PDA

View Full Version : WEEI - KFAN - Mauer headed to Red Sox???

Fenway
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Both WEEI and KFAN are hinting that the Twins and Red Sox could be going for a blockbuster

Boston gets Mauer IF he signs a longer deal

Twins would get Papelbon,
Buchholz and V-Mart.

Good Gawd

Theo has said he thinks Boston only has one run left in them before reloading. This could do it.

The Twins may feel they can't sign Mauer but can get quality. Why Papelbon would interest them I have no clue..unless something else is cooking.

All Gammons would say 'I know they are talking'

chunk
11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
The Red Sox are the new Yankees, attached to any and every big name that could be available.

hi im skot
11-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Fenway - I'll change my signature to whatever you want if this trade goes through.

There's no way in hell this happens.

DirtySox
11-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Gross. I wouldn't mind Mauer out of division, but him going to the Red Sox or Yankees disgusts me.

Noneck
11-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Seeing Papelbon 18 times a year would be disgusting. I mean seeing him, not the Sox facing him. I would rather have the Sox face him than Nathan.

Now back to posted thread.
Utter blosox nonsense.

dickallen15
11-24-2009, 07:29 PM
In Minneapolis they are saying Mauer will sign an extension by Christmas. There is no way the Twins sign him to trade him. It would destroy their franchise. It looks like Otis has made his way to Boston radio. Its not like the Pohlads have no money.

BadBobbyJenks
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a crazy WSI rumor to me. Good to see it happens everywhere.

Fenway
11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
There is one unknown...how is Target Field going to play?

WEEI had the lunatic from KFAN on..

I don't know who Mauer has for an agent but when you know BOTH NYY and Boston need catching ----

Boston will need a big bat especially if Bay goes elsewhere.

I don't even think Otis could cook this one up

Hitmen77
11-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Both WEEI and KFAN are hinting that the Twins and Red Sox could be going for a blockbuster

Buchholz and V-Mart.

Good Gawd

Theo has said he thinks Boston only has one run left in them before reloading. This could do it.

The Twins may feel they can't sign Mauer but can get quality. Why Papelbon would interest them I have no clue..unless something else is cooking.

I would love to have Mauer out of the division, but seriously if this goes through: :puking:

It would be further proof that MLB's system is broken and it's really all about the Yankees and Red Sox and a select few other rich teams buying up all the talent. Baseball fever, catch it!

oeo
11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Mauer could be considered the best player in the game given his position. That's a crap return, if you ask me.

DumpJerry
11-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't know who Mauer has for an agent but when you know BOTH NYY and Boston need catching ----
Ron Shapiro.

This ain't happening, no need to get worked up.

If the Twins let Mauer get away, no matter who they get in return or what the result is on the field, their fans will leave them in anger.

HomeFish
11-24-2009, 08:22 PM
I will, at my own expense, fly to Minnesota, rent a limo, and personally drive Mauer to Boston if it means this trade will happen. I want him out of the AL Central.

KenBerryGrab
11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Cue Blondie:

"Dreaming...dreaming is free.....

soxfanreggie
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I will, at my own expense, fly to Minnesota, rent a limo, and personally drive Mauer to Boston if it means this trade will happen. I want him out of the AL Central.

I think you'd find enough Sox, Tigers, and Indians fans willing to charter a first class flight for him to go there. The Royals fans probably wouldn't care enough to contribute.

beasly213
11-24-2009, 08:37 PM

I'll split the cost with ya. :D:

Jpgr91
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Twins trade the cornerstone of their franchise as they are about to move into a new stadium alienating scores of possible new season ticket holders. Sounds real logical to me!

Brian26
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
There's a rumor that the Twins have made a counter-offer:

Pedroia for Slowey, Span and Sal Butera.

oeo
11-24-2009, 10:00 PM

We've got him figured out, he only batted .250 against us this year. :D:

If the Red Sox are going to trade for Mauer, they need to start with Lester and go from there.

DumpJerry
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Too bad the Twins already traded Gomez.

