PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pierre for Linebrink??

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
A radio report here in CA. That the Dodgers are very intersted in Linebrink and the host thinks that Pierre would be a great fit for the Sox, since we need a lead off hitter.

The host also said that the Sox want Hudson to take Linebrink spot in the bull pen.

Jim Shorts
12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
In a NY minute.

That's a killer contract, especially when Linebrink is only good for 1/2 a season.

spawn
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
In a NY minute.

That's a killer contract, especially when Linebrink is only good for 1/2 a season.
And that means taking on the remainder of Pierre's 2 year, 18.5 million dollar contract. My feeling is Pods would be cheaper. No thanks.

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm not to sure if I want the Sox to take on Pierre contract.

getonbckthr
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
And that means taking on the remainder of Pierre's 2 year, 18.5 million dollar contract. My feeling is Pods would be cheaper. No thanks.

I'm not to sure if I want the Sox to take on Pierre contract.
Here's the question how much would we need to pay Podsednik? Linebrink is about half of Pierre's contract if Pods would cost 2-3 million per then I think its worth it to get rid of Linebrink.

Foulke You
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Here's the question how much would we need to pay Podsednik? Linebrink is about half of Pierre's contract if Pods would cost 2-3 million per then I think its worth it to get rid of Linebrink.
I tend to agree. I don't want Linebrink anywhere near a close ballgame for the Sox next year. If he is toiling in the Dodger pen next year, he can't do any damage here. Dodger Stadium might be the perfect ballpark for Linebrink too. It's the NL West where he is familiar and it is a big ballpark to hold in all the meatballs he throws out over the plate.

Pierre certainly isn't an ideal solution because his throwing arm is god awful but he would provide a little speed, bunting, and basestealing at the top of the order. He is also an Ozzie favorite from his Marlins days. I wonder if LA would eat some of the Pierre contract in a potential trade? If they ate half the contract, I could definitely warm up to the deal.

chunk
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
That OBP would be great in the leadoff spot, but that contract is bad and his arm is a noodle. However, if it meant getting rid of Linebrink's contract, it may be a wash between the cost of Pierre and the cost of Pods. One thing is that prior to 09, Pierre's OBP had been declining. There's no way he can play RF, so I'd imagine it'd be Pierre-LF, Rios-CF, and TCQ-RF.

pythons007
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
That OBP would be great in the leadoff spot, but that contract is bad and his arm is a noodle. However, if it meant getting rid of Linebrink's contract, it may be a wash between the cost of Pierre and the cost of Pods. One thing is that prior to 09, Pierre's OBP had been declining. There's no way he can play RF, so I'd imagine it'd be Pierre-LF, Rios-CF, and TCQ-RF.

I would think that the Dodgers would almost take anything for Pierre. The Dodgers don't have a position for him. He's wasting away on the bench and eating up a lot of their salary.

chunk
12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
The divorce is certainly going to force their hand on issues like this. However, wouldn't it also keep them from eating a substantial amount of money on any deal? They might be willing to take on Linebrink, but they probably can't eat any of Pierre's contract, which could benefit KW and allow him to a snag a prospect.

asindc
12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I tend to agree. I don't want Linebrink anywhere near a close ballgame for the Sox next year. If he is toiling in the Dodger pen next year, he can't do any damage here. Dodger Stadium might be the perfect ballpark for Linebrink too. It's the NL West where he is familiar and it is a big ballpark to hold in all the meatballs he throws out over the plate.

Pierre certainly isn't an ideal solution because his throwing arm is god awful but he would provide a little speed, bunting, and basestealing at the top of the order. He is also an Ozzie favorite from his Marlins days. I wonder if LA would eat some of the Pierre contract in a potential trade? If they ate half the contract, I could definitely warm up to the deal.

At least half the contract. No way do I want to do it otherwise. I think Pods will be had at no more than $3 million a year for two years. I would rather do that if the Dodgers don't pay the majority of Pierre's contract.

Sargeant79
12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I would think that the Dodgers would almost take anything for Pierre. The Dodgers don't have a position for him. He's wasting away on the bench and eating up a lot of their salary.

If the Dodgers are sending money, I'd be all in favor of it. Trading a bad contract for Pierre is probably one of the least bad of a few different craptacular options we have to fill the leadoff spot on the cheap.

tm1119
12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
How much of Pierre's contract is LA paying? Linebrink is overpayed, but Pierre is really overpayed. If the Dodgers are willing to add 2-3 mil per year to make the contracts closer to even then I would be all for it. They might have to if they want to trade Peirre. I dont see any other team that would be willing to take Pierre off of their hands.

tm1119
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
At least half the contract. No way do I want to do it otherwise. I think Pods will be had at no more than $3 million a year for two years. I would rather do that if the Dodgers don't pay the majority of Pierre's contract.

