PDA

View Full Version : Bill Madden's Baseball Turkey Awards for 2009

Fenway
11-28-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/11/28/2009-11-28_top_ten_baseball_turkeys.html

A lot to choose from as usual.

He also mentions something in his David Samson entry that Red Sox fans can only hope is true.

Marlins couldn't be THAT stupid

Boondock Saint
11-28-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/11/28/2009-11-28_top_ten_baseball_turkeys.html

He also mentions something in his David Samson entry that Red Sox fans can only hope is true.

The Marlins have as many WS rings in the last 15 years as the Red Sox, while maintaining the lowest payroll in baseball. How stupid can that be?

RKMeibalane
11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I just thought it was funny that Milton Bradley had a disagreement with Von Joshua. It brings back memories of ten years ago.

dickallen15
11-29-2009, 09:29 AM
The Marlins have as many WS rings in the last 15 years as the Red Sox, while maintaining the lowest payroll in baseball. How stupid can that be?
I think he's talking about re-acquiring Ramirez. I never was bothered by the Red Sox, but now its really getting ridiculous. They are going to get Halladay, they are going to get Mauer, they are going to get Hanley Ramirez. Great. They should have a statue of Bud Selig at Fenway Park, and it should be mandatory for Red Sox fans to bow to it every time they attend a game. Without Bud and his wildcard, the Red Sox would have made the playoffs once since 1995, which is the same amount as Tampa. Less than the Cubs and Sox and Twins. Seriously, I have never seen a franchise and its fanbase get so full of itself so quickly.

Craig Grebeck
11-29-2009, 09:30 AM

Boston wants Hanley, but there are no other reports out there. Plus the NY Daily News is, well, dubious at best.

cws05champ
11-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I think he's talking about re-acquiring Ramirez. I never was bothered by the Red Sox, but now its really getting ridiculous. They are going to get Halladay, they are going to get Mauer, they are going to get Hanley Ramirez. Great. They should have a statue of Bud Selig at Fenway Park, and it should be mandatory for Red Sox fans to bow to it every time they attend a game. Without Bud and his wildcard, the Red Sox would have made the playoffs once since 1995, which is the same amount as Tampa. Less than the Cubs and Sox and Twins. Seriously, I have never seen a franchise and its fanbase get so full of itself so quickly.

I don't think ANY team has the farm system deep enough to get Halladay, Hanley and Mauer. Relax! I don't think Mauer or Ramirez are going anywhere.

Brian26
11-29-2009, 11:37 AM

They actually bought the title in '97 with a spending spree before the season just as disgusting as anything the Yankees have ever done and one that would make the Red Sox blush.

The '03 title was the result of a great farm system and a little bit of luck, so I'll give them credit for that great run.

Craig Grebeck
11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
They actually bought the title in '97 with a spending spree before the season just as disgusting as anything the Yankees have ever done and one that would make the Red Sox blush.

The '03 title was the result of a great farm system and a little bit of luck, so I'll give them credit for that great run.
Why is that disgusting? If you've got the money spend it.

dickallen15
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think ANY team has the farm system deep enough to get Halladay, Hanley and Mauer. Relax! I don't think Mauer or Ramirez are going anywhere.

They probably won't get any of them, but Boston radio always makes it seem like its just a formality. Just like Chicago media makes it seem like everyone who ever played MLB wants to be a Cub. I went to Boston in 2003, the fans were not obnoxious. They were nice, very knowledable, and even gave people crap if they showed up late. Just go to USCF when they play the Red Sox now. Their fans are as obnoxious as Cubs fans, if not worse in some ways.

Brian26
11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Why is that disgusting? If you've got the money spend it.

The Florida situation became a debacle because it was clear that they DIDN'T have the money, hence they sold off half the team before Opening Day 1998. And then they gave away Sheffield and Bonilla one month into the season.

dickallen15
11-29-2009, 03:30 PM
The Florida situation became a debacle because it was clear that they DIDN'T have the money, hence they sold off half the team before Opening Day 1998. And then they gave away Sheffield and Bonilla one month into the season.

But they won. If the White Sox did they, I'm pretty sure we would all take it. They did purge the team, but didn't several of the prospects they received help them win in 2003?

MisterB
11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
But they won. If the White Sox did they, I'm pretty sure we would all take it. They did purge the team, but didn't several of the prospects they received help them win in 2003?

They did get A.J. Burnett in the Al Leiter trade, but he made only 4 starts for the Marlins in '03. Other than that, nobody else acquired immediately post-WS amounted to much of anything.

dickallen15
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
They did get A.J. Burnett in the Al Leiter trade, but he made only 4 starts for the Marlins in '03. Other than that, nobody else acquired immediately post-WS amounted to much of anything.
Derek Lee. But I see your point. Even if they got rid of the entire roster, they won it all 6 years later. I'm sure we would all take another win by 2011.

TommyJohn
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
But they won. If the White Sox did they, I'm pretty sure we would all take it. They did purge the team, but didn't several of the prospects they received help them win in 2003?Are you kidding? Let's see, the Marlins broke up the team and went 54-108. Meanwhile, in 2006 the Sox came back with generally the same team; they went 90-72 and we had people here ranting about how "embarrassed" they were.

downstairs
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Are you kidding? Let's see, the Marlins broke up the team and went 54-108. Meanwhile, in 2006 the Sox came back with generally the same team; they went 90-72 and we had people here ranting about how "embarrassed" they were.

At the end of the day, I have no problem with it. I don't care what you do a year after winning the World Series if 6 years later they win another World Series.

I understand none of the prospects they got from the 1998 dump were stars in 2003... but who knows what would have happened if they kept the 1997 team together longer. Every player move leads to another which leads to another... its all related somehow because you can only have so many players at one time.

The Pirates, for example, bother me a hundred times more than what the Marlins so.