PDA

View Full Version : What's the market for Matsui?

NLaloosh
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Hideki Matsui seems like a great fit for the Sox. Who would the competition be for him?

I'm reading that the Yanks want to cut payroll and that Matsui is not a priority for them. Assuming they are out and Griffey is the LH DH in Seattle what teams are viable competition for his services?

mzh
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Hideki Matsui seems like a great fit for the Sox. Who would the competition be for him?

I'm reading that the Yanks want to cut payroll and that Matsui is not a priority for them. Assuming they are out and Griffey is the LH DH in Seattle what teams are viable competition for his services?

From what I have read, Japanese advertising will also likely follow Matsui wherever he goes. It could come as some relief after losing the Ford contract. I think 2 years/$12MM is within the sox budget

tm1119
12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
From what I have read, Japanese advertising will also likely follow Matsui wherever he goes. It could come as some relief after losing the Ford contract. I think 2 years/$12MM is within the sox budget

I have to assume that Matsui will get more than 2/12. I would think 2/14 at the minimum. Getting the world series MVP is going to help his case, and as you said, teams will take into consideration the Japanese $ in marketing that will come with him.

12-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I have to assume that Matsui will get more than 2/12. I would think 2/14 at the minimum. Getting the world series MVP is going to help his case, and as you said, teams will take into consideration the Japanese $ in marketing that will come with him.

So will his agent.

NLaloosh
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Who is going to give him this money to DH?

DumpJerry
12-05-2009, 08:58 PM
What Ford contract? GM is who has been advertising at the games.

soxfanreggie
12-05-2009, 09:55 PM
If he can put up the numbers he did last season, he'll still be wanted by most teams that need a DH or LH stick. If we can get him for a good price, we can sure use him. If not, we might have to look at bringing Thome back for a year.

I too think he'll require a 2-year contract in the neighborhood of $13-15 million. If we're going to offer 2 for $12 mil and he wants 2 for $14 mil, there could be some negotiations made and some incentives that may close the gap. If we offer 2 for $12 mil and he wants 2 for $18 mil or 3 for $24 mil, then we probably won't be able to reach an agreement. If Seattle and the Yankees both aren't interested, then we could some bargaining position in our corner.

cards press box
12-05-2009, 10:05 PM

I'm reading that the Yanks want to cut payroll and that Hideki Matsui is not a priority for them. Assuming they are out and Griffey is the LH DH in Seattle what teams are viable competition for his services?

If the Yanks make Matsui an offer, he would surely sign with them. Unless Brian Cashman's talk about trimming payroll is a smokescreen, it appears that the Yanks might call up some young position players, like Austin Jackson. What's more, the Yanks may want to use the DH position to give some of their aging position players (i.e., Posada, Jeter, A. Rodriguez) a day off in the field but still keep their bat in the lineup.

So, if the Yanks take a pass on Matsui, some AL team will probably sign him. I think the most likely candidates are the White Sox, Tigers, Angels and Rangers. I put the Angels on the list because they probably won't re-sign Vlad Guerrero but they have a lot of outfielders now and, anyway, Bobby Abreu should be their DH. The Rangers will likely lose Hank Blalock but there have been rumors linking them to Guerrero.

I fully expect the Sox to get a lefty DH with some sock. It may well be Matsui but other options are out there, such as Blalock, Nick Johnson, Johnny Damon and Jim Thome. Damon and Johnson are not strictly power hitters but they get on base (especially Johnson) and can help a lineup.

On White Sox weekly today, the Ranger said that he didn't expect the Sox to make a big splash in the free agent market. Ranger might be correct but I don't think the Sox need to do so. It's a buyer's market and the Sox should be able to land a leadoff man (Coco Crisp, Scott Podsednik or, if we get really creative, Nick Johnson) and a power hitting DH. The market has to develop, however, and it may not happen right away.

cards press box
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
If Seattle and the Yankees both aren't interested, then we could some bargaining position in our corner.

Seattle re-signed Ken Griffey, Jr. The Mariners probably aren't going to keep two lefty DH's on the roster.

NLaloosh
12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree. I would think the Sox would be competing against Texas the most. Detroit seems to be cutting payroll and unless the Angels can unload somebody like GMJ I don't think they'll sign him.

I guess I'm just thinking that it could happen that Kenny waits it out and Matsui is not well pursued and the Sox could get a good deal on him.

I'm sure that it won't hurt that the Sox have had two Japanese players with good success. I'm crossing my fingers. I think that he would be a great fit.

