PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sox favs to win the Central next year?

Rockabilly
12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
With Detroit losing Polanco, Granderson and Jackson. KC & Clev nowhere close to being a contender.

I see the Central as a 2 team race with us and the Twins.

With our starting rotation I just don't seeing the Twins beating us.

esbrechtel
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM
The Twins will find a way to beat us.....

That said if they can't ink Mauer they might have trouble beating other teams...

Either way it is way too early to tell anyways...

12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
The Twins will find a way to beat us.....

That said if they can't ink Mauer they might have trouble beating other teams...

Either way it is way too early to tell anyways...

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! With the Twins moving to their outdoor stadium, no one knows what to expect. They will lose a significant part of their HFA, and hopefully 5-10 games.

Dibbs
12-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I think at best, we have equal odds with a couple other teams in the division.

dickallen15
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
White Sox starters ranked #2 in the AL in ERA in 2009 and the team wasn't .500. The division appears like it will be weak, but the Sox still need to upgrade the roster.

Waysouthsider
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know how we can screw it up this year.....The Tigers and Royals look way out of it already and I agree that the new stadum will definitely affect the losers in twinkieland....

That being said, the bullpen makes me nervous and I hope Rios starts to hit and CQ stays healthy!!!! :D:

beasly213
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
It's way to early to tell. The Sox still don't have a leadoff hitter or a DH. Also the number 5 starter hasn't been decided yet.

Corlose 15
12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I would wager that the Sox will be able to win outside in Minnesota better than they could inside.

Quentin and Rios bouncing back will go a long way to how this team performs this year. I would agree though at this point its a 2 team race because who knows if the Tigers are even done dealing.

thomas35forever
12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
It's hard to tell at this point. Given the current makeup of the team, I'd say no. Until proven otherwise, the Twins are the top team in the division. The Tigers obviously lost that title when they choked it away this past season and losing Granderson wouldn't help their case.

Corlose 15
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
It's hard to tell at this point. Given the current makeup of the team, I'd say no. Until proven otherwise, the Twins are the top team in the division. The Tigers obviously lost that title when they choked it away this past season and losing Granderson wouldn't help their case.

They're losing Polanco, Jackson, and Granderson.

spawn
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I'll wait until after the off-season to make any predictions.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I think we all know that the Indians are the favorites to win the division next year.

DumpJerry
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Also the number 5 starter hasn't been decided yet.
:garcia:
Huh?

TheOldRoman
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Considering we have Quentin and Rios in Leftcenter and Rightcenter, respectively, because we only have 2 OF, and would only bat 7 guys because we have no DH, I think our team is in trouble if the season starts tomorrow. Maybe they would let us play "leftfield out."

BadBobbyJenks
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I'll wait until after the off-season to make any predictions.

Yeah until we know what our own roster is going to look like, way too early to handicap the division.

Tragg
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
No, assuming the Twins and Tigs getno worse we still haven't improved 8 games

Rockabilly
12-08-2009, 03:15 PM

I think a full season of Peavy & Beckham and healthy season for Q will improve us by more than 8 games.

Also a better bench

g0g0
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Trusting that Kenny will pick up a few more bats I think it's very plausible that we win the Central. We didn't have Peavy most of the year and that right there should equal another 10-15 wins! :)

bunty_doghunter
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I would wager that the Sox will be able to win outside in Minnesota better than they could inside.

No bet. It would be hard to do anything else.

tstrike2000
12-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Impossible to predict first week of December.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm not like most people here. I don't say the worst just so I don't get crushed by the end of the season. The philosophy of "it can only get better than what I thought" is a stupid one. I go into the season thinking of how players SHOULD play, and if that happens we are definitely favorites with Quentin, Beckham, Alexei, Rios, and Peavy on the team.

We clinch in July.
:Rocker:

DickAllen72
12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It's way too early. But at this point in time, the way things stand right now, the favorite has to be the Twins. But it's way too early.....

Ranger
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM
White Sox starters ranked #2 in the AL in ERA in 2009 and the team wasn't .500. The division appears like it will be weak, but the Sox still need to upgrade the roster.

True, but the unearned runs had a lot to do with why the season worked out poorly. This team won't be as bad defensively as they were last year.

I don't know how we can screw it up this year.....The Tigers and Royals look way out of it already and I agree that the new stadum will definitely affect the losers in twinkieland....

That being said, the bullpen makes me nervous and I hope Rios starts to hit and CQ stays healthy!!!! :D:

Agree and disagree. The lineup will have a lot to do with CQ and Rios. But I'm not all that worried about the pen if Jenks stays or if they find a suitable replacement for him.