Do you really think that Pods will = Pierre's output this season? Pierre would certainly command more money on the open marker and is worth more than the 3mil or so that Pods will get. Pierre for around 12mil over the next seasons would not be all that bad of a deal and would most likely be more productive than Linebrink for 2/10.5.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I think I'd go for this. The team still needs a leadoff hitter, and it doesn't seem like we're gonna sign any big name player out their. I like Linebrink, but he just plain sucks at this point so if they can unload him go for it. Pierre's contract sucks but I'd rather have his than Linebrink. At least Pierre could provide some value to the team. And if we take on all of Pierre's contract, maybe we could snag a prospect or something along with him.

asindc
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Do you really think that Pods will = Pierre's output this season? Pierre would certainly command more money on the open marker and is worth more than the 3mil or so that Pods will get. Pierre for around 12mil over the next seasons would not be all that bad of a deal and would most likely be more productive than Linebrink for 2/10.5.

I have never been that high on Pierre and speaking of high, I think that's what the Dodgers management must have been to give him that contract in the first place. That said, Pierre is better than Pods, but not $9 million better, IMO.

cards press box
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
A radio report here in CA. That the Dodgers are very intersted in Linebrink and the host thinks that Pierre would be a great fit for the Sox, since we need a lead off hitter.

If the Dodgers offered Juan Pierre for Scott Linebrink, I think the Sox would make the deal. Because Pierre's contract is even worse than Linebrink's, the Sox might would probably want the Dodgers to add several million to the deal and the Dodgers would probably agree because it would still give them salary relief. And who knows, Linebrink might thrive in Dodgers stadium and the National League. Pierre has spoken highly of Ozzie Guillen and the Sox need a leadoff man. Neither Pierre nor Scott Podsednik has a CF's arm and, in any event, the Sox could go with an OF of Pierre in LF, Rios in CF and Quentin in RF.

This makes almost too much sense not to happen.

voodoochile
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM

I imagine the Dodgers would have to throw in some cast to balance. Might mean the Sox would have to throw in another mid-level prospect, but if they can get this done, I say do it.

I don't know that I believe it though.

Interesting thought of Hudson as a setup man. Most of us have been expecting him to be long relief to keep him stretched out, but he'd definitely be a great late inning pitcher for the short term, IMO.

Balfanman
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM

I would be for this deal as other than his arm Pierre is not all that bad a player. Certainly better than Pods in my opinion, especially defensively.

I would leave Quentin in left and move Rios back to right and place Pierre in center. JMHO

voodoochile
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I have never been that high on Pierre and speaking of high, I think that's what the Dodgers management must have been to give him that contract in the first place. That said, Pierre is better than Pods, but not $9 million better, IMO.

Net might only be 2-3 after dumping Linebrink.

Linebrink+pods+2-3M = Pierre.

I'd say that's worth the potential upgrade lower chance of injury and loss of Linebrink, but it also might mean the Sox can afford to take less money in the exchange. Instead of needing half of Pierre's contract $2M per might be enough for them to make the trade.

Rocky Soprano
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I would be for this deal as other than his arm Pierre is not all that bad a player. Certainly better than Pods in my opinion, especially defensively.

I would leave Quentin in left and move Rios back to right and place Pierre in center. JMHO

Pierre in center? Rios is 100 x better than Pierre, why in the world would you do that?

voodoochile
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM

I agree, might help Rios get back on track too since he won't have to work as hard defensively which will leave him more energy on offense.

spawn
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I imagine the Dodgers would have to throw in some cast to balance. Might mean the Sox would have to throw in another mid-level prospect, but if they can get this done, I say do it.
Under those circumstances, I could be behind that deal.

DirtySox
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Pierre is a brutal CF, but he's decent in LF.

white sox bill
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
ANy offer that means moving Linebrink should be entertained.

slavko
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Rather have Pods or Coco. Liney still has a live arm, needs better coaching. Yes, I mean it. Pierre will have WSI in an uproar before June. Plus there's something about him that irritates me. Besides throwing like a girl.

voodoochile
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Rather have Pods or Coco. Liney still has a live arm, needs better coaching. Yes, I mean it. Pierre will have WSI in an uproar before June. Plus there's something about him that irritates me. Besides throwing like a girl.

I think Jenny Finch would take a major exception to this phrase. I know that I do. Please don't use it again.

