PDA

View Full Version : KW: Jenks still the closer

Rockabilly
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/ken-williams-bobby-jenks-still-the-closer-jj-putz-has-no-restrictions-whatsoever-dj-carrasco-could-b.html

DirtySox
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't see anything in that article saying he won't be traded. All it says is Bobby is the closer right now. Things can change, and with KW they often do. I think the possibility of him being moved is still out there.

For the record, I hope Jenks remains, as his trade value is pretty bad.

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
While I am glad to see that Bobby will be back for one more year, my worry is that Kenny is saying there is only one more move left. .

Where do you even come up with this?

PalehosePlanet
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
While I am glad to see that Bobby will be back for one more year, my worry is that Kenny is saying there is only one more move left. When we have two holes at DH and outfield. I can see a platoon at OF maybe but at DH we have nothing right now sort of a bunch of backups and or unproven rookies.

I don't know, I took that last paragraph of the article to mean that even if we had a lead-off hitter and a left handed bat (meaning 2 players?) that Kenny is under the impression that a team always needs to be thinking in terms of getting better.

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Why trade Jenks to make the closer a guy who has not played a full season since 2007?:scratch:

BTW, KW does not say Jenks will not be traded. He says he is the closer for now.

Just like Ozzie said Billy Koch was his closer in 2004, and Williams said BA would hit 25HR's as a regular, but never saw to it to give him the opportunity.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Why trade Jenks to make the closer a guy who has not played a full season since 2007?:scratch:

BTW, KW does not say Jenks will not be traded. He says he is the closer for now.

Just like Ozzie said Billy Koch was his closer in 2004, and Williams said BA would hit 25HR's as a regular, but never saw to it to give him the opportunity.
They could give the job to Matt.

Rockabilly
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
if Putz is healthy and we hold on to Jenks. The Sox might have the best pen in all of baseball

Noneck
12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I am thinking that Putz signed with the Sox with a verbal agreement that he will get the opportunity to have a chance to close. That's why the 3m incentive is there. If he knows he is going to be behind both Jenks and Thornton, what chance does he have to gain that incentive?

The large incentive to finish and the small incentive for appearances makes me believe that Jenks wont be around.

TDog
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't know, I took that last paragraph of the article to mean that even if we had a lead-off hitter and a left handed bat (meaning 2 players?) that Kenny is under the impression that a team always needs to be thinking in terms of getting better.

No matter what you do, you're always one move away from being a better team. Williams was stating a truism about building a baseball team. Williams brought in Griffey and Rios late in each of the last two seasons, although the moves didn't really help (at least in those seasons).

I never believed the White Sox were hot to trade Jenks. I have no idea why some members of the media and WSI were so hot for the White Sox to trade Jenks, a quality reliever, while noting a need to improve the bullpen. The statements here don't amount to an unequivocal statement that Jenks won't be traded, but at the same time, there is nothing in the statement to imply that Jens could be traded.

I don't know if Putz will be successful with the White Sox. Relievers have inconsistent careers. Relievers who move to a new team sometimes flourish and sometimes struggle. But I think signing Putz was a good move. I hope that with the pitchers Guillen has available with game-closing experience, he is able to go to Thornton and Putz when Jenks is overworked or when matchups favor one of the other two.

VMSNS
12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know if Putz will be successful with the White Sox. Relievers have inconsistent careers. Relievers who move to a new team sometimes flourish and sometimes struggle. But I think signing Putz was a good move. I hope that with the pitchers Guillen has available with game-closing experience, he is able to go to Thornton and Putz when Jenks is overworked or when matchups favor one of the other two.

True, especially considering Kenny and Ozzie's obsession about making the team more versatile.

cws05champ
12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Signing Putz is great and all, but we just don't know how healthy and effective he will be. Add in that you are losing one of the more reliable arms in Carrasco, I'm not sure we're that much better.

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
It still makes sense to me to sign Carrasco for a year. Whatever he makes.... $ 1 mil. or even $ 2 mil.

They can always trade him or Jenks or Pena or Linebrink later if they are lucky enough to be stuck with 6 good RH relief pitchers.

That would be a problem every team would love to have.

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
if Putz is healthy and we hold on to Jenks. The Sox might have the best pen in all of baseball

We need a better 'first LHRP out of the pen' option than Williams first.

It still makes sense to me to sign Carrasco for a year. Whatever he makes.... $ 1 mil. or even $ 2 mil.

They can always trade him or Jenks or Pena or Linebrink later if they are lucky enough to be stuck with 6 good RH relief pitchers.

That would be a problem every team would love to have.

Maybe so, but $2 million for a journeyman who cannot close, set up, or start is a lot considering the guys with better records and stuff that will be out there begging for jobs soon for less.

Don't be too sure about trading Linebrink. One, he can bounce back, and two, he has a pretty big paycheck this year if he does well or not.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
No matter what you do, you're always one move away from being a better team. Williams was stating a truism about building a baseball team. Williams brought in Griffey and Rios late in each of the last two seasons, although the moves didn't really help (at least in those seasons).