I think a full season of Peavy & Beckham and healthy season for Q will improve us by more than 8 games.

Also a better bench

Agreed. A full season of Beckham and another full season of Ramirez at SS will be significant. Also a full season of Rios in CF.

But, there are still a couple of things left to do...

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-08-2009, 04:54 PM
If Quentin and Rios can return to form, then I don't see why not. The Sox starting rotation is the strongest in the Central no doubt, only real question is the lineup and maybe the bullpen.

guillensdisciple
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
In my mind yes, but I say this every year.

Ranger
12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm not like most people here. I don't say the worst just so I don't get crushed by the end of the season. The philosophy of "it can only get better than what I thought" is a stupid one. I go into the season thinking of how players SHOULD play, and if that happens we are definitely favorites with Quentin, Beckham, Alexei, Rios, and Peavy on the team.

We clinch in July.

Wish more people took this level-headed approach. Some people just love to be the one that gets to say "I told you so." Or some people just hate to be disappointed so they expect the worst anyway.

It's way too early. But at this point in time, the way things stand right now, the favorite has to be the Twins. But it's way too early.....

I don't think they (the Twins) have a stronger rotation 1 through 5. And while it was pointed out that the Sox starters' ERA was second in the AL last year, it doesn't tell you that the 4th and 5th spot in the rotations were, at best, iffy. The Sox should go into next season with a legitimate chance to win every game, because of their staff alone. Last year, they had a good chance to win in 3 of 5 games.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Because of the 1984 team that was predicted to walk away with the division because of supposedly weak and rebuilding teams, I cannot ever assume anything, even if there were four other 2003 DET teams in the division..

As the 1984 White Sox had glaring weaknesses that were overlooked, the 2010 White Sox need to make some improvements in personnel and performace from the holdovers.

Adding a lead-off hitter like Pods or Crisp or a DH like Matsui are good beginnings, but they need to show up and play too.

Remember, there are surprise players, and teams every year that jump out of nowhere.........

Noneck
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
If this team doesn't address a leadoff hitter and another outfielder with a strong stick, the starting rotation is a waste. Remember so far the Sox have lost, Pods, Thome, Dye and Getz and gained Rios, Teahen, Jones, Kotsay and Vizquel. If they think that adding Peavy and Garcia is enough to compensate for their offensive loss, they will be sadly mistaken. And I am not convinced their defense has improved much either.

NLaloosh
12-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd bet my money on the Sox right now.

I won a lot of money in 2005.

Of course, I lost some in 2006.

ChiSox81
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I would say so. We have the best rotation and I expect guys like Rios and Q to have much better seasons offensively.

twinsuck
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM

We clinch in July.
:hawk
"Hell yes!!!"

JB98
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Way, way too early to know. As of right now, we suck. Offseason is far from over, though.

chisoxfanatic
12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
As long as the bullpen does its job, there's a good chance in them winning the division.

12-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Also a better bench

Not to mention getting luckier. We blew more late inning leads than we came back from. If we reverse that trend, a few bounces here and there, and that alone could make a 10 game swing in the standings.

Rohan
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
And here I was thinking that we're the favorite EVERY year.

DSpivack
12-09-2009, 12:26 AM
As long as the bullpen does its job, there's a good chance in them winning the division.

My biggest concern is the offense and the defense. I think the pitching staff will be fine.

Soxman219
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
There is no reason why we shouldn't win the Central next year. KW still better be shopping around looking to improve this team.

guillensdisciple
12-09-2009, 03:20 AM
My question is always whether we can win the World Series or not. Winning the Division is great and all, but it's the championship that I care about.

Right now, we are not championship quality. Kenny needs to add some strength to our line- up and we will have something to cheer about.

I want to see another parade in Chicago for the Sox- the last one I did not get to attend.

Balfanman
12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
We also need to find a way to prevent Buehrle from throwing a no hitter, or worse yet a perfect game. That seems to always ruin our season.

:tongue:

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Remember, there are surprise players, and teams every year that jump out of nowhere.........

2005 White Sox!

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I have to say, never have any expectations of the year. I know going into 2007, the Sox were expected to be a 90+ win team again. Injuries and a horrible bullpen sunk that ship. 2008 was supposed to be the land of the lost, but we won the division. 2009 was what everyone thought it was going to be. You just can never tell.

I need another bullpen guy or two, a lead-off hitter, and a DH. I don't see any of these thing happening other than the bullpen guys.

whitem0nkey
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Chuck Garfien thinks the White Sox are getting better, because the rest of the Central is getting worse.

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

pythons007
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
We also need to find a way to prevent Buehrle from throwing a no hitter, or worse yet a perfect game. That seems to always ruin our season.

