11-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Well deserved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4682842

spawn
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
He earned it.

Marqhead
11-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Surprising with two Yankees in the running.

Definitely deserving.

Twins_Morneau
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Great job Joe, I hope u can announce ur new contract any day now.

2 MVPs in 4yrs, not championships but hopefully we're buidling towards one:gulp:

ewokpelts
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
and to think he was the twins' backup plan after prior told them he wanted a ****-ton of money.....

Shoeless_Jeff
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Hate the Twins, but gotta give credit where its due. Mauer deserved it.

Nellie_Fox
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Now they need to get him signed to a 8-10 year deal before the Yankees and Red Sox come calling.

Twins_Morneau
11-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Now they need to get him signed to a 8-10 year deal before the Yankees and Red Sox come calling.

Amen, if we somehow lost this guy...

I don't even want to think about it.

tstrike2000
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Phenomenal season and the fact he did it as a catcher is pretty amazing in itself.

TDog
11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Mauer had an amazing season. He may have benefited statistically by getting a late start to the season because of an injury -- that is he didn't wear down as much as catchers tend to. A cynic would also note that he caught a lot of home games with the air conditioning blowing into his face instead of in the heat of summer.

But the Twins might not have had to wait for the inevitable Tigers collapse had Mauer been healthy all year. I thought he truly was the most valuable player in the league, and as much as people here love Pierzynski, I think the Sox would have run away with the Central if Mauer were in the silver and black and Pierzynski were back with the Twins.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Derek Jeter finished 3rd? Did I miss something, why was he even in consideration? Aside from his avg, his stats weren't very overwhelming.

DSpivack
11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Derek Jeter finished 3rd? Did I miss something, why was he even in consideration? Aside from his avg, his stats weren't very overwhelming.

Ahh, yes, but he's the captain!

mccoydp
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Joe Mauer's win was a no-brainer to me. Congrats to him!

doublem23
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM

People are blinded by the pinstripes.

Dibbs
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
The AL is the better league, but this has been very weak back to back MVPs for the AL these last two years. Look at Pujols numbers. Now that's an MVP.

Dibbs
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM

The same could be said for Mauer.

Oblong
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Actually I think Jeter had the kind of year this year that the national media thinks he's had his whole career. It was one of his best, if not the best. I'm the first one to jump on the "Jeter's overrated" bandwagon but not this year. Even his defense, which was always in my opinion poor, was not only better this year, it was actually good.

As for Mauer... what can you say. He deserved it and as much as I hate the Twins it's hard to hate him.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Mauer at least had close to 100 RBI's while Jeter had a mere 66.

Mauer missed a month of the season and carried his team to the top of the AL Central.

Jeter played the whole year except for 9 games and wasn't even the MVP of his team.

gobears1987
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
The AL is the better league, but this has been very weak back to back MVPs for the AL these last two years. Look at Pujols numbers. Now that's an MVP.

I'd like to see those numbers if Pujols faced AL pitchers.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM

They'd still be the same. Give him a couple ab's at new Yankee stadium, US Cellular, the ballpark in Arlington and I think you can add a couple more HR's to his total. Not to mention, pitchers won't be able to pitch around him anymore considering he'd more than likely have more protection behind him.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Mauer at least had close to 100 RBI's while Jeter had a mere 66.

Mauer missed a month of the season and carried his team to the top of the AL Central.

Jeter played the whole year except for 9 games and wasn't even the MVP of his team.
I say this through clenched teeth, but in 2009 Joe Mauer was the very embodiment of what this award represents. Imagine these Twins without him (*drifts off to a happy place for a moment*), especially with Justin Morneau forgetting how to play baseball toward the end. Is a team whose best players are Jason Kubel, Denard Span, and Michael Cuddyer even in the discussion for a division title?

PKalltheway
11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh, come on now. The AL is better than the NL, but let's not be facetious. Pujols is the best hitter in baseball, hands down. Sox fans would be happier than a pig in **** if they signed Albert Pujols.

PaleHoser
11-24-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd like to know who the guy was who put down his crack pipe long enough to cast the first place ballot for Miguel Cabrera.

Nellie_Fox
11-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I'd like to know who the guy was who put down his crack pipe long enough to cast the first place ballot for Miguel Cabrera.A Detroit sportswriter who wants to make sure he gets interviews.

Craig Grebeck
11-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Ok. Here are Pujols' numbers: .327/.443/.658
And here are Mauer's: .364/.444/.587

So what are you bitching about? He's a catcher. Catchers don't usually win the slashline triple crown, but Mauer did. He's an amazing baseball player, and arguably more valuable than Albert.

No, again, not true.

doublem23
11-24-2009, 05:18 AM

:scratch:

He lead the A.L. in slugging and OBP. If you're looking just at his cumulative stats, remember he didn't debut this year until May 1. Oh yeah, he's a Gold Glove winning catcher.