I never believed the White Sox were hot to trade Jenks. I have no idea why some members of the media and WSI were so hot for the White Sox to trade Jenks, a quality reliever, while noting a need to improve the bullpen. The statements here don't amount to an unequivocal statement that Jenks won't be traded, but at the same time, there is nothing in the statement to imply that Jens could be traded.

A trade involving Jenks would give the White Sox some (supposedly, if you listen to KW) much needed salary relief while allowing them to strengthen the team as a whole. As of today, the starting lineup looks mediocre both defensively and offensively, and the extra room for salary would allow for them to make a move without crippling the finances. Also, Jenks' production is anything but irreplaceable. He's been alright, but at the end of the day he's nothing special and not deserving of what he'll be awarded in arbitration.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
We need a better 'first LHRP out of the pen' option than Williams first.

Maybe so, but $2 million for a journeyman who cannot close, set up, or start is a lot considering the guys with better records and stuff that will be out there begging for jobs soon for less.

Don't be too sure about trading Linebrink. One, he can bounce back, and two, he has a pretty big paycheck this year if he does well or not.
Liney also has a full NTC. Brilliant move Kenny!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM

I disagree with half of the bolded part...Griffey had a huge part in winning us the division; he saved our bacon in the Blackout game when he gunned out Cuddyer (was it Cuddyer?) at the plate. If that run scores, who knows what happens.

Sure, he wasn't the Griffey he was in the mid-late 90s (and was never expected to be), but that one game made the rest of his below-average tenure worth it.

The rest of your post is solid gold, though.

soltrain21
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I disagree with half of the bolded part...Griffey had a huge part in winning us the division; he saved our bacon in the Blackout game when he gunned out Cuddyer (was it Cuddyer?) at the plate. If that run scores, who knows what happens.

Sure, he wasn't the Griffey he was in the mid-late 90s (and was never expected to be), but that one game made the rest of his below-average tenure worth it.

The rest of your post is solid gold, though.

That isn't a very fair point. If he plays better when he gets here and doesn't swing with a wet newspaper than we possibly win the division going away.

It's like being happy with John Paxson because the Bulls got Rose.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 04:56 PM
If Jenks is not the closer than who is???

And if he is not the closer, then in what role would you use him. I just don't see him having a role other than the one that he already has.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
If Jenks is not the closer than who is???

And if he is not the closer, then in what role would you use him. I just don't see him having a role other than the one that he already has.
If he's not the closer then he's a RH set-up guy. It's quite simple really.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
If he's not the closer then he's a RH set-up guy. It's quite simple really.

That might be Linebrinks job.

TDog
12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
That isn't a very fair point. If he plays better when he gets here and doesn't swing with a wet newspaper than we possibly win the division going away. ...

That was what I was thinking when I typed the statement. If Griffey had helped the team, there wouldn't have been a Game 163.

Of course, it is an unimportant point and purely hypothetical. There was a Game 163, one of the greatest games in the history of the franchise, considering the stakes, the tension and how well it was played. If Griffey had played better, there may not have been a Game 163, and we wouldn't have the memory of that one great game.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I think he should be!

Putz seems like a replacement for Dotel... and a better one at that. He just needs to stay healthy. It's not really an issue, but it has been the past few year. I'm sure he can rebound with the sugury and good doctor reports.

I am sure Janks just had a down year, we might be saying sorry to Jenks later next year when he is his usual self. I wish he could be either fat-good or healthy-good... I don't like the inbetween chubby-decent.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-11-2009, 06:39 PM
That was what I was thinking when I typed the statement. If Griffey had helped the team, there wouldn't have been a Game 163.

Of course, it is an unimportant point and purely hypothetical. There was a Game 163, one of the greatest games in the history of the franchise, considering the stakes, the tension and how well it was played. If Griffey had played better, there may not have been a Game 163, and we wouldn't have the memory of that one great game.

Meh, I concede. :tiphat:

Anyway, we have three high-quality relievers now that we can turn to. If we can use Cooper's magic arm to turn Pena and Linebrink to serviceable relievers, I'd say we have ourselves quite the pitching staff, back to front.

Mohoney
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Not with red-faced Scott Linebrink in it.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Not with red-faced Scott Linebrink in it.If he get's over his issues. We all know he can be one of the best in the pen. Remember how everyone was complaining how much they missed Linebrink back in 08? He's a good pitcher...

tm1119
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
If he get's over his issues. We all know he can be one of the best in the pen. Remember how everyone was complaining how much they missed Linebrink back in 08? He's a good pitcher...

Completely agree. I think Linebrink is getting a little too much hate here. Last season was the worst full season of his career. There is really no reason to think that he wont bounce back. Should he be making 5.5 mil? No. But we just need to live with that.