PDA

View Full Version : Phillies sign Dewayne Wise

DaveFeelsRight
11-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Let's hope he isn't their starting CF.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/phillies-sign-dewayne-wise-wilson-valdez.html

PaleHoser
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Why not? I'd like to see Wise in CF for the Fightin' Phils when the Sox play the Phillies in the 2010 World Series.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Does Wise best Rowand's catch in Philly?

beasly213
11-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Good for you Wise. Always seemed like a nice guy glad he found work somewhere.

oeo
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh, but I thought no one else would ever sign him. :rolleyes:

Good luck Wise, you may not have much talent, but at least you play every game like it's your last (which it may very well be :tongue:).

Noneck
11-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Someone said Wise wouldn't be signed to a minor league contract?

oeo
11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Someone said Wise wouldn't be signed to a minor league contract?

That's where it all started with the Sox. :shrug:

VeeckAsInWreck
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for "The Catch" now good luck to you in Philly.

GoGoCrede
11-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm very happy for him. I hope he has a monster year.

It's Dankerific
11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I hope we can trade for him at the deadline.

VMSNS
11-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Shane Victorino to the White Sox.

Marqhead
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Give me a sec while I update my signature to include a Wise tracker.

Frater Perdurabo
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
11-25-2009, 08:40 PM
He had one moment in the sun, but has been on the DL a dozen times in his pro career. He should NEVER have been given the chances that he did with the Sox.

Farewell. (finally...)

Lip

LongLiveFisk
11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Give me a sec while I update my signature to include a Wise tracker.

With a Wise cracker. :wink:

SoxFan1979
11-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Good luck Wise, you may not have much talent, but at least you play every game like it's your last (which it may very well be :tongue:).

:D: :D:

Good luck to you D Wise!

BleacherBandit
11-25-2009, 10:34 PM
He would have had an easier time getting to play on the Sox than on the Phillies, but oh well. Maybe Ibanez is prone to get injured more often now that he's up there. They could use a decent fielder.

thomas35forever
11-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Good luck Dewayne. You'll always hold a special place in White Sox history.

slavko
11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
He would have had an easier time getting to play on the Sox than on the Phillies, but oh well. Maybe Ibanez is prone to get injured more often now that he's up there. They could use a decent fielder.

Until he made that catch, most of us didn't regard him as a decent fielder. Remember some of those routes on flyballs in the gaps?

soxinem1
11-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Let's hope he isn't their starting CF.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/phillies-sign-dewayne-wise-wilson-valdez.html

In that OF he might not get 100 AB's.

He better bring a catcher's mitt to ST.

Dibbs
11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I bet he never sniffs the majors with the Phillies. I am so glad to see him gone.

spawn
11-27-2009, 04:16 PM
He had one moment in the sun, but has been on the DL a dozen times in his pro career. He should NEVER have been given the chances that he did with the Sox.

Farewell. (finally...)

Lip
Well, I for one am gld he did get the chances he did with the Sox. As much as people hated him around here, last season he made quite a few outstanding plays in the outfield, and he played hard whenever he was there. He wasn't the liability everyone hoped he would be. Good luck D.Wise.:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll always remember"the catch".

goon
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Good luck to Dewayne, he always came to play.

Patrick134
11-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Farewell. (finally...)

Lip

Shouldn't have been given the chance to hit a huge home run in game 1 of the ALDS in 2008 (that Javy wasted) ? I'm not thie biggest D-Wise fan either, but this post was ridiculous.

34 Inch Stick
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Shouldn't have been given the chance to hit a huge home run in game 1 of the ALDS in 2008 (that Javy wasted) ? I'm not thie biggest D-Wise fan either, but this post was ridiculous.

Shouldn't have been given a chance to be an Opening Day starter and leadoff hitter. There was NOTHING rediculous about the post.

Craig Grebeck
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM

...or no one would ever pay him what he received last year. But why not distort others' arguments to give yours a sense of reality that isn't there?

Shoeless_Jeff
11-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I'll always remember DeWayne Wise. A good player? No. But he played hard every time he was out there which, in my book, puts him above some of these "superstar" players that only play for themselves.

Of course, everyone remembers "the catch" in the perfecto.

My favorite memory of Wise was from the second game of a double header against the Tigers in September last year. The Sox took a 7 run lead and Danks pitched six scoreless and then the bullpen took a dump with Dotel giving up a slam to Marcus Thames to tie it. The very next half inning the Sox loaded the bases and Wise pinch hit and answered with a slam of his own. That was a great game to go to.

Good luck, Wise.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
2009-2010 off-season for the Phillies:

Dec. 17th: Acquire OF Brian Anderson, cash, and 5 players to be named later for OF Shane Victorino

Dec. 18th: Attempt to convince White Sox to trade Ozzie Guillen for Charlie Manuel

Dec. 18th: White Sox reject offer

Dec. 19th: Dewayne Wise demands trade. States reason as "conflict of interest" due to the organization employing both a sane manager and Brian Anderson. He realizes this lethal combination means that he doesn't stand a chance in hell of ever playing.