I wish the Twins would have drafted Prior.

BadBobbyJenks
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
A Detroit sportswriter who wants to make sure he gets interviews.

Actually, I just heard on Mike and Mike that it was a Seattle writer.

Dibbs
11-24-2009, 10:57 AM
:scratch:

He lead the A.L. in slugging and OBP. If you're looking just at his cumulative stats, remember he didn't debut this year until May 1. Oh yeah, he's a Gold Glove winning catcher.

I wish the Twins would have drafted Prior.

His cumulative stats are very low and those are most important. Gold Glove awards mean nothing to me.

You could say the exact opposite about averages and OBP. The less plate appearances, the more likely they can be higher.

doublem23
11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
His cumulative stats are very low and those are most important. Gold Glove awards mean nothing to me.

You could say the exact opposite about averages and OBP. The less plate appearances, the more likely they can be higher.

That would be a relevant point if he had led the league by a few points, hell, I'll give you up to 10. Kevin Youkilis finished 2nd, 31 points behind Mauer, the same distance that seprated Youkilis from Victor Martinez, who finished 16th in the league.

The MVP isn't a "best stats" award, and surely not only cumulative stats that can be strongly misinterpreted if a guy misses some time. Mauer had a fantastic offensive season and is dominant at the most important defensive position on the field. There is absolutely no way anyone in the league is more valuable than him right now.

voodoochile
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Oh, come on now. The AL is better than the NL, but let's not be facetious. Pujols is the best hitter in baseball, hands down. Sox fans would be happier than a pig in **** if they signed Albert Pujols.

I'd be willing to prance down Michigan Avenue naked this coming Friday singing Xmas songs and offering to high five cops if the Sox somehow acquired Albert. That pig would be depressed compared to me...

Oblong
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

"Very Low"? 94 runs, 96 RBI, 28 HR, 191 hits, 76 walks is very low? Granted he only had 4 steals but come on, he's a catcher.

Craig Grebeck
11-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Wait, so you think counting stats (i.e. hits, RsBI, runs, etc.) are more important than rate statistics? Could you defend that, please?

He had over 600 plate appearances. That's most definitely a significant sample -- especially for a catcher.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
:rolling: at the fact that someone actually believes Mauer didn't deserve this award.

Dibbs, you wouldn't happen to be a sportswriter from Seattle, would you?

Dibbs
11-24-2009, 07:32 PM
"Very Low"? 94 runs, 96 RBI, 28 HR, 191 hits, 76 walks is very low? Granted he only had 4 steals but come on, he's a catcher.

I do think these are very low stats for an MVP. None of those stats are very impressive or anywhere near the league lead. I bet his average and OBP would be much lower had he played in April like the rest of the league.

I am not saying he is a bad choice for the award, just that the ALs MVPs the last two years have had weak statistics.

Craig Grebeck
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I do think these are very low stats for an MVP. None of those stats are very impressive or anywhere near the league lead. I bet his average and OBP would be much lower had he played in April like the rest of the league.

I am not saying he is a bad choice for the award, just that the ALs MVPs the last two years have had weak statistics.
False, false, false.

Dibbs
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
False, false, false.

Check out the 2007 AL MVP winner. Those are MVP statistics. I don't care what stat you try to pull out of your behind, the last two years are sub par in my book.

Craig Grebeck
11-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Check out the 2007 AL MVP winner. Those are MVP statistics. I don't care what stat you try to pull out of your behind, the last two years are sub par in my book.
Okay. .314/.422/.645. A damn good season. MVP quality. 1.067 OPS -- pretty damn good.

So how does that render Mauer's line of .365/.444/.587 subpar?

Edit: keep in mind the adjustment made for position. A 1.031 OPS from a catcher is insane.

Dibbs
11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay. .314/.422/.645. A damn good season. MVP quality. 1.067 OPS -- pretty damn good.

So how does that render Mauer's line of .365/.444/.587 subpar?

Edit: keep in mind the adjustment made for position. A 1.031 OPS from a catcher is insane.

I can't argue with you because you would think Mauer had the better season if his OPS was higher than A-Rod's in 2007. I am not against what you believe in, but total statistics are facts as well. 143 runs 54HRs 156 RBIs 95BB and 24SB are insanely impressive stats that are truly MVP worthy.

DSpivack
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I can't argue with you because you would think Mauer had the better season if his OPS was higher than A-Rod's in 2007. I am not against what you believe in, but total statistics are facts as well. 143 runs 54HRs 156 RBIs 95BB and 24SB are insanely impressive stats that are truly MVP worthy.

But a season like that, from a catcher who also is among the best defensive catchers like that in the game? And it's not like anyone hit 54 HRs and drove in 156 this season, the only comparison for me is to all of the other players in his league in that season. And in 2009, Mauer was far and away the most valuable player to his team in the American League.

oeo
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM

The same reason he has multiple Gold Gloves when he should never have even sniffed one.

voodoochile
11-25-2009, 12:36 AM

That's just a strawman argument. Mauer's overall numbers are as impressive as anyone in the AL especially if you add 15% to the numbers for the month he missed.

