I'd rather have a stocking stocking.

I Loled.

Fenway
12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Would a mod change that to stocking stuffer please :tongue:

whitem0nkey
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
who is that lady in the 3rd pick?

fyi: im 29, should i know her? or have the :geezer: that post here sanded me and my edge down?

DumpJerry
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
The red background on the cover tells me that Buehrle will sign with the Cardinals the first chance he gets.

What's really cool is that it is the New York Times and they chose Burls and not the Yankees winning it all.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I think Griffey was on the 2009 version. On the back. AND IN A SOX UNI! :redneck

BleacherBandit
12-02-2009, 09:35 PM

fyi: im 29, should i know her? or have the :geezer: that post here sanded me and my edge down?

I think that's Taylor Swift.

I don't think that even the Times would have put the Yankees on the front cover. Somebody has to win the world series, however, a perfect game is something that only happens every few years. And it is an yearly almanac, after all. Also, maybe they chose the pictures before the Yankees won the world series.

doublem23
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I think that's Taylor Swift.

I don't think that even the Times would have put the Yankees on the front cover. Somebody has to win the world series, however, a perfect game is something that only happens every few years. And it is an yearly almanac, after all. Also, maybe they chose the pictures before the Yankees won the world series.

It is Carrie Underwood.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-talk-chicagoans-almanacdec02,0,2064099.story

JohnnyInnsbrook
12-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Meh ... with this I would know the outcome of every game up until...wait a minute... damn!!!:angry:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/thumb/1/13/Almanacfront.jpg/300px-Almanacfront.jpg

Fenway
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
The red background on the cover tells me that Buehrle will sign with the Cardinals the first chance he gets.

What's really cool is that it is the New York Times and they chose Burls and not the Yankees winning it all.

The NY Times owns 17.5 percent of a team 206 miles northeast of the Bronx :)

BleacherBandit
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
It is Carrie Underwood.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-talk-chicagoans-almanacdec02,0,2064099.story

Meh. Same person to me. I don't like quasi-country music.

doublem23
12-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Meh. Same person to me. I don't like quasi-country music.

Neither do I, I don't even know who Taylor Swift is, but I read a blurb about the cover in the RedEye and I knew that wasn't the name I read.

Nellie_Fox
12-03-2009, 12:08 AM

fyi: im 29, should i know her? or have the :geezer: that post here sanded me and my edge down?Oh, sure, blame the old guys here. How in hell are we responsible for your edge? :tongue:

BringBackBlkJack
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Meh ... with this I would know the outcome of every game up until...wait a minute... damn!!!:angry:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/thumb/1/13/Almanacfront.jpg/300px-Almanacfront.jpg

You knew the Back to the Future II sports predictions were off as soon as they said the Cubs would win the World Series over Miami. :redneck

DumpJerry
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
You knew the Back to the Future II sports predictions were off as soon as they said the Cubs would win the World Series over Miami. :redneck
That was on a billboard, not the book which was 100% correct on all outcomes.

NardiWasHere
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM

I never understood how that almanac contained every single result from every single baseball, football, boxing, and horseracing contest for half a century.... Yet, its like the length of a "Better Homes and Gardens".

Meanwhile, Biff becomes an ultra-rich megabillionaire but he decides to stay in Hill Valley and marry Lea Thompson (who, don't get me wrong, was a looker back in the day... but I think Biff and his newly found fortune could do a little bit better.)

I also like how the writers of Back to the Future II thought people would be driving flying cars in 2015, wear clothes with computers in them, playing with floating skateboards, using flying robots to replace journalists.... Yet people would still need to reference an almanac in order to look up a sports score.

Also... Doc gets so pissed when anyone else wants to alter their future or their past (Marty wanting to bet on sports, Marty telling him he will get shot in 1985 etc.) YET, that selfish hypocrite does whatever he damn well pleases.... ex. going to he future to get Marty's kid out of trouble (who even gives a ****), reading the letter Michael J. Fox gave him about his future, marrying Ted Danson's wife and removing her from the 1800's etc. etc. etc.

The second film sucks. 1 & 3 are where its at.

DSpivack
12-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I also like how the writers of Back to the Future II thought people would be driving flying cars in 2015, wear clothes with computers in them, playing with floating skateboards, using flying robots to replace journalists.... Yet people would still need to reference an almanac in order to look up a sports score.

The future ain't what it used to be.

Irishsox1
12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I never understood how that almanac contained every single result from every single baseball, football, boxing, and horseracing contest for half a century.... Yet, its like the length of a "Better Homes and Gardens".

Meanwhile, Biff becomes an ultra-rich megabillionaire but he decides to stay in Hill Valley and marry Lea Thompson (who, don't get me wrong, was a looker back in the day... but I think Biff and his newly found fortune could do a little bit better.)