Jimmy Piersall
12-07-2009, 12:32 PM

I don't think Pierre would have WSI in an uproar all by himself,hell,we'd
find something else to get all fired up about anyways.It's our job.And
since we're used to Pods and his,um,OF style of play,Pierre would not
be any worse.As for throwing arms,neither of them is gunning down
our mothers any time soon.

slavko
12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I think Jenny Finch would take a major exception to this phrase. I know that I do. Please don't use it again.

Sorry (no offense to girls in general or Jennie in particular). But Jennie throws underhand and maybe Pierre should too.

PaleHoser
12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd do the deal if:

1. The Dodgers eat the difference in the contracts.
2. Minor leaguers are included in the deal. I don't like trading pitchers for position players, so if a pair of minor leaguers would have to be included so the arms balance out in the end.

Kotsay and/or Andruw Jones could be the defensive replacements for Pierre in a close game. Wow, it feels good to have a (potentially, pending health) deep bench. :gulp:

tm1119
12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Just throwing this out there while we are on the subject-

Instead of Pierre, what about Luis Castillo? His cotract is more manageable at 6mil per year, and Im pretty sure the Mets would do this deal straight up as their pen is always an issue and they have looking to get rid of Castillo. As much crap as Castillo gets for being a bad contact he hit .300 last season with a .387 OBP, and '08 was really his only bad season of this decade. The only knock that I can think of against him is that he isnt as good on D as he once was, but neither is Pierre. Just throwing his name out there, good or bad idea?

Balfanman
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Pierre in center? Rios is 100 x better than Pierre, why in the world would you do that?

As much complaining as people do of putting Quentin in right, that's what you'd have to do if you place Pierre in left. I would rather have my weak arm in center I think.

As a group they would cover just as much ground whichever order you place them.

JMHO

guillen4life13
12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Just throwing this out there while we are on the subject-

Instead of Pierre, what about Luis Castillo? His cotract is more manageable at 6mil per year, and Im pretty sure the Mets would do this deal straight up as their pen is always an issue and they have looking to get rid of Castillo. As much crap as Castillo gets for being a bad contact he hit .300 last season with a .387 OBP, and '08 was really his only bad season of this decade. The only knock that I can think of against him is that he isnt as good on D as he once was, but neither is Pierre. Just throwing his name out there, good or bad idea?

I've liked Luis Castillo for a long time.

But, where's he gonna play? Beckham is at 2B.

tm1119
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I've liked Luis Castillo for a long time.

But, where's he gonna play? Beckham is at 2B.

Technically not yet. You could go Beckham back at 3B, Castillo at 2B, and Teahen in RF. Would give us more financial room to go out and get a big bat too, because Castillo would only essentially only cost us 1mil after unloading Linebrink. It would further weaken our bullpen though.

LoveYourSuit
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Juan Pierre only struck out 27 times last season :o:

That's crazy. He doesn't walk for ****, but I like the fact that he puts the ball in play.

russ99
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Only one small problem with this rumor, Linebrink has a full NTC through 2011.

Would he accept a deal to L.A.?

Jim Shorts
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Only one small problem with this rumor, Linebrink has a full NTC through 2011.

Would he accept a deal to L.A.?

holy ****! His agent got him that deal AND a FULL NTC?

that's is a HOF agent right there.

russ99
12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
holy ****! His agent got him that deal AND a FULL NTC?

that's is a HOF agent right there.

I guess you forget those seasons in San Diego and Milwaukee, and his first season with the Sox.

The fluky thing about relievers is they're gold one year and trash the next. Maybe he'll rebound this season, with the Sox or elsewhere...

Craig Grebeck
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I guess you forget those seasons in San Diego and Milwaukee, and his first season with the Sox.

The fluky thing about relievers is they're gold one year and trash the next. Maybe he'll rebound this season, with the Sox or elsewhere...
...which is why they should never, ever receive a full NTC.

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I thought Konerko was the only player on the Sox with a full NTC. Than Buehrle and AJ will acheived that status during the season

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Linebrink does not have a full NTC. He has no trade protection at all

sox1970
12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Linebrink does not have a full NTC. He has no trade protection at all

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

Scott Linebrink rhp
4 years/$19M (2008-11)

4 years/$19M (2008-11)

signed by White Sox as a free agent 11/28/07
08:$4M, 09:$4.5M, 10:$5M, 11:$5.5M
no-trade protection
award bonuses: $0.1M each for MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for TSN All Star; $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star starter; $15,000 All Star selection

TheVulture
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I find it hard to believe anyone would rather have Pods than a .301 career hitter with the lowest career K rate in baseball.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about Quentin in right. Of course, we'd have the same problem with Podsednik.

Pablo_Honey
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I find it hard to believe anyone would rather have Pods than a .301 career hitter with the lowest career K rate in baseball.

