PDA

View Full Version : Winter Meetings in Indy

Bucky F. Dent
12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
December 7 through the 10th.

Not sure that it's a fan friendly event. Anyone ever been? I'd love to have Ozzie sign my world series ball, but I'm not sure that he's attending or that the opportunty will be there even if he is.

Anyone have any insight on how the Winter meetings are run from a fan perspective

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Just hang out at the airport baggage claim. You never know what phone conversations you might overhear.
:tongue:

Bucky F. Dent
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Just hang out at the airport baggage claim. You never know what phone conversations you might overhear.

Twenty years ago I might have actually done that. :D:

Lundind1
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Being in the baseball industry, it is not really a place to get autographs. I am going there to look for a better job along with a few other people that I know.

Anyone interested in working for a baseball team should go to www.pbeo.com (http://www.pbeo.com) and register for the thing.

Other than that, it is really a business of baseball kinda thing. I really don't mean to be blunt about it but if you want that autograph, go to SoxFest.

all*star quentin
12-02-2009, 09:27 PM
December 7 through the 10th.

Not sure that it's a fan friendly event. Anyone ever been? I'd love to have Ozzie sign my world series ball, but I'm not sure that he's attending or that the opportunty will be there even if he is.

Anyone have any insight on how the Winter meetings are run from a fan perspective

Find out what hotel he's staying at...I've heard that Ozzie is very nice away from "the cell". He'll probably autograph the WS ball for you. Don't forget a pen!

RockJock07
12-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Being in the baseball industry, it is not really a place to get autographs. I am going there to look for a better job along with a few other people that I know.

Anyone interested in working for a baseball team should go to www.pbeo.com (http://www.pbeo.com) and register for the thing.

Other than that, it is really a business of baseball kinda thing. I really don't mean to be blunt about it but if you want that autograph, go to SoxFest.

Agreed, I work for a AAA team and I have found that players/gm's/managers don't really don't want to sign autographs in those settings. Spring Training is the best place for those.

Also, if you're looking for a job, the job fair is great, guaranteed interviews, it's pretty awesome.

dwalteroo
12-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Agreed, I work for a AAA team and I have found that players/gm's/managers don't really don't want to sign autographs in those settings. Spring Training is the best place for those.

Also, if you're looking for a job, the job fair is great, guaranteed interviews, it's pretty awesome.

So you are saying this is a good shot at a minor league job. Can you tell us your experience? And how moving up works?

Taliesinrk
12-05-2009, 10:44 PM

I had an e-mail all typed up ready to send to my brother (currently out of work), and then I read the part about having to pay to get into the fair. Now maybe it's just me because I'm not a "job fair veteran", but I thought that job fairs were typically made of of people looking for jobs, and I would think that people looking for jobs, more times than not, don't have jobs (especially since this is targeted for "entry level positions"... per their website). And because people without jobs (and looking for them) typically don't have as much money, I'd think that $250 may not the best. Then again, maybe that's how to ensure they get people that really want to work for them.

parlaycard
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I dont think Ozzie is down at the meetings. He was in Chicago just yesterday.

soxinem1
12-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Isn't that how someone overheard the deal that helped Chris Singleton start his new career impersonating a radio broadcaster?

It doesn't take long to go to Indy. He still might show up.

oeo
12-06-2009, 04:23 AM

It's a three hour drive from Chicago and it doesn't start until Monday.

HomeFish
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I actually saw Roberto Alomar at the airport once. He was on his cell phone too. The conversation had nothing to do with baseball though.

Lundind1
12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I had an e-mail all typed up ready to send to my brother (currently out of work), and then I read the part about having to pay to get into the fair. Now maybe it's just me because I'm not a "job fair veteran", but I thought that job fairs were typically made of of people looking for jobs, and I would think that people looking for jobs, more times than not, don't have jobs (especially since this is targeted for "entry level positions"... per their website). And because people without jobs (and looking for them) typically don't have as much money, I'd think that $250 may not the best. Then again, maybe that's how to ensure they get people that really want to work for them.

If you register on their website early, it is only like $75 total. And that gets you into all of their events for the year. They do other thing other than just the job fair at the winter meetings. They also have an exhaustive job board that is so much better for baseball jobs other than places like teamworkonline.com or stuff like that.

I wrote this mainly as an FYI to people.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
If you register on their website early, it is only like $75 total. And that gets you into all of their events for the year. They do other thing other than just the job fair at the winter meetings. They also have an exhaustive job board that is so much better for baseball jobs other than places like teamworkonline.com or stuff like that.

