PDA

View Full Version : Top White Sox Of The Decade

Madvora
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
A friend just sent me this link from the ESPN Chicago website. I'm sure this will generate some discussion.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/gallery/?id=4714365

12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Great list and I think they had them all in the right spot.

roylestillman
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Take out Rowand, insert Crede and I'm fine.

Shoeless_Jeff
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Agreed. Other than that this list is pretty much dead on.

hi im skot
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM

That's the first thing I thought of, too.

You could probably make a case for Valentin, too.

GAsoxfan
12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
That's the first thing I thought of, too.

You could probably make a case for Valentin, too.

I don't think you can.

Madvora
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I think you have that right. Crede was at least here after the WS too. He should be ahead of Rowand.

Sargeant79
12-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I wasn't aware we won the World Series in 2006. Both Konerko's and Jenks's page reference the 2006 postseason.

hi im skot
12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think you can.

He had four solid seasons with the Sox; Jon Garland was fairly pedestrian for much of his time here.

Ultimately, Garland helped lead the Sox to a championship, Valentin did not. I don't disagree with the list, but it's not like it'd be completely unreasonable, either.

beasly213
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Crede needs to be on this list. Rowand should be off it. Other than that its hard to argue with the names on here.

jej254
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Wheres Chris Getz on that list?

Rohan
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Hmm.. What about Esteban Loaiza? I don't know it would be close between him and Crede...
But ultimately Loaiza's two years of stardom with the Sox were far more remarkable than Crede's. I may even put him above Garland.

Rocky Soprano
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree, Crede deserves a spot.
Under Bobby Jenks, anyone else catch the mistake?

Domeshot17
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the list as is. Truth is 10 could be a Crede/Pods/Rowand 3 way tie. Crede was huge for 1 playoff run and a handful months, but was vastly disappointing during the majority of his Sox tenure. Pods had his moments too. The 3 of them are all interchangable IMO.

Jim Shorts
12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree, Crede deserves a spot.
Under Bobby Jenks, anyone else catch the mistake?

2006 postseason with 5 saves.

How did I not remember that year too?

rdwj
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
One more Crede vote - he belongs for sure

Rohan
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
No one else thinks Loaiza deserves a shot? Statistically he's had the best season for a starting pitcher in the last ten years while being with the White Sox.

In 2003 he had 21 wins, a 2.90 era, and an average of 8.23 strike outs per game. He also finished second in Cy Young voting only to Roy Halladay.

He had two all star appearances with the Sox, one as the starter I believe... I know he didn't lead us to a championship, but he was definitely a major part of the puzzle that lead to it. Remember, it was for him that we received Jose Contreras.

Madvora
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
No one else thinks Loaiza deserves a shot? Statistically he's had the best season for a starting pitcher in the last ten years while being with the White Sox.

In 2003 he had 21 wins, a 2.90 era, and an average of 8.23 strike outs per game. He also finished second in Cy Young voting only to Roy Halladay.

He had two all star appearances with the Sox, one as the starter I believe... I know he didn't lead us to a championship, but he was definitely a major part of the puzzle that lead to it. Remember, it was for him that we received Jose Contreras.
Agreed, he had an impact, but you're talking about bumping somebody who was actually on that World Series team. The only guy on this list who wasn't there in 2005 is Ordonez.

moochpuppy
12-14-2009, 04:04 PM

I think the fact that Loaiza only spent a season and a half with the team during the decade is the main reason.

Also, here is another vote for Crede over Rowand.

slavko
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
And we all thought Jenks was fat then. Look at that picture.

Jpgr91
12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I do not understand everyone's love for Joe Crede. Did everyone forget the long stretches where he had one of the longest swings in the MLB? The emotional attachment that Sox fans have to Crede reminds me a lot of Cubs fans emotional attachment to Kerry Wood. In his time with the Sox, I am pretty sure that Rowand had a higher OPS, OBP, and BA than Crede.

chisoxfanatic
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I do not understand everyone's love for Joe Crede. Did everyone forget the long stretches where he had one of the longest swings in the MLB? The emotional attachment that Sox fans have to Crede reminds me a lot of Cubs fans emotional attachment to Kerry Wood. In his time with the Sox, I am pretty sure that Rowand had a higher OPS, OBP, and BA than Crede.
Crede did not get hurt every season like Wood did. I also think people are so loving of Joe Crede because of his defense. Though not quite Robin Ventura, he has to be one of the better defensive 3rd basemen the Sox have seen. He also had a knack for hitting in some clutch moments.

JB98
12-14-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the fact that Loaiza only spent a season and a half with the team during the decade is the main reason.

Also, here is another vote for Crede over Rowand.

Exactly, and while Loaiza was brilliant in 2003, his selection to the All-Star Game in 2004 was a real head-scratcher.

