PDA

View Full Version : Source: Mariners acqire Figgins

DirtySox
12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10471160/Sources:-Mariners-lead-race-to-sign-3B-Figgins

Interesting. I certainly wouldn't mind a team other than the Yankees/Red Sox signing a marquis free agent. Evidently they also have interest in acquiring Bay and Lackey. Seattle acquiring any of the listed players would be a nice change of pace.

LoveYourSuit
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10471160/Sources:-Mariners-lead-race-to-sign-3B-Figgins

Interesting. I certainly wouldn't mind a team other than the Yankees/Red Sox signing a marquis free agent. Evidently they also have interest in acquiring Bay and Lackey. Seattle acquiring any of the listed players would be a nice change of pace.

Last time the Mariners went on a spending spree they landed Beltre and Sexon. Both became epic busts up there.

getonbckthr
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Last time the Mariners went on a spending spree they landed Beltre and Sexon. Both became epic busts up there.
I think Figgins would play more into thier ballpark opposed to how Sexson and Beltre did.

aryzner
12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind a team other than the Yankees/Red Sox signing a marquis free agent. Seconded!

getonbckthr
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
See this pisses me off though. It says he will probably get 4 years and over 30 million. For arguements sake and easy numbers lets call it 4/32 mil (8 mil per). So far we have added Teahen at 3.575+ because of arbitration raise and Vizquel at 1.4. Thats already 5 million dollars of the 8 we could have used on Figgins. Not to mention still have Getz as a backup infielder and Fields as the backup 3B and 1B. Aggravating!

DumpJerry
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Interesting. I certainly wouldn't mind a team other than the Yankees/Red Sox signing a marquis free agent.
I'm confused. Is this thread about Chone Figgins or Jason Marquis?

DirtySox
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm confused. Is this thread about Chone Figgins or Jason Marquis?

Is it bad form to edit spelling mistakes after they have been pointed out? :(: I blame the baseball obsession.

tm1119
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
4 years is probably 1 too many for Figgins. Not sure if I would go that far with him. His production is going to drop off significantly once his speed starts to diminish. He could remain productive throughout, but at age 32 already how long is that killer speed he has going to last?

Bobby Thigpen
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
See this pisses me off though. It says he will probably get 4 years and over 30 million. For arguements sake and easy numbers lets call it 4/32 mil (8 mil per). So far we have added Teahen at 3.575+ because of arbitration raise and Vizquel at 1.4. Thats already 5 million dollars of the 8 we could have used on Figgins. Not to mention still have Getz as a backup infielder and Fields as the backup 3B and 1B. Aggravating!
You weren't going to have Fields as a backup regardless of whether or not he was packaged for Teahen. His time in the orgainization was done.

LoveYourSuit
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Let's not forget had not for these moves you would be going into next season with a crappy bench once again as we did this past season.

I rather have a strong veteran bench than being handcuff with a $8 million per year on Chone Figgins.

I think a strong power bat is a bigger need for us right now.

oeo
12-03-2009, 10:15 PM

We were the front runners for Torii Hunter and were supposed to agree to terms on a contract following the weekend after Thanksgiving, IIRC, only to have the Angels swoop in and grab him before the weekend was over. Until a contract is signed there's no reason to be aggravated.

DumpJerry
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Fields left the team on July 30th when he told Kenny he wanted to be traded.

We were front runners for Torii Hunter and were supposed to agree to terms on a contract the weekend after Thanksgiving, IIRC, only to have the Angels swoop in and grab him before the weekend was over. Until a contract is signed there's no reason to be aggravated.
Yes.

gr8mexico
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I think next year Chone Figgins will equal Coco Crisp.
The Sox need a CF and Coco Crisp could hold down CF until
Jordan Danks or Jared Mitchell are ready for the big leagues.

Domeshot17
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Im very glad Figgins will not be on the Sox. I also would hardly consider him a premier free agent. The only reason the guy was an all star this year was because he was there and able to fill a spot on a minutes notice. He isn't worth 8 mil a year, not even close.

Thatguyoverthere
12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Figgins would be one of the worst "marquee" free agent signings ever. No thanks at that salary. I'm glad we weren't ever going to get him. Give me the power bat.

NLaloosh
12-04-2009, 01:36 AM
I think Figgins is worth 3 years/$ 18 mil.

russ99
12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

No contest there. Crisp isn't even close to what Figgins brings on offense and defense, and there's those surgeries Crisp had this season too.

Besides, Alex Rios is our CF.

Figgins at 4/30? Not too shabby. I wonder if Kenny's interested again, especially since that's right around what Jenks would make next year....

No idea, just saying... Leadoff is our biggest need.

Sargeant79
12-04-2009, 09:00 AM
No contest there. Crisp isn't even close to what Figgins brings on offense and defense, and there's those surgeries Crisp had this season too.

Besides, Alex Rios is our CF.

Figgins at 4/30? Not too shabby. I wonder if Kenny's interested again, especially since that's right around what Jenks would make next year....

No idea, just saying... Leadoff is our biggest need.

I agree with most of this, but I'm not sure leadoff really is the biggest need right now. It was the biggest need when we still had a middle of the order of Dye, Thome, and Konerko being productive. With 2 of those 3 gone, I'd venture to say a middle of the order power bat is actually our biggest need.

Domeshot17
12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree with most of this, but I'm not sure leadoff really is the biggest need right now. It was the biggest need when we still had a middle of the order of Dye, Thome, and Konerko being productive. With 2 of those 3 gone, I'd venture to say a middle of the order power bat is actually our biggest need.

