PDA

View Full Version : Wang non-tendered

palehozenychicty
12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I know that we signed Freddy and have Hudson ready, but he has won a lot of games when kept upright. Thoughts?

linkee (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10517006/Wang-free-agent-after-Yanks-fail-to-offer-contract)

oeo
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
We have bigger needs, namely an offense.

JB98
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
We have bigger needs, namely an offense.

Agreed. I'm comfortable with the rotation. I'm not so comfortable about our OF and DH situations.

soxinem1
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
We should get a new Baseball Discussions category called:

'Should the White Sox Go After The Latest Released Player?'

DirtySox
12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
He will want more than pocket change. There are other more pressing needs with supposedly limited available funds.

SoxNation05
12-14-2009, 01:51 AM
YES. Sinkerballer and I am not confident that both Garcia is a steady starter and Peavy stays healthy.

Pablo_Honey
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
YES. Sinkerballer and I am not confident that both Garcia is a steady starter and Peavy stays healthy.
Jeff Marquez is a sinkerballer who played for the Yankees too. I'm just sayin'.

delben91
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Jeff Marquez is a sinkerballer who played for the Yankees too. I'm just sayin'.

Yes, and the accomplishments Marquez has at the Major League level certainly outshine those of Wang.

Pablo_Honey
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, and the accomplishments Marquez has at the Major League level certainly outshine those of Wang.
I'd be an idiot if I didn't want Wang's numbers pre-2008 on the Sox, but this guy's had on-and-off nagging injuries since his minor league days, his only fully healthy season being 2006. After a season-ending foot injury in 2008, he has been nothing but injury-prone and ineffective. The guy was getting smacked around left and right and so far he's had issues on his right hamstring, right foot, both hips and most recently right shoulder. I'm more confident in Freddy's health because he's had time to recover from his shoulder injury and he performed well in limited playing time. The reason I brought up Marquez was to point out that sinker does not equal success, which was more of a poor attempt at mocking Kenny for thinking Marquez = Garland simply because Marquez throws a sinker too.

soxfanreggie
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
If we had a lot more money to spend, of course I would love to upgrade the starting pitching even more. However, I look at our leadoff batter/OF situation that should be addressed first, along with potentially adding another power bat into the line-up. I would love Andruw Jones to have a very good season where he earns all of his $1 million in performance incentives, but I know that we have much more pressing needs than adding Wang to the rotation.

jabrch
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
The reason I brought up Marquez was to point out that sinker does not equal success, which was more of a poor attempt at mocking Kenny for thinking Marquez = Garland simply because Marquez throws a sinker too.

Definitely a poor attempt.

I assume you don't believe that KW's logic was....

Garland:Sinker:Good
Marquez:Sinker:MUST BE GOOD

I'm sure there was much more scouting and analysis than that.

Right or wrong - it is never as simple as Player A does X...Player B also does X, so Player A = Player B. That's overly simplisitic for today's game.