Esteban was a one-year wonder.

Woofer
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Nice article. I would agree with some on here that Crede deserves to be on the list. I would like to add that Big Frank should be lower down the list. He was hurt for much of the last 5 years with the team, though he belongs on it somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

SoxNation05
12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I think Maggs has put forth a better contribution then AJ.

JB98
12-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Crede played here for a longer period than Rowand, who was only a full-time starter for two years.

A good case could be made that Crede should have been the MVP of the 2005 ALCS. His playoff performance alone - both offensively and defensively - should put him among the top 10 for this decade.

soxinem1
12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Hmm.. What about Esteban Loaiza? I don't know it would be close between him and Crede...
But ultimately Loaiza's two years of stardom with the Sox were far more remarkable than Crede's. I may even put him above Garland.

That is one year of stardom. He was a low-velocity BP pitcher much of 2004.

OTOH, he brought Contreras here for a solid 12-month display.

I'm not sure how they make out so high on Maggs, especially when they note that even though he was hurt in 2004, that he produced great numbers the first 'five' years of the decade. Just how did he do that?

I think Garland was over-rated per say, but honestly, who else was there?

Valentin should have made the list. And so should have Crede.

Bbut above all, a solid piece of analysis by ESPN...... For a change.

Dibbs
12-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I am perfectly fine with no Crede on the list. He is the most overrated White Sox player I can think of. Thome could take that number 10 spot too in my opinion.

Tragg
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
What about C Lee?
He played 5 years of the decade and had 136 homers and lots of RBIs.
I know he didn't play in 2005, but he was an impact player, as his subsequent contract indicated.

Frater Perdurabo
12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
I can't really argue much with the selections, but I would rather have seen an all-decade (2000-2009) team assembled, in which all the positions are fielded by players who can play those positions, includes versatile and well-rounded bench, has starting pitchers in the rotation, and puts relievers in the bullpen.

Here's how mine would break down:
CF Pods (I know my defense takes a hit, but I want him leading off)
2B Durham
LF Ordonez
DH Thome/Frank
RF Dye
1B Paulie
C AJ
3B Crede
SS Uribe

Bench: Frank/Thome, Valentin, Rowand, Olivo

Rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Contreras, Baldwin
Bullpen: Jenks, Foulke, Thornton, Gordon, Lowe, Marte, Howry

doublem23
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
What about C Lee?
I know he didn't play in 2005, but he was an impact player, as his subsequent contract indicated.

Lee's best contribution to the team was dogging it like the lazy bum he is so Ozzie could run him out of town for Pods.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Really good list. The tail end of it could go either way with a bunch of players not on it... but I can't really DISAGREE.

The top 5 are great. Same order I would use.

hi im skot
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I am perfectly fine with no Crede on the list. He is the most overrated White Sox player I can think of. Thome could take that number 10 spot too in my opinion.

Think harder.

chisoxfanatic
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
What about C Lee?
As much as I adored El Caballo (he was my favorite player on the team for a few years), he was horrible defensively.

ode to veeck
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
What, no Brian Anderson?!

Seriously though, I'd take Crede over Rowand for the Series MVP he deserved but didn't get as well as more time in here over the decade.

Loaiza was a one year flash in the pan, nothing more

One of the most incredible performances of the decade has to be El Duque not allowing a run in the ALDS clincher, coming in with sacks loaded of Red Sox no one out and shaking everything off but breaking ball after breaking ball on last batter Johnny Damon before getting him to swing on a full count pitch way out of the strike zone to end it. No one had ever not allowed at least one run in that situation in a playoff game in the history of MLB.

samurai_sox
12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Beckham will be No. 1 on the next list in ten years. :cool:

Bobby Thigpen
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Players for consideration and who they should sub for- Loazia for Garland and Crede, Lee and Ordonez for Rowand.

On a side note- could they have any more perfectly written that Rowand commentary to cater more toward the Rowand lovers than that?

sullythered
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Why do they say Garland is "anonymous to many Sox fans?"

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 10:58 PM
What about C Lee?

I say Carlos Lee should be here too. Rowand should not.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Lee's best contribution to the team was dogging it like the lazy bum he is so Ozzie could run him out of town for Pods.

I'd take Caballo right now on our squad in a heart beat.

thomas35forever
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
It's a good list, though I agree that Crede should be on there. To be honest, I'm a little surprised Frank even made that list, but he had a few good seasons here this decade, so I guess he's deserving.

Tragg
12-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Yea well Podsednik brought a dynamic we needed and losing lee freed up some cash to plug holes (and then some).
But the Sox have also paid a heavy price for Guillen's subsequent ridiculous talent evaluations along the lines of Pods is a better hitter than Lee.....

NardiWasHere
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Why do they say Garland is "anonymous to many Sox fans?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't even notice that.