BINGO (although 4 for 30 on Figgins is just pissed away money)

Leadoff is an area that needs to be figured out. However, its much easier to find someone who can lead off then it is someone to knock them in. A middle of the order of Beckham Quentin Konerko won't cut it. We need to find a left handed power hitter to put inside that group. I still contend Adam Dunn is a great fit here, Carlos Delgado could be a steal depending on the price.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Mariners about to sign him. 4 yrs, 36 mil range.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10474818/Source:-M%27s,-Figgins-on-verge-of-$36M-contract

getonbckthr
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Figgins would be one of the worst "marquee" free agent signings ever. No thanks at that salary. I'm glad we weren't ever going to get him. Give me the power bat.
who's that? Vizquel or Teahen?

Sockinchisox
12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
who's that? Vizquel or Teahen?

I wasn't aware the season started tomorrow.

russ99
12-04-2009, 02:41 PM
BINGO (although 4 for 30 on Figgins is just pissed away money)

Leadoff is an area that needs to be figured out. However, its much easier to find someone who can lead off then it is someone to knock them in. A middle of the order of Beckham Quentin Konerko won't cut it. We need to find a left handed power hitter to put inside that group. I still contend Adam Dunn is a great fit here, Carlos Delgado could be a steal depending on the price.

I disagree. Sluggers are a dime a dozen, especially in the FA market, but a good leadoff hitter is hard to find. Look at recent years for the Sox... It's easy to find a bad leadoff hitter (like Crisp or Willy Tavarez), since there are only 10-12 good ones.

Now that Figgins is about to be signed by Seattle, I guess I have to hold out hope for Brian Roberts. (teal?)

spawn
12-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, if the reports are right, you'll have to ammend that to 5 of the 12 million it would cost to sign him. I'm sorry, but that's a little to pricey for Figgins. I like his game, but I don't think he's worth 12 million a year.

tm1119
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
The new figure is at 4/35 mil. Probably around a mil or 2 too much a year and 1 year too many. Guess you almost have to over pay nowadays to sign good FA's.

thomas35forever
12-04-2009, 05:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4714327
They could use a spark.

Foulke You
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Im very glad Figgins will not be on the Sox. I also would hardly consider him a premier free agent. The only reason the guy was an all star this year was because he was there and able to fill a spot on a minutes notice. He isn't worth 8 mil a year, not even close.
I tend to agree. He is a nice player to have and very versatile but not worth the years and payroll investment at age 32. If he was 27, I might think differently of this signing by the M's. I also was put off by the lack of production Figgins has featured in October. (I know, I know, you have to get there first...) I really think Figgins came on the free agent market at a perfect time when a lot of teams were looking for a leadoff hitter. The fact that you can play him pretty much all over the diamond makes him a perfect fit on many teams. Good for Figgins and his agent. I'm just glad it wasn't KW making this deal.

soxinem1
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
They are making it sound like Figgins at 3B and Wilson at SS is the best defensive left-side INF in MLB.

They also might get about 10 HR and 100 RBI combined. SEA needs some bats with power.

That's okay, though. KW will get him in 2012 with the M's paying half his salary and put him in CF!!:smile:

chunk
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
A 1-2 of Figgins and Ichiro, in either order, is a great combo that will give other teams fits.

DSpivack
12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
They are making it sound like Figgins at 3B and Wilson at SS is the best defensive left-side INF in MLB.

They also might get about 10 HR and 100 RBI combined. SEA needs some bats with power.

That's okay, though. KW will get him in 2012 with the M's paying half his salary and put him in CF!!:smile:

Supposedly the M's are after Bay, too. Don't know where they're getting all that $$ from. Do they have a bunch of contracts off the books or is Nintendo fealing generous?

goofymsfan
12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Supposedly the M's are after Bay, too. Don't know where they're getting all that $$ from. Do they have a bunch of contracts off the books or is Nintendo fealing generous?

Here is an article (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091130&content_id=7731566&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea) that explains the M's flexibility

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2009, 11:20 PM

From all those Nintendo Wii's that have been sold over the last few years, along with the games, accessories, etc.

SMO
:gulp:

stevemcstud
12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
The only thing I thought of when I read the deal amount was if we just didn't have Rios....

DirtySox
12-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Then we would have 2 OF spots to fill instead of 1.

NLaloosh
12-05-2009, 07:10 AM
The only thing I thought of when I read the deal amount was if we just didn't have Rios....

I understand what you're saying because it sure seems like he's not worth his contract. But, the way I see it is that more than likely he continues to play like his career history and he didn't cost the Sox any draft picks or other talent.

And, he's ready right now. They don't have to wait for seasoning or development. I predict that if Rios performs like he did in 2008 and 2007 he will be a fan favorite for years in Chicago.

The move only looks bad now because he had a down year last year. That's the risk. If he bounces back there will be no grumbling. If he doesn't then it will turn out to be a bad risk but atleast it only cost money.

spawn
12-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Looks like it's a done deal:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-figgins&prov=ap&type=lgns

Domeshot17
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
9 mil per, HA, so not worth it, thank you Kenny for staying the hell away from this.

SoxSpeed22
12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Figgins is 31 and getting a 4 year deal. That won't be an albatross contract anytime soon.

soxfanreggie
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM

We more need a leadoff hitter. Rios can play CF next season while we wait for a youngster to step up, but he can't lead off. If we can get a leadoff hitter, he can play LF or RF with Quentin playing the other. Or, if we pick up another OF, Quentin could DH. I'd rather get a LH power stick to DH and put Quentin in RF, but I'm not sure what our budget is for the DH position. If we don't have the money, it may mean having to try and get Thome on the cheap for a season.