PDA

View Full Version : Outfield?

LITTLE NELL
12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
If the season started today who is our rightfielder? I'm slotting TCQ for LF and Rios for CF, that leaves RF a question mark. I really like Kotsay but as a 4th outfielder, not as a starter.

russ99
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
If the season started today who is our rightfielder? I'm slotting TCQ for LF and Rios for CF, that leaves RF a question mark. I really like Kotsay but as a 4th outfielder, not as a starter.

At this point it's Kotsay or Andruw Jones, with an outside shot on Teahen if Vizquel plays 3B, but I can't see any chance of it staying that way until February 20th.

DonnieDarko
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Sadly, I think all we got to rely upon in that situation is Jordan Danks. IMHO, he's at least another year away from The Show, nowhere near ready.

BleacherBandit
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm hoping they can get someone cheap and effective. Perhaps free-agency isn't the pool they can draw from in that situation. Juan Pierre would be a fantastic backup outfielder, but everyone is concerned with his fielding although he is very consistent with the bat.

The free-agent pool is kinda up-there, although inticing. Bay or Matsui would be a dream come true. I've heard about Matsui coming to the Sox (somehow) :rolleyes:, but obviously Bay is out of Kenny's price range.

russ99
12-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Sadly, I think all we got to rely upon in that situation is Jordan Danks. IMHO, he's at least another year away from The Show, nowhere near ready.

If Danks wins the job in spring training outright, I'd love to see him in LF. But we shoudn't count on him until midseason at best.

LITTLE NELL
12-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Is Coco Crisp still on the Sox radar? Crisp in CF and Rios in RF would not be bad. He would fill the need for a leadoff guy too.

DumpJerry
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I thought this thread was about Gordo's favorite band......

BTW, TCQ is in RF this coming season.

Metalthrasher442
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I thought this thread was about Gordo's favorite band......

BTW, TCQ is in RF this coming season.

Yes and there's no way Kenny will sit back and not find anyone to play left field. One of the reasons TCQ moved to right was to help open up the left field possibilities Kenny could get via trade etc. Worst comes to worst it will be Andruw Jones. Which he could possibly turn out some decent numbers.

Daver
12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Sign Brian Anderson.

thedudeabides
12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Sign Brian Anderson.

Or a real major league baseball player. Are you serious or just miss the old Brian Anderson debates? I guess we could officially shoot for the worst offense in baseball.

DickAllen72
12-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Right now I'd say De Aza.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Or a real major league baseball player. Are you serious or just miss the old Brian Anderson debates? I guess we could officially shoot for the worst offense in baseball.
At least our defense wouldn't be as terrible.

Redus Redux
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Maybe I'm the only one saying it, but if it saves you the money to get a Matsui, I'm perfectly fine with Kotsay facing righties as a starting OF. Jones can platoon.

Kotsay vs. righties the last two years...

2008: .288/.345/.432
2009: .290/.347/.419

This is decent considering how his time with Boston has generally been seen as a career lowpoint.

Plus, I personally dont think they wouldve brought Jones here to be a 5th OF. Even considering his small salary. Just b/c that's a veteran and you dont want to promise him things and burn bridges if he's not going to be given a real chance at anything.

thedudeabides
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM

That's one way to look at it. But, we don't play in Petco or AT&T. This is the american league and we play in a small ballpark. Brian Anderson as our starting right fielder would be a joke. I can't even believe this was brought up. The current bench configuration as a platoon is a much better idea.

getonbckthr
12-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I truly think KW knows Pierre is there whenever he wants to move on it. He just wants to try other things first.

oeo
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
If Danks wins the job in spring training outright, I'd love to see him in LF. But we shoudn't count on him until midseason at best.

Why would you put him in LF? Your best defensive outfield would be Quentin-Danks-Rios, not Danks-Rios-Quentin.

Danks would not be the first option if nothing else changed. Probably a platoon of Jones and Kotsay, as already mentioned.

oeo
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Sign Brian Anderson.

It sure was nice when Anderson was in a different organization.

PalehosePlanet
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

If we do go the defensive route, then why not Ryan Church? He's a very good RF'er and can at least hit a little bit.

I'm not crazy about him but he would make a lot more sense than BA.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
If we do go the defensive route, then why not Ryan Church? He's a very good RF'er and can at least hit a little bit.

I'm not crazy about him but he would make a lot more sense than BA.
I'm all for that. A guy like Church being available makes the Kotsay re-signing seem puzzling.

jabrch
12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Sign Brian Anderson.

Cute

Zisk77
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm all for that. A guy like Church being available makes the Kotsay re-signing seem puzzling.

