PDA

View Full Version : Great Video of Disco Demolition

WhiteSox5187
12-08-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98PcPvS-54

Really interesting to see Jimmy's take on it as it all unfolded, also interesting to wonder where exactly Harry was! But for me the most interesting part of this is how the pitcher and the catcher (and possibly Kessinger) actually start to warm up as there are fans mulling around the OF!

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Why do people keep dragging this subject up? Not exactly a high point in Sox history.

WhiteSox5187
12-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Why do people keep dragging this subject up? Not exactly a high point in Sox history.

I'm not saying it's a high point, but it's interesting to see the reaction at the time. Especially for people like me who were born after it happened.

russ99
12-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Well it isn't a high point in Sox history, but it was Bill Veeck's most reknowned and least successful promotion. Arguably, Eddie Gaedel had more impact on the game's history.

And being one of the idiot burnout kids at the time (not in attendance), it has some sentimental value for us, i.e. the good ole days.

Besides, that team was so bad, that forfeit made zero difference, baseball wise, not that it was a good thing.

TommyJohn
12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Why do people keep dragging this subject up? Not exactly a high point in Sox history.Dude, like, the White Cubs were already embarrassing, dude. So don't take that out on us. We just wanted to show that disco sucked. Aw, dude.

I have actually seen that excuse bandied about- "The team was already embarrassing!" Yeah, and what is the point? That it excuses people making idiots of themselves?

SI1020
12-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I was so upset about that fiasco and the state of the team in general that I wrote a letter to Sun Times sportswriter Bill Gleason. Shortly after, Gleason wrote a column that did not address my letter directly, but had enough in it to show me he definitely had read it. I suspect my letter was not the only one he was responding to.

tebman
12-08-2009, 09:19 AM
The best part of that video is when Gleason states that there are 2800 people on the field.

Huh?

:teach:

all*star quentin
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Really interesting to see Jimmy's take on it as it all unfolded, also interesting to wonder where exactly Harry was! But for me the most interesting part of this is how the pitcher and the catcher (and possibly Kessinger) actually start to warm up as there are fans mulling around the OF!

Very disturbing video.
Harry was known as the "Mayor of Rush Street" he and I were disco dancing at the local establishments:gulp:

downstairs
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Didn't Harry go down on the field to try to get people back in their seats?

I'm curious how edited this footage is, because I remember seeing other things happening between the records being blown up and coverage stopping.