View Full Version : Sox agree to three-year deal with Teahen

Sockinchisox
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox/status/6470197266

russ99
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox/status/6470197266

Good news, but what are the numbers?

He was at $3.75M this year and was expected to hit 4-5 in arb, minus the $1M the Sox got in the KC deal.

Hopefully the salary doesn't escalate until year 2 & 3 giving Kenny some more wiggle room this offseason.

DirtySox
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Hopefully the monetary amount comes out soon.

Now I understand what Teahen's earlier tweet was about.

Sockinchisox
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Hopefully the monetary amount comes out soon.

Now I understand what Teahen's earlier tweet was about.

Haha, yeah I saw that tweet earlier and was confused as well.

Edit: It's a three year 14 million dollar deal.

Rockabilly
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Haha, yeah I saw that tweet earlier and was confused as well.

Edit: It's a three year 14 million dollar deal.

that seems like a fair deal.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
that seems like a fair deal.

Until we realize in October 2010 that he ripped us off and will be locked into Teahan for three more years.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
So Teahen's getting just under 5 million a year? Hope he's worth it.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I feel bad for Mark, as the picture on the white sox website only has him in the background as Mike Jacobs returns from a homerun.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I feel bad for Mark, as the picture on the white sox website only has him in the background as Mike Jacobs returns from a homerun.

I wouldn't feel bad for a guy who will make nearly $5 million to strike out 125 times and hit about eight HR's for the season.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't feel bad for a guy who will make nearly $5 million to strike out 125 times and hit about eight HR's for the season.

Here's hoping that stat is wrong come the 2010 season.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM

I see that you're a big proponent of the "wait and see" approach.

cleanwsox
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
$3.75 million in 2010, $4.75 million in 2011 and $5.5 million in 2012.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/12/sox_sign_teahen_to_a_three-yea.html

munchman33
12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow. They locked him in for less than what he would have gotten in arbitration. Security must mean a lot for him.

oeo
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Until we realize in October 2010 that he ripped us off and will be locked into Teahan for three more years.

Three years means the contract will be up after 2012.

But you would like to see Jake Fox as our everyday DH? :lol:

soxfanreggie
12-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Locked for two more years after October 2010.

Looks like we did get a little bit of flexibility this year with it being slightly backloaded. He may want security of making over $20 million in his MLB career. He's sitting at about $7.7 million in career earnings after considering his draft signing bonus. This would push him to $20+ million. Between those earnings and his MLB pension, he should be more than set for life.

voodoochile
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM

LOL, even if he only matches his numbers for the past few years, he's worth that much money. If he improves, he's a steal. He should improve playing at the Cell...

voodoochile
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow. They locked him in for less than what he would have gotten in arbitration. Security must mean a lot for him.

His grandchildren never have to work a day in their lives. Yeah, that's worth the potentially lost money.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Well if this counts in the 20m that is supposedly available.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-08-white-sox-chicago-dec08,0,2932104.story

Junk yard shopping ahead.

Waysouthsider
12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I think this looks like a fair deal...I'm a little surprised at the length of the contract.....I thought they'd go for two years max...

russ99
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
$3.75 million in 2010, $4.75 million in 2011 and $5.5 million in 2012.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/12/sox_sign_teahen_to_a_three-yea.html

That's more like it. And the Royals gave us $1M in the trade, so his effective salary next year is $2.75.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
They had Getz for 3years real cheap. Probably about 1m. Now that deal is costing the Sox 13m over 3 years and that money is hamstringing the window of opportunity of having the Big 4. I don't like it. They should have went to arbitration and used the extra money for the needs they have for next year.

spawn
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Well if this counts in the 20m that is supposedly available.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-08-white-sox-chicago-dec08,0,2932104.story

Junk yard shopping ahead.
As has been mentioned, he would've gotten more in arbitration.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
As has been mentioned, he would've gotten more in arbitration.

For 1 year only.

soxfanreggie
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
For 1 year only.

And you know he wouldn't have commanded more in future years how?

munchman33
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
And you know this how?

Well, because after that he'd be free agent?

Noneck
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
And you know he wouldn't have commanded more in future years how?