Not when the said hitter is getting paid $18.5 mil for the next two seasons and Pods would certainly demand less than that.

spawn
12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Not when the said hitter is getting paid $18.5 mil for the next two seasons and Pods would certainly demand less than that.
You're ignroing the fact that 10.5 million would be subtracted with Linebrink going to the Dodgers.

russ99
12-07-2009, 02:37 PM

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about Quentin in right. Of course, we'd have the same problem with Podsednik.

Quentin would be better than Dye in right, and he has the arm for the position. We could do a lot worse...

LF would be the best spot for the leadoff hitter, as Rios is very solid at CF, and unless you get a good defensive player (with a decent arm), it makes no sense moving him.

I thought I heard Linebrink getting a NTC was publicized when he signed. Cot's reinforces that.

thomas35forever
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I take it most people would rather go cheap with Pods. I have to agree, and why the Sox aren't being more aggressive in bringing him back is beyond me.

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I take it most people would rather go cheap with Pods. I have to agree, and why the Sox aren't being more aggressive in bringing him back is beyond me.

Yeah, most people want to go cheaper with Pods because most believe this year was a fluke. Also, given his liability defensively, he's not worth THAT much money... Well, as much as he and his agent believe he's worth.

chunk
12-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Cheap and aggressive kind of don't work together. Besides, there are a lot of doubts as to whether Pods can repeat his 09 performance. I don't think he's the only option out there, which is why I find it odd that so many focus on bringing him back without exploring other options.

GAsoxfan
12-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Linebrink has been extremely consistent for the past four years. Since 2006, Linebrink has been great before the All-Star break and awful after the All-Star break. I'm not sure if he runs out of steam or what, but he's consistently been a first-half only pitcher for a while now.

DirtySox
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Probably because Pods actually isn't that good, and most (rational) people would agree that he isn't likely to reproduce his 09 numbers based on his track record.

Why people want to settle for Pods instead of explore better options is beyond me.

Foulke You
12-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, most people want to go cheaper with Pods because most believe this year was a fluke. Also, given his liability defensively, he's not worth THAT much money... Well, as much as he and his agent believe he's worth.
According to AM1000 this morning (Bruce Levine) the Sox and Pods are in disagreement about years, not dollars. Pods wants two years and the Sox only want to give him one year. Apparently, the only other team to draw serious interest is the Royals but they are also only offering one year. It is Bruce Levine-line so take it with a grain of salt.

Tragg
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
We don't need Pierre and we don't need pods. What we need us what we needed all offseason: a right fielder.

Zisk77
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
We don't need Pierre and we don't need pods. What we need us what we needed all offseason: a right fielder.

Brilliant...now who leads off?

mzh
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM

So Pierre goes in left and TCQ moves to right. Our outfield is rather adjustable right now, as both Quentin and Rios can play right. I don't think that's the issue right now.

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Beckham

gr8mexico
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Coco Crisp

oeo
12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
So Pierre goes in left and TCQ moves to right. Our outfield is rather adjustable right now, as both Quentin and Rios can play right. I don't think that's the issue right now.

Quentin can barely play left. In a perfect world, you find someone who can play center and lead off (Crisp I guess is an option, but he's not much of a leadoff hitter). Move Rios to RF and hope he reaches his potential with the bat.

LoveYourSuit
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Quentin can barely play left. In a perfect world, you find someone who can play center and lead off. Move Rios to RF and hope he reaches his potential with the bat.

People tend to forget Quentin is average at best in LF and that's with two good feet.

The Sox need a either a CF or a RF.

Rockabilly
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com tweets that the Pirates, Sox and a 3rd team have interest in Pierre.

chunk
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3097&sn=t

Sox and Pirates are named as teams interested.

Tragg
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Beckham. What would really be brilliant is going into next season with terrble outfield defense after spending all of these resources on starting pitching. Neither Pierre nor pods is an elite leadoff hitter anyway

oeo
12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Beckham. What would really be brilliant is going into next season with terrble outfield defense after spending all of these resources on starting pitching. Neither Pierre nor pods is an elite leadoff hitter anyway

FWIW, Pierre has actually been a really good left fielder. Even with Quentin in RF, the outfield defense would still be a lot better than it has been in recent years. The one major positive of this deal is bye-bye Line.

Beckham would be such a waste at leadoff.

Tragg
12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
People tend to forget Quentin is average at best in LF and that's with two good feet.

The Sox need a either a CF or a RF.

They don't forget it; they just don't believe it. I was lambasted yesterday for pointing out that he wasn't a good leftfielder

Tragg
12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
FWIW, Pierre has actually been a really good left fielder. Even with Quentin in RF, the outfield defense would still be a lot better than it has been in recent years.

