PDA

View Full Version : Manuel defines "long-term"

Jerry_Manuel
06-11-2002, 01:57 PM
From the Trib:

Royce Clayton was back in the starting lineup Monday. Manager Jerry Manuel said last week his decision to bench Clayton was "long-term." What's changed Manuel's thinking?

"Anytime he starts to swing the bat, he's going to be in the lineup," Manuel said. "We just needed offense. If we're getting offense, obviously we can carry a guy that's not swinging the bat if he's playing that kind of defense."

Isn't Manuel backtracking on last week's decision?

"The 'long-term' thing is that we have an option to play either Royce or Jose [Valentin] or Graf (Tony Graffanino) at shortstop," Manuel said. "That's really the long-term of it. With the roster the way it currently sits, all of those guys are going to have to get playing time."

ode to veeck
06-11-2002, 02:14 PM
interesting in that JM's long term bears no mention of joe crede and only last week the clayton benching was permament, I guess .201 shows he's hitting again

as bugs would say "what a maroon!"

DrWatson27
06-11-2002, 02:22 PM
"Anytime he starts to swing the bat, he's going to be in the lineup," Manuel said.

When did he start swinging the bat? Other then at pitches out of the zone for strike 3. :gulp:

delben91
06-11-2002, 02:23 PM
:jerry
"Who is this Crede fellow I keep hearing about?"

:KW
"Joe Crede must be batting 200 points higher than Jerry's nephew, I mean, Royce, before he will be called up. Hey, he's halfway there."

rmusacch
06-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib:

Jerry Manuel is a ****ing liar. He told Jose that he would not flop him between short and third. Clayton had a 2-4 game on Sunday and went 0-3 last night so I guess by JM's definition Clayton is not hitting and will go back to the bench.

Foulke You
06-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Jerry Manuel is a ****ing liar. He told Jose that he would not flop him between short and third. Clayton had a 2-4 game on Sunday and went 0-3 last night so I guess by JM's definition Clayton is not hitting and will go back to the bench.

Not only did Royce go 0-3 but a pathetic 0-3 at that! 3 weak ground outs and he was 0-2 in the count before each out. No friggin' plate discipline. I know I wasn't the only one wondering why he was batting in the 7th inning with a runner on base and 2 out with Graffanino, Liefer, and Alomar sitting on the bench! Ugh.

:jerry
"I don't care who you are. Liefer, Graffanino, Alomar...you come to our ballpark you better come ready to watch Royce play!"

duke of dorwood
06-11-2002, 03:53 PM
The team meltdown did, in fact, start at the top-as this pointless rambling shows.