Also... Doc gets so pissed when anyone else wants to alter their future or their past (Marty wanting to bet on sports, Marty telling him he will get shot in 1985 etc.) YET, that selfish hypocrite does whatever he damn well pleases.... ex. going to he future to get Marty's kid out of trouble (who even gives a ****), reading the letter Michael J. Fox gave him about his future, marrying Ted Danson's wife and removing her from the 1800's etc. etc. etc.

AMEN!! Although I preferred shopping at Lone Pine Mall, rather than Twin Pines Mall.

SephClone89
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Wasn't the almanac found at an antique shop though? I haven't seen the movie in ages.

Foulke You
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Wasn't the almanac found at an antique shop though? I haven't seen the movie in ages.
Yes, the almanac was purchased at an antique store where they also featured a quaint little device called a "dustbuster".:cool: I happen to like BTF2 though along with the other two movies. Not to rain on Nardi's epic rant on BTF2's writing but isn't the whole concept of a DeLorean car that's also a time machine pretty far fetched? It's a fun movie trilogy, let's leave it at that. As the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 once sang: "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes- and other science facts-repeat to yourself- it's just a show- I should really just re-lax!" :tongue:

Jim Shorts
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Nardi - I gotta ask...who is that in your sig pic? That woman is stunning. No offense meant, I'm just sayin

soxinem1
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
When I first read this I thought it was stocking-stuffer ideas for the team.

If that was the case, I was ready to suggest a LF with a high steals total and an OBP of at least .400.:smile:

Santa can also stuff a good relief pitcher in that stocking too.

NardiWasHere
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Nardi - I gotta ask...who is that in your sig pic? That woman is stunning. No offense meant, I'm just sayin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Smith

She wore the Sox hat during one of those Celeb Softball games at All-Star weekend a few years ago

g0g0
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
My wife just got my the
Total White Sox: The Definitive Encyclopedia of the World Champion Franchise

http://www.amazon.com/Total-White-Sox-Definitive-Encyclopedia/dp/157243919X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For some reason I thought it went to 2008 not 2006, but still a great book! I can't wait to go through it more.

chisoxfanatic
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
They should have Obama in his Sox jacket throwing out the first pitch at the All Star Game in the middle instead. :tongue:

Seriously, that cover looks cool!

twinsuck
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
omg Buehrle's on the cover. :D::D:

twentywontowin
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM

The almanac was purchased at an antique store. Look at the date only going to 2000. Even in 2000, internet usage wasn't like it was today.

Biff stuck with Lorraine because that was his ultimate prize since he was in high school. Plus, she was pretty much a desperate pushover in alternate 1985.

As for the 2015 depiction, look at any movie that portrays the future. You see flying cars and a lot of black and stainless steel. They went for a look that wasn't so much it was built in 2015, but years beforehand, and pretty much hit a lot of it except for the flying car.

And Doc wasn't reckless, he knew of the problems of time travel. There's a plot hole here. Doc catches Marty's son and daughter in the 2015 scandal, but yet in the third move says your future isn't written, but whatever you make it. So they pretty much contradicted the whole second movie in the third.

And that's enough BTTF nerd stuff for one night.

hi im skot
12-03-2009, 11:11 PM

The book was purchased from an antique shop. A Dust Buster made an appearance, too.

For the record, Part III is awful.

TomParrish79
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
As the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 once sang: "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes- and other science facts-repeat to yourself- it's just a show- I should really just re-lax!" :tongue:

Any time MST3K gets a mention its great. And I liked BTTF 2 as well.

Fun fact: BTTF2 and 3 were one of the first movies that were filmed back to back to complete a trilogy.

Nellie_Fox
12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Any time MST3K gets a mention its great. With Joel, it was one of the best TV shows around. With Mike, it was not so good.

thomas35forever
12-05-2009, 01:07 AM
That theory can still hold water. The Marlins are already becoming the Miami Marlins once they move into their new ballpark in a few years. Now they just have to move to the AL to make it possible.:tongue::redneck

waldo_the_wolf
12-05-2009, 05:43 AM
That theory can still hold water. The Marlins are already becoming the Miami Marlins once they move into their new ballpark in a few years. Now they just have to move to the AL to make it possible.:tongue::redneck

And they'd have to change their mascot to an Alligator.

TommyJohn
12-05-2009, 09:56 AM

And they'd have to change their mascot to an Alligator.
It's Gonna Happen.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
With Joel, it was one of the best TV shows around. With Mike, it was not so good.

I liked both. It's kinda like Curly and Shemp: they played the same role in different styles unique to them. Joel was the sarcastic brainy inventor and Mike was the lovable sap. I thought both worked, and it helps I was introduced to the show when Mike was the host, with me not catching an episode with Joel until I bought a compilation years later.