PDA

View Full Version : Selig stepping down in 2012

thomas35forever
11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4695595
Great. Maybe baseball can get a commissioner who knows what he's doing.

TommyJohn
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
MLB has made a ton of money with him as commish-that's all they care about.

hi im skot
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
It's too bad the world is going to end in 2012.

TDog
11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't think Bud Selig has been a bad commissioner. I don't like everything he has done, but if I were commissioner and looking back on my tenure, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked everything I had done, just as I'm sure Selig would say would do some things differently. I even like what Selig did to the All-Star Game, especially considering the World Series home-field advantage so rarely has any meaning. There are probably many people who thought it was a dumb idea who have changed their minds.

soxinem1
11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think Bud Selig has been a bad commissioner. I don't like everything he has done, but if I were commissioner and looking back on my tenure, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked everything I had done, just as I'm sure Selig would say would do some things differently. I even like what Selig did to the All-Star Game, especially considering the World Series home-field advantage so rarely has any meaning. There are probably many people who thought it was a dumb idea who have changed their minds.

I agree with you. While Bud is a bit of a goof (the MTL/WAS relocation/MLB purchase and MTL/BOS/FLA ownership fiascos really stand out) and has given preferential treatment to some team owners, including our own, he has put baseball in a stronger financial position than what he found.

Teams have stronger revenue streams, lines of credit, new ballparks, higher attendance, larger TV audiences across the world, and an All-Star game that means something. His successful realignment and implementation of inter-league play and wild card formats, and expansion, has made MLB a much healthier sport than when he took the job.

He also helped teams and players realize the dangers of another work stoppage, as the collective bargaining negotiations have gone smoother and longer than in any period since the start of free agency.

Plus, I'll always love his lip-pressed look when Bonds tied the HR record. That was priceless!!

Give credit where credit is due. He was better and more effective than any commish in my lifetime, going all the way back to Bafoon Bowie Kuhn.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
It's about time "Proud to be your Bud" was sent out to pasture. I never again want to see his "woe is me" face anytime the owners have to you know, actually do something for the fans, the players union or for the overall good of the game.

This moron was concerned about his legacy and what the other owners thought of him...certainly not the game.

From the 1994 labor impasse, to collusion in the 1980's (of which he was one of the architects) to the entire steroid mess, to his handling of the Expos situation, to Jeffrey Loria, to the All Star Game tie where he looked totally impotent. THAT's his legacy in my book.

Lip

Daver
11-28-2009, 04:38 PM
It's about time "Proud to be your Bud" was sent out to pasture. I never again want to see his "woe is me" face anytime the owners have to you know, actually do something for the fans, the players union or for the overall good of the game.

This moron was concerned about his legacy and what the other owners thought of him...certainly not the game.

From the 1994 labor impasse, to collusion in the 1980's (of which he was one of the architects) to the entire steroid mess, to his handling of the Expos situation, to Jeffrey Loria, to the All Star Game tie where he looked totally impotent. THAT's his legacy in my book.

Lip

If a moron can make himself the most powerful and influential commissioner the game has ever seen, then it will be interesting to see what an intelligent person will do with the job.

SOXSINCE'70
11-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Lip

Sad,but true.:(: At least in my opinion.

P.S., Hey Lip,how about Comissioner Selig admitting MLB goofed by letting the Yankmees use only a 3 man pitching staff in the 2009 playoffs instead of the normal 4 man rotation?? Sometimes I think the late character actor Neil Hamilton, who played Comssioner Gordon on the 1969's tv show "Batman",had more authority than Selig. And Comissioner Gordon isn't even a real person!

russ99
11-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Unless we get an independent commissioner, things won't change.

Currently the commissioner's office is a tool of ownership.

Frater Perdurabo
11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
If a moron can make himself the most powerful and influential commissioner the game has ever seen, then it will be interesting to see what an intelligent person will do with the job.

Selig only became powerful and influential because he had the "credibility" among other owners for being "one of them," and therefore he never held any of them accountable for anything.

MLB's antitrust exemption needs to be revoked, and a truly independent commissioner needs to be appointed.

Daver
11-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Selig only became powerful and influential because he had the "credibility" among other owners for being "one of them," and therefore he never held any of them accountable for anything.

This is rather far from the truth, if the owners had their way the Mitchell investigation among other things would never have happened. Selig took absolute and complete control over the league, including how shared revenue was distributed, which gave him the ability to dictate policy to the owners as opposed to the other way around.