Beckham would be such a waste at leadoff.

I understand that but I think it's preferable to putting pods out there. If Pierre can play good in left, who plays right.

DirtySox
12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Sounds like Q is likely to be in RF next year depending on a potential acquisition.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/white-soxs-carlos-quentin-to-move-from-left-field-to-right-field-for-now-manager-ozzie-guillen-says.html

longshot7
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM

The host also said that the Sox want Hudson to take Linebrink spot in the bull pen.

Which radio host said this specifically?

Rohan
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
In a heartbeat.

I'm reading up on this idea on Mlbtraderumors... Seems like it could be possible. I don't see why the NTC would be a problem. Linebrink would be going to a world series contender, in a warm climate...

Pablo_Honey
12-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Pierre's numbers since 2004 don't really inspire confidence. He did post a nice number in 2009, but do note that he started in only 76 games. Who knows, he may have actually turned his career around but I get the feeling this might be a little bit flukey season. Hey, I've lost faith in Linebrink too, but if we get rid of him, there's one more bullpen spot Kenny's gotta fill. I just don't see Kenny spending money on bullpen arms this offseason. Considering how Kenny wants to solve the bullpen issue with in-house options, I hate to say it but I'd rather keep Linebrink of Destruction.

VMSNS
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Moving Linebrink is addition by subtraction.

I would like to have Pierre, but obviously it would depend on the deal.

Zisk77
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM

Beckham was one of our best run producers last year. He is not a table setter. he needs to stay aggressive as a hitter and not be taking pitches to get on.

Pods and Pierre are leadoff hitters. Their are only a few "elite" leadoff hitters and we are not getting them no matter how much we complain about it. Right now our OF defense consists of two guys (maybe three) TCQ - average Rios -Very Good (kotsay) - solid.

Frater Perdurabo
12-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I would do this trade, straight-up, in a heartbeat.

Pierre could bunt for many hits on Bossard's infield grass. He would definitely be an upgrade over Pods both as a LF and a leadoff hitter.

Add Pierre, and the only remaining need is a LH hitter to hit third.

gr8mexico
12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
It sounds like the Dodgers and Sox are a perfect match.
Maybe the Sox can go after Pierre for LF and Coco Crisp for CF.
Gordon can then be moved down the order and then the Sox can DH Carlos Quentin.

hi im skot
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/_MG_2909.jpg

getonbckthr
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Pierre's numbers since 2004 don't really inspire confidence. He did post a nice number in 2009, but do note that he started in only 76 games. Who knows, he may have actually turned his career around but I get the feeling this might be a little bit flukey season. Hey, I've lost faith in Linebrink too, but if we get rid of him, there's one more bullpen spot Kenny's gotta fill. I just don't see Kenny spending money on bullpen arms this offseason. Considering how Kenny wants to solve the bullpen issue with in-house options, I hate to say it but I'd rather keep Linebrink of Destruction.
I think Linebrink would be easier to replace than a guy who can play LF and leadoff.

Thatguyoverthere
12-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Ideally, I'd love to DH Quentin and get a left-handed RF with power, but that would most certainly not happen. I guess if nothing else, adding Pierre and Dunn/Delgado/Matsui wouldn't be so bad, though Quentin playing right is scary. His feet better be healthy. And losing Linebrink is the definition of addition by subtraction. I'm sure in-house options could easily replace what he does.

Pablo_Honey
12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I think Linebrink would be easier to replace than a guy who can play LF and leadoff.

I'm sure in-house options could easily replace what he does.

Maybe I am just too hopeful based on his first half stretch in 2008 and am scared by the fact that the in-house options could potentially include Torres, Gobble, Nunez, Egbert and/or Whisler :shrug: Well, I guess trading for Pierre is better than sitting pat.

sullythered
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Ideally, I'd love to DH Quentin and get a left-handed RF with power, but that would most certainly not happen. I guess if nothing else, adding Pierre and Dunn/Delgado/Matsui wouldn't be so bad, though Quentin playing right is scary. His feet better be healthy. And losing Linebrink is the definition of addition by subtraction. I'm sure in-house options could easily replace what he does.
Dunn would be a lot more than "not so bad." He would be absolutely fantastic.
Career .903 OPS and only 30.

slavko
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/_MG_2909.jpg

Could be Pods, couldn't it? Funny either way.

Baron
12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Was just on MLB.com reading some of the twitter posts and one of them said that the Dodgers want starting pitching for Pierre.......

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Dunn would be a lot more than "not so bad." He would be absolutely fantastic.
Career .903 OPS and only 30.

Dunn would be a great fit...

But I don't know why people keep talking about Dunn. He's on the Nationals for one more year, and would take A LOT to trade for. I expect him to be traded at the deadline midseason, but not earlier than that.