You worry about that at that time. This is no budding superstar (Beckham) , who you want to lock up for years to come. You worry about a year at a time with players like this and try to put the best possible team on the field for next year with the current Sox starting rotation.

tstrike2000
12-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Decent salary as long as he can stay around his career numbers or hopefully better for the next few years. Not too expensive considering the alternatives.

bunty_doghunter
12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
For 1 year only.
If his stock is going up, this is a better deal for us than Teahen. If not, :(:

Sargeant79
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
You worry about that at that time. This is no budding superstar (Beckham) , who you want to lock up for years to come. You worry about a year at a time with players like this and try to put the best possible team on the field for next year with the current Sox starting rotation.

You just argued against your own point. You worry about his '11 and '12 dollars later. Structuring his contract this way now allows the Sox to have more flexibility this year.

Noneck
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
You just argued against your own point. You worry about his '11 and '12 dollars later. Structuring his contract this way now allows the Sox to have more flexibility this year.

Hope they look at it that way.

spawn
12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
If his stock is going up, this is a better deal for us than Teahen. If not, :(:
If not, he won't be as difficult to trade. It's pretty reasonable.

bunty_doghunter
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
If not, he won't be as difficult to trade. it's pretty reasonable.
I was thiking from his point of view. If I was confident of my future skills I would rather have one year for more money than three starting with a discount.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Cool. We have the hardest pieces to find in the infield locked up for a while. AJ is important, but replaceable. With $ or prospects, 1st baseman's are everywhere. Signing Konerko for an extension would be cool. As long as he isn't overpaid again.

I like this. Teahen is a good player, no matter how much people consistently only post his negative stats. All I know is this team doesn't really have many "automatic outs" anymore. Do they at all? Let's see who we get for our remaining two spots... So far everyone's not an experiment. :D:

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
LOL, even if he only matches his numbers for the past few years, he's worth that much money. If he improves, he's a steal. He should improve playing at the Cell...

Bear in mind he will not be facing the White Sox 19 times a year.

Decent salary as long as he can stay around his career numbers or hopefully better for the next few years. Not too expensive considering the alternatives.

If he does that he will be below-average as a 3B. I think KW is counting on him to be the 20-90 guy KC hoped he would be.

Daver
12-08-2009, 05:30 PM

If he does that he will be below-average as a 3B. I think KW is counting on him to be the 20-90 guy KC hoped he would be.

Basing position by offensive performance makes absolutely no sense.

HangWiffum
12-08-2009, 05:46 PM

yep and for 4 mil a year more we could have had a legit leadoff hitter. now we're locked in to him and Rios for lots of money for 2 bad ballplayers.

Craig Grebeck
12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't get this at all.

voodoochile
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
yep and for 4 mil a year more we could have had a legit leadoff hitter. now we're locked in to him and Rios for lots of money for 2 bad ballplayers.

We're doomed... DOOMED do you read me... DOOOMMMMMMED...:rolleyes:

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 07:25 PM
But you would like to see Jake Fox as our everyday DH? :lol:

I don't believe I ever said I would want Fox as my first pick to be our 2010 DH, as I certainly would prefer other alternatives.

But when you hear these stories about the team not having any money, Fox at 400K is not a bad option because he can play several positions, though none especially well.

russ99
12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I think KW is counting on him to be the 20-90 guy KC hoped he would be.

I don't think that at all. I think Kenny wants him to be a 40-double hitter and hit around .285 and be a tough out with some skill running the bases.

We've missed a guy like that the last few years. I'm not sure anyone one thinks Teahen can be a prolific slugger, though at the Cell, 20 HRs is certainly possible, but I'd trade that for 50 doubles.

russ99
12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
2010 Payroll spreadsheet update: (post Teahen signing)

Current 25 man roster = all currently signed players (incl. Viciedo) + estimates for avoiding arb for remaining eligibles + sub $1M players to round out the roster with Dye & MacDougal 2010 buyouts:

Total: $100,050,000

Arb estimates: Jenks:$7.5, Quentin $5, Danks $4.5, Pena: $1.5, Carrasco $.75; Sub $1M players: Beckham, Nix, Flowers, Hudson, Williams

Current Obligations before arb $78,800,000 (no salary added in for arb players, or sub $1M players)

If the "$20M left" quote can be believed - Estimated budget: $98,800,000 - $102,000,000.

We're still going to need to deal a salary to add one, unless Jerry's very flexible this year.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't think that at all. I think Kenny wants him to be a 40-double hitter and hit around .285 and be a tough out with some skill running the bases.

