PDA

View Full Version : Ran into Lenny last night...

Kilroy
06-11-2002, 09:01 AM
No, I didn't kick the **** out of him.

We were fortunate enuf to be invited to a suite last night. At the end of the night, we took the suite elevator down which gets you to the main entrance to the park on 35th. The elevators are on the south side of the doors, and the entrance to the Sox offices is on the north side. People were exiting from both sides, and you kind of meet in the middle and then go out.

So my buddy and I are just walking out, not even looking around really, and I look up and we're 3 feet from Kenny Williams. I'm looking at him, he's looking at me. He knows that I recognize him. It didn't seem that too many others did. He doesn't look happy. In fact, he had what I could only describe as a "pained look" on his face. He didn't speak, he just gave the "nod hello".

We turn to go out the doors, and he strides on ahead. Then it hits me that I should say something. A quick "should I?" to my buddy, who of course says "yeah, do it" and I start to step quicker to catch back up to him. I was just about to ask him why his team won't take pitches when they're down 2 in the 9th when for some reason, I remembered the look that was on his face a couple seconds before and I just let it go.

So my buddy and I start walking to the car and he says "what happened?" I just told him that I didn't say anything. He shakes his head. "P*ssy". Yeah, I know.

I had 50 questions that would have liked to ask, but at that moment, he just looked like a guy that wanted to go home and not think about work and I know what that's like. Suffered thru the last 2 years that way every day. Thankfully, my situation has improved. I employed a rule that once I cross the threshold of the office on my way home, I don't think about work until I get back the next day. Since we were outside, I figured Kenny wasn't working. So I let it go.

I know I'll get hazed for not ripping him when I had the chance, but I thought I'd share it anyway...

Procol Harum
06-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I know I'll get hazed for not ripping him when I had the chance, but I thought I'd share it anyway...

You did the right thing, Kilroy. Much as we as Sox fans get exercised about the team, it's important to remember in personal interaction that they are actual human beings who should be treated with decency. Your analogy about knowing what a bad day at work is like was right on.

Keep the ripping to forums like this.

:KW
"Thanks, Kilroy--I'd just gone 34 miles on my exercise bike and just wanted to go home and sleep."

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2002, 10:16 AM
I agree with your friend *****. I think you just faded in the face of greatness.

duke of dorwood
06-11-2002, 10:29 AM
I think more players and pro athletes would be more accessable if all fans thought a bit like you did there. Congrats to you.

MarqSox
06-11-2002, 11:43 AM
:gulp: Have one on me. I like to think that in addition to being smart and passionate, Sox Fans are also classy. For all the bad moves KW makes, he's still human (and it's not like he MEANS to screw up), so letting him alone was the classy thing to do.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2002, 11:47 AM
You did the right thing, K. The most I would have said to him was, "Go get 'em tomorrow, Kenny!"

As Jerry_Manuel will attest, I yelled at Kenny when he strolled passed the WSI booth at SoxFest. All I said was, "Hey Kenny, are you totally biased?" He turned, laughed, and waved back, hardly breaking stride. If he had stopped by to chat, I probably would have offered him a shirt. His loss. :smile:

I also saw Kenny in his SUV leaving Comiskey after a night game earlier this year. The most I did was wave my hands and yell, "Way to go!" (The Sox had won the game). I'm not sure he even saw me. His wife was in the front seat--or at least somebody his wife would want to know about. :smile: The two of them seemed in a big hurry to get out of Dodge.

I'll leave my raving about the team and its personnel right here.

Jerry_Manuel
06-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
As Jerry_Manuel will attest, I yelled at Kenny when he strolled passed the WSI booth at SoxFest. All I said was, "Hey Kenny, are you totally biased?" He turned, laughed, and waved back, hardly breaking stride. If he had stopped by to chat, I probably would have offered him a shirt. His loss. :smile:

I also saw Kenny in his SUV leaving Comiskey after a night game earlier this year. His wife was in the front seat--or at least somebody his wife would want to know about. :smile: The two of them seemed in a big hurry to get out of Dodge.

I'm sure you would have offered to arm-wrestle him over Jose or Royce at SS. :D:

Hopefully, Mrs. KW doesn't read these boards. :smile:

LongDistanceFan
06-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'm sure you would have offered to arm-wrestle him over Jose or Royce at SS. :D:

Hopefully, Mrs. KW doesn't read these boards. :smile: i don't know........ i think you may have did the right thing, but i sure would've like to say something about his bad trades............

but who knows....... maybe you did the right thing

pudge
06-11-2002, 05:57 PM
In those kind of situations I sometimes try to say something just to gauge what kind of person they are - ie, "Hey Kenny, get these guys back on track for us, huh?" And then see what his reaction is... a) gives you a mean scowl, b) laughs and says, "Yeah, right!" c) sighs and says, "I'll do my best."

a = jacka$$
b = clown
c = good guy

Of course there's always d) dumba$$, which is when he ignores you completely.

But all in all, I'm for leaving celebrities at peace.

LongDistanceFan
06-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by pudge
In those kind of situations I sometimes try to say something just to gauge what kind of person they are - ie, "Hey Kenny, get these guys back on track for us, huh?" And then see what his reaction is... a) gives you a mean scowl, b) laughs and says, "Yeah, right!" c) sighs and says, "I'll do my best."

a = jacka$$
b = clown
c = good guy

Of course there's always d) dumba$$, which is when he ignores you completely.

But all in all, I'm for leaving celebrities at peace. nice scale........ funny

RedPinStripes
06-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
No, I didn't kick the **** out of him.

We were fortunate enuf to be invited to a suite last night. At the end of the night, we took the suite elevator down which gets you to the main entrance to the park on 35th. The elevators are on the south side of the doors, and the entrance to the Sox offices is on the north side. People were exiting from both sides, and you kind of meet in the middle and then go out.

So my buddy and I are just walking out, not even looking around really, and I look up and we're 3 feet from Kenny Williams. I'm looking at him, he's looking at me. He knows that I recognize him. It didn't seem that too many others did. He doesn't look happy. In fact, he had what I could only describe as a "pained look" on his face. He didn't speak, he just gave the "nod hello".

We turn to go out the doors, and he strides on ahead. Then it hits me that I should say something. A quick "should I?" to my buddy, who of course says "yeah, do it" and I start to step quicker to catch back up to him. I was just about to ask him why his team won't take pitches when they're down 2 in the 9th when for some reason, I remembered the look that was on his face a couple seconds before and I just let it go.

So my buddy and I start walking to the car and he says "what happened?" I just told him that I didn't say anything. He shakes his head. "P*ssy". Yeah, I know.

I had 50 questions that would have liked to ask, but at that moment, he just looked like a guy that wanted to go home and not think about work and I know what that's like. Suffered thru the last 2 years that way every day. Thankfully, my situation has improved. I employed a rule that once I cross the threshold of the office on my way home, I don't think about work until I get back the next day. Since we were outside, I figured Kenny wasn't working. So I let it go.

He ran from me and Baggio last year at Wrigley. No idea why?