MLB's antitrust exemption needs to be revoked, and a truly independent commissioner needs to be appointed.
Look into the outcome of revoking MLB's anti trust exemption and you might want to rethink that, it would destroy the minor league system as we know it and alter the league in many other ways. I believe Doug Pappas wrote an article about it a few years ago.

Trav
11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
This is rather far from the truth, if the owners had their way the Mitchell investigation among other things would never have happened. Selig took absolute and complete control over the league, including how shared revenue was distributed, which gave him the ability to dictate policy to the owners as opposed to the other way around.

]

This is laughable. Selig has always been an owner at heart, and has always had the owner's interests in mind.

tebman
11-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Bud is more than a bit of a goof, but one who knows how to make money. Whatever history has to say about him, the money-making machinery of MLB will always be attributed to his tenure.

Ensuring that the owners make money is how MLB defines the commissioner's job. The reason the owners hired Judge Landis all those years ago was because they were worried about their business drying up after the Black Sox scandal. All that tripe about "the best interests of the game" has more to do with MLB's balance sheet than about sportsmanship, and all the commissioners since Landis have had their success measured by how well the owners did during their terms.

I don't like Selig because I'm a cranky White Sox fan who remembers Selig trying to move the Sox to Seattle in 1975. Ol' Bud was on the owners' committee dealing with Bill Veeck's purchase of the Sox and led the charge trying to stop the sale. At the time MLB was being sued by Seattle for taking the Pilots out of Seattle after the 1969 season; moving the nearly-bankrupt White Sox there would solve MLB's problem. The reason MLB was in that fix in the first place was because Selig arranged to move the Pilots to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. When Veeck showed up with investors to buy the Sox, Selig's scheme was gummed up and he tried mightily to prevent the sale from going through.

Enjoy your retirement, Bud. Maybe you'll be able to break somebody else's furniture somewhere else.

Fenway
11-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Look into the outcome of revoking MLB's anti trust exemption and you might want to rethink that, it would destroy the minor league system as we know it and alter the league in many other ways. I believe Doug Pappas wrote an article about it a few years ago.

Pappas was for junking the anti-trust

http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/bb98-6.htm

Steelrod
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
This is laughable. Selig has always been an owner at heart, and has always had the owner's interests in mind.
Like you would expect the union to support the owners. The commissioner should be as unbiased as the head of the player's union!

doublem23
11-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Unprecedented attendance, unprecedented talent, unprecedented parity, unprecedented profitability... Yeah... Selig sure was terrible.

WhiteSox5187
11-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Unprecedented attendance, unprecedented talent, unprecedented parity, unprecedented profitability... Yeah... Selig sure was terrible.

He also saw the first canceled World Series in history, a tied All Star Game, the inability of small market teams to hold onto their talent thanks to the likes of the Yankees, a scandal that has had a profound impact on the history books.

Selig has been very very good for the owners. I'm not so sure he has been so good for the game.

TDog
11-29-2009, 01:42 AM
He also saw the first canceled World Series in history, a tied All Star Game, the inability of small market teams to hold onto their talent thanks to the likes of the Yankees, a scandal that has had a profound impact on the history books.

Selig has been very very good for the owners. I'm not so sure he has been so good for the game.

Can you name the baseball commissioner who presided over the first All-Star Game tie? Probably not. The 1-1 tie at Fenway Park didn't mar Ford Frick's legacy. Neither did a Yankees dynasty that nearly coincided with Frick's years of service. Meanwhile, the A's were acting as a Yankees farm team to stay in business. Small market teams didn't have to pay their talent (although there was no draft to bind talent to sign with poor teams). Few teams paid big salaries because they didn't have to. Jim Fregosi was an All-Star five times before he made $20,000 a year, and by then Bowie Kuhn was the commissioner.

A commissioner's job in any professional team sport is to be good for the owners. I don't know why people expect otherwise from the baseball commissioner.

Craig Grebeck
11-29-2009, 03:12 AM
He also saw the first canceled World Series in history
And came back from that.

a tied All Star GameI still can't believe people care about this.

the inability of small market teams to hold onto their talent thanks to the likes of the YankeesA salary cap would be awful.

a scandal that has had a profound impact on the history books.Eh, greenies and steroids were prevalent before Selig. There are different eras, and the one from (roughly -- not looking at the data here) 1990-2004 will be remembered as an offensively inflated time.

Selig has been very very good for the owners. I'm not so sure he has been so good for the game.I'd say he's been average. He grew the game and came back from the doldrums of the mid-1990s.

