PDA

View Full Version : 2010 bench vs. 2009 bench

Jimmy Piersall
11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I know this coming season's unit hasn't been settled yet but
just for the hell of it,let's take a look at this:

Current--Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel/Catcher TBD...Blanco would work just fine.

Last Year--Wise or BA/Betemit/Littlebridge/The Cork

And yeah,i know it didn't stay that way all last year but that's what it
was at the start.I prolly missed somebody since my memory sucks but
Kenny has set it up this time to be better.Thoughts ?

Frontman
11-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I like the fact its an experienced bench this season; versus a mix of journeymen AAA players and kids too young to shave yet.

I have faith in KW's plan....so far.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
No more Jayson Nix, I like. Tired of guys watching strike 3 right down the middle with the bases loaded.

The guy gets walked two times with the bases loaded by AJ Burnet and all of a sudden he was Frank Thomas.

Noneck
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Until they fill the lead off spot, at least 1 corner OF and DH, I will reserve my comments knowing that the players listed are indeed bench players.

DSpivack
11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Hard for me to comment on the bench on Thanksgiving. I'll wait until Opening Day to see what the team ends up looking like. It's a long offseason, and I still kind of doubt Jones makes the team.

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The way the economy is, it may be that many players will be searching for jobs in January/February. At least that's what the media wants us to believe.

Lip Man 1
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Sox70:

Actually it's not just the media, a number of baseball people are expecting the exact same thing.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Sox70:

Actually it's not just the media, a number of baseball people are expecting the exact same thing.

Lip

Are you saying that in January or February, 50 cents has the same purchasing power as $1 does in November and December?
:tongue:

soxinem1
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
You can't make everyone happy I suppose, but this bench is aces on paper versus 2009 by far.

If we have too many veterans, then we are the retirement home for grey-beards.

If you have rookies and AAA players, then you are being cheap/hurting the rookies' development/relying on lack of experience.

I like how this bench is shaping up, and frankly, we have some depth.

You don't want to think about it or want it to happen, but if/when there are any injuries, at least we have some guys who can fill in for a decent stretch.

The bench will also be far more formidable offensively.

Foulke You
11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
No more Jayson Nix, I like. Tired of guys watching strike 3 right down the middle with the bases loaded.

The guy gets walked two times with the bases loaded by AJ Burnet and all of a sudden he was Frank Thomas.
I was at the Burnett game you were referring to but despite that, I still think of Nix as striking out more swinging than looking. He is especially a sucker for pitches down and in.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I was at the Burnett game you were referring to but despite that, I still think of Nix as striking out more swinging than looking. He is especially a sucker for pitches down and in.

That's not the game, because I was at that game. In fact, Nix twice drew walks with the bases loaded in that day, both times vs. Burnett. He also doubled and had an intentional walk. He had 4 RBIs.

Some people get the impression that when something happens once, it happens to that player every time and they are stereotyped from that one time. Nix was erratic all year, but I would not draw conclusions about his overall ability based on his plate appearances with the bases loaded.

Foulke You
11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
That's not the game, because I was at that game. In fact, Nix twice drew walks with the bases loaded in that day, both times vs. Burnett. He also doubled and had an intentional walk. He had 4 RBIs.

Some people get the impression that when something happens once, it happens to that player every time and they are stereotyped from that one time. Nix was erratic all year, but I would not draw conclusions about his overall ability based on his plate appearances with the bases loaded.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I remember the game where Nix walked twice with the bags loaded. I was saying that DESPITE his performance there, I remember him going down swinging more often during the season rather than going down looking a lot as JermaineDye05 hinted at.

Overall, I agree with your post though. Tough to draw conclusions based on a handful of plate appearances when he came through with a walk. It's also hard to judge Nix completely as a hitter because he only got to play every day for a couple of stretches when Getz got hurt. Otherwise he was put in the Tony Graffanino "super sub" role.

Sam Spade
11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Nix was the only person hitting the ball for a good stretch. Its pretty sad to think about.

JohnTucker0814
11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm more than happy to have a bench of Vizquel, A. Jones, Kotsay, BU C, DH

I really am concerned that we aren't going to find a proven power guy to play DH/OF. I'd really like for us to take on Burrels salary from the Rays in an effort to get B.J. Upton. The rays might be willing to take less prospects if we are willing to take on the last year of Burrell. We are in need of a power bat and leadoff hitter, they fill both of those roles!

C - A.J.
1b - Konerko
2b - Beckham
3b - Teahen
ss - Ramirez
lf - Quentin/Burrell
cf - Upton
rf - rios
dh - Burrell/Quentin

1 - Upton
2 - Rios
3 - Beckham
4 - Quentin
5 - Ramirez
6 - Pierzynski
7 - Konerko
8 - Burrell
9 - Teahen

Very right handed, but seriously, why does it matter if you are??? It would be a big deal if you had 5 or 6 left handed batters cause tough lefties would give you a hard time.