http://twitter.com/mlbCoz/status/6574642642

1 yr, 3 mil.

munchman33
12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Beat me to it!

Bye Bye Bobby!

dickallen15
Hopefully his arm is healed. If he's healthy, this is a nice pick up.

soltrain21
And now they probably trade Jenks for Gardner. Then possibly sign Matsui.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd hate to see Bobby Jenks go, but if he can get us something in return then I welcome the Matt Thornton or JJ Putz era.

Danielgosox38
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
If we can't get much for Jenks, does anyone else think we should hold on to him? If we can get Gardener for him though, I say trade away...

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
If we can't get much for Jenks, does anyone else think we should hold on to him? If we can get Gardener for him though, I say trade away...

I think so. His contract would be non guaranteed. If he shows up in spring training out of shape not throwing very well, they could always release him.

I wouldn't think Jenks for Gardner would be a good move for the Sox. I really am surprised how much Brett Gardner has improved since news came out KW inquired about his availability. He's a back up OF.

thomas35forever
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Nice. It'll be better than having Gas Can Linebrink in the setup role (apologies to Bob Howry).

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Jenks for Gardner would be pretty terrible, but that may be his value around the league. If so, go get him. Gardner's defense could be valuable on this team.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Nice. It'll be better than having Gas Can Linebrink in the setup role (apologies to Bob Howry).

You do realize Putz was a semi gas can in 2008 and had surgery last year don't you?

Jimmy Piersall
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Wait until his first blown hold or save.WSI then explodes with the
****ing Putz comments.Can't wait for the Gamethreads.

soltrain21
You do realize Putz was a semi gas can in 2008 and had surgery last year don't you?

You must be a blast at parties.

soxfanatlanta
IF he stays healthy, he will be a good pickup.

thomas35forever
12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
IF he stays healthy, he will be a good pickup.
Agreed. If this was the '07 Putz, I'd jump for joy, but we'll see which Putz we get.

eriqjaffe
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
we'll see which Putz we get.Oh, the joke possibilities are endless, yet severely limited.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
1 year $3 million

LoveYourSuit
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
We have Dotel's replacement, I am glad we made a move to address this.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm fine with this move to bolster the middle relief.

Rather than dealing Jenks, I would rather pursue the rumored deal of Linebrink to LAD for Pierre.

esbrechtel
I would hope we would get more the Jenks than just Gardner, if we were planning on trading him...

esbrechtel
i'm fine with this move to bolster the middle relief.

Rather than dealing jenks, i would rather pursue the rumored deal of linebrink to lad for pierre.

+1

cleanwsox
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
His entrance music is Thunderstruck... overkill?

:smile:

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm fine with this move to bolster the middle relief.

Rather than dealing Jenks, I would rather pursue the rumored deal of Linebrink to LAD for Pierre.

I'm with you on this. Keep the bullpen strong to complement the championship caliber starting pitching.

I might even give a call over to Hendry and offer him Linebrink for Bradley and $15 million.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Its a $3 million deal with $3.25 in additional incentives based on games closed. It does appear Bobby Jenks may be headed out of town.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I might even give a call over to Hendry and offer him Linebrink for Bradley and $15 million.

I had a friend suggest this. He argued Bradley possessed some of the same characteristics as Carl Everett: switch hitter, DH who could play corner OF as needed, bat-**** crazy, etc. I am still chewing on the thought.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I had a friend suggest this. He argued Bradley possessed some of the same characteristics as Carl Everett: switch hitter, DH who could play corner OF as needed, bat-**** crazy, etc. I am still chewing on the thought.

When it comes to knuckleheads, Everett isn't in Bradley's league. Its not even close.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I had a friend suggest this. He argued Bradley possessed some of the same characteristics as Carl Everett: switch hitter, DH who could play corner OF as needed, bat-**** crazy, etc. I am still chewing on the thought.No Bradley for me, thank you very much.

jsg-07
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Its a $3 million deal with $3.25 in additional incentives based on games closed. It does appear Bobby Jenks may be headed out of town.

Interesting. Where did you hear the terms of this deal?

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Interesting. Where did you hear the terms of this deal?
Its on the Tribune website.

jsg-07
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Its on the Tribune website.

Thanks

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
No Bradley for me, thank you very much.

If only there were a way to let him take batting practice, DH during games, and then put him in stasis in a dark cellar for the other 20 hours of the day.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-11-2009, 02:24 PM

It'll confuse those in the stands who aren't paying attention. :tongue:

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
According to Rosenthal its a $3 million base, $3 million in games finished incentives and $250k in appearances incentives.

seventyseven
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I would hope we would get more the Jenks than just Gardner, if we were planning on trading him...

There is no way in hell we only get Brett fricking Gardner for Jenks. Insanity.

palehosepub
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Its on the whitesox.com website. I would like to keep both Jenks and Putz and dont see why we cant

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091211&content_id=7798986&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Beat me to it!

Bye Bye Bobby!

Two bad years in a row and now he comes in as a closer?

We'll have to see what role Ozzie Putz him in.

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Keep Jenks and Carrasco and trade Linebrink.

soxfanatlanta
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Now who would be dumb enough to take Linebrink?

Waysouthsider
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM

I wish someone would take him of our hands! Good luck on that one....

There are a lot of closers on the market, I don't know how the Sox get any reasonable value out of Jenks right now....I'd hate to see him go...

KRS1
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I like it, I like it a lot.

All the "deal Bobby" talk doesn't sit well with me at all, though. He may have had a down year in a continuing trend if you stand by the propeller head school of thought, but I haven't given up any hope on him as a top closer. Now if Matt and JJ prove effective IN SEASON, sure I'd see what haul Bobby could bring, but unproven at the back of the pen is no way to go into a season.

tstrike2000
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Hopefully his arm is healed. If he's healthy, this is a nice pick up.

Ditto.

SI1020
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I agree with those who say it's a good pickup if he's healthy, please say no to Bradley, and keep Jenks unless a really good offer is made.

DonnieDarko
12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I really hope that we still keep Jenks and DJ with this signing...

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Howry was the Gas Can.

Linebrink should be Nitro.

gobears1987
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I feel like I really should be more mature, but I'm laughing at the headline on the Sox site: "White Sox bolster bullpen by adding Putz." Why did I have to learn Yiddish swears?

Either way, GREAT signing if he stays healthy.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Now who would be dumb enough to take Linebrink?Jim Hendry

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Now who would be dumb enough to take Linebrink?

Have you seen the dollars on the signings of mediocre relievers so far? The Sox could definitely get something for him. His numbers the last 2 years are not that bad.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
This has to mean Bobby is gone. I'm thinking they'll trade him and re-sign Carrasco. Carrasco is the guy they can't afford to lose.

DonnieDarko
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
This has to mean Bobby is gone. I'm thinking they'll trade him and re-sign Carrasco. Carrasco is the guy they can't afford to lose.

Somehow, I get the horrible feeling that the exact opposite will happen. Frankly, I'd rather have both Jenks and DJ back, but...you never know with KW.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Somehow, I get the horrible feeling that the exact opposite will happen. Frankly, I'd rather have both Jenks and DJ back, but...you never know with KW.If they keep Bobby and Carrasco, I'll be shocked. But KW and JR smell another championship with this starting staff. So maybe they're really going for it.

DonnieDarko
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I hope they're going for it...and I think that we'll need both Jenks and DJ to get there. Or if I'd have to choose, I'd pick Jenks, though not without reservation, of course.

seventyseven
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Why? Putz was emotionally ok with being a set-up guy with the Mets last year. What makes you think he's not going to be one here?

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM

That's just ****ing ridiculous. Yes, rubber arm long relief pitchers are clutch, but you honestly think he is better and more valuable to a Championship team than a proven closer/strong end of the pen? Ridiculous.

Noneck
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Why? Putz was emotionally ok with being a set-up guy with the Mets last year. What makes you think he's not going to be one here?