RKMeibalane
11-29-2009, 08:02 AM

That's just it. An intelligent person wouldn't want the job in the first place.

soxinem1
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Bud is more than a bit of a goof, but one who knows how to make money. Whatever history has to say about him, the money-making machinery of MLB will always be attributed to his tenure.

Ensuring that the owners make money is how MLB defines the commissioner's job. The reason the owners hired Judge Landis all those years ago was because they were worried about their business drying up after the Black Sox scandal. All that tripe about "the best interests of the game" has more to do with MLB's balance sheet than about sportsmanship, and all the commissioners since Landis have had their success measured by how well the owners did during their terms.

I don't like Selig because I'm a cranky White Sox fan who remembers Selig trying to move the Sox to Seattle in 1975. Ol' Bud was on the owners' committee dealing with Bill Veeck's purchase of the Sox and led the charge trying to stop the sale. At the time MLB was being sued by Seattle for taking the Pilots out of Seattle after the 1969 season; moving the nearly-bankrupt White Sox there would solve MLB's problem. The reason MLB was in that fix in the first place was because Selig arranged to move the Pilots to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. When Veeck showed up with investors to buy the Sox, Selig's scheme was gummed up and he tried mightily to prevent the sale from going through.

Enjoy your retirement, Bud. Maybe you'll be able to break somebody else's furniture somewhere else.

I know Bud almost bought the White Sox in the late 60's. It was him who set up those 'road' games in MIL where the Sox drew about a third of their season attendance in five games, and it gave him the thought of bringing MLB back to the area.

I don't think he was trying to kill off the White Sox in so much as he wanted to bring major-league baseball back to MIL.

He bought the Seattle Pilots off the auction block and moved them.

And I believe MLB promised SEA a franchise for the 1977 season to drop the lawsuit, so all ended well. The city did nothing to embrace the Pilots anyway.

It already looked bad to have an expansion team go broke and leave in its first year of existence, but it would have been worse if the Pilot franchise had folded after one season.

Give him some credit.

And as Daver pointed out, Bud is a strong and powerful commissioner. His predecessors were not even close.

Bobby Thigpen
11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Lip,how about Comissioner Selig admitting MLB goofed by letting the Yankmees use only a 3 man pitching staff in the 2009 playoffs instead of the normal 4 man rotation??
The Commissioner's office doesn't have anything to do with this does it? Teams can use whatever pitching rotation they dang well please.

Waysouthsider
11-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I was listening to MLB on XM last night and they were discussing this and then turned it into an opportunity to "speculate" about the chairman as the next commissioner.

I'm not sure who was on, I didn't recognize the voice but he turned it in to an opportunity to bash Jerry and to bash the Sox...spent lots of time talking about how much the Sox fans hate Reinsdorf and how he would be terrible for baseball...mostly the point was that Jerry's emphasis was on being a "good businessman" and this would ruin the commissioner's office...!

I wasn't aware that Jerry was at all interested in being commissioner?

doublem23
11-29-2009, 01:40 PM
The Commissioner's office doesn't have anything to do with this does it? Teams can use whatever pitching rotation they dang well please.

Yeah, but the ridiculous amount of off days during the play-offs allowed the Yankees to use a 3-man rotation.

Anyways, Selig's not great, but he's not bad, either. If you want to see a bad commissioner, look no further than Gary Bettman, who has completely run the NHL in the ground. My favorite theory on that is Bill Simmons', that David Stern is keeping Bettman in charge of the NHL to reduce the competition the NBA gets from the NHL.

itsnotrequired
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM

:?:

the commissioner is selected by the owners and if he isn't representing their interests, they get rid of him. when has the commissioner's office been anything other than a tool of ownership?

tebman
11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I know Bud almost bought the White Sox in the late 60's. It was him who set up those 'road' games in MIL where the Sox drew about a third of their season attendance in five games, and it gave him the thought of bringing MLB back to the area.

I don't think he was trying to kill off the White Sox in so much as he wanted to bring major-league baseball back to MIL.

He bought the Seattle Pilots off the auction block and moved them.

And I believe MLB promised SEA a franchise for the 1977 season to drop the lawsuit, so all ended well. The city did nothing to embrace the Pilots anyway.

It already looked bad to have an expansion team go broke and leave in its first year of existence, but it would have been worse if the Pilot franchise had folded after one season.

Give him some credit.

And as Daver pointed out, Bud is a strong and powerful commissioner. His predecessors were not even close.

