PDA

View Full Version : The Tigers are interested in Pods?

spawn
12-10-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/tigers-four-others-interested-in-podsednik.html

If the Sox don't sign him, I hope the Tigers do. Can you picture Pods playing Center in Comerica?

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/tigers-four-others-interested-in-podsednik.html

If the Sox don't sign him, I hope the Tigers do. Can you picture Pods playing Center in Comerica?

Two words: Oy Vey!

Lundind1
12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
If he signed, you know he is going to do what every other Ex-Sox player does in his return here....hit a homerun. And I am going to throw my hat at someone.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
If he signed, you know he is going to do what every other Ex-Sox player does in his return here....hit a homerun. And I am going to throw my hat at someone.

You are going to get all upset for him hitting a HR?

Only way I would be upset for letting Pods walk is if by some miracle he plays 150 games, hits .300, steals 50 bases, and an OBP% of .390.

Taliesinrk
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM

Only way I would be upset for letting Pods walk is if by some miracle he plays 150 games, hits .300, steals 50 bases, and an OBP% of .390.

That wouldn't be a miracle, and I wish you people would stop acting like it would be. It's so damn frustrating having to see the extreme overreactions here about Pods. Here are his stats from last year in which he came over, had to adjust to the Sox on the fly as the season had already started, wasn't able to start playing until May, and stayed healthy the ENTIRE year: 130 games (started the season in MAY!!!), .304, 30 steals, OBP of .354.

He has never put up an OBP of .390, but that doesn't mean it would be a "miracle" if he did. I can practically guarantee that there's no one on the current roster that can put up those numbers in the lead-off spot for the Sox this season. If you will put your "objective-thinking hat" on, you'll remember that before the Sox even signed him, it was (assumedly somewhat unbiased) Rockies personnel that was touting his new training regimen that had him in the best shape of his playing days. After the Sox signed him, all signs seemed to validate these claims as he played the first (almost full... including his time in the minors) season as a starter with seemingly no injury issues.

As if you needed more reasons to back the statement that you people and your tin-foil opinions are wearing thin, Scott Merkin on MLB Network is claiming that last season, Pods turned over new leaf in which he not only "got it", which allowed him to be a more productive player, but was a "good influence" on a lot of the younger guys in the clubhouse. Admittedly, there was one report (from an unreliable reporter who has still not given much of any evidence to support his claim) that Pods didn't get along with the clubhouse. The player used as an example (Dotel) is now gone. I'm not saying this had anything to do with it (honestly), but the Sox didn't offer him arbitration either way, so we can probably put that one to bed while we're at it.

All that said, I'm not advocating resigning Pods (especially at what he's reported to want). I really go back-and-forth as to what the Sox should be doing with their OF and lead-off situation. What I do know is that he certainly wouldn't "doom" the team and he would fill two holes they currently have (OF and lead-off hitter). Admittedly, they would still need a power bat and at least one RP.

I would think that "miracle" isn't exactly the word to use when describing 150 games (which with the # of games he played in the minors last season, he probably hit), .300 avg (which he had), 50 steals (which he has done in his career multiple times), and a .390 OBP (which he has NOT done, and while improbable, would not be "a miracle" if he did). The grass is always greener and I think people frequently forget how teams with good pitching (and the Sox certainly have the make-up of a top 3 or 5 rotation in baseball) win championships. It's with good defense (Pods does not bring this, but I'd rather have him than some others.... see: Carlos Lee/Josh Fields/others I've had to endure out there) and a BALANCED line-up. Not good, not bad, just balanced. IMO, we haven't had a balanced line-up since '05.

russ99
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
That wouldn't be a miracle, and I wish you people would stop acting like it would be. It's so damn frustrating having to see the extreme overreactions here about Pods.

Good one.

I hate that some people dismiss a guy due to a past injury, just because he's a slap hitter and yet turn around and assume an all-star season by someone (like Quentin) with similar past because they're a power hitter...

asindc
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
That wouldn't be a miracle, and I wish you people would stop acting like it would be. It's so damn frustrating having to see the extreme overreactions here about Pods. Here are his stats from last year in which he came over, had to adjust to the Sox on the fly as the season had already started, wasn't able to start playing until May, and stayed healthy the ENTIRE year: 130 games (started the season in MAY!!!), .304, 30 steals, OBP of .354.

He has never put up an OBP of .390, but that doesn't mean it would be a "miracle" if he did. I can practically guarantee that there's no one on the current roster that can put up those numbers in the lead-off spot for the Sox this season. If you will put your "objective-thinking hat" on, you'll remember that before the Sox even signed him, it was (assumedly somewhat unbiased) Rockies personnel that was touting his new training regiment that had him in the best shape of his playing days. After the Sox signed him, all signs seemed to validate these claims as he played the first (almost full... including his time in the minors) season as a starter with seemingly no injury issues.

As if you needed more reasons to back the statement that you people and your tin-foil opinions are wearing thin, Scott Merkin on MLB Network is claiming that last season, Pods turned over new leaf in which he not only "got it", which allowed him to be a more productive player, but was a "good influence" on a lot of the younger guys in the clubhouse. Admittedly, there was one report (from an unreliable reporter who has still not given much of any evidence to support his claim) that Pods didn't get along with the clubhouse. The player used as an example (Dotel) is now gone. I'm not saying this had anything to do with it (honestly), but the Sox didn't offer him arbitration either way, so we can probably put that one to bed while we're at it.

All that said, I'm not advocating resigning Pods (especially at what he's reported to want). I really go back-and-forth as to what the Sox should be doing with their OF and lead-off situation. What I do know is that he certainly wouldn't "doom" the team and he would fill two holes they currently have (OF and lead-off hitter). Admittedly, they would still need a power bat and at least one RP.

I would think that "miracle" isn't exactly the word to use when describing 150 games (which with the # of games he played in the minors last season, he probably hit), .300 avg (which he had), 50 steals (which he has done in his career multiple times), and a .390 OBP (which he has NOT done, and while improbable, would not be "a miracle" if he did). The grass is always greener and I think people frequently forget how teams with good pitching (and the Sox certainly have the make-up of a top 3 or 5 rotation in baseball) win championships. It's with good defense (Pods does not bring this, but I'd rather have him than some others.... see: Carlos Lee/Josh Fields/others I've had to endure out there) and a BALANCED line-up. Not good, not bad, just balanced. IMO, we haven't had a balanced line-up since '05.

Season1325377516325674839743013.304.353.412.764

Thank you for this post. It is as if some people think there is a "Leadoff Hitter Mart" that is as big and expansive as a K-Mart or WalMart. There is a reason why WS-winning teams use guys like an aging Johnny Damon as their leadoff hitter. It is because no matter how much money any team has to spend, the Leadoff Hitter Mart does not exist.

#1swisher
12-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I predict...this!

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2009, 02:12 PM

He has never put up an OBP of .390, but that doesn't mean it would be a "miracle" if he did. I can practically guarantee that there's no one on the current roster that can put up those numbers in the lead-off spot for the Sox this season. If you will put your "objective-thinking hat" on, you'll remember that before the Sox even signed him, it was (assumedly somewhat unbiased) Rockies personnel that was touting his new training regimen that had him in the best shape of his playing days. After the Sox signed him, all signs seemed to validate these claims as he played the first (almost full... including his time in the minors) season as a starter with seemingly no injury issues.

Great post! :gulp:

I hope the Sox and Pods are able to work something out that is fair to both sides, there just aren't that many better choices left.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Your assesment there fails to bring up the suckatude Pods was '06, '07, and '08. The guy couldn't stay healthy.

Just because he had this "break out" season last year when ironically his career was on the brink of being done doesn't guranteed the guy at an older age now has finally found a way to keep himself in one piece. He played his way into a new ML contract for what he did last year, but he is still a huge risk in my book.

I repeat, A run producer in the middle of our order is a much higher need for us than a mediocre/average career lead off hitter. You win at the Cell by mashing the ball and driving in runs. Good offensive Sox teams have been teams who can mash. We did not mash last year and therefore we sucked. Even the great Scott Podsednik could not save this offense from sucking.

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Your assesment there fails to bring up the suckatude Pods was '06, '07, and '08. The guy couldn't stay healthy.

Just because he had this "break out" season last year when ironically his career was on the brink of being done doesn't guranteed the guy at an older age now has finally found a way to keep himself in one piece. He played his way into a new ML contract for what he did last year, but he is still a huge risk in my book.

I repeat, A run producer in the middle of our order is a much higher need for us than a mediocre/average career lead off hitter. You win at the Cell by mashing the ball and driving in runs. Good offensive Sox teams have been teams who can mash. We did not mash last year and therefore we sucked. Even the great Scott Podsednik could not save this offense from sucking.

We only play 81 games at the Cell and we aren't going to win all 81 games there. You win games EVERYWHERE with good pitching, defense, and a good offense, and having guys who can get on, steal bases and bunt guys over are part of a good offense. So are having guys who can hit the hell out of the ball too. I wouldn't mind one more big bat but if you figure Quentin can produce for a full year and Rios can return to the mean of his career, you'll have plenty of guys to drive in runs. What you might not have though is a guy to get on and steal some bags.