Because his incentive is based on games finished, not appearances.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Why? Putz was emotionally ok with being a set-up guy with the Mets last year. What makes you think he's not going to be one here?Because Bobby is going to cost over 7 million dollars. And it seems to me Thornton is going to close.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Just remember that the 2004-2005 offseason got off to a slow start with the (what seemed at the time underwhelming) acquisition of Dustin Hermanson.

It took the trade of Lee for Pods and Vizcaino to open up payroll space for the AJ and El Duque signings. And then Hermanson served as a very effective closer throughout most of 2005, bridging a long gap between Shingo and Jenks.

I am not saying that the Putz signing portends anything else.

I am saying that we should withhold judgment until the big picture comes into focus.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:34 PM
That's just ****ing ridiculous. Yes, rubber arm long relief pitchers are clutch, but you honestly think he is better and more valuable to a Championship team than a proven closer/strong end of the pen? Ridiculous.With the addition of Putz, yes.

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:34 PM

That doesn't mean we agreed to hand him the role. It could mean, and stop me if I'm being presumptuous here, that if he performs well enough to earn that role, his contract becomes more valuable.

DonnieDarko
12-11-2009, 03:35 PM

...really? Where'd you get that from?

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
IMHO Putz should only be seen as a replacement for Dotel.

I still want to keep Jenks, with Thornton in the setup role, and Putz as the 7th inning guy. I don't trust Pena to be anything more than a second option in the 6th/7th inning. And Carrasco should be the long reliever, a role in which he has excelled.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Just remember that the 2004-2005 offseason got off to a slow start with the (what seemed at the time underwhelming) acquisition of Dustin Hermanson.

It took the trade of Lee for Pods and Vizcaino to open up payroll space for the AJ and El Duque signings. And then Hermanson served as a very effective closer throughout most of 2005, bridging a long gap between Shingo and Jenks.

I am not saying that the Putz signing portends anything else.

I am saying that we should withhold judgment until the big picture comes into focus.Kenny probably has more up his sleeve.

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
With the addition of Putz, yes.

You mean the guy who pitched horribly last year, and poorly the year before and is coming back fresh off of elbow surgery? Solid rationale. Seriously, you honestly think, money aside, that a pen of DJ, Pena, ?, Linebrink, (williams/loogy), Thornton, Putz > ?, Pena, (williams/loogy), Linebrink, Putz, Thornton, Jenks?

BadBobbyJenks
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
It is about time Kenny stopped putzing around.

Good signing and some serious intrigue on what happens to Jenks now.

veeter
12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
You mean the guy who pitched horribly last year, and poorly the year before and is coming back fresh off of elbow surgery? Solid rationale. Seriously, you honestly think, money aside, that a pen of DJ, Pena, ?, Linebrink, (williams/loogy), Thornton, Putz > ?, Pena, (williams/loogy), Linebrink, Putz, Thornton, Jenks?No, I am a big fan of Bobby Jenks. You can't put money aside, though. The guy I hate is Linebrink. His presence and salary is tying Kenny's hands. He's one of Kenny's mistakes. The Sox would not have signed Putz, unless they thought his elbow was fine.

soltrain21
12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
You mean the guy who pitched horribly last year, and poorly the year before and is coming back fresh off of elbow surgery? Solid rationale. Seriously, you honestly think, money aside, that a pen of DJ, Pena, ?, Linebrink, (williams/loogy), Thornton, Putz > ?, Pena, (williams/loogy), Linebrink, Putz, Thornton, Jenks?

It's a bullpen - who the **** knows year by year?

Noneck
12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
...really? Where'd you get that from?

Here

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/white-sox-jj-putz-agree-to-terms.html

3m for games finished, only 250k for appearances

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
It's a bullpen - who the **** knows year by year?

I know one guy has been a dominant closer more often than not, and the other guy is ~4 ERA 1.4 WHIP long reliever.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Kenny probably has more up his sleeve.

It would be deeppinkisly outstanding if he could move Konerko and prospects in the rumored three-team deal for Adrian Gonzalez, swap Linebrink for Pierre, sign Matsui, and convince Miguel Olivo to return as AJ's backup.

Rotation: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Garcia
Bullpen: Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena, Carrasco, Williams, Hudson
Lineup: Pierre LF, Beckham 2B, Gonzalez 1B, Quentin RF, Matsui DH, Rios CF, AJ C, Alexei SS, Teahen 3B
Bench: Kotsay, Jones, Olivo, Vizquel

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

I still want to keep Jenks, with Thornton in the setup role, and Putz as the 7th inning guy. I don't trust Pena to be anything more than a second option in the 6th/7th inning. And Carrasco should be the long reliever, a role in which he has excelled.

That is exactly how this signing should be looked at, or Putz setting up Jenks, and Linebrink going to Dotel's early role.

And the rest of your post is right on target!!http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

It would be deeppinkisly outstanding if he could move Konerko and prospects in the rumored three-team deal for Adrian Gonzalez, swap Linebrink for Pierre, sign Matsui, and convince Miguel Olivo to return as AJ's backup.

Rotation: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Garcia
Bullpen: Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena, Carrasco, Williams, Hudson
Lineup: Pierre LF, Beckham 2B, Gonzalez 1B, Quentin RF, Matsui DH, Rios CF, AJ C, Alexei SS, Teahen 3B
Bench: Kotsay, Jones, Olivo, Vizquel

I have already voiced my opinion too often about Teahan so I'll leave that alone.

But that Konerko deal is not going to happen, and we really should come up with a better option than Williams as a LOOGY.

KRS1
12-11-2009, 03:59 PM
No, I am a big fan of Bobby Jenks. You can't put money aside, though. The guy I hate is Linebrink. His presence and salary is tying Kenny's hands. He's one of Kenny's mistakes. The Sox would not have signed Putz, unless they thought his elbow was fine.

It's not my money and you said, "Carrasco is the one they can't afford to lose." As for his health, I'm sure he's fine, it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't pitched even okay since 07' and is coming fresh off of elbow surgery. It's definitely worth the gamble in a protected role, but that's not something to bank on in a key role.

white sox bill
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Heres to hoping the battery of JJ and AJ work to our favor.

The more I read about his number not only here but in the news,the more this may be a key pickup. Now rid oursleves of Linebrink

SoxNation05
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I said we should sign him a month ago.

guillensdisciple
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
If healthy, Putz is going to make the White Sox a top team in the A.L.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
If healthy, Putz is going to make the White Sox a top team in the A.L.
Is he a right fielder?

JB98
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Not a bad move at all. The bullpen needed to be addressed. There is risk involved with Putz, but there is risk involved with all relievers.

Carolina Kenny
12-11-2009, 05:46 PM

I agree. This seems to be the direction of our bullpen next year.

guillensdisciple
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Is he a right fielder?

Pitching always wins trophies.

The White Sox lack one component in the outfield, but with a staff and bullpen that could probably average 3 to 4 runs a game- this team might have what it takes to go far.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Is he a right fielder?

Patience will get us one of those. I have a feeling that one is coming within at most a few weeks.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
It is about time Kenny stopped putzing around.

Good signing and some serious intrigue on what happens to Jenks now.

That all depends on who shows up to actually play the game the right way. We need to face the fact that Jenks might be all but done here. I know his trade value seriously sucks but you never know.

With that said, Jenks is still our closer, till otherwise decided.

VMSNS
12-11-2009, 06:53 PM
If he's healthy, then this is a good move.

Alright Kenny, let's keep it going. Don't stop now.

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Is he a right fielder?

I'm just curious. What makes you think that the White Sox are going to acquire a right fielder?

SoxFan1979
12-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Hahahaha yeah you know it's gonna come.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
What a crappy trade. This guy sucks and can't hit for ****. His defense sucks in right field. I hate when KW get's these people who should have stopped trying to hit and defend back in high school. I hope he get's a real outfielder, or a DH. What is he gana be our 4th outfielder? This team really is going to suck. Another crappy move my KW.
haha, lol. xD

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
What a crappy trade. This guy sucks and can't hit for ****. His defense sucks in right field. I hate when KW get's these people who should have stopped trying to hit and defend back in high school. I hope he get's a real outfielder, or a DH. What is he gana be our 4th outfielder? This team really is going to suck. Another crappy move my KW.
haha, lol. xD

...:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Um....Putz is a reliever, sir. Also, we signed him, not traded for him.

EDIT: Clever, you are, young Padawan....white text is indeed white.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2009, 07:52 PM
To those wondering about the offense, Kenny specifically says that's next:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1934133,jj-putz-white-sox-121109.article

Lip

Pablo_Honey
12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
haha, lol. xD
I totally didn't fall for that. :whistle: Anyways, finally a signing that makes sense all around. Now all we need is Bobby to be traded (or extended to a cheap contract) and add another lefty to the pen.

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm suprised this thread has not reached 100 posts yet. :scratch:

The Vizquel and Jones signings along with the Teahan trade seemed to have much more response in a similar time frame.

Odd thing is, this guy might be a more pivotal acquisition than all of the previous ones.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 08:39 PM
To those wondering about the offense, Kenny specifically says that's next:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1934133,jj-putz-white-sox-121109.article

Lip

Let the debate on who it will be begin....

Pablo_Honey
12-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Let the debate on who it will be begin....
Adrian Gonzalez, 'nuff said.

Brian26
12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I like the move. It's one in a series of moves that needed to happen. Keep it going, KW.

JB98
12-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm suprised this thread has not reached 100 posts yet. :scratch:

The Vizquel and Jones signings along with the Teahan trade seemed to have much more response in a similar time frame.

Odd thing is, this guy might be a more pivotal acquisition than all of the previous ones.

With those other acquisitions, there was a lot of disagreement among posters. Some people liked the moves, some did not. Arguments drive up post counts.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to argue about this particular move. I think most Sox fans are in "Anybody but Linebrink" mode as far as the right-handed setup role goes.

slavko
12-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Have to go back 2 years, but then oh my. Hmmm...that's also true of Jenks.

Oh, the joke possibilities are endless, yet severely limited.

Putz is the German word for jewel. Get over it.

There's good crazy and bad crazy.

Craig Grebeck
12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm just curious. What makes you think that the White Sox are going to acquire a right fielder?
I never said they are going to; I said they should, seeing as they lack a competent one.

guillensdisciple
12-12-2009, 05:05 AM
I can't wait to see that countdown scoreboard pop up on the White Sox website. Ahhh, sooner than I know it it will be the second semester of school and pitchers/ catchers will be reporting about 20 days after.

Don't care how they are looking, I think we'll be fine- I just want them to play already.

WSox597
12-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Keep Jenks, he is still the closer. Keep Carrasco along with Putz.

Trade Mr. Linebrink, pronto. If the Dodgers want him, let him go there. Pierre would be a great return for a reliever of his quality. Close enough.

That would be a very good bullpen, although the jury is still out on Pena.

rwcescato
12-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Beat me to it!

Bye Bye Bobby!

I dont think Jenks is going anywhere. All this does is make the pen stronger ala 2005. The beginning of the WS Championship year we
had 3 closers. Politte, Hermanson and Shingo. We needed all 3
and got Jenks half way through the season.

Craig Grebeck
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I dont think Jenks is going anywhere. All this does is make the pen stronger ala 2005. The beginning of the WS Championship year we
had 3 closers. Politte, Hermanson and Shingo. We needed all 3
and got Jenks half way through the season.
Who considered Politte a closer heading into 2005?

TommyJohn
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM

I can see it now:

*Official* "J.J. is a Putz" postgame thread

If he blows a lead to the Cubs, a la Linebrink:

*Official* "Putz is Satan Incarnate and must suffer the pangs of eternal damnation for what he has done to us" postgame thread

nsolo
12-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh, the joke possibilities are endless, yet severely limited.

what he said.....

cards press box
12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Keep Jenks, he is still the closer. Keep Carrasco along with Putz.

