PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox to open season in SYDNEY????

Fenway
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/red-sox-heading-to-australia/story-e6frey6i-1225807298825

Red Sox officials say it isn't true.

PalehosePlanet
12-05-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/red-sox-heading-to-australia/story-e6frey6i-1225807298825

Red Sox officials say it isn't true.

I don't know why MLB would find this appealing.

Were the openers in Japan considered a success?

Noneck
12-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Wonder if the obnoxious blosox zealots will infest the land down under for this. Like a swarm of locusts.

DumpJerry
12-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Do they know round trip tickets to/from Aussie are not available in April, 2010?

Yup. The team and their wonderful fans will be stuck there.

DumpJerry
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Now that I actually read the article, all I have to say in response is:
:chunks
The Manchester United of American Baseball? Nope. Try the obnoxious annoying Yankee wannabees of American Baseball.

Most passionate fans "in the world?" Too funny to respond.

DonnieDarko
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
...how can you even bash trying to get baseball more recognized in other countries? I'm not saying that it'll be bigger than soccer (Latin America proves that), but it couldn't hurt the sport, you know?

EDIT: Okay, I do agree with the "that article sucked" camp on this one.

DSpivack
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
...how can you even bash trying to get baseball more recognized in other countries? I'm not saying that it'll be bigger than soccer (Latin America proves that), but it couldn't hurt the sport, you know?

EDIT: Okay, I do agree with the "that article sucked" camp on this one.

It makes sense to me to send them to a country that plays the damn game. Australia doesn't, and is already maybe the most sports-mad country in the world. Why would baseball latch on there? Because of one or two exhibition games?

DonnieDarko
12-06-2009, 02:23 AM
It makes sense to me to send them to a country that plays the damn game. Australia doesn't, and is already maybe the most sports-mad country in the world. Why would baseball latch on there? Because of one or two exhibition games?

Not saying that it would catch on or not. My apologies if I didn't make that clearer in my previous post. Well, who knows, one day it might. You never can tell. A few exhibition games certainly wouldn't hurt the chance of baseball catching on in Australia, that's for sure.

I just don't see any possible downside to this exhibition game.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I could see it making more sense for them to play a few exhibition games in China, India, or Indonesia, since those nations have much larger populations than Australia. In particular, I think baseball could catch on in India, where cricket is very popular.

rocky biddle
12-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Hopefully on their return flight they get stranded on that island from Lost and we never have to hear from them again.

DumpJerry
12-06-2009, 10:19 AM

This (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/balfogr01.shtml) guy might disagree with your premise that they don't play baseball there.

Hopefully on their return flight they get stranded on that island from Lost and we never have to hear from them again.
POTW!

SI1020
12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
This (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/balfogr01.shtml) guy might disagree with your premise that they don't play baseball there.

POTW! He's not the only one.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/Australia_born.shtml

DSpivack
12-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Those 24 players are nearly all from the last decade or so, too. But I would still bet that the sport there is behind Aussie Rules Football, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Swimming, Cricket, and a couple others. Why not play the games in one of the many countries where baseball is already popular? MLB has gone to Japan before, why not Korea, or Taiwan?

guillen4life13
12-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I could see it making more sense for them to play a few exhibition games in China, India, or Indonesia, since those nations have much larger populations than Australia. In particular, I think baseball could catch on in India, where cricket is very popular.

I don't know that it would work in India. Whenever I've gone there or tried to get family members to watch baseball when they've come here, the common gripe they have with baseball is that players use mitts. Remember, in Cricket, only the wicketkeeper has any protection for his hands. The rest of them are barehanded. This kind of makes them think that our players are pansies.

DumpJerry
12-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know that it would work in India. Whenever I've gone there or tried to get family members to watch baseball when they've come here, the common gripe they have with baseball is that players use mitts. Remember, in Cricket, only the wicketkeeper has any protection for his hands. The rest of them are barehanded. This kind of makes them think that our players are pansies.
About two years ago, I was on the phone with a Microsoft tech supprt guy who was in India. It was a long phone call with lots of downtime as I had to keep re-booting my computer, so the guy would make small talk with me.

He asked me what I do for fun in Chicago. When I told him I went to baseball games, he asked "what is baseball?" I told him it was like Cricket, but lasts only about three hours. He laughed at my joke.

TDog
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM

I have never seen Lost, but a year ago I was hiking on a Pacific island with a group that included a man who recognized the setting as the island from Lost. The tour guide assured us that this indeed was a location for Lost filming.

The island was Oahu, and the trailhead was on the edge of a residential neighborhood in Honolulu Technically, the filming locations were within the city limits of Hawaii's capital city (a deceptive fact when you consider that Alaska's capital city has seven glaciers within its municipal limits).

DumpJerry
12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I have never seen Lost, but a year ago I was hiking on a Pacific island with a group that included a man who recognized the setting as the island from Lost. The tour guide assured us that this indeed was a location for Lost filming.

The island was Oahu, and the trailhead was on the edge of a residential neighborhood in Honolulu Technically, the filming locations were within the city limits of Hawaii's capital city (a deceptive fact when you consider that Alaska's capital city has seven glaciers within its municipal limits).
According to some posters on WSI, Chicago is one big glacier during the winter.......

DonnieDarko
12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
...speaking of glaciers, aren't we supposed to get 10-12 inches of snow on Tuesday? >_>

DumpJerry
12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
...speaking of glaciers, aren't we supposed to get 10-12 inches of snow on Tuesday? >_>
More like thirty feet.