All true. But as a Sox fan I've had to put up with threats to move the team on multiple occasions in my lifetime and Selig was deeply involved in one of those attempts. My irrational grudge is something in which I indulge myself.

MLB is making money. That's what Selig was hired to do, and he's done it. He's also served the owners well as a lightning rod and punching bag when there's been trouble, such as during the steroid hearings.

The game goes on, almost in spite of itself.

beasly213
11-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Yea
A huge reason attendance and "talent" and profits were so high was because he chose to ignore the biggest black eye on the game since the 1919 World Series.

Daver
11-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Yea
A huge reason attendance and "talent" and profits were so high was because he chose to ignore the biggest black eye on the game since the 1919 World Series.

So did Faye Vincent, who was then forced out because he did not favor a work stoppage.

Bud also launched the Mitchell investigation against the wishes of both the owners and the MLBPA, and forced the PA to accept the most stringent penalties for testing positive than any other professional sport.

There is also the fact that attendance hit an all time high after the steroids issue had been addressed, but we won't let silly things like facts get in the way.

waltwilliams
11-29-2009, 05:03 PM
It was him who set up those 'road' games in MIL where the Sox drew about a third of their season attendance in five games, and it gave him the thought of bringing MLB back to the area.

As a lifelong Milwaukeean and Braves fan who was familiar with the attendance records they had set it did not take the road games to give him the idea of bringing a team back to Milwaukee.

the commissioner is selected by the owners and if he isn't representing their interests, they get rid of him. when has the commissioner's office been anything other than a tool of ownership?

If there had been a commissioner from outside baseball like Kuhn, Vincent or Giamatti who stepped on the owner's toes occasionally the PED story might have unfolded differently. But attendance didn't seem to be affected when it came to light anyway.

Fay Vincent on the effects of collusion:

ďThe Union basically doesnít trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think thatís polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think itís the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig".

doublem23
11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Yea

People complain about the steroid issue in baseball until their faces are blue, but then they turn around and show up in record numbers for games, all the while paying the highest ticket prices in history.

:shrug:

DSpivack
11-29-2009, 05:34 PM
People complain about the steroid issue in baseball until their faces are blue, but then they turn around and show up in record numbers for games, all the while paying the highest ticket prices in history.

:shrug:

Fans had plenty of love for McGwire and Sosa in 98.

waltwilliams
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Bud succeeded in getting congress off of MLB's back with the Mitchell Report. The investigation instigated by congress that was about to come otherwise would have turned up more dirt than the Mitchell Report and could have resulted in independent testing that neither the union or Bud wanted.

Daver
11-29-2009, 05:48 PM
It was him who set up those 'road' games in MIL where the Sox drew about a third of their season attendance in five games, and it gave him the thought of bringing MLB back to the area.

As a lifelong Milwaukeean and Braves fan who was familiar with the attendance records they had set it did not take the road games to give him the idea of bringing a team back to Milwaukee.

If there had been a commissioner from outside baseball like Kuhn, Vincent or Giamatti who stepped on the owner's toes occasionally the PED story might have unfolded differently. But attendance didn't seem to be affected when it came to light anyway.

Fay Vincent on the effects of collusion:

“The Union basically doesn’t trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig".

Bart Giamatti is the main reason the owners were found guilty of collusion and forced to pay a mere 280 million dollars in penalties, if baseball were like any other sport those damages would be closer to 900 million.

doublem23
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Fans had plenty of love for McGwire and Sosa in 98.

It was still under the rug back then, but just look at the last few seasons, all of baseball's dirty laundry is out in the air and attendance numbers continue to be very, very strong.

soxinem1
11-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Bart Giamatti is the main reason the owners were found guilty of collusion and forced to pay a mere 280 million dollars in penalties, if baseball were like any other sport those damages would be closer to 900 million.

Wasn't Peter Ueberroth the one who reportedly told the owners to do what they had to do to keep salaries in line and agree not to compete for FA players (hence keeping down their price tags)??

Either way, the Commissioner's Office had a big hand in collusion.

jamokes
11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I say good-bye to Mr. Selig..........the sooner the better. Go back to selling used cars.

waltwilliams
11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
It was Ueberroth who lead collusion as commissioner. Selig was supposedly a leader as an owner and Reinsdorf asked Steinbrenner to rescind his offer to Fisk.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2800:collusions-i-ii--and-iii-a-hard-lesson-learned&catid=26:editorials&Itemid=39

Trav
11-29-2009, 07:39 PM
It was still under the rug back then, but just look at the last few seasons, all of baseball's dirty laundry is out in the air and attendance numbers continue to be very, very strong.
When did Mac have that bottle of andro in his locker, in open view of reporters?

g0g0
11-29-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think he's been a bad commissioner. I actually like a lot that he has done for the game. I just hope the next one is extremely tough on dopers. I want that problem erased.

Railsplitter
11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
It won't be soon enough

chisoxfanatic
11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
If people think Selig is bad, they should look to the NHL for an even more clueless commissioner.

asindc
11-30-2009, 10:37 AM

I think more to the point, the Commissioner's office is currently occupied by an owner masquerading as a commissioner.

Yes, he made a lot of owners a lot of money, but he has been anything but impartial and independent. I like to see MLB operate under a real Commissioner again.

white sox bill
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
The Whipping Boy of MLB days are numbered. Who's in line next?

ewokpelts
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I think more to the point, the Commissioner's office is currently occupied by an owner masquerading as a commissioner.

Yes, he made a lot of owner's a lot of money, but he has been anything but impartial and independent. I like to see MLB operate under a real Commissioner again.Mark Anastascio owns the Brewers.

asindc
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Like you would expect the union to support the owners. The commissioner should be as unbiased as the head of the player's union!

The commissioner is supposed to represent the interests of the game itself, not the owners and not the players.

The union, by its very nature, would be irresponsible to not exclusively represent the interests of the players. They are two different things.

asindc
11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Mark Anastascio owns the Brewers.

I'm aware of that. Selig does act, however, as if he is still an owner.

ComiskeyBrewer
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
found this on another forum. I think it holds true

The good:
-Wild Card/realignment
-MLB Network
-New stadiums/record attendance
-Not touching Pete Rose situation
-Interleague play

The bad:
-1994 Strike
-Delayed response to steroid situation
-Playoff schedule realignment

The ugly:
-2002 All Star Game

Debatable/TBD:
-All Star game home field advantage
-Revenue sharing
-Montreal Expos' move to DC
-Instant replay
-Current PED use in baseball
-Next CBA
-World Baseball Classic

ewokpelts
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
The commissioner is supposed to represent the interests of the game itself, not the owners and not the players.

The union, by its very nature, would be irresponsible to not exclusively represent the interests of the players. They are two different things.the commisioner has ALWAYS been an employee of the owners. from landis to selig, the check is written by the member clubs.

it was selig who proposed merging all 30 teams' website operations into mlb advanced media. that operation,, which owns mlb.com and mlb.tv, is worth so much money now that mlb's investment consultants are begging them to ipo MLBAM.
also, mlb network has been a huge hit, and brings in quite a bit of cash for mlb.

these two things were selig ideas or ideas pushed by him.

btw, mlbam does such a good job of running websites, it also handles outside properties like MLS and Guns N Roses. It it's good enough for Axl....

ewokpelts
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm aware of that. Selig does act, however, as if he is still an owner.how so?

ewokpelts
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I'll make replies in bold.found this on another forum. I think it holds true

The good:
-Wild Card/realignment -Divisional realignment was good, and needed. however, moving the brewers to the nl central was kinda dumb. especially when it had more to do with the diamondbacks not wanting to play in the AL than Bud wanting to test interleage realignment.
-MLB Network - way overdue, and they made up for lost time. nfl network is the only sports leage network that could rival MLBN, but they dont maximise thier film library as much as mlb does offseason.
-New stadiums/record attendance - money talks. mlb draws more people than movie theatres.
-Not touching Pete Rose situation - his actions in this area make sense. rose admitted to bud about his gambling, and to be honest, that's all he needs to maintain the lifetime ban. he may give rose a reprieve in 2012, but i doubt it.
-Interleague play - needs work schedule-wise, but a hit.

The bad:
-1994 Strike - donald fehr has as much to blame as bud or jerry.
-Delayed response to steroid situation - he's made up for lost time, but the damage is already done
-Playoff schedule realignment - too much time off due to tbs and fox not wanting to compete head to head. not good

The ugly:
-2002 All Star Game - the irony is that this happened in the ballpark he built, but this is more joe torre and bob brenly's fault. but it forced changes in the way the ASG is played and managed(for the better), and 2008 proved that the damage from 2002 wont happen again....also gave more players(esp pitchers) ASG spots to fill, as the focus has turned back to playing a good game as opposed as a little league exhibition...