Sockinchisox
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Levineline is reporting that Matsui is high on the Sox list as a potential DH/part time OF.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog/_/post/4723195/name/levine

esbrechtel
12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Levineline is reporting that Matusi is high on the Sox list as a potential DH/part time OF.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog/_/post/4723195/name/levine

I heard this on the afternoon saloon on AM 1000 today....

He also said in the same breath that Kenny is refusing to comment on going after Roy Halladay :scratch:

I don't even know what to believe...

chisoxfanatic
12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I heard this on the afternoon saloon on AM 1000 today....

He also said in the same breath that Kenny is refusing to comment on going after Roy Halladay :scratch:

I don't even know what to believe...
I personally think KW's not opening up the wallet and will go the cheap route. I think Podsednik is going to find himself on the roster again, which I wouldn't mind, as he's a decent lead-off option. I'd just hope they'd work on his leading off bases if they were to ink him to a contract, because he fell asleep on the bases too much this past season.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
KW on Matsui & Halliday. Also Quentin is apparently moving to right field.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-08-white-sox-chicago-dec08,0,2932104.story

Lip

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
KW on Matsui & Halliday. Also Quentin is apparently moving to right field.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-08-white-sox-chicago-dec08,0,2932104.story

Lip

I think Quentin moving to right probably means we're going to see a platoon of Pods and someone with pop in LF and at DH.

thedudeabides
12-08-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm curious why everyone, not just here, ties Matsui to Seattle? Have they showed interest? Or is it just the Japanes ties with ownership and Ichiro? Matsui and Ichiro have a contensious relationship, it's actually been viewed as a rivalry since they were teenagers. Even as recent as the last WBC, Matsui was committed and dropped out, as soon as Ichiro joined in. I don't see them playing together. Just google their history.

I think he could be a good addition to the Sox, but don't see them signing him, unless the market dries up and they can get him on a 1 year contract, which is possible, maybe 2 years if they think he can give them 50-100 games in the outfield. Probably, a long shot. Especially, considering the report is coming form Bruce Levine, who I think just flat out makes up his rumors.

beasly213
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Sign Matsui to be your DH if the years are right. I'm OK with over paying a little as long as we aren't tied down to him for too long. Then go ahead and try to pull the trigger on the Juan Pierre deal and you solve two major problems..

Power hitting left handed DH and a leadoff hitter.

Although our outfield defense still won't be so great but its the AL as long as we can hit and knock the ball out of the park I'm ok with it.

Sockinchisox
12-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Sox have emerged as a "serious contender" for Matsui's services.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/2009/12/white-sox-in-play-for-matsui.html

DirtySox
12-08-2009, 04:07 PM
This pleases me.

bestkosher
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
According to Ozzie via the Tribune "We got room for a lot of people. We need one more guy. It could be him. He has to show us he can play the outfield too," <Shutters>

DaveFeelsRight
12-08-2009, 04:43 PM
make it happen kenny!

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Sox have emerged as a "serious contender" for Matsui's services.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/2009/12/white-sox-in-play-for-matsui.html

Nice. Tomorrow is Wednesday too. Make it happen KW.

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I know Matsui has been adamant about still being able to play LF.

The article states that we have 5-6 million to spend (no clue where that info is coming from, or if it's at all valid) on our DH. If that's true, maybe a 2/15 type of deal can be worked out with a 6/9 split.

Lundind1
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't like this idea at all. I think Matsui's career has run its course and we should pass on this deal. His health may become a serious issue very soon.

KenBerryGrab
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
He'd be perfect as the lefty DH. Putting him in the field is a risky proposition.

JermaineDye05
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm curious why everyone, not just here, ties Matsui to Seattle? Have they showed interest? Or is it just the Japanes ties with ownership and Ichiro? Matsui and Ichiro have a contensious relationship, it's actually been viewed as a rivalry since they were teenagers. Even as recent as the last WBC, Matsui was committed and dropped out, as soon as Ichiro joined in. I don't see them playing together. Just google their history.

I think he could be a good addition to the Sox, but don't see them signing him, unless the market dries up and they can get him on a 1 year contract, which is possible, maybe 2 years if they think he can give them 50-100 games in the outfield. Probably, a long shot. Especially, considering the report is coming form Bruce Levine, who I think just flat out makes up his rumors.

I just want to say your avatar is awesome, Mr. Banana Grabber :cool:.

KenBerryGrab
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
He needs cortisone shots regularly just to DH 120 games a year.