Trade Mr. Linebrink, pronto. If the Dodgers want him, let him go there. Pierre would be a great return for a reliever of his quality. Close enough.

That would be a very good bullpen, although the jury is still out on Pena.

Let's see, right now, the Sox bullpen is probably: Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Pena, Linebrink, Carrasco and R. Williams. We have to see if the Sox non-tender Carrasco tonight. I hope that they keep Carrasco, as he can pitch every day and has done so in a variety of roles from long man to late inning relief. Williams might be o.k. as a LOGGY but I would, at a minimum, invite someone to compete with him in spring training, If the Cubs non-tender Neal Cotts, I would hope that the Sox would give him a minor league contract and a spring training invite to compete with Williams in the spring.

Linebrink, based upon his perfromance since mid-2008, does appear to be the odd man out here. The Sox have him for two more years, though, unless they do deal him. I wouldn't have a problem with the Sox dealing him for Juan Pierre (who also has two years left on his contract), particularly if the Dodgers picked up most of the difference between the two contracts. Right now, it appears that the leadoff men who may be available to the Sox are Scott Podsednik, Coco Crisp or Pierre. Pierre (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierrju01.shtml?redir) is somewhat comparable to Crisp (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/crispco01.shtml). Pierre gets on base slightly more (.348 lifetime OBP vs. .331 lifetime OBP), Crisp is the better defender and neither can throw very well. If the Sox can move Linebrink while also acquiring Pierre and not take on much salary, that would be a coup. The Dodgers, however, have unsettled ownership and it is not clear that this is even possible.

I never said they are going to; I said they should, seeing as they lack a competent one.

Based on Ozzie's comments with the last ten days or so, it sounds as though the Sox will move Carlos Quentin to RF. I thought Quentin played a decent RF with Arizona; hopefully, he can do that with the Sox. All of the leadoff man that the Sox may acquire (see above) are better suited for LF than RF. I expect that the Sox outfield will be Pierre or Crisp or Podsednik in LF, Rios in CF and Quentin in RF.

Also, given the fact that the Yanks have made an offer to Johnny Damon (2 years at $18 million) that is better than anything else Damon is likely to get on the open market, I think that Hideki Matsui will not have a spot on the 2010 Yankees and will sign with the Sox to be the Sox primary DH. Ozzie will probably play Matsui in LF once in a while, too.

Craig Grebeck
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I expect that the Sox outfield will be Pierre or Crisp or Podsednik in LF, Rios in CF and Quentin in RF.

If Crisp is on this team he should be in CF, Rios in RF, and Quentin in LF. A minor quibble, perhaps, but a point I wanted to make: Rios is a fantastic defensive outfielder, and his versatility is an asset if a legitimate CF is on the market.

Tragg
12-12-2009, 07:31 PM
The Sox have a LF - Carlos Quentin.
Hopefully Williams will find a real right fielder or, if not, a Centerfielder.
Carlos Quentin in right exacerbates defensive weaknesses.

JermaineDye05
12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
The Sox have a LF - Carlos Quentin.
Hopefully Williams will find a real right fielder or, if not, a Centerfielder.
Carlos Quentin in right exacerbates defensive weaknesses.

Carlos Quentin is a real right fielder.

Why is that so hard for so many people to comprehend?

He came up through Arizona's system as a right fielder and was pretty good.

Because of hiccups in LF over the past season which, I might add, was plagued by plantar fasciitis, we're all of a sudden ready to claim that he can't play RF?

Let the guy show what he can do in ST before we decide which positions he can and cannot play.

Tragg
12-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Carlos Quentin is a real right fielder.

Why is that so hard for so many people to comprehend?

He came up through Arizona's system as a right fielder and was pretty good.
Because I have eyes, that is why. He's not a smooth left fielder, thus right is not advisable.
People also understand that the list of players not playing the position that they "Came up playing" is long.
Further, if putting him in right means pierre or podsednik takes over left, then that would be particularly nutty. Keeping him in left gives the Sox a better chance of upgrading the outfield defense.

