PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans out and about...

MARTINMVP
11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I've noticed it all throughout the off-season so far. For example, last Sat. night, my friends and I were in the city and the lights parade was going on. Amongst the crowd through the night, I'd say I saw around 20 or so people with some sort of White Sox gear on (hat or jacket), compared to maybe 4 or 5 Cubs... one of which was a Cubs hat at the Trib building, which may not count.

Was at a sports bar in New Lenox a few weeks back and noticed that they had decorations (lights and stuff) for all the Chicago teams except the Cubs. I was in Triple Threat Sports in Mokena a few weeks back and noticed that the amount of Sox stuff was almost double that of Cubs stuff. I asked the guy who comes in more, and he said Sox fans, no comparison.

I do see people and such with Cubs stuff and such, but it is cool to see Sox pride as well. Today at Jewel, I saw a guy wearing a badass Sox winter jacket, and tonight at Aurileos, a I saw another older guy wearing a 2005 WS Champions Sox jacket.

About a month ago, I was heading to lunch at "Five Guys" in Orland, when some random dude saw I was wearing a White Sox windbreaker and asked if there are more Sox fans or Cubs fans in the area - he said I was the 5th person in 10 minutes just outside the building who was wearing Sox stuff.

I never really put much stock into the North Side/South Side thing, thinking it was more of a thing of the past - back in like the 1900's and such - but I never truly realized just how much the South side truly is mostly White Sox, or at the very least, seems to be. While it's lame that the Cell is not nearly filled up with Sox fans enough (i.e. the Boston series), it's cool to see that Sox pride is out and about.

Sam Spade
11-29-2009, 02:26 AM
I think:

Cubs fans are embarrassed after this season. Maybe they should be. As soon as the team starts winning again the fans of the cubs will sport their gear again.
A lot of cub fandom is fair weather. This is a seperate issue from actual fans being disgusted with their team.
Your personal experience is just that and may or may not actually reflect a trend.

DaveFeelsRight
11-29-2009, 06:22 AM
I've noticed this as well. Saw alot of Sox gear on black friday.

DumpJerry
11-29-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm never surprised to people wearing Sox stuff in the Chicago area. After all, the Sox are a Chicago team.

The other night I was at a Lake Erie Monsters game (minor league hockey team in Cleveland). I noticed a guy in the next section over wearing a Sox hat-not as common sight in Cleveland. When he returned to his seat, I noticed he also had a Georgia Baseball hoodie. Between periods, I went over to him to ask him if he was a Gordon Beckham fan. He told me that he was going to be playing for the Bulldogs next year and, yes, he was a Gordo fan. He said he met Beckham and told me he's a really nice. I told him that we're very excited aboiut Beckham and that Georgia has an excellent program. I asked him what he played and he told me he's a Pitcher. I said we'll be talking about in about fours years.

LongLiveFisk
11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Well I did my part yesterday walking around the Woodfield shopping area in Schaumburg. My retro SOX t-shirt with Fisk 72 on the back. :cool:

slavko
11-29-2009, 10:34 AM
I think:

Cubs fans are embarrassed after this season. Maybe they should be. As soon as the team starts winning again the fans of the cubs will sport their gear again.
A lot of cub fandom is fair weather. This is a seperate issue from actual fans being disgusted with their team.
Your personal experience is just that and may or may not actually reflect a trend.

Embarrassed, ashamed, disappointed. Not seeing any cub gear even up north here. Seeing Sox gear about the same as always.

LongLiveFisk
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Embarrassed, ashamed, disappointed. Not seeing any cub gear even up north here. Seeing Sox gear about the same as always.

I saw only one Cubs cap yesterday. I am not seeing much Cubs gear out in public either.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I saw plenty of Cubs gear yesterday when I tended bar for a party. As always, the Sox fans talked about winning, the Cubs fans talked about attendance trophies.

white sox bill
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
My GF's kid plays soccer at Loras College in Dubuque IA (yes this is in Iowa) and the last few games I have noticed more Sox hats and apparel then cubs. By a 2-1 ratio at minimum.

So apparently the Sox Army is alive and well in the Dubuque area.

voodoochile
11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Being a flubs fan is seasonal. The minute it starts to cool off all the frat boys and trixies go clubbing.

Being a Sox fan is an obsession...

getonbckthr
11-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Being a flubs fan is seasonal. The minute it starts to cool off all the frat boys and trixies go clubbing.

