PDA

View Full Version : What if....?

NLaloosh
12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
The Sox sign Pods and Matsui to reasonable contracts. That would leave them with one backup infielder in Vizquel.

The lineup would be excellent but wouldn't that pose a problem? And, there wouldn't be much speed on this team. Would Ozzie be ok with that?

soltrain21
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
The Sox sign Pods and Matsui to reasonable contracts. That would leave them with one backup infielder in Vizquel.

The lineup would be excellent but wouldn't that pose a problem? And, there wouldn't be much speed on this team. Would Ozzie be ok with that?

That would mean Andruw Jones isn't on the team. And you'd have another backup infielder who is most likely speedy. It would essentially be a wash from last year.

soxyess
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Why do people here insist on resigning Pods. Get over it. He is a high risk signing. He has limited defensive skills, is old, brutal on the bases, injury prone, and can easily go bad next year. I suggest we look elsewhere. Matsui would be a quality bat in the lineup.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Seriously the idea of Pods re-signing has really soured on me. Let him get paid and play to his career average. Pods was great when he was with us last year but it's time to move on, again.

NLaloosh
12-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Why do people here insist on resigning Pods. Get over it. He is a high risk signing. He has limited defensive skills, is old, brutal on the bases, injury prone, and can easily go bad next year. I suggest we look elsewhere. Matsui would be a quality bat in the lineup.

It's not people on here that insist. It's Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen.

And, it's probably just because the White Sox won a lot more baseball games last year when Pods played versus when he didn't or something like that.

soltrain21
12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
It's not people on here that insist. It's Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen.

And, it's probably just because the White Sox won a lot more baseball games last year when Pods played versus when he didn't or something like that.

And you are getting this information from...?

Noneck
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Why do people here insist on resigning Pods.

Because he may be the most economically feasible leadoff hitter available.

Tragg
12-08-2009, 09:54 PM
He has limited defensive skills, is old, brutal on the bases, injury prone, and can easily go bad next year. I suggest we look elsewhere. Matsui would be a quality bat in the lineup.
Agree

Pablo_Honey
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Because he may be the most economically feasible leadoff hitter available.

That's what people were hoping he would be, but based on all the reports and comments from KW, he's demanding more than he should be getting. I would assume most people have moved on after hearing Pods' supposed high demand.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
That's what people were hoping he would be, but based on all the reports and comments from KW, he's demanding more than he should be getting. I would assume most people have moved on after hearing Pods' supposed high demand.

And who is available that you think will be more reasonable?

Pablo_Honey
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
And who is available that you think will be more reasonable?

I'm not Kenny, how would I know? :dunno: From what we've heard Kenny doesn't like Pods' price range so one can assume Kenny believes there are cheaper and/or safer options out there. I don't know enough about the market and each player's asking range to say for certain that there are. I'm just assuming there might be. As an aside, I got an uneasy feeling Kenny is considering either Alexei or Alexis to lead off.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm not Kenny, how would I know? :dunno: From what we've heard Kenny doesn't like Pods' price range so one can assume Kenny believes there are cheaper and/or safer options out there. I don't know enough about the market and each player's asking range to say for certain that there are. I'm just assuming there might be. As an aside, I got an uneasy feeling Kenny is considering either Alexei or Alexis to lead off.

Well back to original question "Why do people here insist on resigning Pods?" Because the other alternatives suck if you dont pay the price, unless Williams can turn water into wine.

NLaloosh
12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Getting back to me original post - is it ok to just have one backup infielder and 2-3 backup OFers ?

In other words do we need a Jayson Nix? Also, do we need any speed off the bench? Because, we don't get any with Kotsay, Jones, Vizquel, Matsui, Cust or these other guys.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Sweet lord what a terrible defense that would make.

PalehosePlanet
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Getting back to me original post - is it ok to just have one backup infielder and 2-3 backup OFers ?

In other words do we need a Jayson Nix? Also, do we need any speed off the bench? Because, we don't get any with Kotsay, Jones, Vizquel, Matsui, Cust or these other guys.

Personally, I like Jason Nix on our bench. Besides being a good base runner w/speed and a good 2B, I also like his bat in the lineup against lefties.

