PDA

View Full Version : Organizational report

Daver
06-11-2002, 12:25 PM
From Baseball America.

Chicago White Sox
Pitching Transition

CHICAGO–Few organizations are more open-minded about converting position players into pitchers than the White Sox.

They did it with three players in the low minors last season and now have taken on two high-profile assignments–giving long-ago first-round draft choices Brooks Kieschnick and Jason Dellaero the chance to pitch.

Kieschnick, 29, was an All-American as both a pitcher and a hitter at Texas. The Cubs drafted and developed him exclusively as an outfielder/first baseman. He hit enough to get to the big leagues in parts of four seasons with the Cubs, Reds and Rockies, compiling .220-8-27 numbers in 173 at-bats.

Kieschnick was planning a comeback as a pitcher in an independent league when the White Sox signed him after watching a workout. The Sox were impressed enough to put Kieschnick on their Triple-A Charlotte roster.

He doubles as a DH, filling the role vacated by Jose Canseco. In his pitching debut, Kieschnick struck out the side in a mop-up inning.

"He might be able to do it," Cubs vice president Jim Hendry said of Kieschnick. "He’s a great guy. He’d run through a wall for you. I wish him the best."

Dellaero, a first-round pick of the White Sox in 1997 out of South Florida, played shortstop for the White Sox in 1999 but had not hit enough at Double-A Birmingham or Charlotte to get back to the big leagues. He flashed his potential as a pitcher during a one-inning cameo in mid-April but had been reluctant to make the change permanent. He was pitching and playing shortstop after being demoted to Birming-ham in May.

Dellaero got credit for a win after a one-inning stint just after his demotion. He was 1-0, 1.80 after five innings for the Barons. He had struck out five, walked two and hit a batter.

Rolando Garza, a former shortstop, is pitching for high Class A Winston-Salem. Julio Castro, a former infielder, and Paulino Reynoso, a former first baseman, are pitching for low Class A Kannapolis.

Chi-Lites

Lefthander Corey Lee, acquired from the Rangers in a trade for Herbert Perry, pitched well enough out of the bullpen to move into Charlotte’s rotation. He was 3-1, 3.34 through his first 18 games, including one start.

Charlotte pitchers are serving up home runs at a record pace. The Knights staff had allowed 77 in 50 games, putting it on a pace to allow 222 for the season. Pawtucket set the International League record by allowing 178 in 1998. Jim Parque (16) and Delvis Lantigua (10) were among the league leaders in homers allowed.

duke of dorwood
06-11-2002, 12:27 PM
:butter

Even Infielders pitch better than me.

duke of dorwood
06-11-2002, 12:28 PM
With all the pitchers we draft, I wonder about all these conversions.

Cheryl
06-11-2002, 12:45 PM
With all these pitchers around, I wonder why we have so little pitching at this level.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2002, 12:56 PM
"I wonder if I could play shortstop?"

Dadawg_77
06-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Not to totaly defend Butter and the rest of the AAA staff, but the park at Charlotte (from what I heard and have read) is bandbox. Balls that would be pop ups in Chicago, are HR five rows back. So naturally our pitchers would be among the leaders in giving up the long ball down there. I am not sure how long we have played down in the park and how this year's numbers compares to last year's numbers.

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Watch out for Parque next year. I think he is going to be a pleasant suprise in spring training.

DrWatson27
06-11-2002, 03:17 PM
:hitless

"I can pitch-put me in Pappa Jerry"

dougs78
06-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"I wonder if I could play shortstop?"

LOL...now thats funny! I can just see him over there pouting after dropping another dribbler.