging by their career stats, Quentin has actually been a more productive hitter versus righties. Konerko and Rios have been pretty much equally effective against right and left handed pitching. Jones has been a better slugger vs. righties, particularly in his most productive years. That is especially important because if the Sox don't acquire a left handed power bat, I suspect that Jones will see a lot more playing time than many think.

Ironically, one of the only potentially good left handed hitters in the lineup has actually struggled vs. right handed pitching. Teahen was a better hitter vs. lefties last year. That just further validates the point that it shouldn't be assumed that a predominantly right handed lineup is going to struggle vs. right handed pitching. and vice versa.

g0g0
12-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying bring Flowers up. :dtroll:

Sargeant79
12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I think with the bench shaping up to be fairly strong, you can probably afford to take a flier on a guy who is more of an injury risk that may come cheaply. I'd be very surprised if Vlad, Delgado, and Thome each cost more than a couple million. If they stay healthy, each of those guys could mash. If they don't, you can rotate the DH spot between Quentin, Pierre, Konerko, Jones, and Kotsay and look for a power bat before the trade deadline.

Of course, I'd be ecstatic if they made a trade for Adrian Gonzalez or Adam Dunn, but I don't think this would be a bad plan B.