PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Crede for Weaver

ma-gaga
06-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Would you do this trade if you were the Sox GM?

Randar68
06-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Where is the option to trade Ray, Lee, Clayton and Jose to cut payroll enough for us to do anything as far as acquisitions?

ma-gaga
06-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Where is the option to trade Ray, Lee, Clayton and Jose to cut payroll enough for us to do anything as far as acquisitions?

I'm just looking for a "yes" or "no" vote here.

If I put in another option it would get _ALL_ the votes. I agree that the best deal for the Sox would be a multi-trade option. But I'm just curious how much you value Crede and/or Weaver.

Randar68
06-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

I'm just looking for a "yes" or "no" vote here.

If I put in another option it would get _ALL_ the votes. I agree that the best deal for the Sox would be a multi-trade option. But I'm just curious how much you value Crede and/or Weaver.

We have a grand total of 1 3B prospect in our organization, and he's major league ready. I don't think you trade him for someone who will be too expensive for us in a couple years anyways...let alone his attitude and this team's dislike of him...it's a time-bomb

RedPinStripes
06-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

We have a grand total of 1 3B prospect in our organization, and he's major league ready. I don't think you trade him for someone who will be too expensive for us in a couple years anyways...let alone his attitude and this team's dislike of him...it's a time-bomb
I agree. To hell with Weaver. I'll take him for Ray, Lee and K-layton though. And in my mind, that's not giving up too much. They can walk as far as I'm concerned.

hold2dibber
06-11-2002, 06:31 PM

An unproven 3B prospect as opposed to a proven, and improving, starting pitcher? I make the deal in a heart beat, although I would be sad to see Crede go. And as for the team's dislike of Weaver, he's the kind of guy you hate when he's on the other team, but love when he's on your team.

Randar68
06-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

An unproven 3B prospect as opposed to a proven, and improving, starting pitcher? I make the deal in a heart beat, although I would be sad to see Crede go. And as for the team's dislike of Weaver, he's the kind of guy you hate when he's on the other team, but love when he's on your team.

PLEASE tell me who plays 3rd everyday for us over the next five years, I am dying to hear this. On the flip side, you're giving that up for a #2 at best pitcher that will be making almost 10 million in 2 years....

Great plan, way to stay within the budget.....this isn't Monopoly, and we aren't in fairy land...

Daver
06-11-2002, 06:57 PM

PLEASE tell me who plays 3rd everyday for us over the next five years, I am dying to hear this. On the flip side, you're giving that up for a #2 at best pitcher that will be making almost 10 million in 2 years....

Great plan, way to stay within the budget.....this isn't Monopoly, and we aren't in fairy land...

I think Chris snopek is still floating around somewhere Randar....

Randar68
06-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by daver

If they want a Second baseman, they came to the right place!

BTW, I think Snopek is on the Chubs AAA roster...

palehosemike
06-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I agree with you Randar - lets take a #2 at best pitcher who will bolt out of Chicago once his contract is done and waste away a third base talent that could provide a solid presence at the corner for years to come.

BTW
Chris Snopek was picked up by the Cardinals this year. They had him at AAA Memphis and released him effective 05/20/02. He has not poped up anywhere else yet.

Wasn't he the minor league player of the year? Pitiful...

PHM

MisterB
06-11-2002, 09:26 PM

If they want a Second baseman, they came to the right place!

BTW, I think Snopek is on the Chubs AAA roster...

Greg Norton's still in the majors...

ma-gaga
06-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Randar, I agree with you. I'd much rather keep the kids than trade for a guy with a bad attitude. But Weaver isn't a rookie and has an idea on how to pitch, and is an inning eater. He could be very very good. And you'd have Weaver for this, plus two more years and that isn't too bad. Maybe there's a free-agent 3b that'll be available... I suppose if Reinsy wanted a star he could sign Rolen, but that's a long long shot.

God, that's a scary idea. Trade for Rolen/Weaver, give up Crede and ... someone else, don't know what Philly needs, and have a youngish studly 3b and a decent #2 pitcher to go with Burly.

Anyways, regarding Weaver. What do you think it'll take to pry him away from Detroit? Realistically. I have serious doubts that Carlos Lee would do it.

:)

Procol Harum
06-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by daver

LOL! :D:

palehosemike
06-11-2002, 11:25 PM
The Tigers want alot for hime - and from the Sox they will expect more - reason why? Lenny set a precedent when he handed over talent to the the Bucs for Ritchie..... take about a trade that comes back to bit ya in the butt so many different ways! :whiner:

harwar
06-12-2002, 09:04 AM

These are the only ones that make any sense.Trade salary for salary and dump guys your losing anyway.Especially,with the strike looming over the horizon.

hold2dibber
06-12-2002, 09:53 AM

I don't know who plays 3B for the next five years -- but I also don't know if Crede will be that guy, even if we keep him. He is an unknown commodity at the major league level; lots of guys with great minor league stats flop in the majors. My point is, I know that Weaver is a damn good major league pitcher, whereas I don't know if Crede will be a good major league third baseman. And with respect to Weaver's salary, I don't know what the budget is or what JR is willing to spend (he has opened up the coffers before, for Belle, Navarro and D. Wells, don't forget). Maybe the Tigers would be willing to pay some of his compensation. The media is reporting it as a possibility, not me. And if it is possible, I still think I'd do it.

TheBigHurt
06-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

Greg Norton's still in the majors...

really.... what team?

neal
06-12-2002, 10:32 AM
keep Crede, he's got so much potential

Cheryl
06-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Trade Crede--they don't seem to have a plan to use him on the Sox anyway.

Randar68
06-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Trade Crede--they don't seem to have a plan to use him on the Sox anyway.

IMO, the plan has become:

2003:
Crede at 3B (has no more options and has to be on the club for good next time he comes up or he becomes a FA)
Jose at SS
Harris at 2B

Clayton and Durham Walk as FA's...

Crede
Hummel at SS
Harris

Jose walks as a FA...

I think we may have seen things happen differently over the last month if there wasn't a work stoppage looming...

MisterB
06-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

really.... what team?

He's hitting .186 off the bench for Colorado.