PDA

View Full Version : Cards Offer Holliday 8 Year Deal

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 12:19 AM
8 Years, 16 million per.

That's alot of years. It would be the most lucrative deal in Cardinals history. I wouldn't mind Holliday staying in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/8BDAA64CC99AD8D98625768D00172D31?OpenDocument

gr8mexico
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
That's crazy! He would be 38 years old by then and with no DH spot the Cards are going to regret this one.

chunk
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
That's a long contract, and they better hope it doesn't handcuff them against Pujols.

Also, who in the world are the bidding against? With Boston out I can't imagine there are many teams out there willing to go that high.

BRDSR
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow...the man is a good ball player, but his output is actually down slightly from his 06/07 production with the Rockies. No way I would give him 8 years at that kind of money. I would much rather give him half the years at 1.25x the cost per year. (So roughly $20M/year for four years.)

chisox616
12-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Yep...huh. Don't know what to think of this deal--this will severely cripple them in their search for filling other holes; 3rd base, possibly more pitching (Brad Penny as the third starter? Hmm...) and possibly in their attempts to extend Albert. At the same time, though, this deal is proof to Albert that they intend to compete in 2010 and beyond, as that was a concern of his. There may not be anyone else to compete with for Holliday, but the Cards need him for more than just the offense.

I have faith, though. The Cardinals spend like a middle market team, but they really aren't. There's always trades, too.

russ99
12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
8 Years, 16 million per.

That's alot of years. It would be the most lucrative deal in Cardinals history. I wouldn't mind Holliday staying in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/8BDAA64CC99AD8D98625768D00172D31?OpenDocument

I'd be willing to bet Boras turns it down...

He has zero interest in having his big-name clients in small to mid-market cities.

JorgeFabregas
12-15-2009, 10:10 AM

He has zero interest in having his big-name clients in small to mid-market cities.
He has an interest in getting his percentage on a 128 million dollar contract.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Now I know the Dallas area is larger than St.Louis but A-Rod did sign with Texas.

doublem23
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
How the hell do they plan on keeping Pujols around if Holliday accepts?

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 03:07 PM
How the hell do they plan on keeping Pujols around if Holliday accepts?

That obviously was taken into consideration before making an offer like this. They have some sort of plan. Do you really think they would be choosing Holliday over Pujols?

doublem23
12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
That obviously was taken into consideration before making an offer like this. They have some sort of plan. Do you really think they would be choosing Holliday over Pujols?

Maybe, if they don't think they'll ever be able to keep Pujols in town they need to make sure Holliday is around for some time. :shrug:

DirtySox
12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe, if they don't think they'll ever be able to keep Pujols in town they need to make sure Holliday is around for some time. :shrug:

If anything it's going to aid in them retaining Albert. It has been frequently mentioned that he wants to see the team committed to winning. Holliday+Pujols in a lineup was and is scary. Though if they lock up both Pujols and Holliday at huge rates, you can bet that the rest of the team is going to take a hit in spending.

kobo
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
If they are making this offer to Holliday, what kind of offer are they going to make to Pujols? They could end up with 2 guys making between $40 and $50 million a season if they retain both.

ewokpelts
12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
obviously, they are trying to keep albert.....holiday, RIGHT NOW, is the best protection for prince albert.....

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2009, 08:29 AM
obviously, they are trying to keep albert.....holiday, RIGHT NOW, is the best protection for prince albert.....

But will they have enough money in the budget to keep Albert??

Stay tuned.

ewokpelts
12-24-2009, 01:21 PM
But will they have enough money in the budget to keep Albert??

Stay tuned.he may take less if they ar ecommitted to winning long term

soxfanreggie
12-24-2009, 01:27 PM
he may take less if they ar ecommitted to winning long term

But would he turn down say an 8 year, $152 million deal (roughly $19 million per) to stay with them if he could get offered an A-Rod type amount where he's getting $192 million over the same 8 years (roughly 24 million per)?

They'll have him with Holiday for two seasons. He likely has a long time to decide. The best thing for the Cards might be to negotiate an extension thru 2013 or 2014 that adds on 3 years, $60 million or bumps his pay now thru the extension to say $18 million per season.

infohawk
12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
8 years at $16 million per year really isn't a bad deal for the Cards. With salaries generally rising, that $16 million per year for a player like Holiday won't seem like that much in 4-5 years. At that point they can keep him or trade him since the remaining years at $16 million might appear to be a relative bargain by 2015 or so.

The big risk with this contract is injury.

PalehosePlanet
12-25-2009, 01:21 AM
The Cards strongly deny that they offered eight years. Most believe the offer is five or six years and between 80-100 million.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks swept in and grabbed him.

oeo
12-25-2009, 04:06 AM
The Cards strongly deny that they offered eight years. Most believe the offer is five or six years and between 80-100 million.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks swept in and grabbed him.

I think even the Yankees have to have a limit. They're just under $205 million right now. If they signed Holliday, then even as someone who has been strongly against a cap, I would be for a salary cap. That's just ridiculous and hurts the game.

soxfanreggie
12-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I think even the Yankees have to have a limit. They're just under $205 million right now. If they signed Holliday, then even as someone who has been strongly against a cap, I would be for a salary cap. That's just ridiculous and hurts the game.

It would be extremely funny if they didn't win the World Series then. The Yanks did have a $208 million payroll in 2005 and $209 million in 2008, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them with a $210-215 million payroll in the next few years with some of their top vets coming up in free agency.

They will have a few choices to make after next season, including what to offer Jeter, Rivera, Johnson, Pettitte, and Vazquez. That's about $60 million in payroll they can choose to re-sign or use the dollars elsewhere. I wonder what kind of contract the Yanks will offer Jeter. I'm not sure if he'll get another 10-year deal, but it could easily be 6 years, $120+ million or 8 years, $160+ million, which would be no raise in his yearly pay.

russ99
12-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I still think he's going to the Red Sox. They have the need with Bay gone, and IMO, they're only saying they don't have the money to subvert Boras' games of getting progressive bids from multiple teams to drive the price up.

Boras wouldn't have anything to do with that 2-3 year extension as mentioned in a previous post. This is the marquee FA this offseason, and he's looking for a Teixiera-like deal.

soxfanreggie
12-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Boras wouldn't have anything to do with that 2-3 year extension as mentioned in a previous post. This is the marquee FA this offseason, and he's looking for a Teixiera-like deal.

My extension talk was for Pujols, either to re-write the deal to add more years or add some big $ years to the end of the deal. Adding the years was to better match-up having both Pujols and Holiday together for the considerable future. He might consider the extension if he still has time after for another mega-deal. The re-write was in order to put more money on the next few years and spread out a couple bigger years at the end of the deal.