PDA

View Full Version : Adam LaRoche

mzh
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
He is a type B free agent that was not offered arbitration, so the Sox would not have to give up a draft pick to sign him. He has been quietly and remarkably consistent, always posting numbers around .275/25/85, a career .355 OBB, and has had an OPS under .800 exactly once, never below .775. He will probably come cheaper than a Matsui. Not as cheap as Thome might, but he is only 30 and has much more upside and less injury risk than either of them. I think he might be a good idea.

tm1119
12-06-2009, 04:38 PM
From what I read he wants a multi year deal. He would be a solid stop gap until we can find a good DH type, but dont think I would want him on the team for the next 3-4 years. Also, Im not sure whether or not he would even be willing to DH.

mzh
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
From what I read he wants a multi year deal. He would be a solid stop gap until we can find a good DH type, but dont think I would want him on the team for the next 3-4 years. Also, Im not sure whether or not he would even be willing to DH.

Depending on his defense it might allow us to move around people in the DH slot. IIRC, he can play some corner outfield too

tm1119
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Depending on his defense it might allow us to move around people in the DH slot. IIRC, he can play some corner outfield too

Nah hes never played OF in his career thus far. From what Ive seen of him hes slow as dirt, and I know I wouldnt want him playing in my OF. Hes really even only an average 1B defensively.

shes
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
If he can be had for around 8-9M per year, he would be a very good pickup. He's in the prime of his career.

cards press box
12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
If he can be had for around 8-9M per year, he would be a very good pickup. He's in the prime of his career.

Adam LaRoche certainly would add a lefty bat with some power, as his stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larocad01.shtml) show. This is a buyer's market for corner OF/DH's and I think the Sox will be able to add another quality lefty bat.

tm1119
12-06-2009, 07:23 PM

A. Adam Laroche will not get 8-9 mil per year. More like somewhere betwen 5-7.
B. We very likely dont have 8-9 mil per year to spend on any single player.
C. If we did have that kind of money we definitely would not spend it on Adam Laroche

Domeshot17
12-07-2009, 12:45 AM
While I don't really like him, it would certainly be better than the idea Merkin posted today that Guillen is loving the idea of the Andruw Jones/Kotsay et. all crap DH rotation.