:tongue:

Isn't that pathetic? You really didn't need to include the teal because its true.

chisoxfanatic
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
My biggest concern is the offense and the defense. I think the pitching staff will be fine.
I specifically highlighted the bullpen, because I thought our strength last season was starting pitching, but the bullpen blew so many games for them. The pen really needs to get its act together, and I'm hoping Jenks is not traded, because then that opens up another question mark with who will be the set-up man if Thornton must close.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Chuck Garfien thinks the White Sox are getting better, because the rest of the Central is getting worse.

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

Which is scarry because it might only take 80 wins to win this division.

I hope the Sox are shooting for bigger things than just winning the AL Central crown.

Balfanman
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I specifically highlighted the bullpen, because I thought our strength last season was starting pitching, but the bullpen blew so many games for them. The pen really needs to get its act together, and I'm hoping Jenks is not traded, because then that opens up another question mark with who will be the set-up man if Thornton must close.

While I agree that that bullpen was far from lights out in 2009 I would stop short of saying that they blew too many games for the starters. I think that you need to factor in that the bullpen was under pressure most every game to give up absolutely nothing because our offense for the most part was....well......offensive. JMHO.

Domeshot17
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
We should stop carrying about division titles and worry about if we can win a world series.

TommyJohn
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
We should stop carrying about division titles and worry about if we can win a world series.Amen. I don't want a "scrappy" team that can bink, bunt and run past the Twins. We see how well that Twins Central "Dynasty" does in the playoffs. I want to see them win the whole damn thing. And I'm not buying anyone who says that they would be happy if the Sox went on a run like the Twins or Braves. Bull****. If the Sox made the playoffs every year only to get dumped in three or four, many would be raging that Kenny and Ozzie are too stupid and Reinsdorf is too cheap to get the one or two players needed to put them over the hump. I don't look down my nose at others as I write this. I would be unhappy, too. I want them to win every year. I would NOT be satisfied with three or four straight division titles and first round KOs. Ask any Cub fan how much they loved those back-to-back division titles.

DSpivack
12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Amen. I don't want a "scrappy" team that can bink, bunt and run past the Twins. We see how well that Twins Central "Dynasty" does in the playoffs. I want to see them win the whole damn thing. And I'm not buying anyone who says that they would be happy if the Sox went on a run like the Twins or Braves. Bull****. If the Sox made the playoffs every year only to get dumped in three or four, many would be raging that Kenny and Ozzie are too stupid and Reinsdorf is too cheap to get the one or two players needed to put them over the hump. I don't look down my nose at others as I write this. I would be unhappy, too. I want them to win every year. I would NOT be satisfied with three or four straight division titles and first round KOs. Ask any Cub fan how much they loved those back-to-back division titles.

The Sox are not currently a team that wins the division year in and year out. If they did that, it'd be an improvement on their current performance. I wouldn't be upset if that happened.

Lundind1
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Winning a division title every year would at least get you a shot at the WS. They say that once you get in, all bets are off. I think it would be fun to have a perennial 95 win team. At least we would fill the park by our logic of "we support winning".

Thatguyoverthere
12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
We should stop carrying about division titles and worry about if we can win a world series.Amen. I'm not going to be happy if we end up squeaking by in a ****ty division only to get pummeled in the first round of the playoffs. With this rotation, I want to go for it all. World Series or bust.

EndemicSox
12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Well, the playoffs will always be a crap-shoot of sorts, so winning the division is pretty important. I think most national publications will pick the Tigers or Twins to win the division, just a hunch, but that doesn't mean much. A rotation filled with the talent the WhiteSox have is certainly a threat to win the division AND the world series.

Ranger
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
We should stop carrying about division titles and worry about if we can win a world series.

Winning a division title every year would at least get you a shot at the WS. They say that once you get in, all bets are off. I think it would be fun to have a perennial 95 win team. At least we would fill the park by our logic of "we support winning".

Amen. I'm not going to be happy if we end up squeaking by in a ****ty division only to get pummeled in the first round of the playoffs. With this rotation, I want to go for it all. World Series or bust.

Who cares if you get in by winning a cruddy division? Still counts. And for as many teams that advance past the first round after winning a cruddy division, there are teams that win 95+ games and get rolled in the LDS [2008 Angels, 2006 Yankees, 2006 Twins, 2007 Cubs, 2007 Angels (only won 94 games, but still a very good team that got swept in the ALDS)]. You just don't ever know. Too much unexpected stuff happens during the postseason.

All that matters is getting there, really. Win the division first, then see what happens.