We've missed a guy like that the last few years. I'm not sure anyone one thinks Teahen can be a prolific slugger, though at the Cell, 20 HRs is certainly possible, but I'd trade that for 50 doubles.

When did he say this? KW mentioned power-potential and defense when he talks about Teahan.

Maggs and JD are the only White Sox players to hit over 40 two-baggers since The Cell was reconfigured. Teahan is nowhere near the hitter they were.

I also can't see Teahan, at least intially, getting the AB's to hit over 40. I can't see him batting higher than sixth or seventh.

Hey, I hope the guy proves me wrong. But I will not hold my breath.

pearso66
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I was thiking from his point of view. If I was confident of my future skills I would rather have one year for more money than three starting with a discount.

He also has to consider injury. If he gets hurt this year and his career is over, he gets $14 mil. If he doesn't sign this and gets hurt, he gets what, 3-4 mil?

Jim Shorts
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Current 25 man roster = all currently signed players (incl. Viciedo) + estimates for avoiding arb for remaining eligibles + sub $1M players to round out the roster with Dye & MacDougal 2010 buyouts:

Arb estimates: Jenks:$7.5, Quentin $5, Danks $4.5, Pena: $1.5, Carrasco $.75; Sub $1M players: Beckham, Nix, Flowers, Hudson, Williams

Current Obligations before arb $78,800,000 (no salary added in for arb players, or sub $1M players)

If the "$20M left" quote can be believed - Estimated budget: $98,800,000 - $102,000,000.

We're still going to need to deal a salary to add one, unless Jerry's very flexible this year.

Good post that sparked a couple of questions....

Would Quentin missing the last month of 08 and a large percentage of 09 have an effect on his arb stance? My logic would say it would, but that's not necessarily baseball logic.

Why would you put Quentin as receiving more than Danks in arb? Just curious.

I can see Jerry buying into the window of opportunity due to the starting staff, but I don't see him being as flexible starting the new season with this economy. I also think Kenny can sell it if the "right" deal came along though (whatever that is). Hell, Kenny got Jerry to pull the trigger twice last year.

That said, I'm not surprised to see the budget numbers being slightly higher than predicted. I also suspect it has a really good opportunity to go up if the cards fall the right way.

soxtalker
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Interesting move.

Most of the debate so far has centered on whether this was a good move and/or for appropriate money. KW must think he's likely worth having around (for this salary) for 3 years. But what does this say about the 2 third basemen in the upper minors? I was thinking that Teahen was a stopgap for one year. Obviously, that isn't the case. Are those guys likely to be trade material now?

shes
12-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Ok then: to this point, he's an average big league player at best, with a small, though not entirely unlikely, chance at becoming an above-average to good player as he enters his "prime" years of age 28-31.

Is that worth a 3/14 contract? I think it's a toss-up. I will politely wait a little while before I become either discouraged or enthralled with Teahen.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Really? Is 3B not regarded as an offensive position? And 1B too?

Teahan looks to be about as productive of a 3B as Greg Norton was.

Problem is, we didn't have to pay him $14 million to display an iron glove, strike out a bunch, and hit meaningless solo HR's a few times a year.

Daver
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Really? Is 3B not regarded as an offensive position? And 1B too?

To judge any position based on offense is foolish.

voodoochile
12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
To judge any position based on offense is foolish.

Even first base? :scratch:

There is plenty of history of baseball where certain positions are considered offense first positions.3B is about 4th on the list of them, IMO. I'd rate offense determining who plays a position in order of acceptablity/importance roughly:

1B
LF
Rf
3B
2B
CF
SS
C
P

I'd actually bump CF above 2B personally, but that's a pretty standard layout for what positions are decided in terms of offensive output over defense.

tm1119
12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Good read about the deal on fangraphs- http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/mark-teahens-curious-deal

Overall, you cant really complain about the deal. Teahen was going to get this kind of money in arbitration regardless. Its really a low risk high reward deal for us because if Teahen performs above expectations then we will actually have a cheap player on our hands compared to what he would have gotten in arbitration raises. The only way someone can complain about this deal is if they feel Teahen is not worth guaranteed money and is a non-tender candidate down the line.

DirtySox
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
A good read. Thanks.

