PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on All-Star team, says Torre

CerberusWG
06-11-2002, 03:39 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20020611&content_id=50364&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Konerko is the latest to fall into that annual All-Star Black Hole, the miscast ballot. The White Sox frst-base rep on the ballot is Frank Thomas -- who has appeared a grand total of two times at the bag.

But not to worry. Konerko will be in Miller Park. Unlike the National League, the AL has a remedy for such oversights. It's called Designated Hitter.

Even if positional leader Jason Giambi and last summer's starter, John Olerud, attend the 73rd All-Star Game as the first basemen, manager Joe Torre will add Konerko's bat at DH.

zach23
06-11-2002, 03:41 PM
It's in a National league park this year, I believe the pitchers will bat and there will be no DH.

zach23
06-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by zach23
It's in a National league park this year, I believe the pitchers will bat and there will be no DH.

Ooops, nevermind, I was wrong.

Go Paulie!

pudge
06-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Also from that article:

Yes, we know this summer's game is being played in an NL park, meaning the DH won't actually be used. But when the AL manager assembles his squad, he is still expected to account for the batting-only position, and guys added to the team as DHs are often the first pinch-hitters off the bench.

foulkesfan11
06-11-2002, 06:02 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

ode to veeck
06-11-2002, 06:35 PM
article is opinion and contains no torre quotes or claims, just one line Even if positional leader Jason Giambi and last summer's starter, John Olerud, attend the 73rd All-Star Game as the first basemen, manager Joe Torre will add Konerko's bat at DH of such reference. Not clear if this is just author's opinion of what Torre should do (likely)

FanOf14
06-11-2002, 08:10 PM
I won't believe it until I see it, but if it is announced - that game is getting taped!!!!!!!!! He deserves it and so does Buehrle, but I am willing to bet only one Sox player is going.

nut_stock
06-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I won't believe it until I see it, but if it is announced - that game is getting taped!!!!!!!!! He deserves it and so does Buehrle, but I am willing to bet only one Sox player is going.

I still say 3 will go. Buehrle, Konerko, Maggs

sox_fan_forever
06-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock

I still say 3 will go. Buehrle, Konerko, Maggs

The three of them definitely deserve to go.

harwar
06-12-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
article is opinion and contains no torre quotes or claims, just one line of such reference. Not clear if this is just author's opinion of what Torre should do (likely)

Torre really owes the Sox after snubbing Frank Thomas in 2000.I believe the only reason The Big Hurt wasn't picked was because we went into the storied yankee stadium and swept them.I remember that series well and i've never seen torre so angry.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2002, 09:33 AM
With all due respect to the great Tom Singer and the Pulitzer Prize I'm sure he'll someday collect writing for MLB.com, this article DOES NOT have quotes from Joe Torre regarding ANYTHING about the all-star game roster. In fact, it doesn't even paraphrase him about the Konerko ballot issue.

In common parlance, what Singer is offering is journalistic conjecture, i.e. an educated guess.

I find it incredible Joe Torre would even care who he picks for the A.L. reserves--the exhibition game is still a month away! If he's thinking at all about that game, it's which pitchers he needs to pick and how to smooth feathers inside his own clubhouse over possible omissions.

In case you hadn't noticed, Konerko and the rest of the Sox are in a major hitting funk right now. Can we all agree Torre doesn't need to make up his mind until fully three months of the season have been played? Can we agree the next four weeks count, too?

Who wants to bet Singer didn't even realize Konerko was in a hitting funk when he wrote this? It seems a significant point to leave out given the topic, don't you think?

This is garbage.

Perhaps we should all just chill for at least another 3 weeks? If Joe Torre decides he wants to pick a firstbasemen for his unofficial "DH spot", I'm sure it will be plenty newsworthy in the mainstream press, not just with Tom Singer and MLB.com.

ode to veeck
06-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Konehead's two dingers yesterday won't hurt, but who Torre picks is anyones guess--frankly I'd rather see the Sox sweep Yanks again (a la 2000) and lose the all-star slots to an angry Torre

KruseControl04
06-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Konehead's two dingers yesterday won't hurt, but who Torre picks is anyones guess--frankly I'd rather see the Sox sweep Yanks again (a la 2000) and lose the all-star slots to an angry Torre

agreed.