I go clubbing....:D:
-------------------
AnywhoFor Cub fans right now there really isn't anything to be proud of when it comes to the Cubs. They have a manager is just there but not doing much, thier team isn't very likeable at all, thier payroll is at a point where they are stuck with lots of bad contracts with no flexability to improve.

LoveYourSuit
11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Look at the team colors.

The Sox are still a cool piece of apparel to wear as it was in the 90s because of the color and logo. Kind of like the Yankees and Raiders. Reason why many rappers wear the Sox gear, even if they have no clue what the team is all about.

Unfortunately this doesn't translate into bigger ticket sales.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Look at the team colors.

The Sox are still a cool piece of apparel to wear as it was in the 90s because of the color and logo. Kind of like the Yankees and Raiders. Reason why many rappers wear the Sox gear, even if they have no clue what the team is all about.

Unfortunately this doesn't translate into bigger ticket sales.I've noticed that a lot. Even though I don't understand why I should be, it makes me proud... even though it's a rapper. Now I know they don't even care. :(:

SoxandtheCityTee
11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
As I've posted before, I see more and more Sox stuff on the streets downtown all the time. I was at the fireworks at the Michigan Avenue bridge last Saturday, the lighting of the tree at the Daley Center last Wednesday, Christkindel Market (smoked pork loin sandwich with kraut for me, please :drool:) -- lots of visible Sox fans.

I don't think that many casual fans, of whatever team, invest in expensive jackets, fleeces, etc., so the Sox fans who do stand out in colder weather. I have never even seen a Cubs jacket like my Sox WS 05 manager's jacket or the many other Sox jackets out there. Perhaps because the Flubs need to win something beyond the Division first? :scratch:

I was in Champaign a few weekends ago (non-game weekend), and saw more Sox than Cubs hats on the students, by a wide margin.

soxinem1
11-29-2009, 12:23 PM

I wear something White Sox everyday, be it the medallions on my neck chain (which has only come off for additions or cleaning since the 80's), a tee-shirt (even under a dress shirt or sweater!!), white socks (usually wear them to start winning streaks during the work week, when necessary), hats, sweat shirts, etc.

So yes, it is an obsession!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

As far as the other team is concerned, I'm surprised on how many of my cub fan friends and acquaintances wear nothing cub-related because they believe the logo, uniforms, and colors are ugly.

white sox bill
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I wear something White Sox everyday, be it the medallions on my neck chain (which has only come off for additions or cleaning since the 80's), a tee-shirt (even under a dress shirt or sweater!!), white socks (usually wear them to start winning streaks during the work week, when necessary), hats, sweat shirts, etc.

So yes, it is an obsession!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

As far as the other team is concerned, I'm surprised on how many of my cub fan friends and acquaintances wear nothing cub-related because they believe the logo, uniforms, and colors are ugly.

And what a great obsession it is!! My good friend, a cub fan, is always saying his teams colors are "Patriotic" meaning like the flags colors. That part may be true but there is nothing more uglier than those red billed cubs caps.

LongLiveFisk
11-29-2009, 01:35 PM
And what a great obsession it is!! My good friend, a cub fan, is always saying his teams colors are "Patriotic" meaning like the flags colors. That part may be true but there is nothing more uglier than those red billed cubs caps.

I hate when they use the patriotism thing, because it's total BS. If they rooted for teams based on that, they would be Patriots fans, not Bears fans. :rolleyes:

oeo
11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I think:

Both of these are true, I guess. I have neighbors that 'will not cheer for the Cubs until Bradley is gone.' Others that are 'so ticked off at their 2008 postseason that they can't even watch.' It's a load of bull****. They only watch when the Cubs are playing well, but since it's still 'cool' to go to Wrigley, they'll still fill up the place everyday.

It's all childish looking. There are certain uniforms which any guy can look good in, and then there's the Cubs uniform where everyone looks like a goofball.

LongLiveFisk
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
It's all childish looking. There are certain uniforms which any guy can look good in, and then there's the Cubs uniform where everyone looks like a goofball.

Yes. The Cubs logo looks great on a dartboard. :D:

MARTINMVP
11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I think the Cubs colors can be decent looking, such as the darker blue uniforms from the 1980's. For whatever reason, some of their apparel such as jackets and hats are an ugly sky blue these days, and in combination with the red, looks more like it belongs on a Woody Wood Pecker hot air balloon.

The Big Red C logo that spells out Cubs is pathetic looking.