Dub25
12-09-2009, 12:02 AM
So once again KW is in a hurry to give an extention to a player that is yet to play a game with the Sox but yet there is no money. Teahen would not have been eligible to be a FA until after 2011 but lets hurry up and give him an extention? He did this with MacDouchebag, from KC and he sucked. He also traded for Andrew Sisco from KC, who sucked. Thankfully he didn't give him an extention but he did do it with others who sucked. When will he learn that if a guy can't cut it with KC then why would he be good here?

DSpivack
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
So once again KW is in a hurry to give an extention to a player that is yet to play a game with the Sox but yet there is no money. Teahen would not have been eligible to be a FA until after 2011 but lets hurry up and give him an extention? He did this with MacDouchebag, from KC and he sucked. He also traded for Andrew Sisco from KC, who sucked. Thankfully he didn't give him an extention but he did do it with others who sucked. When will he learn that if a guy can't cut it with KC then why would he be good here?

What about Teahen said he couldn't cut it with the Royals? He was a regular there for years. And the Sox probably saved money in the short-term, if not the long-term as well, with this deal. I really don't see the objection to extending Teahen's contract. I do understand criticisms of the trade itself, Getz isn't a bad player.

Pablo_Honey
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM

To be fair, MacDougal was FILTHY down the line after being traded to us. It was a risky move that backfired nastily but it made sense at the time. Our 2006 bullpen was a disasterpiece and MacDougal and Thornton were the only bright spots down the stretch. I do agree the whole KC-reject obsession is very annoying but Kenny probably means well. Teahen got an extension to save money for us and going arb would have cost us more next year. I think Kenny is hoping we can contend by the time some of these backloaded contracts start to look expensive.

PennStater98r
12-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah - he'll be facing KC 19 times a year. I'd think his stock goes up due to that little fact - not to mention that your point is completely silly. Sure he hit the Sox in the past, but this is a White Sox team with Peavy, Mark, Floyd and Danks...

kittle42
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah - he'll be facing KC 19 times a year. I'd think his stock goes up due to that little fact - not to mention that your point is completely silly. Sure he hit the Sox in the past, but this is a White Sox team with Peavy, Mark, Floyd and Danks...

Exactly. Career stats vs. a team mean nothing with all the turnover in sports.

Hitmen77
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM

If the arb eligible salaries alone put us at our estimated budget limit, then that is a problem since we still have two huge holes in the lineup to fill (RF and DH).

PennStater98r
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Exactly. Career stats vs. a team mean nothing with all the turnover in sports.

Wow kittle - I think this is the first time in a long time that we've agreed on something :)

soxinem1
12-15-2009, 02:17 PM

You are only disecting a small point about my opinions regarding Teahan.

He should have never been acquired, but to give any type of extension to a light-hitting scrub to avoid arbitration is silly.

At any rate, since you think Teahan was such a great pickup, enjoy his .254 8 HR, 58 RBI, 125K, 25 E season in 2010, (that is, if he doesn't get benched first).

voodoochile
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
You are only disecting a small point about my opinions regarding Teahan.

He should have never been acquired, but to give any type of extension to a light-hitting scrub to avoid arbitration is silly.

At any rate, since you think Teahan was such a great pickup, enjoy his .254 8 HR, 58 RBI, 125K, 25 E season in 2010, (that is, if he doesn't get benched first).

:cleo
"If you can learn to type that in an island accent, you will become rich beyond your wildest dreams, Mon..."

TDog
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Even first base? :scratch:....

First base often has been considered an offensive position because you could get away with a less skilled fielder at first. First basemen didn't have to run, and if they were big, they could serve as a good target for throws. There have been some hitters who were stuck in left field because they had to play somewhere and in left field they would hurt the team less than if they played anywhere else, especially when there is/was no DH. On the White Sox, left field has been the home to a few Carloses (Carlos May, Carlos Lee, Carlos Quentin) who were in the game for their bats. Carlos May also spent time at first base.

But that doesn't mean a first baseman or left fielder must hit. It depends on the dynamics of the team. You may be able to put together a strong lineup without a stereotypical first baseman (which is something the White Sox have). Mike Squires with the White Sox and Wes Parker with the Dodgers were defensive specialists at first base who weren't in the game because of their bats. If you depend on your pitching to win and you have a pitching staffthat generates a lot of ground balls, you are going to want stronger defense at third than if you have a slugging lineup that blows a lot of teams away.

On the White Sox, strong defense at third base is probably more important than it is on most other teams. Whether they get enough offenseoverall is always a big question, but I don't see management sacrificing defense at the position because it is a classic offensive position.