Well for one, Church wasn't available when we signed Kotsay. Also, Ozzie lobbied for Kotsay as a team leaer and versatile player. So, not surprising at all.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Well for one, Church wasn't available when we signed Kotsay. Also, Ozzie lobbied for Kotsay as a team leaer and versatile player. So, not surprising at all.
No, not surprising, puzzling. Guys like Church are available year in and year out, and I wish the Sox would have waited until after the non-tender deadline before inking their 4th/5th OF.

getonbckthr
12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
What kind of contract is Mike Cameron gonna get?

Daver
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
What kind of contract is Mike Cameron gonna get?

A baseball one.

getonbckthr
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
A baseball one.
When are you gonna get a gig in Vegas?

Daver
12-13-2009, 05:37 PM
When are you gonna get a gig in Vegas?

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

cards press box
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
If the season started today who is our rightfielder?

The key to this question is its predicate. That is, the season doesn't start today. It starts in about four months. In that time, the Sox will add an outfielder and a DH who will likely be an outfielder. My best guess on their identities: (1) the outfielder will be a fast baserunner to bat leadoff, most likely Scott Podsednik, Coco Crisp or Juan Pierre and (2) the DH will be Hideki Matsui. One more guess (and this actually responds to your question): the Sox starting right fielder in 2010 will be Carlos Quentin.

doublem23
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm guessing if Danks is here to start the season he'll be in CF.

soxinem1
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM
At this point it's Kotsay or Andruw Jones, with an outside shot on Teahen if Vizquel plays 3B, but I can't see any chance of it staying that way until February 20th.

You're kidding, right?:scratch:

I think the odds of BA coming back are better.

Soxaredabest
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/6440859544

Sargeant79
12-13-2009, 08:34 PM
http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/6440859544

Based on the current roster, I'm sure that would be the case. It's December 13th...I fully expect changes before then.

markopat
12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Based on the current roster, I'm sure that would be the case. It's December 13th...I fully expect changes before then.

What a great prognostication!

Funny how a thread like this can turn on a dime! Here we go!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
What a great prognostication!

Funny how a thread like this can turn on a dime! Here we go!

As of today:

LF: Pierre
CF: Rios
RF: Quentin

12-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe...

LF Pierre

CF Danks

RF Rios

DH Quentin

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Maybe...

LF Pierre

CF Danks

RF Rios

DH Quentin

I could see that being the 2011 opening day outfield.

asindc
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe...

LF Pierre

CF Danks

RF Rios

DH Quentin

According to all published reports, Danks is not ready yet. Having Pierre for two years gives the Sox the appropriate amount of time to develop Danks and/or Mitchell.

Frater Perdurabo
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Maybe...

LF Pierre

CF Danks

RF Rios

DH Quentin

I could also see that for 2011. That would be a fantastic defensive OF. At the Cell, very few fly balls would drop for hits.

chisoxfanatic
12-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I think I heard on the B&B show that Ozzie said that he wants TCQ in RF.

tstrike2000
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I think I heard on the B&B show that Ozzie said that he wants TCQ in RF.

Ugh. As much as we all like TCQ, teams are going to be first-n-thirdin' us quite a bit with him in right.

oeo
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Ugh. As much as we all like TCQ, teams are going to be first-n-thirdin' us quite a bit with him in right.

Uh...what did you expect? The moment Pierre was acquired, Quentin was moved to RF for good, unless (I hope) we acquire a center or right fielder.

tstrike2000
12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Uh...what did you expect? The moment Pierre was acquired, Quentin was moved to RF for good, unless (I hope) we acquire a center or right fielder.

This is pretty much what I expected. Just verbalizing the concern really more than anything else. But if they get a more true right fielder, is Quentin going to want to DH?

oeo
12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
This is pretty much what I expected. Just verbalizing the concern really more than anything else. But if they get a more true right fielder, is Quentin going to want to DH?

I don't see why not, it would be beneficial to him. He's not really in a position to shoot it down, anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Quentin has a very strong arm. It's just not precisely accurate all the time.

Lillian
12-17-2009, 06:54 AM
After acquiring both Jones and Pierre it would seem highly unlikely that the Sox would attempt to add any other outfielders. Remember, they also have added Kotsay and De Aza. If that add another offensive player it will likely be a left handed DH/first baseman, and that seems unlikely as well.

That said, if Jones shows up at Spring Training in decent shape he would make a better defensive corner outfielder than Pierre, or Quentin. I'd rather see either Quentin, Rios and Jones with Pierre at DH, or if Quentin has any more problems with his feet, then Pierre in left, Rios in center, and Jones in right.