We have a shot at him next offseason. Again, he would be a GREAT fit.

JermaineDye05
12-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Was just on MLB.com reading some of the twitter posts and one of them said that the Dodgers want starting pitching for Pierre.......

Well, they didn't specify whether it had to be good or not. Give them Carlos Torres.

voodoochile
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Throw in Torres, they still have to take Linebrink... :D:

parlaycard
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Dunn would be a great fit...

But I don't know why people keep talking about Dunn. He's on the Nationals for one more year, and would take A LOT to trade for. I expect him to be traded at the deadline midseason, but not earlier than that.

We have a shot at him next offseason. Again, he would be a GREAT fit.

It wouldnt take a lot to get Dunn. He makes a lot and the Nationals proved that even with him, theyre going nowhere fast. Theyd love to dump his contract. He has Soriano like money coming to him for 1 year. I think he could be had.

GregO23
12-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Trade for Pierre...Im going for the wildcard of XAVIER NADY!

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
DH Quentin
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
SS Ramirez
CF Rios
3B Teahen
RF Nady

But boy would I love Pierre and Dunn:o:

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
DH Dunn
RF Quentin
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski(Although I would rather have Rios or Alexei here)
CF Rios
SS Ramirez
3B Teahen

BN Jones, Kotsay, Vizquel, Backup C, (Nix)

Tragg
12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Beggars can't be choosers.
They aren't getting major league starting pitching for Juan Pierre.

Thatguyoverthere
12-08-2009, 09:19 AM

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
DH Dunn
RF Quentin
1B Konerko
CF Rios
SS Ramirez
3B Teahen

BN Jones, Kotsay, Vizquel, Backup C, (Nix)That lineup looks very nice. If Kenny pulls that off, I would be a very happy camper.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Strongly agreed.

And remember, Linebrink can always bounce back and contribute......

Trade for Pierre...Im going for the wildcard of XAVIER NADY!

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
DH Quentin
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
SS Ramirez
CF Rios
3B Teahen
RF Nady

LF Pierre
2B Beckham
DH Dunn
RF Quentin
1B Konerko
CF Rios
SS Ramirez
3B Teahen

BN Jones, Kotsay, Vizquel, Backup C, (Nix)

We might as well get Thome back if he would be our #3 hitter. Do we really need an $11 million a year DH?

tm1119
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Strongly agreed.

And remember, Linebrink can always bounce back and contribute......

We might as well get Thome back if he would be our #3 hitter. Do we really need an $11 million a year DH?

So why dont we just bring back last years team and win at the most 80 games again? Pierre and Dunn are MUCH better than Pods and Thome. That would be why Pods and Thome are so much cheaper. We are going to have spend money to win, no way around it.

voodoochile
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
So why dont we just bring back last years team and win at the most 80 games again? Pierre and Dunn are MUCH better than Pods and Thome. That would be why Pods and Thome are so much cheaper. We are going to have spend money to win, no way around it.

Are you saying that last years team with the addition of Garcia and Peavy over Contreras and Colon would still max out at 80 wins? :scratch:

asindc
12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Are you saying that last years team with the addition of Garcia and Peavy over Contreras and Colon would still max out at 80 wins? :scratch:

I think what he was saying is that playing Rios in CF for an entire season rather than platooning Anderson and Wise there for most of it will not make any difference.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I think what he was saying is that playing Rios in CF for an entire season rather than platooning Anderson and Wise there for most of it will not make any difference.

If that's the case...

http://scienceblogs.com.br/brontossauros/double-facepalm.jpg

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM

I'm not too sure about that. I'd take Pods over Pierre. There is not much difference between the two of them except $$$$, though Pierre has been much more durable.

$22 million for Dunn to be a primary DH the next two years?:o:

If we had to spend the are quite a few options better than him, for less.

tm1119
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not too sure about that. I'd take Pods over Pierre. There is not much difference between the two of them except $$$$, though Pierre has been much more durable.

Pods is not better than Pierre. Never has been, never will be. And 22 million a year for a player like Dunn is a more than a fair contract. People dont realize how good of a hitter Adam Dunn really is.

Our offense was pitiful last season and has only gotten worse thus far. Unless we add 2 hitters we are really going to struggle to win a lot of games this season. And yes, I know its still very, but if all we do is add bring back Thome and Pods then 80 wins could very be the limit for this team. And dont give me Freddy Garcia, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that he doesnt make it to the all-star break. There was a reason he wasnt in baseball last season.

Pablo_Honey
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Pierre's worst numbers are rather close to Pods' best numbers. Plus, Pods was out of baseball last year and had it not been for BA and Wise, he could have seen most of playing time in the minors with some other team. No offense but to say there isn't much difference is a bit of a stretch.

Dunn is worth the money for sure but no way Nationals are giving him away without nice return. It's not easy to find a guy who can constantly hit 35+ home runs, 100+ RBIs and 100+ walks. His bat would be a perfect fit for the Sox but he ain't coming here.

soxinem1
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Pierre's worst numbers are rather close to Pods' best numbers. Plus, Pods was out of baseball last year and had it not been for BA and Wise, he could have seen most of playing time in the minors with some other team. No offense but to say there isn't much difference is a bit of a stretch.

Dunn is worth the money for sure but no way Nationals are giving him away without nice return. It's not easy to find a guy who can constantly hit 35+ home runs, 100+ RBIs and 100+ walks. His bat would be a perfect fit for the Sox but he ain't coming here.

Pods is not better than Pierre. Never has been, never will be. And 22 million a year for a player like Dunn is a more than a fair contract. People dont realize how good of a hitter Adam Dunn really is.

Our offense was pitiful last season and has only gotten worse thus far. Unless we add 2 hitters we are really going to struggle to win a lot of games this season. And yes, I know its still very, but if all we do is add bring back Thome and Pods then 80 wins could very be the limit for this team. And dont give me Freddy Garcia, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that he doesnt make it to the all-star break. There was a reason he wasnt in baseball last season.

All of this may be true, (especially about Garcia though he is not the topic here), but all not in the cards.

Sure, it would be nice to add these options, but in the current situation, how do you both propose KW acquire these players under the limitations he has to work under? WAS and LAD are not going to kick much $$$$ in on a trade, and we do not have what the Natinals need in ways of a trade to make it worthwhile for them.

tm1119
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
All of this may be true, (especially about Garcia though he is not the topic here), but all not in the cards.

Sure, it would be nice to add these options, but in the current situation, how do you both propose KW acquire these players under the limitations he has to work under? WAS and LAD are not going to kick much $$$$ in on a trade, and we do not have what the Natinals need in ways of a trade to make it worthwhile for them.

Im not saying these 2 are the definite options, or if they are even possible or not. All Im saying is that to me JUST bringing back Pods and Thome is not an option either. We need to do more to have a legit shot at anything more than winning our weak division. Getting 2 good hitters, such as Pierre and Dunn, puts us right in contention to win the AL with the pitching that we have. I dont know how hes going to do it, but KW needs to do something to improve the offense from last season.

dwalteroo
12-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Cowley suggesting Pierre is still very much on their radar:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1936617,CST-SPT-sox13.article

Lip Man 1
12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
What's interesting there is that I've been consistently told by another member of the media that the Sox don't think Pierre can play in the American League which is why they didn't go after him last season.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Lip

Pablo_Honey
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
I'll probably get a lot of flack for even suggesting this, but how about Paulie + prospect(s) for Loney and Pierre? I'd hate to see Paulie go, but this trade will save us money in 2009 and we get a leadoff and a young first baseman with a nice potential (Check his home vs away splits) Dodgers are desparate to get rid of Pierre and they could use more power in their lineup.

getonbckthr
12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I'll probably get a lot of flack for even suggesting this, but how about Paulie + prospect(s) for Loney and Pierre? I'd hate to see Paulie go, but this trade will save us money in 2009 and we get a leadoff and a young first baseman with a nice potential (Check his home vs away splits) Dodgers are desparate to get rid of Pierre and they could use more power in their lineup.

Why would the Dodgers get rid of Loney

soxfan43
12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Why would the Dodgers get rid of Loney

Good question, but he's always in trade rumors and there also seems to be a lot of trade talk about first basemen for the Dodgers in general. The argument I usually see with those rumors is his lack of power. But he still drives in 90 rbis without hitting 20 hrs. I'd love a trade of Paulie and pieces for Pierre and Loney.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Loney is average. Meh.

NLaloosh
12-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Cowley suggesting Pierre is still very much on their radar:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1936617,CST-SPT-sox13.article

Well, I'm not a big Pierre fan but if the Sox could unload Linebrink for him and pay only the portion of the contract that they would've paid to Linebrink, which is about $ 11 mil. over 2 years, then I would be amenable to that deal.

However, I have to believe that if Kenny could've gotten that deal done then he wouldn't have non-tendered Carrasco. I could be wrong but a Linebrink for Pierre deal works for me as long as the Sox don't have to pay too much.

