PDA

View Full Version : Pods or Crisp ?

NLaloosh
11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Well, it appears to me that the Sox now have one spot open and that's for a starting outfielder and leadoff hitter. I could be wrong but it seems logical that we have so far:

1. Beckham
2. Konerko
3. A.J.
4. Jones
5. Vizquel
6. Kotsay
7. Teahen
8. Ramirez
9. Rios
10. Quentin
11. Nix or other infielder
12. back up catcher

So, assuming this, who would you rather the Sox sign, Pods or Crisp?

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Give me the guy who can play the outfield well and has a history of hitting fairly decent.

DirtySox
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Andruw Jones is a bench player, not the DH.

tm1119
11-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Andruw Jones is a bench player, not the DH.

Yeah theres no way KW goes into the season with Jones as the only option at DH. Both Jones and Kotsay give the Sox some flexibility with their ability to play RF/LF/1B, but no way they can be starters if we expect to be a good team next season. Bringing Thome back and having Jones DH against LHP isnt an awful idea, but I would still like 1 definite starter. The saying that if you have 2 starters, you dont have any usually rings true.

Oh and I voted for Coco. They will more than likely put up a similar .280/.340 line, but Coco has been an elite defender in the past that separates him from Pods by a decent margin for me.

WhiteSox5187
11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Crisp is the better player, but I voted for Pods for strictly sentimental reasons.

Brian26
11-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I voted for Crisp. I like the idea of some new blood on this team with something to prove, maybe a slight chip on his shoulder.

Pods was a blessing of a stop-gap last year, but his legs were showing signs of slowing down, and I have a feeling he won't be able to match what he did at the plate.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM
I voted for Crisp. I like the idea of some new blood on this team with something to prove, maybe a slight chip on his shoulder.

Pods was a blessing of a stop-gap last year, but his legs were showing signs of slowing down, and I have a feeling he won't be able to match what he did at the plate.

I believe we call that feeling "logic"

jamokes
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM
IF healthy Coco could finally reach his potential.

Nellie_Fox
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM
The grass is always greener...

MarkZ35
11-26-2009, 02:41 AM
If we're talking the 7.5 mil. or whatever that Pods wants compared to the ~4-5 mil.~ Crisp gets then I would say Crisp. If it comes down to similar salaries then I would rather Pods.

NLaloosh
11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I would've said Crisp before surgeries on both shoulders. I've had surgery on one and I can't imagine that this guy will be 100 % to start the season.

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Crisp is younger, and considering he's a lifetime .300 + hitter aginst White Sox pitching,let's see if Kenny can catch lightning in a bottle.... again.

Nellie_Fox
11-27-2009, 01:36 AM
...considering he's a lifetime .300 + hitter aginst White Sox pitching...He wouldn't be facing White Sox pitching.

JermaineDye05
11-27-2009, 02:06 AM
He wouldn't be facing White Sox pitching.

True, however that doesn't mean he won't be successful with the Sox.

JD was a sox killer before we signed him (.298 15 HR 44 RBI)

cws05champ
11-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Figgins...

russ99
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
If faced with a choice, I'd go with Pods, since we now know he can stay healthy with his new regimen and when healthy can put up very good numbers.

But Crisp has the same injury concerns as Scott, and had not shown he can produce the same at the top of the order, except for that one year in Cleveland which everyone blindly assumes he can do again.

Also Crisp has never stolen more than 28 bases a season, and his best OBP was .345. He's not exactly the prototypical leadoff hitter, and with a average to above average healthy year Pods can beat those career highs fairly easily.

I vote for Pods even though it's unlikely he's coming back, since I can't vote for neither. I'm sure there are other options.

What about Randy Winn? Or Mike Cameron and oh yeah that Figgins guy...

As for DH, Matsui or Dunn would do nicely.

I don't buy the complaints about payroll. When Kenny's out of money, he'll say so. Up to now, he hasn't said so, so all options are on the table.

tm1119
11-27-2009, 11:11 PM
If faced with a choice, I'd go with Pods, since we now know he can stay healthy with his new regimen and when healthy can put up very good numbers.

But Crisp has the same injury concerns as Scott, and had not shown he can produce the same at the top of the order, except for that one year in Cleveland which everyone blindly assumes he can do again.

Also Crisp has never stolen more than 28 bases a season, and his best OBP was .345. He's not exactly the prototypical leadoff hitter, and with a average to above average healthy year Pods can beat those career highs fairly easily.

I vote for Pods even though it's unlikely he's coming back, since I can't vote for neither. I'm sure there are other options.

What about Randy Winn? Or Mike Cameron and oh yeah that Figgins guy...

As for DH, Matsui or Dunn would do nicely.

I don't buy the complaints about payroll. When Kenny's out of money, he'll say so. Up to now, he hasn't said so, so all options are on the table.

And what exactly are you basing this on? It certainly cant be stats because Pods and Crisp have the exact same career average at .277. Pods has Crisp in OBP by .09, but Crisp has the higher OPS by .18. In other words, their offensive out puts have been nearly identical through out this point in their careers. So if the offensive numbers are the same you have to then go by defense, which Crisp has the clear cut edge. Not to mention Crisp is younger, and im really not buying this whole "health regime" that Pods has. Lets wait and see him play more than 1 season 1st.
Im not saying there is a definite right or wrong choice between the 2, it could very well come down to $.

HarryChappas
11-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Trade Jenks ($), sign Figgins, sign Jimmy on the cheap. Division is hours! Jenks is OVER.

JermaineDye05
11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Trade Jenks ($), sign Figgins, sign Jimmy on the cheap. Division is hours! Jenks is OVER.

I don't know what about this to criticize first.

DirtySox
11-28-2009, 10:39 PM

"Division is hours" is my choice.

HarryChappas
11-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Jenks=8 Dotel=2? -Figgins $10 Thome $2 (Buy more beer and it is a wash!)

JermaineDye05
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
"Division is hours" is my choice.

ditto

HarryChappas
11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
ditto

Beer

MISoxfan
11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
And what exactly are you basing this on? It certainly cant be stats because Pods and Crisp have the exact same career average at .277. Pods has Crisp in OBP by .09, but Crisp has the higher OPS by .18. In other words, their offensive out puts have been nearly identical through out this point in their careers. So if the offensive numbers are the same you have to then go by defense, which Crisp has the clear cut edge. Not to mention Crisp is younger, and im really not buying this whole "health regime" that Pods has. Lets wait and see him play more than 1 season 1st.
Im not saying there is a definite right or wrong choice between the 2, it could very well come down to $.

Sounds expensive.

kaufsox
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
turth to tell, not thrilled with either, but voted for Pods partly because of the type of injury Crisp had a year ago. IIRC, wasn't surgery on BOTH shoulders? Seems like a lot to bounce back from, especially if the expectation is to perform at his past level.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Out of curiosity, do pro sports teams have insurance on players? Like could the Yankees take out an insurance plan on A-Rod so that they're compensated if he goes down for a prolonged period of time? Kind of like stories that I've heard of soccer players insuring their legs?