PDA

View Full Version : New 5th starter

neal
06-11-2002, 01:31 PM
From whitesox.com:

The White Sox have struggled this season to get a strong performance from their fifth starter. The latest pitcher to fill the role, Gary Glover, has not been nearly as effective as a starter as he was out of the bullpen earlier in the year. With two days off in the next week, the White Sox are expected to move Glover back to the 'pen and then make a decision on which pitcher will fill in as the fifth starter.

CHICAGO -- It shouldn't be hard for White Sox manager Jerry Manuel to start passing up his fifth starter whenever he gets a chance since he hasn't really had a fifth starter all season.
Even when Jon Rauch was waiting almost three weeks at the beginning of the season for his first start, he was still somewhat of an experiment in the No. 5 slot, or any slot for that matter.

A true rookie who had never thrown a pitch in the Major Leagues before the season began, Rauch went 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA in four starts. The end of his run came when he only retired one Seattle Mariner while giving up two homers and six hits in a 15-4 loss.

By the end of the game, Rauch had been optioned to Triple-A Charlotte.

Enter Gary Glover, who was fantastic in the bullpen with a 1.32 ERA before being asked to take over Rauch's spot. Glover worked himself into starter's shape on the fly, going only three innings and then four innings in his first two starts.

But by the end of his fifth start he still hadn't gone more than five innings and Manuel announced his decision to put Glover back in the bullpen whenever the schedule would allow.

Glover then went out four days later and gave up three hits in seven innings.

Manuel said prior to Glover's start Monday against the Mets that the starter for Sunday's game against the Cubs was "to be announced."

That seemed to indicate Glover could have pitched his way back into the rotation with a good outing against the Mets, but he was unable to do that as he allowed seven hits, including two homers, in 4 2/3 innings as the Sox lost 3-1.

"I kind of was hoping to go out and make the decision tough for him," Glover said. "But I'm sure I'll find out (Tuesday) whether I'll make my next start or he'll use the four-man."

The short-term solution will be to use a pair of off days in the next week to move Glover temporarily to the bullpen and go with a four-man rotation of Mark Buehrle, Todd Ritchie, Jon Garland and Dan Wright.

But that would only solve the problem until a fifth starter is needed, likely on June 22 in Atlanta. Unless Sox general manager Kenny Williams pulls off a trade or somebody in the minors is magically deemed fit for duty, there will be roughly 20 starts to fill during the season's final three months.

The production from the fifth starter has been a problem all season though the Sox have managed to post a 6-5 record in those games.

Only once in any of the 11 starts made by Rauch or Glover did they go more than five innings, putting a strain on a bullpen that has been shaky when it hasn't been overworked but overall has been solid.

The bullpen is fifth in the AL with a 4.03 ERA and has allowed only one run in its last 19 innings, though that one was Vladimir Guerrero's game-winning homer given up by Keith Foulke Saturday night.

Glover had to deal with stopping and starting during Monday night's loss, which was delayed by rain and a power outage, but he didn't use that as an excuse.

It was probably a foregone conclusion that Glover was going to join the bullpen even if he had thrown a complete-game shutout. The Sox are likely to drop a pitcher before heading to Wrigley Field on Friday when they won't be able to use a designated hitter.

"(Manuel) told me before that they're planning on going with the four guys when they have the off day and I know we've got a couple off days coming up," Glover said. "So I'm sure that's what he'll plan on doing. And that probably could have been the same scenario regardless of how I threw the ball tonight."

dougs78
06-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Lets let Ginter have a shot at that role...Might as well see what kind of starter he is before we go think about shipping him off.