Domeshot17
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Who cares if you get in by winning a cruddy division? Still counts. And for as many teams that advance past the first round after winning a cruddy division, there are teams that win 95+ games and get rolled in the LDS [2008 Angels, 2006 Yankees, 2006 Twins, 2007 Cubs, 2007 Angels (only won 94 games, but still a very good team that got swept in the ALDS)]. You just don't ever know. Too much unexpected stuff happens during the postseason.

All that matters is getting there, really. Win the division first, then see what happens.

Ive always disagreed with this. How many times would the 2008 White Sox win the world series if it was played out 100 times? Just build a great team instead of rolling the dice. Yes, are the playoffs a bit of a game of chance, for sure. Does it mean we should keep hoping our 87 win teams can win the central and MAYBE get hot, no. Especially when your GM talks about championship teams every year.

munchman33
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM

It's not as much of crapshoot as you make it seem. Sometimes the better team loses, but not when there's gaping talent discrepencies. The popular retort is that Cards team in '06. People forget they had a bad record because of injuries during the regular season. That same team won 100 games in '05.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
It's not as much of crapshoot as you make it seem. Sometimes the better team loses, but not when there's gaping talent discrepencies. The popular retort is that Cards team in '06. People forget they had a bad record because of injuries during the regular season. That same team won 100 games in '05.
The 2005 White Sox won 99 games but were only .500 against teams not in the NL or AL Central, so perhaps if they were in the AL East or West, they might not have even made the playoffs. I will take winning the divison every time, but I do agree the goal should be to make the team as strong as possible, not just good enough to compete for the division title.

munchman33
12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
The 2005 White Sox won 99 games but were only .500 against teams not in the NL or AL Central, so perhaps if they were in the AL East or West, they might not have even made the playoffs. I will take winning the divison every time, but I do agree the goal should be to make the team as strong as possible, not just good enough to compete for the division title.

You really think our '05 squad would have lost the East that year? I don't agree.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
You really think our '05 squad would have lost the East that year? I don't agree.

You never know. Against the AL East and AL West, they were a .500 team. The sample size is relatively small, but the Sox won because they destroyed their division.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
You never know. Against the AL East and AL West, they were a .500 team. The sample size is relatively small, but the Sox won because they destroyed their division.

If you told me the Sox again would be .500 against the AL East and West, but destroy the Central, I would be exceedingly pleased.

dickallen15
12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
If you told me the Sox again would be .500 against the AL East and West, but destroy the Central, I would be exceedingly pleased.
Considering how the schedule is unbalanced, its an excellent formula.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Just get in to the playoffs. Just do it. You never know who is going to get hot at what time. 2005, the Stros had to do a ton just to get to the WS.

I think the move today might begin the process of changing my vote for the Sox to favor this coming year. Just a few more moves and we might really have something here.

everafan
12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Quentin is the key - if he is like 08 Quentin then the Sox will run away. If not, we need another big bat.

Ranger
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Ive always disagreed with this. How many times would the 2008 White Sox win the world series if it was played out 100 times? Just build a great team instead of rolling the dice. Yes, are the playoffs a bit of a game of chance, for sure. Does it mean we should keep hoping our 87 win teams can win the central and MAYBE get hot, no. Especially when your GM talks about championship teams every year.

Well, of course I want the most talented team they can put together. Who doesn't? But there are plenty of times the better team loses...especially in baseball. Obviously, the better team on paper is the team you'd like to have going in, but there are far too many "upsets" in baseball playoffs to dismiss "anything can happen". Take 2008, for example. There were 4 (arguably 5) of the other 7 teams that were better than the Phillies.

The point is that you should look forward to having a division-winning club regardless of how few wins that club has or how bad the division is. Anything really can happen, and often does.

Corlose 15
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Quentin is the key - if he is like 08 Quentin then the Sox will run away. If not, we need another big bat.

Quentin and Rios are the keys IMO. Those two combined with Dye's utter collapese in the 2nd half were huge drains on the offense. If those two bounce back to previous levels of performance, and KW can find a solid power hitter for the DH spot, *cough* MATSUI! *cough*, then I think the offense bounces back.

Jurr
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I like this current situation a WHOLE lot better than the last couple going in. Offense is contagious, as is the approach to the offense. There's going to be a lot more speed in the lineup by default, and this will help Ozzie get away from the station to station doldrums this team has been bogged down with since '06.

The premium is back on pitching and defense, and that's a good thing. Give Rios a fresh start, you have a super sub in Kotsay, and we're one more hitter (Matsui would be ideal) away from being fairly loaded.

Kenny is hot right now. Keep it up, and this season could be special.