JermaineDye05
12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Because I have eyes, that is why. He's not a smooth left fielder, thus right is not advisable.
People also understand that the list of players not playing the position that they "Came up playing" is long.
Further, if putting him in right means pierre or podsednik takes over left, then that would be particularly nutty. Keeping him in left gives the Sox a better chance of upgrading the outfield defense.

You're basing your assumption on what you've seen him do in LF?

His fielding statistics in right are actually better than his ones in left, most notably his fielding percentage and range factor. Granted, he has played about 100 more games in left.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quentca01.shtml

If you watch some of the video from back when he was with Arizona, where he was primarily played in LF, you'll see he was actually pretty good.

Pablo_Honey
12-12-2009, 08:29 PM
His fielding statistics in right are actually better than his ones in left, most notably his fielding percentage and range factor. Granted, he has played about 100 more games in left.
Defensive stats are very unreliable since they depend a lot on how many chances the outfielder got to make the play and they fluctuate A LOT. (E.g: Carlos Lee committed no error in one season, after committing 7 in the previous season) Defense is such a difficult thing to measure that stats can't tell the whole story. You really do have to watch the guy play.

If you watch some of the video from back when he was with Arizona, where he was primarily played in LF, you'll see he was actually pretty good.
And yeah, that's exactly why we can't trust Quentin. Back when he was with the D-backs, he still had a healthy wrist and two perfectly functioning legs. After all these injuries, one has to wonder if the Sox should DH him or not.

JermaineDye05
12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
And yeah, that's exactly why we can't trust Quentin. Back when he was with the D-backs, he still had a healthy wrist and two perfectly functioning legs. After all these injuries, one has to wonder if the Sox should DH him or not.

I can understand this sentiment but I feel we should at least give Carlos the chance to prove himself in right before we start declaring that he can't play the position.

For all I know, he could be dreadful in RF now and I'm leading myself towards getting a big plateful of eggs on my face come spring training. Or Kenny could acquire a player or a couple players that wind up limiting Carlos to a DH role.

The fact is, we don't know how things are going to pan out until the end of ST. Anything can happen with KW running the show.

Corlose 15
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM

What makes you think his wrist hasn't healed? It's not like he was lacking in power last year. He still hit 21 HR in 99 games. I'd be more concerned about him having lingerng problems with his foot, but those issues supposedly are resolved.

Pablo_Honey
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
What makes you think his wrist hasn't healed? It's not like he was lacking in power last year. He still hit 21 HR in 99 games. I'd be more concerned about him having lingerng problems with his foot, but those issues supposedly are resolved.
Meh, I really wasn't thinking when I typed that. I thought his throwing strength may have declined because of the wrist injury, which now I see is a stupid logic since you don't throw all that much with the wrist anyways. I also probably got the elbow injury and wrist injury mixed up too. My bad :(:

soxfanreggie
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
For all I know, he could be dreadful in RF now and I'm leading myself towards getting a big plateful of eggs on my face come spring training. Or Kenny could acquire a player or a couple players that wind up limiting Carlos to a DH role.

I'd say it could be a shaving cream pie but Swisher is gone. The eggs might taste better.

Back to JJ, I am still excited about this signing.

If the Cubs non-tender Neal Cotts, I would hope that the Sox would give him a minor league contract and a spring training invite to compete with Williams in the spring.

I have been hoping he could come back to the Sox and rekindle some magic. I'm partial to him since he is a Redbird, but if he can be close to what he is in 2005, he would be a welcome additional as a lefty reliever in almost any pen.

Sox-on-TV44
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM

...Or the the theme from "Good Times".After all,his name is J.J.,right?:D:

I think this is a good singing.And Jenks should still be closer.

gobears1987
12-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm going to buy his jersey just so I can have a jersey that says "Putz" on the back. I will get the strangest looks next year with that jersey!:bandance: