PDA

View Full Version : Agent says Bonds is done with baseball

thomas35forever
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4730658

In other news, grass is green and snow is white.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Its the other way around, baseball is done with Bonds.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Its the other way around, baseball is done with Bonds.

Beat me to it. :tongue:

Jerko
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
What was their first hint?

VeeckAsInWreck
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Isn't this announcement a couple of years late?

Lundind1
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
No kidding. The year of no offers or incredible lowball offers didn't tip you off. Oy.:rolleyes:

white sox bill
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe Barry has figured out there not much a market for an aging, steroid using, lying prima donna crybaby who is a cancer anywhere he goes.

soxinem1
12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Yet he did not officially retire, either.:scratch:

Even sadder is the fact that the prick is 65 hits short of 3,000 and NO ONE wanted him.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Even sadder is the fact that the prick is 65 hits short of 3,000 and NO ONE wanted him.

With all the controversy surrounding him, it's safe to assume that he was blackballed.

You'd think the Pirates would offer him a deal to boost attendance.

tstrike2000
12-10-2009, 07:29 PM

soxinem1
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM

:roflmao:

Pablo_Honey
12-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Let's put it this way: If you are running a team, do you want to be known as the team that helped a guy who might have juiced to reach a rather meaningful career milestone like the 3000 hit mark? I mean, if Bonds didn't get into the real hardcore steroids (Let's face it, almost every pro athlete uses some sort of enhancements) and he fell short of 3000 mark, then a team would sign him to reach that milestone - everybody is happy. Unfortunately, anybody with a functioning brain can see that he juiced and at this point, his career numbers are tainted and no one would give a darn when he becomes a HOF candidate.

MARTINMVP
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
If he wasn't such a jackass, and was willing to own up to his demons, people would be more willing to forgive him. People have short memories.

jamokes
12-10-2009, 10:14 PM
It's amazing that guys like this actually announce something like this.

chisoxjtrain
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
With all the controversy surrounding him, it's safe to assume that he was blackballed.

Having him play for the Pirates would be a great punishment for his misdeeds and general douchebagerry.

LongLiveFisk
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
So is he going to try football now?

Jerko
12-11-2009, 12:17 AM
So is he going to try football now?

Golf has an opening at the top.

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Was anyone asking?

g0g0
12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Good. I'm glad you finally got the message!

soxinem1
12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Let's put it this way: If you are running a team, do you want to be known as the team that helped a guy who might have juiced to reach a rather meaningful career milestone like the 3000 hit mark? I mean, if Bonds didn't get into the real hardcore steroids (Let's face it, almost every pro athlete uses some sort of enhancements) and he fell short of 3000 mark, then a team would sign him to reach that milestone - everybody is happy. Unfortunately, anybody with a functioning brain can see that he juiced and at this point, his career numbers are tainted and no one would give a darn when he becomes a HOF candidate.

I agree with you entirely. It is sad that a guy who had the talent to have a great career without the shots in the ass had to have his career end like this.

TornLabrum
12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I received an email today from the Joliet Jackhammers with a press release that they had begun negotiations with his agent.

NLaloosh
12-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I received an email today from the Joliet Jackhammers with a press release that they had begun negotiations with his agent.

I got another email and it said they are changing the team name to The Joliet Jackasses.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Even if he showed up on another team, he would have been undoubtedly, the only 3000 hit hitter to not make the HOF.

My opinion on who should and should not be in the hall of fame in this era is for another thread....

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2009, 01:55 AM

I got this e-mail too, and sagely noted that today is NOT April 1. Is this utter bull**** or is Barry Bonds really considering playing for an unaffiliated minor league team to showcase whatever he's got left?

SMO
:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
12-12-2009, 02:03 AM
I got this e-mail too, and sagely noted that today is NOT April 1. Is this utter bull**** or is Barry Bonds really considering playing for an unaffiliated minor league team to showcase whatever he's got left?

SMO
:scratch:It just screams "publicity stunt." They send an email to Bonds' agent saying they're interested, and then they can say they are "negotiating."

oeo
12-12-2009, 02:11 AM

I don't think 45-year-old Barry Bonds is going to be boosting anyone's attendance.

johnny bench
12-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Even if he showed up on another team, he would have been undoubtedly, the only 3000 hit hitter to not make the HOF.

Pete Rose and Rafael Palmeiro have 3000 hits

TornLabrum
12-12-2009, 08:33 AM
It just screams "publicity stunt." They send an email to Bonds' agent saying they're interested, and then they can say they are "negotiating."

Well, you do have to remember that the Jackhammers did hire Pete Rose, Jr. a few years ago. They've been in financial trouble for a couple of years and may be looking for an easy way to draw people. OR as you said (and what my first thought was), it's a publicity stunt and they contacted by manager by email or snail mail, and that's the extent of it.

LongLiveFisk
12-12-2009, 10:20 AM

SMO
:scratch:

It's all a mirage to get Barry to Joliet. Once he's there, they will throw the cuffs on him and toss him in the Joliet Prison.

Shhh...

Frontman
12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't know what is more laughable; the fact that the Jackhammer's want that kind of pub; or that Bonds had to come to the conclusion baseball didn't want him anymore.