PDA

View Full Version : It's a throw to 1st

Paulwny
06-11-2002, 08:17 PM
I'm watching the game on MSG, mets station.
Mets runner on 1st, the announcer talking to the younger fans, you'll notice that either Valentin or Durham will put their glove to their face and let the other one know who is covering 2nd if there is a steal. On split screen , no glove goes to the face and Valentin and Durham look at each other, then there is a throw to 1st.
Just prior to Richie's throwing error to first the same thing happens. Neither Valentin nor Durham puts up a glove. Mets' announcer, "Well it's pretty obvious, when Valentin and Durham don't hold up a glove, there will be a throw to 1st."
Are we this god damn lazy or just plain stupid, when a tv announcer knows when there will be a throw to 1st ?

Mathew
06-13-2002, 03:54 AM
I used to be delibrately obvios at 2B and have us throw over 5 or 6 times than swich to the second set in hopes of picking him, I didn't see the game so I don't know but I assume it's not so easy.

Paulwny
06-13-2002, 05:30 AM
Since Durham and Valentin saw Johnson give the throw to 1st sign neither gave a sign to cover second. They did signal each other when a pitch was to be delivered to the plate. I'm sure the met's coaches spotted this, it gives an advantage to a base runner when he knows if there will be a throw to 1st or if it's going home.