I think the key with Jason is how well can he back up 3B. I think he should be at least as good as Teahen defensively, which means that I would start him over Teahen against tough lefties or lefties that have historically given Mark trouble.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I think we are putting way too much stock on Pods because of a flashy comeback season he had last season. I want folks to push back a bit and remember how miserable he was for us 2006 forward.

Priority #1 still is a power hitting run producer.

russ99
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Unfortunately that belief is fairly common, due to how he played for us in 06 and 07, but I also believe Pods is a better option than the other questionable alternatives.

Those miserable seasons were due to one factor, his health. He should at least put those concerns to bed after last year and his new regimen.

Believe me, if the Sox got (or had) a guy like Ellsbury, Bourn or Figgins, we'd let the Pods talk drop real quick.

But if the alternative is Crisp with lesser numbers, similar health concerns and $2-3 more million in salary; or Pierre with his massive contract and fading skills, bringing back Pods doesn't seem so bad.

I'm of the mindset, that we should either bring Pods back or let Danks, Mitchell and DeAza battle it out this spring and spend the cash on a quality hitter.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately that belief is fairly common, due to how he played for us in 06 and 07, but I also believe Pods is a better option than the other questionable alternatives.

Believe me, if the Sox got (or had) a guy like Ellsbury, Bourn or Figgins, we'd let the Pods talk drop real quick.

But if the alternative is Crisp with lesser numbers, similar health concerns and $2-3 more million in salary; or Pierre with his massive contract and fading skills, bringing back Pods doesn't seem so bad.
Crisp is sure to make less than Pods.

russ99
12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Crisp is sure to make less than Pods.

Nope - word is Crisp wants $3-4.5M a season, and since there's 5 teams after him he'll probably get it.

Pods certainly would come back for less, but the sticking point with Kenny is the extra year.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Nope - word is Crisp wants $3-4M a season, and since there's 5 teams after him he'll probably get it.

Pods certainly would come back for less, but the sticking point with Kenny is the extra year.
I've seen no reports that say Pods would come back for less. If Crisp checks out with our sterling medical staff, he's absolutely worth more than Pods. He's a great defender and baserunner, two skills Pods lacks. Crisp is also young and still developing. If he checks out health-wise, he'd be a viable option for this team -- provided that we target a power-hitting player in a Jenks trade.

russ99
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I've seen no reports that say Pods would come back for less. If Crisp checks out with our sterling medical staff, he's absolutely worth more than Pods. He's a great defender and baserunner, two skills Pods lacks. Crisp is also young and still developing. If he checks out health-wise, he'd be a viable option for this team -- provided that we target a power-hitting player in a Jenks trade.

Pods is two and a half years older. Crisp is 30, not a young and developing player. That was 4 years ago in Cleveland.

Defensively his range is fairly close to Scott's with better instincts, but they both have very weak arms, not to mention those two surgeries this year.

Not sure what we're getting with Crisp that's so much better than Scott...

GAsoxfan
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM

If the money and years are even, I'd probably choose Crisp. He's definitely a much better defender. I haven't seen him play enough to comment on his baserunning. He gets caught stealing less than Pods, but he also steals fewer bases, so I guess he's less agressive (smarter?) on the basepaths.

I wouldn't classify Crisp as "young and developing" though. As a 30 year old, eight year vet, I think he's past the developing stage.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Pods is two and a half years older. Crisp is 30, not a young and developing player. That was 4 years ago in Cleveland.

Defensively his range is fairly close to Scott's with better instincts, but they both have very weak arms, not to mention those two surgeries this year.

Not sure what we're getting with Crisp that's so much better than Scott...
1. He's three and a half years older. His legs are oft-injured and his speed is slipping. Not sure what else he's got when you take away the speed factor.

2. Crisp is 30. He plays plus defense and his walk rate is improving. He's not a world beater by any means, but he's still refining his skills.

wassagstdu
12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Well back to original question "Why do people here insist on resigning Pods?" Because the other alternatives suck if you dont pay the price, unless Williams can turn water into wine.

Because only one stat matters: W