JermaineDye05
11-25-2009, 01:06 AM
As much as I'd love for Mauer to leave the AL Central, him going to the Red Sox doesn't really soften the blow. I'm tired of the Yankees and Red Sox having a monopoly on all the elite players.

Plus, if Mauer goes to the Red Sox, that means we'll have to face him in the playoffs which me no likey.

doublem23
11-25-2009, 05:14 AM
The Sawx are also making a strong push for Roy Halladay apparently. Can't see how they could pull both of these moves off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4687981

soxinem1
11-25-2009, 05:48 AM
There's a rumor that the Twins have made a counter-offer:

Pedroia for Slowey, Span and Sal Butera.

The journeyman catcher, or is there another one?

As much as I dislike MIN as a rival, in this case I hope they sign Mauer. Just like Justin Morneau (who the NYY targeted before he signed his extension), it would be nice to have two top-flight players tell both the Yankmees and BOS that they cannot be bought.

I'm sick of small markets playing farm team for the deep wallets.

moochpuppy
11-25-2009, 07:41 AM
There would be an uprising in the Twin Cities if this trade went down.

wilburaga
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
The Red Sox are the new Yankees, attached to any and every big name that could be available.

Let's see, last offseason the Yankees signed Sabathia, Beckett and Teixeira. I'd say the Yankees are the new Yankees.

W

seventyseven
11-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Mauer could be considered the best player in the game given his position. That's a crap return, if you ask me.

If you mean to say he's the best catcher in baseball, I agree.

Otherwise, :scratch:

Twins_Morneau
11-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Not a chance, unless the owner plans to contract the team this season.:D:

Boondock Saint
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Not a chance, unless the owner plans to contract the team this season.:D:

One can only hope.

PalehosePlanet
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Twins trade the cornerstone of their franchise as they are about to move into a new stadium alienating scores of possible new season ticket holders. Sounds real logical to me!

Why? Should they hold onto him for the year and then watch him walk away next winer with no return?

I'm guessing Mauer will get 6-8 years at 150-200 million. There is absolutely no way in hell the Twins will pay anywhere near that (see Johan Santana, circa winter of '07-'08.)

Also, Mauer has stated that the most important thing to him is winning. He knows the team would be financially handcuffed if he were to make a quarter, or more, of the payroll.

ewokpelts
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Why? Should they hold onto him for the year and then watch him walk away next winer with no return?

I'm guessing Mauer will get 6-8 years at 150-200 million. There is absolutely no way in hell the Twins will pay anywhere near that (see Johan Santana, circa winter of '07-'08.)

Also, Mauer has stated that the most important thing to him is winning. He knows the team would be financially handcuffed if he were to make a quarter, or more, of the payroll.but they also stand to MAKE a lot of money going into a new stadium with suites that they control, as well as parking revenue that they havent seen since 1981. twins will be set in the short term cash wise. they need to invest in at least mauer to tell fans that the stadium wasnt for naught....

PalehosePlanet
11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
but they also stand to MAKE a lot of money going into a new stadium with suites that they control, as well as parking revenue that they havent seen since 1981. twins will be set in the short term cash wise. they need to invest in at least mauer to tell fans that the stadium wasnt for naught....

I understand that, but they are still a small market team (more by choice than reality) and conduct business as such. Extra money coming in doesn't mean Pohlad, et al will pay a player more than 20 million a year.

ewokpelts
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I understand that, but they are still a small market team (more by choice than reality) and conduct business as such. Extra money coming in doesn't mean Pohlad, et al will pay a player more than 20 million a year.mauer's the face of the franchise.
and he's still very young. a long term commitment to him will possibly signal the end of the twins being a feeder team for east coast teams that gets lucky and wins a division or two....

asindc
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Also, Mauer has stated that the most important thing to him is winning. He knows the team would be financially handcuffed if he were to make a quarter, or more, of the payroll.

You did not mention the wild card in this scenario, which is that he is a hometown hero. I think that will trump everything you mentioned.

munchman33
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
You did not mention the wild card in this scenario, which is that he is a hometown hero. I think that will trump everything you mentioned.

