PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Remind Phil Rogers that Reinsdorf Purchased the White Sox in 1981?

TomBradley72
12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe I'm over reacting, but to make the statement that Reinsdorf gave LaRussa his first MLB manager job in 1979 demonstrates incompetence or lazy reporting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-13-rogers-on-baseball-dec13,0,6958594.column

jabrch
12-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe I'm over reacting, but to make the statement that Reinsdorf gave LaRussa his first MLB manager job in 1979 demonstrates incompetence or lazy reporting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-13-rogers-on-baseball-dec13,0,6958594.column

C) Both A and B

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-14-2009, 08:02 AM

Rogers, Phil (n) - person who demonstrates incompetence or lazy reporting.

I'm sending this to Merriam Webster this morning.

veeter
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I'll pile on. Phil Rogers is a terrible writer, plus he's an *******.

Jim Shorts
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Cowley is sharper than Rogers.

Why does anyone pay any attention at all to Phil Rogers? He's never right.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Rogers is horrible. I wouldn't mind him as much as I do if it weren't for his terrible assessment of prospects. He shouldn't be allowed to write anything about the White Sox farm system let alone be anywhere near Baseball America's White Sox Top 10 list.

tacosalbarojas
12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
This is a fireable offense IMO. He's stealing some good, young journalist's money. What a sham.

SI1020
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Cowley is sharper than Rogers.

Why does anyone pay any attention at all to Phil Rogers? He's never right. Try politely correcting one of Cowley's mistakes and then feel his sarcastic wrath. The fact is this is a daily occurence in the journalistic world. A lack of historical knowledge on name the subject and no competent editing to both save and educate the individual columnist. Not to mention passing on the correct information to his or her readers.

Jim Shorts
12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Try politely correcting one of Cowley's mistakes and then feel his sarcastic wrath. The fact is this is a daily occurence in the journalistic world. A lack of historical knowledge on name the subject and no competent editing to both save and educate the individual columnist. Not to mention passing on the correct information to his or her readers.

I've been busting his balls on Twitter too. During the Winter Meetings Cowley was all over the Trib talking smack.

For a guy who is as wrong as Joe Cowley is, he's sure got an inappropriate arrogance

TDog
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
This is a fireable offense IMO. He's stealing some good, young journalist's money. What a sham.

He may well be stealing some competent journalist's money, but, stripped of additional context, it isn't an offense that justifies firing the reporter. It isn't even close.

Actually, inexperienced journalists are likely to make more mistakes than Cowley ever could, especially if they grew up with the Internet. Young journalists also are more likely to find work than experienced unemployed journalists displaced by an industry that is dying because people don't demand quality journalism anymore, no matter the medium -- the market being best for media that provides what people want to hear as opposed to what they need to know. You don't have to pay young journalists as much.

Of course, sportswriting has nothing to do with journalism, so the point is moot.

tebman
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I sent Rogers an e-mail yesterday as soon as I read that. I mean, come on! He's the baseball writer, for cryin' out loud! How could he not know something like that?

If I get a response I'll let you all know. Not holding my breath.

tacosalbarojas
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
He may well be stealing some competent journalist's money, but, stripped of additional context, it isn't an offense that justifies firing the reporter. It isn't even close.

Actually, inexperienced journalists are likely to make more mistakes than Cowley ever could, especially if they grew up with the Internet. Young journalists also are more likely to find work than experienced unemployed journalists displaced by an industry that is dying because people don't demand quality journalism anymore, no matter the medium -- the market being best for media that provides what people want to hear as opposed to what they need to know. You don't have to pay young journalists as much.

Of course, sportswriting has nothing to do with journalism, so the point is moot.Consider it moot.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I consider the point "moo." Which as Joey said was the point of view of a cow.

:tongue:

Lip