Sockinchisox
12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok so here's the deal according to Cowley.

Matsui would like to wait on the Yankees to see if they want him back. If they don't, the Sox are his second choice. He's not looking for a lucrative contract, he just wants to play some OF. The Sox may go to Cali. next week to check on Matsui's knee in person.

http://www.twitter.com/cst_sox

PalehosePlanet
12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
More from Cowley on KW, Matsui, and Putz.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/12/matsui_talk_and_day_3.html

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Angels in serious discussions with Matsui to DH.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4741670

spawn
12-14-2009, 02:40 PM

I thought Matsui didn't want to be a full time DH?

beasly213
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Uh oh... Me thinks that if he goes to the Angles Kenny will have his eye on Vlad... :angry:

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Angels on a verge of a deal with Matsui for 6.5 Million.

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/6670932032

Jimmy Piersall
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I thought Matsui didn't want to be a full time DH?

That's what he said...hopefully this is crap.I don't want to lose
another guy to the damn Angels.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Uh oh... Me thinks that if he goes to the Angles Kenny will have his eye on Vlad... :angry:

I'd think more so Thome. They want some Lefty power.

gr8mexico
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Honeslty it looks like Andruw Jones/Carlos Quentin are going to be the DH's and if that doesn't work then the Sox might give Tyler Flowers a shot.

dickallen15
12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Honeslty it looks like Adruw Jones/Carlos Quentin are going to be the DH's and if that doesn't work then the Sox might give Tyler Flowers a shot.

I doubt it. The season doesn't start for 4 months. KW said he now going to address the offense when Putz was signed.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Honeslty it looks like Andruw Jones/Carlos Quentin are going to be the DH's and if that doesn't work then the Sox might give Tyler Flowers a shot.

And what exactly indicates that?

Domeshot17
12-14-2009, 03:10 PM

I hope not, what a waste of a pitching staff that would be. What is it with Chicago teams who can't just go for it? Sox have a top 5 rotation in the AL and aren't going full court to solidify the offense. The Bears get Cutler and nothing else to help him. The Bulls with Rose etc.

gr8mexico
12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I doubt it. The season doesn't start for 4 months. KW said he now going to address the offense when Putz was signed.

And what exactly indicates that?
Who else is left after Matsui?
Adam LaRoche , Carlos Delgado , Jim Thome
If the Sox want a LH Bat those are the only options left.
Unless the Sox get Adrian Gonzalez

dickallen15
12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Who else is left after Matsui?
Adam LaRoche , Carlos Delgado , Jim Thome
If the Sox want a LH Bat those are the only options left.

There are these things they just invented called trades. Maybe even sign a Vlad Guerrero. Something will get done. Its not Matsui or bust.

Jim Shorts
12-14-2009, 03:42 PM

I have to quit reading this board because I get all giddy thinking about that possibility

CHISOXFAN13
12-14-2009, 03:43 PM
There are these things they just invented called trades. Maybe even sign a Vlad Guerrero. Something will get done. Its not Matsui or bust.

Vlad is done. He doesn't get on base and he can't stay healthy. No thanks.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Matsui for $6.5 mil is a steal. If KW loses this one, shame on him.

Matsui wants to play some OF, he can get that opportunity here. I don't get it.

35th and Shields
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Matsui for $6.5 mil is a steal. If KW loses this one, shame on him.

Matsui wants to play some OF, he can get that opportunity here. I don't get it.

Completely agree. Why would Matsui only want one year at 6.5 to DH? This is probably his last shot for a pretty big deal.

dickallen15
12-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Vlad is done. He doesn't get on base and he can't stay healthy. No thanks.
He hit .300 with an .844 OPS the second half of 2009.

chisox616
12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Bahhh!!! Kenny BETTER not let the Angels sneak away with such a great deal like that... that is such a steal.

Ah, who am I kidding, we'll end up with Vlad and be just fine, probably. I'm not gonna let Matsui signing elsewhere ruin my hopes for 2010.

beasly213
12-14-2009, 04:16 PM
You know... It's possible Matsui doesn't want to come to the Sox. So thats why this "steal" wouldn't work for the Sox.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
So much for the B.S. out of his agent's mouth that the Sox were "his second choice..."

Lip

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
You know... It's possible Matsui doesn't want to come to the Sox. So thats why this "steal" wouldn't work for the Sox.

Yep. It's entirely possible he prefers LA over Chicago.

oeo
12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
So much for the B.S. out of his agent's mouth that the Sox were "his second choice..."

Lip

And that he was giving the Yankees until January to work out a deal. :scratch:

In this case, a dumb move on his part. It's possible the Angels finish in third place in 2010.

Foulke You
12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
The Angels always have the 70 degree weather in April thing going for them. All things being equal financially, a lot of these ballplayers would just rather play in warmer weather.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
The Angels always have the 70 degree weather in April thing going for them. All things being equal financially, a lot of these ballplayers would just rather play in warmer weather.

No doubt. I don't fault him for that.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Lip

Yep. Why does it always have to be the Angels?

soltrain21
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
In this case, a dumb move on his part. It's possible the Angels finish in third place in 2010.

It's possible we could finish in third place, too?

DSpivack
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Did the Sox even offer Matsui a contract?

Lip Man 1
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
CWS:

Well they have an impressive decade going for them. Six playoff appearances, a World Championship, great weather, draw a lot of fans and have ownership that is willing to do what they have to do to contend not just for a division title.

Lip

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
CWS:

Well they have an impressive decade going for them. Six playoff appearances, a World Championship, great weather, draw a lot of fans and have ownership that is willing to do what they have to do to contend not just for a division title.

Lip

Yep. All fine points. It shouldn't shock anyone that he would sign with LA.

Pablo_Honey
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Argh, not the freaking Angels again...

"Sox interested in Matthews Jr."
"Angels sign Matthews Jr."
"Sox closing in on Hunter"
"Angels sign Hunter"
"Sox in talks with Abreu"
"Angels sign Abreu"

Why is that they nab the outfielders we seem to show some interest in? Anyways, since Ozzie wants a DH that can play a position and Matsui wants to remain at LF, it might just work out for the Sox this time. Hopefully.

soxinem1
12-14-2009, 04:51 PM

"Angels sign Hunter"
"Angels sign Abreu"

Why is that they nab the outfielders we seem to show some interest in? Anyways, since Ozzie wants a DH that can play a position and Matsui wants to remain at LF, it might just work out for the Sox this time. Hopefully.

Looks like it is a done deal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/angels-in-serious-discussions-for-hideki-matsui.html

35th and Shields
12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I wonder why he's settling for a one year deal so early on.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I guess we will get our leadoff hitter and that's it.

Pods/Crisp LF
Beckham 2B
Quentin RF
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Rios CF
Kotsay / Jones DH or OF
Alexei SS
Teahan 3B

It is going to be a very long season if this is what we go in with.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I guess we will get our leadoff hitter and that's it.

Pods/Crisp LF
Beckham 2B
Quentin RF
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Rios CF
Kotsay / Jones DH or OF
Alexei SS
Teahan 3B

:rolleyes:

Yep. Since we missed out on Matsui we aren't going to sign a decent slugger.

Still too early for doom and gloom.

soxinem1
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

And for $6.5 million. I wonder if he's have taken 2/$11 million from KW?

There are a lot of possibilities, and players who can be traded for or signed. It's only mid-December.

Pablo_Honey
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I think his agent might be trying to get other teams to raise their offers by spreading a false rumour. Or they are just trying to simply piss off Kenny. Or the Sox were never in the conversation in the first place. I don't know what the hell is going on anymore :angry:

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM

I am just very upset that we are going to mis on the guy that really made the most sense of the guys that were out there. LH, good OPS, doesn't strike out, and farely cheap.

VMSNS
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
I think his agent might be trying to get other teams to raise their offers by spreading a false rumour. Or they are just trying to simply piss off Kenny. Or the Sox were never in the conversation in the first place. I don't know what the hell is going on anymore :angry:

...perhaps he has plans to return to Japan?

soxinem1
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
...perhaps he has plans to return to Japan?

At the end of the season Matsui and his agent both stated he wants to be in MLB in 2010.

35th and Shields
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
At the end of the season Matsui and his agent both stated he wants to be in MLB in 2010.

That's odd, he must feel the Angles can win it all.

The Angels really are getting a bargain if this is true. The revenue from Japan Matsui will bring should be well over 6 Mill.

The Immigrant
12-14-2009, 05:33 PM

I read somewhere that he lives in Southern California in the offseason. I can see that playing a factor in his decision.

Tragg
12-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Kotsay / Jones DH or OF

If that is what we go with, the Sox are just clowning around - it's just not a serious effort to field a contending team.

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Confirmed.

http://twitter.com/TylerKepner/status/6677353527

gr8mexico
12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
There are these things they just invented called trades. Maybe even sign a Vlad Guerrero. Something will get done. Its not Matsui or bust.The Sox where looking for a LH power bat and Matsui could of helped. Teams are not going to be giving those type of player easily. Maybe the White Sox should be looking into Carlos Delgado now.
He should be ready for spring training and he is younger then Thome.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Confirmed.

http://twitter.com/TylerKepner/status/6677353527

Well, time for a plan B.

Vlad, Thome, Cust, Trade, Crap, and Crap.

This is very frustrating. 2 years in a row the Angels have picked up the bargain of the year for about $6 million.

cards press box
12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree. The Sox still have options with regard to available power hitters and speedsters. With regard to the sluggers, Jim Thome is still out there, as are Vlad Guerrero, Hank Blalock, Russell Branyan, Jack Cust, Carlos Delgado, Aubrey Huff, Mike Jacobs, Adam LaRoche and Rick Ankiel. Nick Johnson and Johnny Damon are also out there; neither is really a slugger but they get on base a lot, especially Johnson. Except for Guerrero, all of the hitters listed above hit from the left side.

As for speedsters/leadoff men. Scott Podsednik and Coco Crisp are also out there and the Dodgers will probably make Juan Pierre available, too, although it is unclear how much of Pierre's salary the Dodgers would pay.

All in all, even if Hideki Matsui signs with the Angels, the Sox have plenty of good options and it is far too early to panic.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
All in all, even if Hideki Matsui signs with the Angels, the Sox have plenty of good options and it is far too early to panic.

They have plenty of good options but only 10 cents to spend.

cards press box
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
They have plenty of good options but only 10 cents to spend.

But that, it seems to me, shouldn't be a problem. If the Yankees sign Damon to be their primary DH, then what AL teams are still going to need a DH? Not many. Texas and Detroit come to mind and perhaps K.C. as well.

The big markets and potential contenders in the AL are set at DH. Seattle signed Ken Griffey. If the Angels signed Matsui, then they don't need another DH. In fact, they once again have a surplus of outfielders. Boston has Ortiz, the Twins have Jason Kubel and Cleveland still has Travis Hafner. It seems that there are more potential DH's than positions available. This is what happened last year and the market eventually reflected that. Look at it this way, Matsui just signed a 1 year deal for half of what he made last year in NY. That should tell us all something about the state of the current market.

LoveYourSuit
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
But that, it seems to me, shouldn't be a problem. If the Yankees sign Damon to be their primary DH, then what AL teams are still going to need a DH? Not many. Texas and Detroit come to mind and perhaps K.C. as well.

The big markets and potential contenders in the AL are set at DH. Seattle signed Ken Griffey. If the Angels signed Matsui, then they don't need another DH. In fact, they once again have a surplus of outfielders. Boston has Ortiz, the Twins have Jason Kubel and Cleveland still has Travis Hafner. It seems that there are more potential DH's than positions available. This is what happened last year and the market eventually reflected that. Look at it this way, Matsui just signed a 1 year deal for half of what he made last year in NY. That should tell us all something about the state of the current market.

I think Matsui was the guy with the least question marks of the list that has been put together (just based on his WS performance and his bounce back season last year).

I rather the Sox go explore the trade market than kicking the tires on a Delgado or taking on Thome or Vlad. Those two looked very washed up last year.

chunk
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree. The Sox still have options with regard to available power hitters and speedsters. With regard to the sluggers, Jim Thome is still out there, as are Vlad Guerrero, Hank Blalock, Russell Branyan, Jack Cust, Carlos Delgado, Aubrey Huff, Mike Jacobs, Adam LaRoche and Rick Ankiel. Nick Johnson and Johnny Damon are also out there; neither is really a slugger but they get on base a lot, especially Johnson. Except for Guerrero, all of the hitters listed above hit from the left side.

As for speedsters/leadoff men. Scott Podsednik and Coco Crisp are also out there and the Dodgers will probably make Juan Pierre available, too, although it is unclear how much of Pierre's salary the Dodgers would pay.

Most of the players you listed are not very good.

I feel that the Sox and apparently most of the fans are settling on mediocrity. Pods, Crisp and Pierre are not very good, yet those are the only players we hear about in LF.

We would be in for a bad year if Hank Blalock, Jack Cust, Aubrey Huff, Mike Jacobs, or Rick Ankiel were the DH. Vlad doesn't have much left. Who knows how Delgado will return from his surgery? I would be extremely happy with Nick Johnson, but I don't think KW values OBP very much. There certainly are options out there, but not many of them are good.

cards press box
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Matsui was the guy with the least question marks of the list that has been put together (just based on his WS performance and his bounce back season last year).