I wrote this mainly as an FYI to people.

I know you were writing as an FYI and I appreciate it (as I'm sure others do as well). I wasn't trying to complain to you, just kind of going on a tangent about how I thought it was a lot to ask a lot of unemployed job-seekers. Anywho, thanks.

RockJock07
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
So you are saying this is a good shot at a minor league job. Can you tell us your experience? And how moving up works?

It's a great shot at a minor league jobs or internships. The job fair is nuts, interviews everywhere, not in depth but more like get to know you and see what your like. What's great though is that most every GM, assistant GM, and sales manager from every minor league team is there so it's a great opportunity to actually get in front of alot of decisions makers.

Teamwork Online is also great however when you search for jobs on that site, don't apply through Teamwork because I've found that most of the applications go to someone in the teams HR dept. which "filter" the candidate and basically you're just another number. My advice is if you see a job you're interested in, go to that team's website, find the contact info for the GM (if its a minor league team) or the director of sales/marketing etc and email them your cover letter and resume instead of going through Teamwork. The contact may come back and say to apply via teamwork but at least you've been proactive.

If you're looking for an internship, the minor leagues are great. I interned with the Kane County Cougars which is a very respected internship program within the minor league baseball community.

The PBEO job fair and Teamwork are great resources to find a job in baseball. If you ever have a chance to go to the winter meetings, go because you won't find that many decision makers in one place looking to interviews to hire people.

munchman33
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Working in events I can tell you that it's a pretty common practice. It's not the employers or the facility, but whoever is running the fair. They usually charge the vendors and the participants in an effort to cover the facility costs and turn a profit.

stacksedwards
12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Closed to public. Go to St. Elmo's if you want to see Jerry, Kenny and Ozzie

skobabe8
12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Closed to public. Go to St. Elmo's if you want to see Jerry, Kenny and Ozzie

Where are the meetings held at, stacks?

One of the downtown hotels? Or the convention center?

stacksedwards
12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Marriott downtown. I'm locked in law school library till the 11th but I might try to eat dinner at place inside the hotel tomorrow just to see if anybody is down there having a drink or anything.

Scottiehaswheels
12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Thinking about heading to Circle Center mall tomorrow, and then maybe ambling on over to see if I can see anything.

skobabe8
12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
St. Elmo's must be a hot spot this week.

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Talked to the broadcaster of the team that I work for and he said that things have been hot so far all week. He is outa there tomorrow night.

Lundind1
12-09-2009, 01:06 AM

When I lived down there and worked in racing, that was my favorite place to eat in the whole city...period.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Just saw on Comcast Sports Chicago tonight (Thursday) a soundbite from Kenny. He was asked if the winter meetings were "successful" from his standpoint.

His answer was very interesting. He said they were in the sense that groundwork had been laid for some possible moves "this week..." (direct quote).

Stay tuned.

Lip

DumpJerry
12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Just saw on Comcast Sports Chicago tonight (Thursday) a soundbite from Kenny. He was asked if the winter meetings were "successful" from his standpoint.

His answer was very interesting. He said they were in the sense that groundwork had been laid for some possible moves "this week..." (direct quote).

Stay tuned.

Lip
KW said the same thing after the two previous Winter Meetings.

SephClone89
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Stay tuned.

Lip

Open to interpretation, my friend. When I heard it there was no doubt in my mind that what he meant was "the groundwork has been laid this week for some possible moves (in the future)"

Madscout
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Great place.

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Stay tuned.

Lip

Lip- That obviously was a good move to put this up here. There might be a leadoff man, a DH, and another pitcher by the end of next week. You never know.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Lund:

Scratch the pitcher off your list and with Kenny saying specifically that he now will turn his attention to the offense...you never know when something may get done.

Lip

Lundind1
12-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Lund:

Scratch the pitcher off your list and with Kenny saying specifically that he now will turn his attention to the offense...you never know when something may get done.

Lip

I have to believe that Matsui is next. Call me crazy, but that might be next domino to fall, either that or the backup catcher position.

Taliesinrk
12-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Marriott downtown. I'm locked in law school library till the 11th but I might try to eat dinner at place inside the hotel tomorrow just to see if anybody is down there having a drink or anything.

Weird... I'm also currently locked in same aforementioned law library. The question I have is if you're the guy that keeps trying to make phone calls on the second floor. If so, you wouldn't be very cool.