TDog
12-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Until he made that catch, most of us didn't regard him as a decent fielder. Remember some of those routes on flyballs in the gaps?

The irony is that when he played center, he played too shallow, and the catch he will be remembered for was retrieving a ball that appeared to be going out of the ballpark.

Wise wasn't nearly as bad as he is commonly branded in WSI threads. He certainly got more out of his abilities than Alex Rios did last season.

Craig Grebeck
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
The irony is that when he played center, he played too shallow, and the catch he will be remembered for was retrieving a ball that appeared to be going out of the ballpark.

Wise wasn't nearly as bad as he is commonly branded in WSI threads. He certainly got more out of his abilities than Alex Rios did last season.
And Rios is a far better player overall. Your post is pointless.

voodoochile
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
2009-2010 off-season for the Phillies:

Dec. 17th: Acquire OF Brian Anderson, cash, and 5 players to be named later for OF Shane Victorino

Dec. 18th: Attempt to convince White Sox to trade Ozzie Guillen for Charlie Manuel

Dec. 18th: White Sox reject offer

Dec. 19th: Dewayne Wise demands trade. States reason as "conflict of interest" due to the organization employing both a sane manager and Brian Anderson. He realizes this lethal combination means that he doesn't stand a chance in hell of ever playing.

:rolleyes:

TDog
12-02-2009, 05:03 PM

The blind hatred of Wise is what is pointless.

From the point that Rios came to the White Sox last year, Wise was a better hitter and a better fielder. Clearly Rios is the more talented player. The sample size is small, especially considering Wise went on the disabled list when Rios was acquired and didn't return until the rosters were expanded a couple of weeks later. But within that small sample size it seems Wise pretty much could have provided what Rios provided, although he would have been booed for it.

In the future Rios should be the more productive player, without question. But the point is that that it is irrational to harbor hatred for Wise while not hating a player more for underachieving (salary relative to productivity) to Wise's level.

It's Dankerific
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
The blind hatred of Wise is what is pointless.

From the point that Rios came to the White Sox last year, Wise was a better hitter and a better fielder. Clearly Rios is the more talented player. The sample size is small, especially considering Wise went on the disabled list when Rios was acquired and didn't return until the rosters were expanded a couple of weeks later. But within that small sample size it seems Wise pretty much could have provided what Rios provided, although he would have been booed for it.

In the future Rios should be the more productive player, without question. But the point is that that it is irrational to harbor hatred for Wise while not hating a player more for underachieving (salary relative to productivity) to Wise's level.

BA did better than both of them in that same sample size with the smallest salary. Whats the point?

spawn
12-02-2009, 05:11 PM
BA did better than both of them in that same sample size with the smallest salary. Whats the point?
In such a small sample size, they all sucked? That of the three, Wise was the least talented, and still wasn't as bad defensively as everyone made him out to be? :shrug:

It's Dankerific
12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
In such a small sample size, they all sucked? That of the three, Wise was the least talented, and still wasn't as bad defensively as everyone made him out to be? :shrug:

So now: .294 BA, .381 OBP, .647 SLG sucks??

spawn
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
No, but .227 BA, .290 OBP, .370 SLG in 5 years is nothing for me to get excited about. :shrug:

And we are NOT turning this into another Brian Anderson thread, so I'm done.

It's Dankerific
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM

No, but .227 BA, .290 OBP, .370 SLG in 5 years is nothing for me to get excited about. :shrug:

ok :scratch:

Frontman
12-02-2009, 05:38 PM

How is his point pointless? Wise did better with his skills, substandard as they are; than Rios did with all his potential.

I have no qualms wishing the guy well; and hope he does play on the major league roster for the Phils and have a good season for them.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2009, 10:02 PM

BOO!!!! Where's the Christmas spirit? It's not everyday we get to turn threads into BA threads anymore... it's been tough since the trade.

Also, I'd like to know how it is that Dankterrific didn't post until there was a Brian Anderson reference in the thread. I'm curious as to whether he still searches for threads by BA's name.

doublem23
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM

That's like saying there's more water in a full pint glass than a half-full tub. Yeah, the pint glass may be less empty, but the tub still has a hell of a lot more water.

Ozzie didn't do Dewayne any favors by putting him in positions to fail (leading off? GMAB) but realistically, Dewayne was in a position to fail every second he was on a team's 25-man-roster.

Lundind1
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Lest we not forget "THE CATCH" ever again. Super-sub in the outfield. That is all he would be for them.

It's Dankerific
12-02-2009, 11:49 PM
BOO!!!! Where's the Christmas spirit? It's not everyday we get to turn threads into BA threads anymore... it's been tough since the trade.

Also, I'd like to know how it is that Dankterrific didn't post until there was a Brian Anderson reference in the thread. I'm curious as to whether he still searches for threads by BA's name.

How could I not open a thread about Wise? He's the best. My original comment was on page 1, I don't go around trying to break threads with BA.

Taliesinrk
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
How could I not open a thread about Wise? He's the best. My original comment was on page 1, I don't go around trying to break threads with BA.

Again, my hope for a ridiculous thread hijack has failed. I give up. I thought this one had hope.