If not Mauer, who in the AL is more deserving this year of the award?

Dibbs
11-25-2009, 12:47 AM
But a season like that, from a catcher who also is among the best defensive catchers like that in the game? And it's not like anyone hit 54 HRs and drove in 156 this season, the only comparison for me is to all of the other players in his league in that season. And in 2009, Mauer was far and away the most valuable player to his team in the American League.

Once again, find a post where I said he didn't deserve the MVP. Just pointing out the fact that the last two MVPs have been subpar in my opinion.

DSpivack
11-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Once again, find a post where I said he didn't deserve the MVP. Just pointing out the fact that the last two MVPs have been subpar in my opinion.

I understand your numbers argument, and I didn't say you don't think he deserved it, nor did I mean to imply that. I really don't think Mauer's season was subpar, though, when taking into account defense and what position he plays.

Craig Grebeck
11-25-2009, 05:31 AM
I think Mauer had a season as valuable as A-Rod's 2007. You're underrating the value of an offensively skilled catcher.

OPS isn't the crux of my argument -- positional adjustment is.

Mohoney
11-25-2009, 06:27 AM

PEDs totally cloud that stat line, wouldn't you say?

Twins_Morneau
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Don't forget Mauer missed the 1st month of the season..

doublem23
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM

That's already been pointed out at least 3 times in this thread.

Twins_Morneau
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
That's already been pointed out at least 3 times in this thread.

Sorry missed it.

Dibbs
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

That means nothing to me. The fact is he didn't play in April, and those are his numbers on the year. Like I said earlier, he didn't have to play in April when many hitters start the season slow. His average and OBP could have been 20+ points lower if he played that month. The argument goes both ways.

Dibbs
11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I am sorry guys, but I just really have a blind hatred for the Twins. I will find any reason I can to diminish any of their accomplishments.

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
...he didn't have to play in April when many hitters start the season slow.And Mauer has not been one of them. His month-by-month splits on base-ball reference.com show excellent April and May numbers.

voodoochile
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
That means nothing to me. The fact is he didn't play in April, and those are his numbers on the year. Like I said earlier, he didn't have to play in April when many hitters start the season slow. His average and OBP could have been 20+ points lower if he played that month. The argument goes both ways.

But his totals for HR, RBI, Runs, etc. would have all been higher and that was the reason you objected to his winning the award. Now you've changed your position to talk about his averages possibly dropping. If you are going to move the goalposts every time someone pokes a hole in your argument, it will be tough to ever come to a meeting of the minds...

Dibbs
11-25-2009, 02:26 PM
But his totals for HR, RBI, Runs, etc. would have all been higher and that was the reason you objected to his winning the award. Now you've changed your position to talk about his averages possibly dropping. If you are going to move the goalposts every time someone pokes a hole in your argument, it will be tough to ever come to a meeting of the minds...

That in no way is poking a hole in my argument. He didn't play in April. I am taking the flip side of the ridiculous argument people are making because he was out that month.

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
That in no way is poking a hole in my argument. He didn't play in April. I am taking the flip side of the ridiculous argument people are making because he was out that month.But you didn't respond to the fact that Mauer is not a slow starter, and has always had very good Aprils.

doublem23
11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I am sorry guys, but I just really have a blind hatred for the Twins. I will find any reason I can to diminish any of their accomplishments.

You could have saved about 50 posts if you would have admitted this Monday. It seemed like you were actually trying to make a logical case as to why Joe Mauer shouldn't have been the American League MVP (which there, of course, is none).

If you want to say Joe Mauer sucks because he's a Twin and the Twins, as we all know, suck... Well, you'll get no argument from me. :gulp:

TDog
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
And Mauer has not been one of them. His month-by-month splits on base-ball reference.com show excellent April and May numbers.

I think Mauer would have had a lower batting average if he had played in April simply because he played so much, being so valuable to the offense, that he would have been worn down some at season's end. At the All-Star break there was even speculation that he could hit .400 because wouldn't be as worn down as others. That doesn't diminish his season accomplishments, however. He was the definition of a most valuable player.

Of course, you just can't sit out April to help your team succeed late in the season. A few years ago when Wood and Prior missed starts early in the Cubs' season, the optimistic Cubs fans were excited that they would be lights out in September and October, the memory of Wood and Prior not being able to get the job done with a 3-2 NLCS lead at home still fresh in their minds. It didn't work out that way, of course.

Nellie_Fox
11-26-2009, 02:04 AM
I think Mauer would have had a lower batting average if he had played in April simply because he played so much, being so valuable to the offense, that he would have been worn down some at season's end.Past years' numbers don't support that. Gardenhire gets him enough rest.