Debatable/TBD:
-All Star game home field advantage - good for ratings, and the 2006 cardinals and 2008 phillies proved that home field advantage aint all that.
-Revenue sharing - needed. just hope teams are using it to make thier clubs better.
-Montreal Expos' move to DC - made the owners LOTS of money. also got congress off mlb's back about contraction and anti-trust. major move by bud.
-Instant replay - not really his call, but i like his stance on it's limited use.
-Current PED use in baseball - the protocols are in place to punish offenders, look at manny ramirez. i just dont liek how bud's waffling about the minor leage rehab stints.
-Next CBA - we'll see.....
-World Baseball Classic - needed. and it makes money for both the league AND player's union.....

Trav
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
If people think Selig is bad, they should look to the NHL for an even more clueless commissioner.

So just who is the tallest midget?

doublem23
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
When did Mac have that bottle of andro in his locker, in open view of reporters?

You're missing the point.

Even after Big Mac's little secret was out, fans still packed Busch Stadium to the rafters to watch him hit. Fans complain and whine about steroids, but their wallets speak louder than their words. If people actually cared that much about 'roids, why are they still emptying their bank accounts to go to games?

ComiskeyBrewer
11-30-2009, 11:41 PM
I'll make replies in bold.

Yep, i agree with pretty much everything you said. As for moving the brewers to the NL, i agree. He gave the Royals first pick(they declined). Too bad they didn't, as i loved playing detroit, the sox and the yankees/red sox alot more than the cubs, cardinals, lastros and pirates all the darn time.

Trav
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
You're missing the point.

Even after Big Mac's little secret was out, fans still packed Busch Stadium to the rafters to watch him hit. Fans complain and whine about steroids, but their wallets speak louder than their words. If people actually cared that much about 'roids, why are they still emptying their bank accounts to go to games?

I agree that the fans do not care. I blame the reporters who put their head in the sand while it was obvious a majority of players were juicing for the apathy at the time. I also blame reporters who are now pandering to the lowest common denominator by trying to vilify the cheaters. Those same fans are the ones reading the speculation and enjoying the sensationalism surrounding PEDs. I will be blaming reporters for not investigating the new PEDs that the MLB doesn't test for.

I don't see how making money or having record attendance makes up for the watering down of the sport. Between expansion and the WC the competition is not what it once was.

ewokpelts
12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
So just who is the tallest midget?Selig has made his sport more popular and generate massive profits. Buttman nearly killed his sport in America, where the majority of teams play in.

Trav
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Selig has made his sport more popular and generate massive profits. Buttman nearly killed his sport in America, where the majority of teams play in.
I question whether Selig has made baseball more popular when more people prefer to watch the NFL than ever have before. Saying that someone is better than Bettman is too easy. It is not saying anything at all.

ewokpelts
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I question whether Selig has made baseball more popular when more people prefer to watch the NFL than ever have before. Saying that someone is better than Bettman is too easy. It is not saying anything at all.record attendance and record local tv ratings for most clubs.
the white sox have have FIVE years in a ROW of attendance of 2 million or higher. the brewers have broken thier all time attendance marks 2 years in a row(and 2007 was a shade under the then-all time mark set in 1983). And this is with tickets, beer, and food costing more.

the brewers and tigers as late as 2005 had less than 70% of games on TV. Now all but a handful of games are now on tv.

nfl's the top league because of gambling. but mlb inpires almost insane loyalty through a rough 8 month period between when pitchers and catchers report to the last out of the world series....

soxinem1
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
record attendance and record local tv ratings for most clubs.
the white sox have have FIVE years in a ROW of attendance of 2 million or higher. the brewers have broken thier all time attendance marks 2 years in a row(and 2007 was a shade under the then-all time mark set in 1983). And this is with tickets, beer, and food costing more.

the brewers and tigers as late as 2005 had less than 70% of games on TV. Now all but a handful of games are now on tv.

nfl's the top league because of gambling. but mlb inpires almost insane loyalty through a rough 8 month period between when pitchers and catchers report to the last out of the world series....

You raise some excellent and solid points with your responses in this thread, both about Selig and comparisons to the NFL.

Especially on the gambling. During football season I hear kids and grownups alike everywhere saying lines like:

'I had $20 on the Saints with a seven point spread.......'

spawn
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
record attendance and record local tv ratings for most clubs.

You know, I always thought I was a bigger fan of football, but the highlited portion of your post made me come to my senses. I've been able to go a weekend without following football closely, or making arrangements to watch my Cowboys in action. From the start of ST until the last out of the season, I'm always following baseball. My wife gets annoyed when we're out and I check the scores on my phone, even when we're just grocery shopping. I never do that during football season. Very interesting.