PDA

View Full Version : Cust on Radar

Lip Man 1
12-09-2009, 09:59 AM
According to the Breaking News segment of the Chicago Tribune, the A's jack Cust is now on the Sox radar as someone who can DH and play LF.

Cust had a ton of strikeouts but according to the story hit 25 home runs, drove in 77 RBI's and had an OBP in the .350 range.

Just FYI.

Lip

spawn
12-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Please no.

DirtySox
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Links are nice you know:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/clock-ticking-for-some-teams-arbitration-eligible-players.html

Sounds like idle speculation to me. Not that interested in Cust, but I'd love to sign Correia.

spawn
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Links are nice you know:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/clock-ticking-for-some-teams-arbitration-eligible-players.html

Sounds like idle speculation to me.
I was just going to say I just looked at the link, and it says they could have interest. Absoultely idle speculation.

sox1970
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Where does it say Cust is on the Sox radar?

getonbckthr
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
If we have any interest in Cust then we should have serious interest in Rick Ankiel. They seem similar at the plate with Ankiel being head and shoulders above defensively.

Risk
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Please no.

Seconded.

Risk

kittle42
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Wasn't there a huge discussion about this here already? Jack Cust is a very divisive figure, apparently!

tm1119
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
If we have any interest in Cust then we should have serious interest in Rick Ankiel. They seem similar at the plate with Ankiel being head and shoulders above defensively.

Ankiel isnt really even close to Cust as a hitter. Cust's OBP will be nearly .800 points higher, and he has a good deal more power as well. People need to realize that Cust was putting up 25+ homerun seasons in limited time playing in 1 of the worst ballparks to hit home runs in. Put him in The Cell against RHP's only and he could go for 40 while maintaining his .370+ OBP. Not the worst option. Although I would much rather get a full time DH/OF like Matsui.

EMachine10
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh come on, he's not awful. He's somewhat similar to Swisher (when Swisher decides to be good), but with some more strikeouts. He's not a great player, but he's not the worst thing that's happened to baseball. I can think of much worse scenarios that will probably play out with this team next season at the DH position.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Cust should be a backup plan. He'd make for a decent platoon with Andruw at DH/LF if it comes to that. But he's a three true outcomes hitter who has been putrid away from the Coliseum, and he's been trending downward for three seasons. I'd much rather go after a young, defensive-minded .850 OPS outfielder with a trade chip like Jenks.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM

I agree with you. Ankiel is interesting because he has some pop in his bat and he has a great arm in the outfield. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox take a chance on him.

ike from nj
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Please no.
actually if the a's non-tender him he makes a lot of sense for the sox. he's a lefthanded hitter, can play some of/first base and won't cost a lot of money. i think he has had a lot of success at the cell.

NLaloosh
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Ankiel's agent is Borass.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Ankiel's agent is Borass.

He's also Andruw Jones' agent, and look where he's at?

TDog
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Wasn't there a huge discussion about this here already? Jack Cust is a very divisive figure, apparently!

He really isn't that divisive among A's fans. Most want him gone. I haven't;t talked with any that are passionate about wanting him to stay. Cust is more popular with people who haven't seen him play much.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
He really isn't that divisive among A's fans. Most want him gone.
Well that's flat uninformed. Lots of A's fans want him around. He's got talent.

I haven't;t talked with any that are passionate about wanting him to stay. Cust is more popular with people who haven't seen him play much.
Don't assume that. There are plenty of people who watch baseball and appreciate three true outcomes players.

DonnieDarko
12-09-2009, 02:58 PM

I don't think that Jones is as worse off as Ankiel. Something tells me that Ankiel is going to command more money.

Chez
12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Seconded.

Risk

Thirded. Ick.

tstrike2000
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Cust sounds like a poor man's Thome with less power, little less OBP, same station-to-station.

chisox616
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Yikes, people want Ankiel over Cust? Please have a look at his stats first. I watched him play all last year, every game he played in I was just waiting for him to break out of his slump, and he never did. Struck out 99 times, walked 26, for a .285 OBP... .231 BA, 11 HR, 38 RBIs.

The only team I've heard have interest in him all offseason was the Pirates, if that says anything.

Defense is great...but come on. We need to put offense somewhere.

soxinem1
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Yikes, people want Ankiel over Cust? Please have a look at his stats first. I watched him play all last year, every game he played in I was just waiting for him to break out of his slump, and he never did. Struck out 99 times, walked 26, for a .285 OBP... .231 BA, 11 HR, 38 RBIs.

The only team I've heard have interest in him all offseason was the Pirates, if that says anything.

Defense is great...but come on. We need to put offense somewhere.

How about if we pass on both and concentrate on someone else??

spawn
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
How about if we pass on both and concentrate on someone else??
This I agree with completely.

TDog
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Well that's flat uninformed. Lots of A's fans want him around. He's got talent.

Don't assume that. There are plenty of people who watch baseball and appreciate three true outcomes players.

I live in A's country and am surrounded by A's fans who want to see Jack Cust gone, who question whether any talent he may possess has anything to do with baseball. Maybe A's fans who never see the A's play feel differently.

soxinem1
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I live in A's country and am surrounded by A's fans who want to see Jack Cust gone, who question whether any talent he may possess has anything to do with baseball. Maybe A's fans who never see the A's play feel differently.

If things keep going the way they are in OAK, A's fans may not be seeing the A's much longer.

KMcMahon817
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Cust was not tendered a contract from the A's, as expected. May not be a terrible backup plan if Matsui signs elsewhere.

areilly
12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Where does it say Cust is on the Sox radar?

Where does it say Cust can play left field?

Daver
12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Where does it say Cust can play left field?

Where does it say you can't?

Can you wear a glove on your head?

thomas35forever
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
If he's a strikeout king, he'll remind me too much of Swisher. No thanks.

TDog
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
If he's a strikeout king, he'll remind me too much of Swisher. No thanks.

Cust would make you forget Swisher. Cust strikes out more than Swisher, doesn't hit or run as well and doesn't play any defensive position nearly as well.

There are reasons the A's don't want hit returning in 2010.

Foulke You
12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Cust would make you forget Swisher. Cust strikes out more than Swisher, doesn't hit or run as well and doesn't play any defensive position nearly as well.

There are reasons the A's don't want hit returning in 2010.
I have a feeling Cust's escalating salary (due to impending arbitration) has more to do with the small market A's not wanting him back. Cust provides average DH type numbers. He isn't terrible but he isn't great either. As discussed in another thread, Cust has decent power, good OBP, and certainly a ton of strikeouts. Traditional all or nothing type sluggers will always have a place in a lot of AL lineups. In the right lineup or ballpark, a hitter like Cust could certainly help you. Believe me, there are plenty of other options I'd rather the Sox pursue over Cust but I wouldn't be s heartbroken as you if they picked him up. Did Cust run over your cat or something Tdog? You seem to have a lot of venom stored up for him.:tongue:

NLaloosh
12-13-2009, 07:46 PM

If Ankiel will sign for 500k then Kenny will deal with borass. What do you think?

oeo
12-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a feeling Cust's escalating salary (due to impending arbitration) has more to do with the small market A's not wanting him back. Cust provides average DH type numbers. He isn't terrible but he isn't great either. As discussed in another thread, Cust has decent power, good OBP, and certainly a ton of strikeouts. Traditional all or nothing type sluggers will always have a place in a lot of AL lineups. In the right lineup or ballpark, a hitter like Cust could certainly help you. Believe me, there are plenty of other options I'd rather the Sox pursue over Cust but I wouldn't be s heartbroken as you if they picked him up. Did Cust run over your cat or something Tdog? You seem to have a lot of venom stored up for him.:tongue:

No, he just sucks. Once again, he's had one pretty good season, and he didn't even reach 400 AB's that year. The other two: one was meh, the other was awful. No thanks, the guy isn't very good. The guy is still living off of that "breakout" season from a couple years ago.

Foulke You
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
No, he just sucks. Once again, he's had one pretty good season, and he didn't even reach 400 AB's that year. The other two: one was meh, the other was awful. No thanks, the guy isn't very good. The guy is still living off of that "breakout" season from a couple years ago.
Cust's power production is within sniffing distance of Jermaine Dye during the same 3 years span (2007-2009) playing in a bigger ballpark and a weaker lineup. Dye gets more hits and doubles while Cust walks and K's more. Dye is definitely the superior hitter but I dispute the claim that Cust "sucks" and offers no value. "Sucks" paints a picture of a player with a broad brush. Dwayne Wise and Jerry Owens "suck". Jack Cust is a "flawed" player. There is a difference. To be clear, I'm NOT disputing that Cust is a flawed player. He misses the ball too often which probably makes him a less than ideal fit for the Sox. However, decent left handed power hitters with good OBP don't just grow on trees. It's exactly why Cust won't have a lot of trouble landing a job somewhere this offseason. It's also why Jim Thome should find a job and why the Mariners coveted Russell Branyan's services last year. There just aren't a ton of good lefty power hitters with *decent* OBP available.

Cust
2007 - 27HR 82RBI
2008- 33HR 77RBI
2009- 25HR 70 RBI

Dye-
2007- 28HR 78RBI
2008- 34HR 96RBI
2009- 27HR 81RBI

oeo
12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Cust's power production is within sniffing distance of Jermaine Dye during the same 3 years span (2007-2009) playing in a bigger ballpark and a weaker lineup. Dye gets more hits and doubles while Cust walks and K's more. Dye is definitely the superior hitter but I dispute the claim that Cust "sucks" and offers no value. "Sucks" paints a picture of a player with a broad brush. Dwayne Wise and Jerry Owens "suck". Jack Cust is a "flawed" player. There is a difference. To be clear, I'm NOT disputing that Cust is a flawed player. He misses the ball too often which probably makes him a less than ideal fit for the Sox. However, decent left handed power hitters with good OBP don't just grow on trees. It's exactly why Cust won't have a lot of trouble landing a job somewhere this offseason. It's also why Jim Thome should find a job and why the Mariners coveted Russell Branyan's services last year. There just aren't a ton of good lefty power hitters with *decent* OBP available.

Cust
2007 - 27HR 82RBI
2008- 33HR 77RBI
2009- 25HR 70 RBI

Dye-
2007- 28HR 78RBI
2008- 34HR 96RBI
2009- 27HR 81RBI

Power does not equal homeruns alone and most certainly does not equal RBI's. Not only did Dye actually play a defensive position, he also hit twice as many doubles as Cust in two of those three years. Dye really fell off the ledge at the end of 2009, but he's also 35 years old.

Cust, as a DH, isn't very good. Last year was awful, and he doesn't have a track record that says he's going to get better. In fact, it looks more likely that he was just a flash in the pan a couple years ago.

soxinem1
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Power does not equal homeruns alone and most certainly does not equal RBI's. Not only did Dye actually play a defensive position, he also hit twice as many doubles as Cust in two of those three years. Dye really fell off the ledge at the end of 2009, but he's also 35 years old.

Cust, as a DH, isn't very good. Last year was awful, and he doesn't have a track record that says he's going to get better. In fact, it looks more likely that he was just a flash in the pan a couple years ago.

There is a reason why he was in the minors so long, and it wasn't to top Crash Davis' all-time minor league HR total!

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like Cust is more of a reality now that Matsui is going to the Angels.

russ99
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Cust -
2007 - 27HR 82RBI .256
2008- 33HR 77RBI .231
2009- 25HR 70 RBI .240

Dye-
2007- 28HR 78RBI .254
2008- 34HR 96RBI . 292
2009- 27HR 81RBI . 250

There's a reason Oakland cut him loose. Those are Swisher numbers.

Dye's declining too, so that's why the Sox ditched him. Do we really want someone even worse (.239 career average) at DH?

Kenny will have many better options than Cust.