Is that Wild Card worth $100 million? It's a pretty unreasonable stretch to assume Mauer will remain a Twin for any reason other than an economic boom in the Twin Cities.

PalehosePlanet
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Well, so far he hasn't budged. After winning the MVP his price just went up even higher. From everything that I've read, he's not giving a hometown discount.

Also, if he were to go a large market team his endorsement possibilities will go through the roof. I guess we'll see just how far his twinkie roots run.

The Twins are trying to get something done extension wise by Christmas. My guess: If that doesn't happen --- and I could be wrong but I don't see the Twins giving over 20 million per to anyone --- the twinkies will try and move him.

TheVulture
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
The last time the Twins had a player of Mauer's caliber, they signed him to what at the time was the largest contract in MLB history when he hit free agency. Of course, that was a different era, but if I recall, most assumed he was gone before he signed.

soltrain21
11-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Buchholz and V-Mart.

Good Gawd

Oh get that bolded part out of here. You aren't the little brother anymore. You are the Yankees. Face it.

sullythered
11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
The last time the Twins had a player of Mauer's caliber, they signed him to what at the time was the largest contract in MLB history when he hit free agency. Of course, that was a different era, but if I recall, most assumed he was gone before he signed.
Wasn't the last time the Twins had a player of Mauer's caliber when they had Johan Santana?

DumpJerry
11-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Wasn't the last time the Twins had a player of Mauer's caliber when they had Johan Santana?
No. Apples and oranges. You can't say Johan was the same caliber as Mauer since the measure of success for the two is completely different because Johan is a Pitcher.

Johan did not contribute offensively (except for 2-3 interleague games) and plays in about 30-35 games vs. the 140 or so in a typical full season for a position player.

Mauer is one of those once-in-a-lifetime players. Johan isn't.

doublem23
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Mauer is one of those once-in-a-lifetime players. Johan isn't.

From 04-06, Johan went 55-19 in 101 games, with an ERA of 2.75 (ERA+ of 165), and had more K than IP.

Yeah, he was that good.

LoveYourSuit
11-29-2009, 11:50 PM
From 04-06, Johan went 55-19 in 101 games, with an ERA of 2.75 (ERA+ of 165), and had more K than IP.

Yeah, he was that good.

Yes indeed. Johan was a "once in a lifetime" pitcher they let go away.

To me an ACE horse like what Johan was as dominant as he is, that's equivalent to trading away the best every day player in the game (although one can argue if Mauer is that guy to begin with)

Nellie_Fox
11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes indeed. Johan was a "once in a lifetime" pitcher they let go away.

To me an ACE horse like what Johan was as dominant as he is, that's equivalent to trading away the best every day player in the game (although one can argue if Mauer is that guy to begin with)Because Santana made it clear he was going to go to the highest bidder, and the Twins knew they could not compete in, much less win, that battle. Santana had no ties to the Twin Cities.

I think Mauer will only want to be treated fairly, and will want to stay home if he can. I'll be amazed if he goes looking for every last dollar.

LoveYourSuit
11-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Because Santana made it clear he was going to go to the highest bidder, and the Twins knew they could not compete in, much less win, that battle. Santana had no ties to the Twin Cities.

I think Mauer will only want to be treated fairly, and will want to stay home if he can. I'll be amazed if he goes looking for every last dollar.

I sure hope so. He looks like a well grounded kid. But the Twins fail to show a commitment to win it all every season. With the talent level they have produced the last decade had they not been so cheap they perhaps would have made a visit or two to the Fall Classic rather than their usual 1 round and out. It pisses off your star players when you see that your front office isn't willing to roll the dice and pay to win it when you are that close.

Maybe the new stadium and added revenue will change the accounting practices up there for the future. That's bad news for the Sox if indeed that happens because the Sox and the Tigers have had the advantage to be playing vs 3 small market teams within the division. The Twins could be moving up to a new level here.

Mohoney
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM

Crap return is a big understatement. It's a complete non-starter.