PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Flowers 2010

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm wondering how many think that the Sox will go with Tyler Flowers as the backup to A.J. out of spring training or will they bring in another veteran to back him up?

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-11-2009, 07:30 PM
He better be at AAA. He needs to continuous work behind the plate to refine those skills. If he's going to take over for AJ full time in the future, he has things to work on everyday, not part time on our bench.

I believe Mike Redmond's name is floating around as a back up.

There's always Chris Widger!

Rdy2PlayBall
12-11-2009, 07:30 PM
No. I think they might get a "veteran" who isn't that good. Or at least anymore. Then eventually bring Flowers up. Flowers got a little bit of experience last year, so I'm guessing he knows what he should be working on to play at the major league level. I'm excited to see him come up, but he doesn't/didn't seem as ready as Beckham.

Boondock Saint
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
When he does come to the majors, it should be as a full-time player. Sitting him on the bench five days a week isn't doing him any good.

DirtySox
12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Nope. He should be playing everyday. He needs to continue working on his D, as well as his K rate.

KRS1
12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I'll just stand by my previous stance. If he's going to get ABs every day in the bigs between DH and C (don't bother Daver, I've already heard it) fine, if not, send him down. I'd much rather sign Olivo and keep Tyler in Charlotte, but he'll probably get a strters job/money elsewhere so it's just a pipe dream.

WhiteSox5187
12-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I sure as hell hope not but we have a tendency to rush and mistreat prospects.

rdwj
12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Nope. He should be playing everyday. He needs to continue working on his D, as well as his K rate.
ditto - no way it happens

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Although I would like to see him make an impact immediately, I think that it is going to take some time for him to develop. Don't rush him up, that alone could cause problems.

Pablo_Honey
12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
If he's up here with the big club, he better be startin', otherwise you are wasting his time that could spend in the minors fine-tuning his game while getting regular playing time. Either go with Armstrong, or Lucy if he's still around, as an in-house option for backup C, or sign a veteran like Blanco.

NLaloosh
12-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't think he will be to start the season but I wouldn't be surprised to see him after the ASB if he plays well in Charlotte.

I know Ozzie mentioned Redmond but he seems like he's over the hill. 39 now and last year he couldn't throw out runners at all and didn't hit either. I'd hope we go with someone else.

soxinem1
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
He better be at AAA. He needs to continuous work behind the plate to refine those skills. If he's going to take over for AJ full time in the future, he has things to work on everyday, not part time on our bench.

I believe Mike Redmond's name is floating around as a back up.

There's always Chris Widger!

Ditto. He needs to lay every day, and that is not here.

And along with Redmond, Josh Bard and Jose Molina are good picks too.

I don't think he will be to start the season but I wouldn't be surprised to see him after the ASB if he plays well in Charlotte.

I know Ozzie mentioned Redmond but he seems like he's over the hill. 39 now and last year he couldn't throw out runners at all and didn't hit either. I'd hope we go with someone else.

Sounds exactly like his predecessors the past five years. He'll fit in perfectly!!:smile:

BadBobbyJenks
12-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I think he will be here and it seems Kenny has alluded to this as well.

Mohoney
12-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Just pay a backup catcher and keep Flowers at AAA.

Eat half the contract and get Linebrink's ass out of town already. There has to be a backup somewhere that you can get for less than $5 million over 2 years.

Just call Linebrink a sunk cost, take the saved money, and invest it into grooming one of the only legitimate prospects we have.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
If he hasn't signed elsewhere already, I would most like to sign Miguel Olivo for the backup role. That, plus signing a LH hitter for DH/corner OF/1B would send a message that the Sox are truly serious about contending.

Flowers should be in AAA for 2010. I predict that's where he will be.

Daver
12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
If he hasn't signed elsewhere already, I would most like to sign Miguel Olivo for the backup role. That, plus signing a LH hitter for DH/corner OF/1B would send a message that the Sox are truly serious about contending.

Flowers should be in AAA for 2010. I predict that's where he will be.

What makes you so sure that the team wants Miguel back?

For a team to trade their starting catcher during the season speaks volumes of how the coaching staff feels about him.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
What makes you so sure that the team wants Miguel back?

For a team to trade their starting catcher during the season speaks volumes of how the coaching staff feels about him.

I'm sure you're right, and it won't happen.

Isn't it possible that the primary motivator for that deal was getting Freddy Garcia, and the Mariners wanted Olivo in return?

And moreover, this would be for a backup role, not the starting job.

Still, I know it's not going to happen.

doublem23
12-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm slightly intrigued by the possibility of Flowers as the DH in 2010, but not enough that I'd risk the entire season on it.

tm1119
12-16-2009, 11:03 PM
The only positive that I see about Flowers being on the roster is that he could possibly kill 2 birds with 1 stone, in that he could DH some games and also be the back-up catcher on other days. Having him and AJ in the lineup at the same time could be a little risky though. Not sure it makes enough sense to do it though.
I will say that I do think Flowers is just about as ready as he will ever be offensively, its his ability to stay behind the plate consistently is the biggest question. I think that management needs to figure out whether or not he is our catcher of the future or not. And if hes not then he should be traded immediately while he still has value as a catcher. Hes going to be 24 next season hes not really a some young kid anymore.

russ99
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
No one's taking Linebrink off our hands, without a Pierre-like cash payout (which Kenny rarely does) and he might bounce back, so we should stop speculating.

Armstrong is a better idea at backup catcher than Flowers at this point if we don't go the FA route.

Waysouthsider
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm worried they'll bring him up too soon.....I'd like to see him play every day at Charlotte...

I'd like to see him play in the bigs, but I think his swing needs some work with all of those strikeouts...his defense has really come along though.

Craig Grebeck
12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
We're stuck with Linebrink and there's no use paying another team to play him. Just pitch him in low leverage situations and deal with it.

Flight #24
12-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm slightly intrigued by the possibility of Flowers as the DH in 2010, but not enough that I'd risk the entire season on it.

That's my bet. Flowers DHs 2-3 games/week, catches another game/week to give AJ a rest and the Jones/Kotsay platoon picks up the other DH slots (either by DHing or giving Konerko/Quentin a day at DH and playing the field).