PDA

View Full Version : Two 10+ runs in the last three games


raul12
06-11-2002, 09:35 PM
exempting last night's non-showing, maybe the O is starting to wake up again. although someone is going to complain about us having another blow out (thank you maggs and paulie) instead of a nail biter to the wire....

Tavarin
06-11-2002, 09:37 PM
but the game in the middle we scored 1 run. we need more consistency

Jerry_Manuel
06-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
but the game in the middle we scored 1 run. we need more consistency

That's what they do. They'll score 10 runs one day, than 1 or none the next. Happens all the time.

duke of dorwood
06-11-2002, 10:42 PM
1 tomorrow-off Leiter

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by raul12
although someone is going to complain about us having another blow out (thank you maggs and paulie) instead of a nail biter to the wire.... 10-8 is a blowout in your world? Again, until I see this team come back from behind after the sixth inning, I'm just not a believer. Please, convert me!

raul12
06-12-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
10-8 is a blowout in your world? Again, until I see this team come back from behind after the sixth inning, I'm just not a believer. Please, convert me!

i wrote that at 10-6 assuming we'd hold them off...it's not an ass kicking, but it's not a close one either.

this is what confuses me the most about all these posts. some complain that we don't score enough runs for the line-up we have (which i would agree is true for the most part). some complain that our pitching sucks (certain individuals yes, but i think this staff all in all has done quite well especially considering the pitching coach we have.) THEN, others complain about that we can't win close games. for crying out loud, if our offense does what you want it to do, and our pitching does what you want it to do, we'd take every team behind the shed for a good ole' whuppin'. but then i think you'd still have people complaining about we're not winning close games.....even if we were 110-52 at the end of the season.

Dadawg_77
06-12-2002, 08:32 AM
The problem is there are no blowouts in the playoffs. So you need hitters who can come up with key hits, ie Frank last night. Also you need to have the ability to come from behind to take a team in the later stags of the game, like the 2000 Sox. Those are sings of a soild team, while if you win games 12-2 and lose games 4-3 it shows your team is streaky and you won't win 110 games.

raul12
06-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The problem is there are no blowouts in the playoffs. So you need hitters who can come up with key hits, ie Frank last night. Also you need to have the ability to come from behind to take a team in the later stags of the game, like the 2000 Sox. Those are sings of a soild team, while if you win games 12-2 and lose games 4-3 it shows your team is streaky and you won't win 110 games.

very true. but someone would find something to complain about no matter what happened to the sox unless we won the whole thing every year....i'm probably harping on people's propensity to complain about anything re: the white sox, so i'll stop now and leave it at that.

it's hump day....only two more days until i can :gulp: with no repurcussions for work the next day. :D:

HawkDJ
06-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Can we ever give credit to the pitcher?? Good pitching beats good hitting every single day of the year. Maybe when we scored that one run Astacio just beat us. Yes its possible for a pitcher to beat us rather than hitters beating themselves!

Iwritecode
06-12-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Can we ever give credit to the pitcher?? Good pitching beats good hitting every single day of the year. Maybe when we scored that one run Astacio just beat us. Yes its possible for a pitcher to beat us rather than hitters beating themselves!

Not when they are getting beat by either:

A. a pitcher that nobody has ever heard of and is making his major league debut

2. haven't won a game in 5+ years

D. can't beat any other team but the Sox.

This seems to happen way too often.

delben91
06-12-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Not when they are getting beat by either:

A. a pitcher that nobody has ever heard of and is making his major league debut

2. haven't won a game in 5+ years

D. can't beat any other team but the Sox.

This seems to happen way too often.

I think you meant "d. ..." Then again, being IWC, you could just go with binary......or not.

Astacio has been a quality pitcher this year though, he may not fit in these categories, but there's been enough others that do to royally piss me off.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by raul12
....THEN, others complain about that we can't win close games. for crying out loud, if our offense does what you want it to do, and our pitching does what you want it to do, we'd take every team behind the shed for a good ole' whuppin'. but then i think you'd still have people complaining about we're not winning close games.....even if we were 110-52 at the end of the season. For almost the entire season, the Sox only win when they score early and often. They have a terrible record in one run games, and almost never come from behind after the sixth inning. I don't know how to explain it any clearer than that. A championship team finds a way to win when the chips are down. There have been years when I never thought the Sox were out of a game. This year, if they're behind in the latter third of the game, I pretty much know it's over. Believe me, teams that lose most of their one run games and never come from behind don't finish the season 110-52.

Tonight was promising; let's see if they can build on it.