NLaloosh
12-14-2009, 06:03 AM
If there's no room for him and the Sox have at least three guys making minimum ready for a shot at long reliever at AAA should there be a need for a 7th pitcher I can't say it's that big of a deal. Even more so when I factor in the starters the Sox have all of whom are expected to regularly pitch into the 6th or later. I'm actually expecting a huge year from John Danks now that his finger issues should be lessened due to the lack of tobacco in his diet.

If they can dump Linebrink than this becomes a bigger issue, but if not then it's money best spent elsewhere.

I'm suddenly loving the Linebrink for Pierre idea. The Sox could be far better off getting rid of Linebrink. The Sox have so many candidates to replace him.

cards press box
12-14-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm suddenly loving the Linebrink for Pierre idea. The Sox could be far better off getting rid of Linebrink. The Sox have so many candidates to replace him.

The Sun-Times ran an article (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1936617,CST-SPT-sox13.article) on the Sox and Juan Pierre yesterday.

soxfanreggie
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Very interesting...that might be a move where we can't find anything better than it. We get someone who can bat leadoff and play the OF and get Linebrink off the books. Do the Dodgers need a reliever like him though?

russ99
12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Very interesting...that might be a move where we can't find anything better than it. We get someone who can bat leadoff and play the OF and get Linebrink off the books. Do the Dodgers need a reliever like him though?

The point of the Dodgers trading Pierre is to cut payroll obligations in the event the McCourt divorce proceedings mess up team finances for upcoming seasons. It's very doubtful they'd want to take on the $11M left over on Linebrink's contract. Also, Linebrink has a NTC.

The story in the paper yesterday mentioned the Sox getting Pierre with the condition that the Dodgers send cash to defray some of his contract. I'd imagine we'd be sending prospects to the Dodgers and not another big contract, and Kenny would need to make another deal to reduce our payroll.

tm1119
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
The point of the Dodgers trading Pierre is to cut payroll obligations in the event the McCourt divorce proceedings mess up team finances for upcoming seasons. It's very doubtful they'd want to take on the $11M left over on Linebrink's contract. Also, Linebrink has a NTC.

The story in the paper yesterday mentioned the Sox getting Pierre with the condition that the Dodgers send cash to defray some of his contract. I'd imagine we'd be sending prospects to the Dodgers and not another big contract, and Kenny would need to make another deal to reduce our payroll.

Pierre makes more than Linebrink and is a bench player for them. I think trading a bench player for someone who would actually be used on the team while shedding payroll would be a decent idea for them. Not to mention that no team would ever take on Pierre's contract without getting rid of their own bad contract. Not sure if Linebrink would waive his NTC though. Although he would be going back to Cali where he started.

dickallen15
12-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Pierre makes more than Linebrink and is a bench player for them. I think trading a bench player for someone who would actually be used on the team while shedding payroll would be a decent idea for them. Not to mention that no team would ever take on Pierre's contract without getting rid of their own bad contract. Not sure if Linebrink would waive his NTC though. Although he would be going back to Cali where he started.

Linebrink also has a NTC. His contract and performance means there is probably a 99.9% chance he's a White Sox in 2010.

soxfanreggie
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM

Even if it depletes our farm system a little more, it would be a move that could provide us help until Jordan Danks or someone else is ready to step into the Major League level and provides us with a more prototypical leadoff hitter. He had a good BA over 145 games, struck out about 1 in 14 at-bats, and had 30 steals with about a 75% success ratio. He only had 27 walks (to match his 27 K's), but hopefully that's the one thing they could work on with him.

How much, Sox fans, are you willing to pay for him? I'm not sure how much the Dodgers would have to eat, but the Sox could ask for more in the first year if we're be in a better situation in 2011 when PK ($12 million) and AJ ($6.25 if we don't re-sign him) come off the books. With 2011, we do have Rios, Teahen, and Floyd getting some decent raises to factor in.

slavko
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Being stuck with Liney might not be the worst thing in the world. He still has a live arm, but his confidence and location are shot. He needs some work on both. This is MacDougal all over again, except Mac's stuff was better and his contract was half the money.

A sports psychologist, spring training, some rehab time in the minors....what the heck else are you going to do with a fat contract?

Jim Shorts
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Being stuck with Liney might not be the worst thing in the world. He still has a live arm, but his confidence and location are shot. He needs some work on both. This is MacDougal all over again, except Mac's stuff was better and his contract was half the money.

A sports psychologist, spring training, some rehab time in the minors....what the heck else are you going to do with a fat contract?

Seems to me Linebrink needs to realize that there is a second half of the season. That those games after the All Star break count

cws05champ
12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Seems to me Linebrink needs to realize that there is a second half of the season. That those games after the All Star break count
I think with the rest of the BP we have, they can afford to use Linebrink a bit less in hopes of keeping him fresh for the 2nd half. That is, if we don't trade Bobby.