Speaking of which, my dad was collecting old jackets to donate earlier this morning, and I gave him my old blue Cubs windbreaker. :D:

jamokes
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
In the winter, the only ones wearing their cub **** are old guys with very cheap toupees.

DumpJerry
11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I saw a lot of Cubs clothing in Cleveland this weekend. I guess misery loves company.

In the Chicago are Cub, Sox, Hawks, Bears, and Bulls logos on clothing does not catch my attention since they are all Chicago teams.

OldRomanPizza
11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
The Cubs fans have quickly lost all the swagger they had in 2008 and when you lose that swagger so quickly, it makes you real quiet.

I was out in Wrigleyville on Wednesday night and my buddy was wearing a Sox jacket and anytime someone mentioned it, it was positive.

And I agree on all accounts....Sox fans are way more apt to gear it up than Cubs fans.

Also, I've heard from people who live and have been elsewhere than folks from the Midwest and East Coast wear team way way more than other parts of the country.

bridgeportcopper
11-30-2009, 06:06 PM
My GF's kid plays soccer at Loras College in Dubuque IA (yes this is in Iowa) and the last few games I have noticed more Sox hats and apparel then cubs. By a 2-1 ratio at minimum.

So apparently the Sox Army is alive and well in the Dubuque area.

Loras was always a Sox stronghold. Do a lot of Duhawkin!!!!

Loras '95

SOXPHILE
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
In the winter, the only ones wearing their cub **** are old guys with very cheap toupees.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/santo.jpg

"Hey, what's it to you, pal ? Just remember, we're gonna go all the way in 2009 !...uhhh, what ? err....NEXT YEAR ! 2010, it's gonna happen !"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-04/37761073.jpg
"But I always wear my White Sox gear when I'm out and about !"

spawn
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Amen. I'm wearing a Sox hoodie over my work clothes, and a Sox wool hat as well. it's funny...I wear my Sox gear all year long, whereas with my Cowboys gear, I only wear it during football season.

cws05champ
12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Amen. I'm wearing a Sox hoodie over my work clothes, and a Sox wool hat as well. it's funny...I wear my Sox gear all year long, whereas with my Cowboys gear, I only wear it during football season.
Sox fan and a Cowboys fan...You are my new favorite poster my friend!!

NLaloosh
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
My wife has White Sox boxers. But, she doesn't normally go out in them.

white sox bill
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Yes the Wyoming Cowboys are one of my favs!!! Great choice!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3d/UW_BHR_web.png/100px-UW_BHR_web.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UW_BHR_web.png)

Zisk77
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I was watching the IU/maryland game last night and a dude was wearing IU gear and a cubs hat. I thought that was fitting...Loosiers and loser gear altogether.:D:

BTW I have 2 nice polo type sox shirts I bought at the cell that I wear while teaching all the time. All these Cardinal fans look at me kind of funny. Of course maybe thats because of the way i look?:redface: ya know know that extra eye and nipple thing.

Hitmen77
12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I have noticed a lot of Sox gear out and about this offseason. The same goes for cars with Sox stickers or license plate frames. I haven't paid close enough attention to decide if it's more than the Cubs gear I have seen, but the Sox are definitely being represented out there.

IMO, things really changed after the Sox won the World Series. Before then, people with Cubs gear greatly outnumbered Sox gear. Perhaps ever since then it hasn't been nearly quite as "cool" to wear Cubs stuff and perhaps other feel that wearing Sox stuff isn't such an obsure thing. It also might help that you can actually find a better selection of Sox merchandise in stores than was the case in the past.

OldRoman's comment about wearing Sox stuff in Lakeview says a lot. It used to be that people would give you **** for wearing Sox stuff in that area, or at least wonder why you're wearing Sox stuff in Cubbieland. But now even on the North Side you see enough Sox gear that people don't question it much any more.

MARTINMVP
12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I wore my Sox hoodie to the office today (in combination with my free Blackhawks hat from Tuesday night's game at the U.C.). Casual Friday doesn't technically exist here, but I'm making my own rules today. :cool:

Voodoochilie is accurate... Sox fandom does become an obsession. I haven't stopped thinking about "catchers and pitchers reporting..." since the 2009 season ended... okay, maybe since the team's East Coast trip back in September.

Hitmen77
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Speaking of Sox stuff "out and about", has anyone else seen the White Sox-themed Christmas tree at Brookfield Zoo's "holiday magic" decorations? :cool: