PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons to leave ESPN

ChiSox89
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2009/12/gammons-ends-hall-of-fame-run-with-espn/

Rockabilly
12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I could see him going to the MLB network..

VeeckAsInWreck
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM

That'd be awesome if he did.

Despite the circumstances around it, I'm glad that Harold Reynolds is on MLB Network and not on ESPN.

I don't think I watched Baseball Tonight at all this year.

Rockabilly
12-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Despite the circumstances around it, I'm glad that Harold Reynolds is on MLB Network and not on ESPN.

The MLB Network talent is much better than the guys they have over at ESPN..

EMachine10
12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
The MLB Network talent is much better than the guys they have over at ESPN..
True.

If Gammons were to go to MLBN, I wonder if he would leave his Boston bias to ESPN? That's the beauty about MLBN - not much of a biasing opinion AT ALL.

ewokpelts
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
True.

If Gammons were to go to MLBN, I wonder if he would leave his Boston bias to ESPN? That's the beauty about MLBN - not much of a biasing opinion AT ALL.
there seems to be a bit of philly love.....esp with mitch williams

AZChiSoxFan
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Ditto.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM

To be honest, I think there's a bit but it's no different than George Brett talking about his Royals days when he's doing color for Fox or Mark Grace and the Cub talk. To me, that's different and expected with former players.

When Ravech sports wood talking about A Rod posing in a magazine or Big Poppi getting a 45 minute breakdown on his swing, there's a problem.

If Gammons goes to MLBN, I say welcome. I freaking love that channel.

tstrike2000
12-08-2009, 03:26 PM
He's leaving before all his mistresses come out of the woodwork.

I always liked Gammons, so hopefully we'll see him in a better venue.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
He's leaving before all his mistresses come out of the woodwork.

You owe me a cleaning reimbursement. I spit hot chocolate out and used my white sleeve to catch it. :angry::D:

Medford Bobby
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM

I wish Dish Network and MLB Network (i.e. MLB) would get their act together and get that channel on Dish!!:angry:

illini81887
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Peter Gammons to MLB Network per AP

roylestillman
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Peter Gammons to MLB Network per AP

This is great news

Bucky F. Dent
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM

:)

LoveYourSuit
12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I think ESPN should now go after our very own Fenway as his replacement, this way they still have a guy all things Red Sox and Boston.

LoveYourSuit
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
When is u-verse going to get the baseball network?

tstrike2000
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
You owe me a cleaning reimbursement. I spit hot chocolate out and used my white sleeve to catch it. :angry::D:

Sorry man. :D: Tell you what, since I'm in the general vicinity, I'll donate some money towards Snackville Junction.

TomC727
12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
It has been confirmed via MLB network facebook site that Gammons is joining MLB network.

I have always liked Gammons. I will be looking forward to watching him.

dickallen15
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It has been confirmed via MLB network facebook site that Gammons is joining MLB network.

I have always liked Gammons. I will be looking forward to watching him.
He'll also be working for NESN. Funny, I thought he always did.

Fenway
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
He'll also be working for NESN. Funny, I thought he always did.

This should of happened a year ago but ESPN exercised an option.

He will work for both networks out of NESN's HD facility just west of Boston.

http://www.nesn.com/2009/12/peter-gammons-to-join-nesn-and-nesncom-in-2010.html

SOXSINCE'70
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Could John Kruk and Curt Schilling be far behind??:D:

Brian26
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
This should of happened a year ago but ESPN exercised an option.

He will work for both networks out of NESN's HD facility just west of Boston.

http://www.nesn.com/2009/12/peter-gammons-to-join-nesn-and-nesncom-in-2010.html

Credit where credit is due, I believe you predicted this move about a year ago.

rdivaldi
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I would rather not have MLB Network becoming the ex-ESPN Baseball Analyst network. I might be paranoid, but I fear the New York/Boston influence overrunning what I consider to be a pretty balanced station. I will probably write the network another email praising them for their coverage and mention my reservations about "Boston" Gammons.

Brian26
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I would rather not have MLB Network becoming the ex-ESPN Baseball Analyst network. I might be paranoid, but I fear the New York/Boston influence overrunning what I consider to be a pretty balanced station. I will probably write the network another email praising them for their coverage and mention my reservations about "Boston" Gammons.

Gammons is a class act and has always been above that petty stuff. He admits he's a Red Sox fan, but he never has trouble giving other teams their due, as he did with the Sox after the 2005 WS win, basically calling their season and post-season run one of the three best in the history of baseball.

DaveFeelsRight
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
there seems to be a bit of philly love.....esp with mitch williamshe predicted the world series this year. even predicted the yankees winning it all.