I rather the Sox go explore the trade market than kicking the tires on a Delgado or taking on Thome or Vlad. Those two looked very washed up last year.

What about an "outside the box" acquisition like Adam LaRoche who could play some first base, allowing Paul Konerko to DH more frequently?

cards press box
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
We would be in for a bad year if Hank Blalock, Jack Cust, Aubrey Huff, Mike Jacobs, or Rick Ankiel were the DH.

Don't forget, none of those guys would be the full-time DH. Any of that group would, in all likelihood, platoon with Andruw Jones.

Platoons have worked before. Earl Weaver got an unbelievable year from a platoon of John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke in LF in 1983. Casey Stengel platooned like crazy during the 1950's and it worked out o.k. for him.

A Cust/Jones platoon, for example, could easily produce 30-35 HR and 85-90 RBI, albeit with a batting average around .245.

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I know he is slow and on the downside of his career, but Thome can still hit. Not necessarily for average anymore, but he's still got some pop. With more versatile guys in the lineup, we might not be quite as slow as we were this year.

doublem23
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Matsui's OPS was 11 points higher than Thome's was during his stint in Chicago, hitting in a better lineup in a park that basically pleads for LH hitters to hit HR.

oeo
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

"Angels sign Hunter"
"Angels sign Abreu"

The Sox only had serious interest in Hunter. There was no room for Abreu unless we dealt Dye and I don't remember any interest in Matthews. That was back when everyone was getting massive contracts, he was way too rich for our blood to start with.

chunk
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
The Sox only had serious interest in Hunter. There was no room for Abreu unless we dealt Dye and I don't remember any interest in Matthews. That was back when everyone was getting massive contracts, he was way too rich for our blood to start with.

Yeah, I don't know why people are surprised by this. Didn't KW say he wasn't interested last week?

russ99
12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't forget, none of those guys would be the full-time DH. Any of that group would, in all likelihood, platoon with Andruw Jones.

Platoons have worked before. Earl Weaver got an unbelievable year from a platoon of John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke in LF in 1983. Casey Stengel platooned like crazy during the 1950's and it worked out o.k. for him.

A Cust/Jones platoon, for example, could easily produce 30-35 HR and 85-90 RBI, albeit with a batting average around .245.

That would be a gaping hole in our lineup. I'd rather see a fading Thome back or take a shot on Vlad Guerrero bouncing back than sign a one-dimentional player like Cust. Are we that desperate for homers? Even bringing up Viciedo to DH would be a better idea.

Jones is a good gamble, though especially at his salary. Could turn out great, could be a bust.

Hopefully Kenny's got something else up his sleeves...

DirtySox
12-14-2009, 10:09 PM
That would be a gaping hole in our lineup. I'd rather see a fading Thome back or take a shot on Vlad Guerrero bouncing back than sign a one-dimentional player like Cust. Are we that desperate for homers? Even bringing up Viciedo to DH would be a better idea.

While I agree Cust isn't the answer, Viciedo DHing wouldn't be even close to better. It would be a disaster.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2009, 11:22 PM
OEO:

For what it's worth I was told that Kenny did have interest at one point in Matthews Jr.

Lip

tm1119
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Give me Delgado and Crisp at this point. I had obviously hoped for better, but its not looking great unless there is a really unexpected trade that will happen. We need a LH hitter and I think Delgado could be the cheapest option that can still produce a .270/.360/.900 line. And Crisp is a decent leadoff hitter that will bring plus defense in the OF that will be much needed.

Crisp
Beckham
Quentin
Delgado
PK
AJ
Rios
Alexei
Teahen

^ Could be enough to make a run if our pitching staff stays healthy.

WhiffleBall
12-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Give me Delgado and Crisp at this point. I had obviously hoped for better, but its not looking great unless there is a really unexpected trade that will happen. We need a LH hitter and I think Delgado could be the cheapest option that can still produce a .270/.360/.900 line. And Crisp is a decent leadoff hitter that will bring plus defense in the OF that will be much needed.

Crisp
Beckham
Quentin
Delgado
PK
AJ
Rios
Alexei
Teahen

^ Could be enough to make a run if our pitching staff stays healthy.

I like that lineup but I would be more worried about Crisp, TCQ, and Delgado staying healthy then our pitching staff.