PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Harry Caray article

russ99
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
From the golden years on the South Side:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094077/index.htm?eref=sircrc&eref=sisf

Man, I miss the real Harry... Do you think any current broadcaster could get away with what he used to do?

soxinem1
12-03-2009, 04:50 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094077/index.htm?eref=sircrc&eref=sisf

Man, I miss the real Harry... Do you think any current broadcaster could get away with what he used to do?

No way. Even Harry himself would not. Different times, different attitudes.....

And different technology!

Can you imagine all the YouTube videos of Harry on Rush? Every jerk with a camcorder, cell phone, or camera, and most news outlets, would have a field day.

And all those still-shots on TV showing attractive women in tank-tops and Harry spitting all over himself and laughing, followed by his patented pause, then 'Hey, look at those!' comments will not fly today.

Waysouthsider
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Absolutely not.......times have sure changed...

Thanks for the great read....most fun I've had all day...:D:

all*star quentin
12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Wasn't Harry called "The Mayor of Rush Street"?

russ99
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Wasn't Harry called "The Mayor of Rush Street"?

Yes he was. And the title was deserved... :D:

Harry was awesome with the Sox. He and Jimmy Piersall really told it like it was to the fans and pulled no punches. They didn't care if they annoyed ownership, Sox or opposing players, or anyone for that matter, but had fun at the ballpark and made it more fun for the fans at the park and watching/listening at home too.

If all you remember of Harry was that watered-down version of himself with the Cubs, that's too bad.

Woofer
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Harry was the Sox in the 70's. He achieved world wide fame with the Cubs, but he was beloved in Chicago way before his time with the Cubs. You younger people who grew up on Cubs Harry don't realize how popular Sox Harry was. He was huge with the Sox, only more huge with the Cubs.

WhiteSoxOnly
12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
"There goes Miss Texas walking by...what happened Jimmy" ?

or

"Boy oy boy...the Sox had a great chance to tie the game in
the 9th if it wasn't for such STUPID baserunning by Soderholm" !

Madvora
12-04-2009, 08:00 AM
I never got to see Harry with the White Sox. This article is great to hear about what he was like. It makes it seem like Comiskey was like Wrigley Field back then.

russ99
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I never got to see Harry with the White Sox. This article is great to hear about what he was like. It makes it seem like Comiskey was like Wrigley Field back then.

Well, it wasn't really ever like Wrigley. Just working class Joes having night off and enjoying themselves at a game. And of course the burnouts and idiot kids, myself included. See the Park Life (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Life-Summer-1977-Comiskey/dp/0970727801) book for an example. Edit - didn't realize there was a feature on the book here at WSI (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Elliott/ParkLife1977.htm)...

There was never any kind of yuppie boozing or frat-house scene, but that wasn't really going on at Wrigley in the 70s either.

Not sure if I'd trade that 1977 Sox season for any other I've been through - except for 2005, of course.
They didn't win anything, but it sure was a blast.

Jimmy Piersall
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, it wasn't really ever like Wrigley. Just working class Joes having night off and enjoying themselves at a game. And of course the burnouts and idiot kids, myself included. See the Park Life (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Life-Summer-1977-Comiskey/dp/0970727801) book for an example. Edit - didn't realize there was a feature on the book here at WSI (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Elliott/ParkLife1977.htm)...

There was never any kind of yuppie boozing or frat-house scene, but that wasn't really going on at Wrigley in the 70s either.

Not sure if I'd trade that 1977 Sox season for any other I've been through - except for 2005, of course.
They didn't win anything, but it sure was a blast.

That it was Russ.Seemed like every home game was a giant party.
There were many nights,at least up until they started to lose steam,that
the place was the loudest i'd ever heard for an out door ballpark.
All of the big boppers doing their thing.Lerrin LaGrow closing.:o:
One of the great summers of my youth.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
"There's a gal, her measurements must be 85. Nobody can be that big. All you can say is Holy Cow!!!"

Opening Day vs. the Angels at freezing Comiskey Park, April 1974.

The audio cut at the end of my interview with Bill Mercer is the essential Harry Caray!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3890

Lip

FielderJones
12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
"There's a gal, her measurements must be 85. Nobody can be that big. All you can say is Holy Cow!!!"

Morganna, the Kissing Bandit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganna)?

LITTLE NELL
12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Old Comiskey since I have followed the Sox (1952) was never like Wrigley, real baseball fans attended games at Comiskey.
Even in the 50s the Cubs were selling the ballpark and not the team. "Come out to beautiful Wrigley Field and the wonderful sunshine". Most of the fans in the bleachers in those days were there to get sun tans and eat Smokey Links. I can honestly say that from the mid 50s to 1969 that the Cubs never came close to a sellout. The upper deck was closed most of the time. On the other hand the Sox were contending every year and fans showed up in large numbers for those days (1,000,000 was the goal of every team). They were there to watch great baseball, not to get sun tans.
As for Harry, I loved him when he did the Sox games and it hurt when he left us to go to the Cubs, it was very sad to watch and listen to him in his last years with the Cubs. The best thing about Harry was how he could make every game sound like the 7th game of the World Series regardless of where the Sox were in the standings.

Sox
12-06-2009, 12:45 AM

Great article......:bandance:

SI1020
12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Old Comiskey since I have followed the Sox (1952) was never like Wrigley, real baseball fans attended games at Comiskey.
Even in the 50s the Cubs were selling the ballpark and not the team. "Come out to beautiful Wrigley Field and the wonderful sunshine". Most of the fans in the bleachers in those days were there to get sun tans and eat Smokey Links. I can honestly say that from the mid 50s to 1969 that the Cubs never came close to a sellout. The upper deck was closed most of the time. On the other hand the Sox were contending every year and fans showed up in large numbers for those days (1,000,000 was the goal of every team). They were there to watch great baseball, not to get sun tans.
As for Harry, I loved him when he did the Sox games and it hurt when he left us to go to the Cubs, it was very sad to watch and listen to him in his last years with the Cubs. The best thing about Harry was how he could make every game sound like the 7th game of the World Series regardless of where the Sox were in the standings. I agree with everything you posted, though I only go back to 1957 for rooting and 58 for attending games. I remember those Wrigley Field commercials very well. You're right, the Comiskey experience has never been like Wrigley.

LongLiveFisk
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
As for Harry, I loved him when he did the Sox games and it hurt when he left us to go to the Cubs, it was very sad to watch and listen to him in his last years with the Cubs. The best thing about Harry was how he could make every game sound like the 7th game of the World Series regardless of where the Sox were in the standings.

I always attributed the rise of Cubs' popularity to Harry. Take him out of the equation and I think it's business as usual on the north side.

Just my two cents.

soxinem1
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I always attributed the rise of Cubs' popularity to Harry. Take him out of the equation and I think it's business as usual on the north side.

Just my two cents.

You are correct, IMO. The facts bear that out.

Sox attendance increased over 50% soon and ratings jumped on TV-44 after Harry came here. And when he left the White Sox his hawking the sponsor's beer and the team he worked for carried on when he crossed over.

The big difference was, free TV and nationwide cable coverage on WGN for CHC, pay TV and very few air broadcasts for the White Sox. All it took was the division title of 1984 to push them to the next step. And with Harry leading the way, it was amazing to watch the cubs surge in popularity, even from the eyes of a devoted White Sox fan.

Can you imagine what it would have been like with Harry at the mike not only on free TV, but him calling the games leading up to and including the division clincher in 1983? This town would have been a White Sox town from then on.

Instead, fans from then can only recall Reinsdorf standing next to a rarely-speechless Hawk Harrelson calling Harry 'scum' the night they win the division in 1983.

So much for winning with class and pissing off the many thousands who still loved Harry on this side of town. After all, he was gone less than two years so we all still had Harry on our minds then.

Yet nearly two generations grew up with the cubs on free TV at the flick of a dial, all the more impressive since cable didn't come to Chicago until 1986. Once it did, ON-TV was dead, and even WPWR-TV 50 only carried a few air broadcast games.

Nothing against Hawk and Don Drysdale because they were excellent and entertaining, but nobody saw them, and they didn't have the following already set in place with Harry spending eleven seasons in the booth.

I believe Harry leaving and Sportsvision did a lot to change the course of baseball in this town.

Talk about taking a walk through parallel time...........

Lip Man 1
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip