PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Santos

wilburaga
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
When I saw this guy added to the 40 man roster I thought I'd check him out. A converted infielder, he pitched at all four minor league levels, never won a game and pitched to a cumulative ERA of over 8.00. The only positive stat was his over one strikeout per inning. So what's up with this?

Baseball America just listed the top velocities of all the pitchers in the Arizona Fall League. Santos was second overall (98.8), with only Strassburg topping him. I guess when your heater registers higher than a normal temperature, you warrant a longer look.

W

DirtySox
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
He also has a very good slider. He just can't find the plate very well.

JermaineDye05
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
He also has a very good slider. He just can't find the plate very well.

Yeah, I believe he pitched in the AFL championship game and he was very wild.

guillen4life13
11-25-2009, 03:23 AM
If he has little/no control, he's not going to pan out in the majors.

Remember the early part of this decade? Dan Wright supposedly had the best stuff in the Sox' farm system (and he really did have some great tools... good velocity, and when on, he was VERY effective).

Where is he now?

Only pitchers thrive in the majors. Throwers tend to fizzle. It's all mental and based on control. See mitt, hit mitt. 'Nuff said.

Craig Grebeck
11-25-2009, 04:25 AM

Remember the early part of this decade? Dan Wright supposedly had the best stuff in the Sox' farm system (and he really did have some great tools... good velocity, and when on, he was VERY effective).

Where is he now?

Only pitchers thrive in the majors. Throwers tend to fizzle. It's all mental and based on control. See mitt, hit mitt. 'Nuff said.
Uhh, they just converted him. Everyone knows he's a project.

wilburaga
11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Uhh, they just converted him. Everyone knows he's a project.

Uhh, if by 'just' you meant last spring you'd be right.

And, uhh, maybe everyone was not aware how well he compared with his peers in terms of velocity.

W

Corlose 15
11-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Where is he now?

Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Wright also hurt his arm and never got his good stuff back post injury.

Craig Grebeck
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Uhh, if by 'just' you meant last spring you'd be right.

And, uhh, maybe everyone was not aware how well he compared with his peers in terms of velocity.

W
So in extended spring training. Do you really want to make this a game of semantics?

voodoochile
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Wright also hurt his arm and never got his good stuff back post injury.

Yeah, Wright had incredible stuff, but after the injury he couldn't heat it up anymore. At one point I thought he was going to be a staff ace based on the speed and movement he generated...

doublem23
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, Wright had incredible stuff, but after the injury he couldn't heat it up anymore. At one point I thought he was going to be a staff ace based on the speed and movement he generated...

Maybe I'm not remembering him correctly, but I don't think Dan Wright had "incredible" stuff; this is backed up by a glance at his minor league numbers, which are good, but not GREAT. Not saying he couldn't have been an effective pitcher in the Majors if he didn't get hurt, but "incredible?" I just don't remember it.

Dude didn't have an ounce of control, though.

voodoochile
11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm not remembering him correctly, but I don't think Dan Wright had "incredible" stuff; this is backed up by a glance at his minor league numbers, which are good, but not GREAT. Not saying he couldn't have been an effective pitcher in the Majors if he didn't get hurt, but "incredible?" I just don't remember it.

Dude didn't have an ounce of control, though.

He had that freakish no-no going one time with like 7 walks and 125 pitches through 7 innings or something. He had a nasty curve or slider that would simply buckle guys when it was on and he could hit 96 on the gun.

I only recall seeing him pitch a few times before the injury, but I thought he was a can't miss pitcher at one point.

DSpivack
11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
He had that freakish no-no going one time with like 7 walks and 125 pitches through 7 innings or something. He had a nasty curve or slider that would simply buckle guys when it was on and he could hit 96 on the gun.

I only recall seeing him pitch a few times before the injury, but I thought he was a can't miss pitcher at one point.

AJ Burnett threw a no-hitter like that when he was on the Marlins.

wilburaga
11-25-2009, 02:56 PM
So in extended spring training. Do you really want to make this a game of semantics?

Uhh, no.

W

Hitmen77
11-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Article on Santos by Mark Gonzalez:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-27-white-sox-sergio-santos-nov27,0,2752781.story

It'll be interesting to see what happens if he has some success this coming spring since Santos is out of options according to this article.

Waysouthsider
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
SOXNET posted this analysis.....

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/soxnet/2009/12/fs-scouting-sergio-santos-with-pitch-fx.html

If he can throw the off speed stuff for strikes he could be wicked....the slider looks like a great out pitch for him in any event....doesn't fool anyone with the fastball, though.