Lundind1
12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I watched the hotstove edition of Baseball Tonight (yes I am sadistic) and they had a quick mention of the move and how he will be missed. Even with Gammons gone, it is still going to be the Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees and those other guys in LA worth mentioning station.

Things won't change there. Hopefully the great programming and unbiased reporting that MLBN is doing won't change either.

Fenway
12-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Credit where credit is due, I believe you predicted this move about a year ago.

It was no secret that Gammo was tired of the two hour drive to Bristol, CT from either Boston or his summer home on Cape Cod.

He told people when Bob Costas was signed by MLB that convinced him that the network would be fair from an editorial side. He could have left last year but since ESPN treated him so well after his illness he stayed for one more year.

NESN's studio show will now have 3 Hall of Famers in Eck, Rice and Gammons.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/12/09/end_of_era_at_espn/

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Sorry man. :D: Tell you what, since I'm in the general vicinity, I'll donate some money towards Snackville Junction.

I suppose. I'm out west now but appreciate the sentiment. :smile:

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Things won't change there. Hopefully the great programming and unbiased reporting that MLBN is doing won't change either.

The MLBN formula and its programming works. Even if you're a fan of one team only, when you turn it on, it's either LEAGUE news (which I enjoy listening to and watching), "classic" games or behind the scenes type of shows (love that show The Pen). They keep this up and they'll blow ESPN out of the water.....hopefully soon.

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The MLBN formula and its programming works. Even if you're a fan of one team only, when you turn it on, it's either LEAGUE news (which I enjoy listening to and watching), "classic" games or behind the scenes type of shows (love that show The Pen). They keep this up and they'll blow ESPN out of the water.....hopefully soon.

They can be the model for other leagues to start their own network with the variety of programing they put on. It is one of the thing that Bud did right, or at least got credit for.

Without Gammons, ESPN will fall to irrelevance to me except for Sunday Night baseball.

ewokpelts
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
So Gammons will be the NESN pre/post host?

or a jack of all trades guy?

One hing I like about MLB-N is the fact that the studio analysts rotate pretty frequently, with Harold in the mix most of the time. So you end up getting a lot of different views almost every day.

illini81887
12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
When is u-verse going to get the baseball network?
as soon as they can get MLB Extra Innings. While I like having U-Verse, their lack of having nba,mlb,nhl sports packages is disappointing

Whitesox029
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
At least now he can whinge on about the Red Sox at will.
Honestly, ESPN is dead to me. I'll watch Sunday Night Baseball, but that's about it from now on. Baseball Tonight isn't even a full half hour anymore, and they run NFL Live in the middle of the summer. It's clear where their priorities lie. For a hockey fan, it's even more useless. Even seeing a highlight is rare, and hearing Michael Wilbon talk about the Keith Ballard incident was like listening to Paris Hilton give her take on Swedish politics.

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
At least now he can whinge on about the Red Sox at will.
Honestly, ESPN is dead to me. I'll watch Sunday Night Baseball, but that's about it from now on. Baseball Tonight isn't even a full half hour anymore, and they run NFL Live in the middle of the summer. It's clear where their priorities lie. For a hockey fan, it's even more useless. Even seeing a highlight is rare, and hearing Michael Wilbon talk about the Keith Ballard incident was like listening to Paris Hilton give her take on Swedish politics.

But now that Versus has made the NHL games highly profitable, ESPN wants back in with a game or two a week. VS basically said "HA" to them. Without Gammons, BBT is now useless to me.

Viva Medias B's
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
This is great news

It would be great news for me if my cable provider (Wide Open West) would grow a brain and add MLB Network.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=gammons_peter&id=4734773

Lip

Fenway
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
So Gammons will be the NESN pre/post host?

or a jack of all trades guy?

One hing I like about MLB-N is the fact that the studio analysts rotate pretty frequently, with Harold in the mix most of the time. So you end up getting a lot of different views almost every day.

Gammo will work in rotation with Eck and Jim Rice in the pre and post game doing 50-60 games, plus the weekly recap show and blog on nesn.com as often as he wants.

He lives so close to Fenway in Brookline he can see the lights from his 'office'.

Sure he is a Red Sox fan...but he also roots for the 'story'. His love for the game at all levels is real. He will show up at Pawtucket, Lowell or Cape games just to observe.

I am lucky to know him going back to listening to bad rock bands in Cambridge in the 70's. He also loves hockey and in fact covered the NHL when he worked for SI the first time.

Before the internet he would order every newspaper in all MLB cities and pick them up daily at Out of Town News in Harvard Sq.

This will work out very well for everyone.

Brian26
12-11-2009, 09:56 PM

They already have, without a fight.