I'm not suggesting we break the bank for Pods, but let's not write him off as completely ineffective.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
We only play 81 games at the Cell and we aren't going to win all 81 games there. You win games EVERYWHERE with good pitching, defense, and a good offense, and having guys who can get on, steal bases and bunt guys over are part of a good offense. So are having guys who can hit the hell out of the ball too. I wouldn't mind one more big bat but if you figure Quentin can produce for a full year and Rios can return to the mean of his career, you'll have plenty of guys to drive in runs. What you might not have though is a guy to get on and steal some bags.

I'm not suggesting we break the bank for Pods, but let's not write him off as completely ineffective.

For me it comes down on what I feel we need more: A lead off hitter or a LH productive RBI man?

If I can only pick one, I take Matsui over Pods and roll the dice with Beckham leading off for one season and re-visit the lead off spot in 2011.

I think Beckham leading off and Matsui hitting 5th gives us a much better chance to wining for a season than Pods leading off and Beckham hitting 5th or 6th. There are just way too many question marks in the middle of the order with CQ, Rios, Paulie to just not consider plugging in another premium bat in there.

Zisk77
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
if the tigers sign Pods he'll play lF...Austin Jackson will be in CF.

soxinem1
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
The one Pods signing rumor I thought was strange was him going to SFG, and then the Giants moving Rowand from CF to LF.:scratch:

Pablo_Honey
12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
For me it comes down on what I feel we need more: A lead off hitter or a LH productive RBI man?

If I can only pick one, I take Matsui over Pods and roll the dice with Beckham leading off for one season and re-visit the lead off spot in 2011.

I think Beckham leading off and Matsui hitting 5th gives us a much better chance to wining for a season than Pods leading off and Beckham hitting 5th or 6th. There are just way too many question marks in the middle of the order with CQ, Rios, Paulie to just not consider plugging in another premium bat in there.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to like the idea Beckham leading off as some of the others here do. It's not that I think it's a stupid idea. I mean it's a fine idea, I think. Yet my intuitions tell me Rios should lead off and Beckham bat behind him, which I can't even back up with any reasons other than the fact Rios is a speedster.

Also, shouldn't Matsui be batting 3rd? I know he's batted 5th with the Yanks, but we don't have any sure-bet hitters at either 3rd or 4th. It would probably be better to go with Matsui-Paulie-Quentin unless Quentin produces at 2008 level.

Taliesinrk
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM

Actually, my "assesment" succeeded. It was the part about before even signing him, Rockies personnel claiming that he was in the best shape of his career. I never claimed this to be true... I merely said that after those claims were made, the Sox signed him and he played injury-free. That's more than he even did in '05. My "assesment" doesn't need to being up '06, '07, and '08 because that's not what was being discussed. What was being addressed was the fact that you, like many others here have done, overreacted by using the word "miracle" to describe possible numbers for Podsednik to put up next year. I was merely addressing past numbers (the facts) and how they substantiate the claim that "miracle" was a terrible choice of words. And furthermore, '08 is not a fair comparison as he wasn't playing an everyday position with the Rockies. With that, I would encourage you or someone else to tell me how someone on our line-up would perform at the level Pods could next season. I would also like to know how signing a Pods-like player + a Putz could be worse than getting Matsui. Am I one of the only ones who didn't fully appreciate Linebrink throwing in a one-run game in the 8th last season? Based upon the responses, it seems like I may be.

russ99
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
If we don't get a leadoff guy, I'd prefer Ramirez at leadoff.

He's a wild swinger, a hacker, and has a little plate patience, but he's got the baserunning skill and is aggressive on the basepaths. But that free swinging probably wouldn't work against him as much.

Also. I'm worried about what hitting leadoff would do to Beckham.

Don't forget, most players struggle in their second year, and the pressure and needed focus to lead off could mess him up. I hate to use Swisher as a comparison as they really don't compare at all, but even Orlando Cabrera had a hard time with the role and he's a seasoned vet.

Hopefully Kenny has some moves up his sleeves and this discussion is moot.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
This evening at the Tribune web site Beckham told Mark Gonzales that he'll leadoff if asked but that he'd rather not do it.

Lip

sox1970
12-10-2009, 11:43 PM
This evening at the Tribune web site Beckham told Mark Gonzales that he'll leadoff if asked but that he'd rather not do it.

Lip

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-11-white-sox-chicago-dec11,0,839541.story

Ozzie is an idiot for saying that. It'll never happen.